Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Parts 1 and 2

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Re: [Active Thread] Encounter at Shadow Castle Keep Part 1

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius slogs his way to 3706, waiting for the others to catch up before going further.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola keeps her crossbow loaded and at the ready as she moves out of the water, and in line with the others at the turn in the cave.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost reloads his sling staff, and moves forward to 4003.
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex half swims, half wades his way to 3904.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel wades out of the water towards where the cave extends into darkness. He stops in the light, ready for something to come from the dark area.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Move - to 3606
Held Action - attack if an opponent comes from the darkness

Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 2 Continues

Worrel wades out of the water towards where the cave extends into darkness. He stops in the light, ready for something to come from the dark area.

Lola keeps her crossbow loaded and at the ready as she moves out of the water, and in line with the others at the turn in the cave.

Cyrius slogs his way to where the cave begins to turn, waiting for the others to catch up before going further. His sunrod reveals a little more of the corridor ahead, but it twists north enough to block a complete view of whatever lies ahead.

Round 3 Begins

Prost reloads his sling staff and moves forward.

Tex half swims, half wades his way forward.

OUT OF CHARACTER
The water is waist-deep and counts as difficult terrain (2 squares per square).

Note that it is dark here and Cyrius is carrying the only light. A light source will need to get to at least 3507 to shine around the corner and reveal much more of the cave.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Round 2 Continues:
1. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 0 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, wand of CLW 21 charges left, uninjured
2. Lola: loaded crossbow readied, 49 bolts left, 8 hp damage
3. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: sunrod readied, 17 bolts left, 4 hp damage
4. Fluffy: 11 hp damage
Round 3 Begins:
5. Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 4 +1 bullets left, darkvision 179.1 minutes left, water breathing ~10 hours left, 14 hp damage
6. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 42 arrows left, 4 hp damage
7. Black-scaled dog-lizards (K): K1 9 damage, K2 dead
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel edges forward while remaining within the lit area. He remains ready to protect himself.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Move - 15 ft to 3407
Standard - Fight Defensively (-4 to atk, +2 to AC)

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost double moves and sludges up to 3506.

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola moves up to 3507, ready to fire at a bad guy.
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex moves to 3706, ready to fire.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius moves up to 3606.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 3 Continues

Worrel edges forward while remaining within the lit area. He remains ready to protect himself. It's fortunate that he does, because five crossbow bolts come flying out of the darkness at him [Readied actions were triggered...] Four of the projectiles miss, but one gets through Worrel's defenses, causing him to reel from the unexpected assault [Natural 20, but crit not confirmed, 6 hp damage]

Lola moves up behind Worrel, ready to fire at a bad guy, but she can't see any in the darkness ahead. At least not yet...

Cyrius steps forward just enough that his sunrod reveals a sliver of the tunnels ahead. The light is just enough to reveal a black-scaled kobold (K4, who was visible in the sliver of light at 2707) with a hand crossbow lurking in the darkness, so Lola takes her readied shot. She fires her crossbow, but the bolt bounces off of some intervening roots.

Round 4 Begins

Prost double moves and sludges up ahead of Cyrius. Thanks to his darkvision potion, he can see two more kobolds (K1 and K3). They shoot their hand crossbows at him [Remaining readied actions triggered], but miss.

Tex moves into the line, ready to fire. Since his position and darkvision give him a clear shot at K4 (at 2707), he takes it. His arrow spears a neat wound in the creature's side [6 hp damage]

Wounded K4 moves north into the darkness, out of sight even of Prost and Tex thanks to the shape of the tunnel. K1 and K3 reload their crossbows and fire again at Prost. They miss. Another four crossbow bolts come out of the darkness from the northwest of Worrel. They all miss or bounce harmlessly off his shield.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Note that it is dark here and Cyrius is carrying the only light. Right now it reveals only a small sliver of the cave ahead. The shaded triangle below that where K1 and K3 are standing is still dark, but Prost and Tex can see there thanks to darkvision.

To be clear: only Prost and Tex can currently see K1 and K3

The red arrow shows where K4 was and the direction he escaped in.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Round 4 Continues:
1. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 0 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, wand of CLW 21 charges left, 6 hp damage
2. Lola: unloaded crossbow readied, 48 bolts left, 8 hp damage
3. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: sunrod readied, 17 bolts left, 4 hp damage
Round 5 Begins:
5. Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 4 +1 bullets left, darkvision 179.0 minutes left, water breathing ~10 hours left, 14 hp damage
6. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 41 arrows left, 4 hp damage
7. Black-scaled dog-lizards (K): K1 9 damage, K2 dead, K3 uninjured, K4 6 damage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost fires slings a +1 bullet at K1 and reloads with a normal bullet.

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Seeing Prost fire into the darkness, Lola assumes something must be there. She cast Light on her crossbow bolt and fires it in the general direction Prost fired.
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel waits to see what the Light spell reveals ...
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex will fire at K1 and/or K3. If he needs to step to 3705 he'll do so.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting on Cyrius

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Steeling himself, Cyrius steps up to 3307.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 4 Continues

Worrel waits to see what the Light spell reveals ...

Seeing Prost fire into the darkness, Lola assumes something must be there. She casts Light on her crossbow bolt and fires it in the general direction Prost fired...
OUT OF CHARACTER
Technically, this is too many actions: a move to reload the crossbow, a standard action to cast light, and another standard action to fire the crossbow. However, since you're not really aiming at anything and this isn't going to be quite as effective as you might have planned, I'm going to let you pull the trigger for free. This one time only. I know it seems like I'm being a stickler, but I also don't want to go down the hole of rewriting the rules...

The "bolt of light" briefly illuminates a roomful of kobolds, then flies onward. It sails over a shallow pool full of hundreds of tiny pale leathery eggs. Finally, it embeds itself in a wall of intertwined mangaroo roots and trunks just above a low dirt embankment with three wooden chests on it. The bolt has traveled so far that the nearby kobolds remain in darkness...

...but only briefly, as Cyrius, steeling himself, steps up into the darkness, his sunrod lighting the way. Five kobolds lurk in the north part of the room, holding hand crossbows. They do not immediately fire at Cyrius, having just finished reloading.

Round 5 Begins

Prost slings a +1 bullet into the still darkened corner of the room. The solid impact sets K1 to ringing like a bell. A bell that has tolled its last [7 hp damage kills K1]. Prost reloads with a normal bullet.

Tex fires rapidly at K3, but both arrows miss.

All six of the kobolds fire their little crossbows at Cyrius. All six of them miss, even the one he can't see. Most of the kobolds reload, but K4 runs back into the dark corner instead.

OUT OF CHARACTER
The shaded triangle where K3 and K4 are standing is still dark, but Prost and Tex can see there thanks to darkvision. So right now, only Prost and Tex can currently see K3 and K4. Cyrius will light them up if he moves any farther into the room, though.

Cyrius has a standard action left and Worrel has a full round, so you two can take those extra actions on your next turn.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Round 5 Continues:
1. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 0 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, wand of CLW 21 charges left, EXTRA FULL ROUND THIS TURN, 6 hp damage
2. Lola: unloaded crossbow readied, 47 bolts left, light cast on a bolt at 1108, 8 hp damage
3. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: sunrod readied, 17 bolts left, EXTRA STANDARD ACTION THIS TURN, 4 hp damage
Round 6 Begins:
5. Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 +1 bullets left, darkvision 178.9 minutes left, water breathing ~10 hours left, 14 hp damage
6. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 39 arrows left, 4 hp damage
7. Black-scaled dog-lizards (K): K1 and K2 dead, K4 6 damage, the rest uninjured
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius uses his remaining standard action to fling his mind blade at K8 (who is either a kobold or a black-scaled dog-lizard, must be the bad lighting):
(which failed unless it has a very low AC)
He then moves forward, re-materializing his mind blade as a longsword (free action) to 3006 (if K8 is still standing) and swings at K8, or to 2906 (if K8 went down) to attack K7.
Somebody's goin' down!
ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex will move up to take Cyrius' spot at 3307 and fires once at K5. Too far for Point Blank. He lines up carefully using deadly aim.

Tex mutters a curse under his breath...
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel moves around Cyrius, peering into the poorly lit area to the south. His low-light vision reveals the two kobolds, so he maneuveres until is next to the two kobolds along the south wall. He then swings with all his might at the pair before they have a chance to drop their crossbows.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Double Move to 2807
Cleave attack on K3 and K4

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will reload her crossbow and fire at K5.

OUT OF CHARACTER
It appears Rollz is offline now, so those are broken links. I will have to try and roll again later.

smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost fires (a normal bullet) at K4...
ImageImage
and reloads (nornal bullet)

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

kabkal wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:28 am Lola will reload her crossbow and fire at K5.

OUT OF CHARACTER
It appears Rollz is offline now, so those are broken links. I will have to try and roll again later.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Trying dice rolls again.

Image 22 to hit (18+4)
Image 5 damage if hits
OUT OF CHARACTER
Not sure why I cannot bring in the graphics, I used to be able to do that without a problem. Must be doing something wrong or the site has changed something. If anyone has any suggestions????

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 5 Continues

Worrel moves around Cyrius, peering into the completely dark area to the south. Since Cyrius' light doesn't shine around corners, Worrel's low-light vision is no help and he waits for Cyrius to follow before executing the rest of his plan...

Lola reloads her crossbow and fires at K5. The bolt quivers in flight, eagerly anticipating the violent conclusion of the mission on which it has been sent [5 hp damage]

Cyrius flings his mind blade at one of the black-scaled dog-lizards, who might be a kobold, now that Cyrius thinks about it. Kind of a weird colored, more thickly scaled kobold, Cyrius decides. This thoughtful consideration of the enemy's identity helps guide his blade into a skilfully placed shot that rakes across K8 [5 hp damage]

Cyrius then moves forward, re-materializing his mind blade as a longsword. He takes a swing that flows like water across K8 and the silent grace of his attack is followed by a faint gurgling [critical for 20 hp kills K8].

With the entire area now lit, Worrel maneuvers until is next to the two kobolds along the south wall. He then swings with all his might at the pair before they have a chance to drop their crossbows. His assault doesn't end until there is nothing left of K4 but a mauled ruin [9 hp damage kills K4] and K3 is pretty messed up too [6 hp damage]

Round 6 Begins

With K4 down, Prost fires at K3, but the obstructed view means he misses, so he reloads.

Tex moves up to take Cyrius' spot and fires once at K5, lining up carefully using deadly aim. He mutters a curse under his breath when the arrow misses.

Dropping their crossbows, the weird colored, more thickly scaled kobolds draw rapiers and reposition themselves around Worrel, stabbing and clawing. Even though a couple of them have flanking, none of their attacks get past the paladin's defenses.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Round 6 Continues:
1. Lola: unloaded crossbow readied, 46 bolts left, light cast on a bolt at 1108, 8 hp damage
2. Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: mind blade longsword and sunrod readied, 17 bolts left, 4 hp damage
3. Worrel: longsword and shield readied, 0 arrows left, 0 lay on hands left, 1 smite evil left, wand of CLW 21 charges left, 6 hp damage
Round 7 Begins:
5. Evan Prost: loaded slingstaff readied, 3 +1 bullets and 51 normal bullets left, darkvision 178.8 minutes left, water breathing ~10 hours left, 14 hp damage
6. Texudus TreeBender: longbow readied, 38 arrows left, 4 hp damage
7. Black-scaled dog-lizards (K): K1, K2, K4, and K8 dead, K3 6 damage, K5 5 damage, the rest uninjured
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Athena be with us! Cyrius cries exultantly, charging his mind blade with psychic energy and hewing at K7 again.
And misses (oops, meant K7). :evil:
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Worrel turns and attempts to dispatch the three unwounded kobolds to the north, swinging without regard for his protection. After his attack, he steps so that his back is against the cave wall.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Great Cleave - striking K5, K6 and K7
Free - step 5 ft to 2708

ElectroZman
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by ElectroZman »

Tex will step to 3206 and fire two arrows at K3.

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will reload her crossbow and fire once again at K5 (if it is still standing, if it is not, the next closest clean shot)

To Hit: 24 (20+4)
Crit Confirm: 9 (5+4)
Damage: 8
OUT OF CHARACTER
Again cannot load the screen shots, so brought scores in from the page itself. If I have time this week I will look into why this stopped working for me.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”