Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Parts 1 and 2

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Re: [Active Thread] Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Part 1

Post by JPetherick »

The black egg is evil, states Worrel in a firm manner. Or, rather, the things inside are evil. I think it is better to destroy the black egg than risk releasign whatever is inside.
Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

While everyone is discussing the merits of keeping or destroying the black egg Prost moves quietly to 1009 to see what’s around the corner to the north.
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The black egg is evil, states Worrel in a firm manner. Or, rather, the things inside are evil. I think it is better to destroy the black egg than risk releasign whatever is inside.

Hmm, yesss, probably shrugs Hishka, The black-ssscaled queen isss evil. Isss her nature, ssso isss no sssurprissse her egg isss evil, too. If you do asss your nature tellsss you, then, with the black egg. We ssshall not interfere, asss long asss you do not harm our eggsss.

While everyone is discussing the merits of keeping or destroying the black egg Prost moves quietly to the edge of the sandy bank to see what’s around the corner to the north. The wide tunnel continues about 50 feet then quickly slopes downward and comes to an end. The water at the end is stagnant and covered with a layer of scum and tiny floating plants.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Treasure for me to add to big list:
  • A large pile of coins (it will be 5,320 sp, 1,930 gp, and 21 pp once you have time to count it)
  • Six potions
  • A ring

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Lola: loaded crossbow readied, 45 bolts left, light cast on a bolt at 1108, 8 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: charged mind blade longsword and sunrod readied, 17 bolts left, 4 hp damage
Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 0 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, wand of CLW 21 charges left, 6 hp damage
Fluffy: 8 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 +1 bullets and 49 normal bullets left, darkvision 176.0 minutes left, water breathing ~10 hours left, 14 hp damage
Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 36 arrows left, 4 hp damage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola agrees we should destroy the egg, but not in here. Just in case. Lets take it out of here and then we can smash it.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius reminds Lola that Hishka doesn't want to destroy the black egg for fear of offending the Black-Scaled Queen, but agrees it should be removed from the other eggs -- perhaps to a small pool of its own -- lest it be a danger to those eggs.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Egg! That big Black egg...how are we going to move it? It's as big as me Prost comments as if he was listening to the conversation the whole time.

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

CGM3 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:09 pm Cyrius reminds Lola that Hishka doesn't want to destroy the black egg for fear of offending the Black-Scaled Queen, but agrees it should be removed from the other eggs -- perhaps to a small pool of its own -- lest it be a danger to those eggs.
Lola says to Cyrius, Hishka says we can do what we feel is right with the egg. If it is evil, why would we want to leave it to hatch and bring more evil into this world?
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex is sure to collect the coins, potions and the ring. Then he'll stow his bow and pull out his axe. An unnatural black egg that our Paladin says is evil. Why discuss it further? He moves toward the egg (careful of the other eggs).
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Hishka watches as the party discusses the black egg and does not interfere as Tex moves toward it, since the dwarf is being careful of the other eggs.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost moves to flank the black egg, with Tex. He moves carefully so he doesn’t harm the other eggs.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Updated the map. The DM is eager to find out what happens next...

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Lola: loaded crossbow readied, 45 bolts left, light cast on a bolt at 1108, 8 hp damage
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: charged mind blade longsword and sunrod readied, 17 bolts left, 4 hp damage
Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 0 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, wand of CLW 21 charges left, 6 hp damage
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 +1 bullets and 49 normal bullets left, darkvision 175.5 minutes left, water breathing ~10 hours left, 14 hp damage
Texudus TreeBender: battleaxe readied, 36 arrows left, 4 hp damage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex looks at Worrel.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost examines the Black eggshell...
OUT OF CHARACTER
can he determine if he can slice it open...is that a perception roll...Prost has a vile of acid he is thinking about dumping into the egg. Would that be a perception check...? or knowledge nature Tex?

Prost puts away his sling staff, grabs a vile of acid, and pokes the egg with his MW Short sword...

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius moves to 2606 and stands ready in case something happens.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel listens to the conversation, nodding as his companions speak.

"I will try to move it ... I am protected, somewhat, from evil. I agree that we should not risking the eggs of the lizard-men," says the paladin.

["Have we asked the lizard-men where servants of the Black-Scaled Queen came from?
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola makes sure she is ready with her crossbow in case anything happens. She will also be ready to cast Bless if things go south from here, but will not cast it yet.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Prost puts away his sling staff, grabs a vial of acid, and pokes the egg with his masterwork short sword. The egg wobbles a bit more than he anticipated after his poke, like something inside is moving. But it seems the shell is rather sturdy and probably will require some effort to pierce... [I assumed on this first poke that you were experimenting. After this, if anyone wants to hit the egg hard, just roll damage; no attack roll is required]

Cyrius moves to the edge of the pool and stands ready in case something happens.

Lola makes sure she is ready with her crossbow in case anything happens. She's also ready to cast Bless if things go south from here, but doesn't cast it yet.

Worrel listens to the conversation, nodding as his companions speak. I will try to move it ... I am protected, somewhat, from evil. I agree that we should not risking the eggs of the lizard-men, says the paladin. Have we asked the lizard-men where servants of the Black-Scaled Queen came from?

Hiskha answers, The Black-Ssscaled Queen usssed to live here, just sssomewhat deeper in the ssswamp. But we have not ssseen her for ssseveral moonsss. We heard her sssay to King Ssshukack ssshe had a new lair far away, but would return when the time isss right...

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Evan Prost: short sword and acid flask readied, 3 +1 bullets and 49 normal bullets left, darkvision 175.0 minutes left, water breathing ~10 hours left, 14 hp damage
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex will help Worrel move the egg if he needs it. Over there on the sand?

He indicates the way they came, from the east. (around 2906)
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

"Yes, we will move it away from the lizard men eggs before we destroy whatever is inside, says Worrel.

He sheathes his sword and moves his shield out of the way before bending to heft the egg. After he gets the load settled, he carries it to the east to the open area of sand.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Pausing here in case something happens during movement of the egg.

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost helps move the egg...

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Worrel sheathes his sword and moves his shield out of the way before bending to heft the egg. As he begins carefully wading through the egg pool, the egg begins wobbling in his grip, as if something inside is writhing or trying to escape. However, Prost and Tex are there to help stabilize the load, so the group of them manage to wrangle the black egg to the east to the open area of sand without damaging any of the other eggs.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Worrel: longsword and shield stowed, 0 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, wand of CLW 21 charges left, 6 hp damage
Evan Prost: short sword and acid flask readied, 3 +1 bullets and 49 normal bullets left, darkvision 174.0 minutes left, water breathing ~10 hours left, 14 hp damage
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola asks, Do you think we can get it into an open area before we destroy it?
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Puzzled By Lola’s question, Prost says... What? It don’t get better than this. Let’s kill it!

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel steps back, shrugging to settle his armor after carrying the egg.

"Did anyone else feel the egg shift?," asks Worrel.

After a moment, the paladin continues, "I think that we may have a fight on our hands when we try to destroy the egg.
Or, maybe, whatever is inside will simply try to escape. Are we prepared to prevent that?"
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

JPetherick wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:33 pm Worrel steps back, shrugging to settle his armor after carrying the egg.

"Did anyone else feel the egg shift?," asks Worrel.

After a moment, the paladin continues, "I think that we may have a fight on our hands when we try to destroy the egg.
Or, maybe, whatever is inside will simply try to escape. Are we prepared to prevent that?"
Lola readies her crossbow, gets to a spot about 15' away, makes sure no one is standing between her and the egg and aims at the egg, and says I am ready.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex will also switch to his bow and step back 15', allowing Worrel and Prost to flank the egg.

He nods that he's ready.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius moves to 2905 and stands ready to act as necessary, indicating his readiness.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost backs away (to 2708) from the egg, calling Fluffy (to 2808) to his side and readies his sling staff, with +1 bullet. I felt it move when we moved it, too.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The party gets ready to see what's inside the egg...

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 +1 bullets and 49 normal bullets left, darkvision 173.8 minutes left, water breathing ~10 hours left, 14 hp damage
Texudus TreeBender: bow readied, 36 arrows left, 4 hp damage
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

OUT OF CHARACTER
It's... the Doctor! :shock:

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”