{Modern Setting} The Whispering Cave (Entrance)

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Re: [Active Thread] The Wispering Cave (Entrance)

Post by CGM3 »

Feelings... oh, oh, oh, feeeelings...
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Come on kids, get out of there before something bad happens.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

tdsprouse wrote:Brad shakes his head... whoa... He turns, sees Linda is out of it too.

He quickly strips off his coat and covers the face with it.
OUT OF CHARACTER
The wind is far too strong to get the coat anywhere near the face (you can't even move forward). Even if you could get the coat there, it would immediately blow away down the corridor! Brad could cover his own face or Linda's with his coat...

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Brad Strips off his coat, turns his back on the face, and cover Linda's face with his coat. He then pulls them both flat to the ground (less profile for the wind to push?) and begins to crawl towards the entrance coaxing/pushing linda in front of him.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry, completely fforgot about the wind when typing my action

Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Brad removes his coat (move action) and drapes it over Linda's head (move action), where it is plastered firmly to her face by the wind. He then turns away from the face and drops to the ground (free action), while maintaining touch with Linda's arm, in an effort to coax her to drop to the ground as well (physically dragging Linda down with him would be a standard action, so he can't accomplish that this round).

Having the coat draped over her face breaks the hypnotic effect of the rainbow of lights on Linda, so she is now able to act this round!
OUT OF CHARACTER
Once I have Linda's Round 2 action, I'll validate that and move to Round 3. Probably no will saves will be needed in Round 3, since Brad is facing away and Linda might have a coat over her head.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda turns around, peeks past the side of the coat to make sure she's pointed in the right direction (away from the face), and starts staggering towards the open end of the corridor.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Linda manages to makes almost to the drop-off at the end of the corridor before...

ROUND 3

The wind increases in strength again, becoming a full windstorm (just under 75 mph). Linda needs a Fort save to avoid being knocked prone. Since Brad is already prone, he doesn't need a save, unless he tries to stand up.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda tries to keep her balance against the increasing wind:

Fort Save: 1d20 + 4 = 14
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:Linda tries to keep her balance against the increasing wind:

Fort Save: 1d20 + 4 = 14
The wind has knocked Linda prone, but she can still act.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda crawls towards the end of the passageway that lets out into the lower cave.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:Linda crawls towards the end of the passageway that lets out into the lower cave.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Crawling 5 feet as a move action will put Linda within arm's reach of the edge, including the lantern chain. Does she want to do anything else?

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Brad, seelingly able to hold off the wind right now, moves toward the source (goes to 1032 with belly crawl). still on his belly, 5' move. THINKING: Maybe the wind would be lessened here right below the source. and, i suppose getting off the triger palte would be a good idea too.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda will reserve the rest of her action (waiting to see what Brad does).
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid waits impatiently at the bottom.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Brad struggles and struggles, finally managing to crawl backwards a little closer to the face. Unfortunately, he finds the wind there undiminished.
OUT OF CHARACTER
It's not completely clear from the rules whether Brad should even be able to crawl into the wind. I decided to allow it, but call it his full action for the round. I'm assuming he didn't also turn back around to get hypnotized by the lights.

Linda makes it to within arm's reach of the edge. Since she can't see what Brad's up to without turning back and subjecting herself to the pretty lights, and Brad doesn't arrive nearby or explain what he's doing, she ends up waiting for nothing.

ROUND 4

The wind increases again. It is now above hurricane strength and greater than 100 mph. Even for Sahid, it is impossible to hear anything but the roaring wind. Brad and Linda need Fort saves to avoid being picked up and blown down the hall!
OUT OF CHARACTER
Roll away and I'll try to validate quickly so you can decide what (if anything) to do about your predicament.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Realizing that screaming in these heavy winds would be pointless, Sahid moves back down the corridor to try to get out of them a little.

OUT OF CHARACTER
I am not catching any falling characters. I will warn of that now.

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

THINKING: Well crap.

Fort Save (1d20+1=17)

If able to act (and not flying through the air), Brad remains prone, but glances up into the face's mouth and looks for a lever or something.

Spot (1d20+2=6)
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

THINKING: Okay, that's a bit brisker than I really care for, thank you very much. I guess "wispering" is the local dialect version of "blowhard"; it sure isn't "whispering"!

Fortitude Save: 1d20+4 = 24

Assuming that succeeds, Linda will either try to reach the chain and climb down that way, or squirm over the lip of the entrance and hang by her hands in order to drop feet first to the ground, whichever seems less perilous.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] The Whispering Cave (Entrance)

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Ack, 14 pages before anyone points out that the thread title is missing an "h"? The GM must punish you for his own mistakes. Okay, he'll just punish Brad.

Brad is picked up by the hurricane-force winds and blown down the corridor 30 feet (Blown away (1d4=3)x10 feet), bouncing off the walls (Nonlethal damage (3d4=4) - 4 hp nonlethal damage) and ending up flat on his belly again. Given his new location, Brad can change his action, if he wants.

Managing to avoid the worst gusts, Linda grabs hold of the swaying lantern chain. (Linda needs a climb check to descend the chain and get out of the wind.)
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Climb check: 1d20+0 = 19

With unexpected ease, Linda shimmies down the lantern chain.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting on an action from Brad

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Very sorry, missed the last update

Brad belly crawls as far as possible to the edge of teh hallway, and will continue till he get there. then will try to jump for the chain and climb down.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Linda successfully climbs down the chain to a point where she's out of the wind. Out of danger, she can now take her time to climb down to safety.

Brad crawls 10' towards the edge, but the wind does not let up. [To expedite determining what happens to Brad, how about two Fort saves, a Reflex save, a Climb check, and a Tumble check?]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Whoa is right. Brad is unable to keep himself anchored as he crawls (failed the first Fort save). The wind picks him up again, bounces him off the ceiling and walls [7 hp more nonlethal], and blows him right off the edge of the corridor!

Fortunately, Brad is still conscious and keeps his wits about him enough to snag the lantern chain as he goes by (made the Reflex save). He averts disaster, but only for a moment.

As he tries to descend the swaying chain to get out of danger, he's unable to maintain a hold (failed the climb check by >4). He falls. He's still alert enough to twist his body in midair and soften the contact with the floor (glad I asked for the tumble check), but the impact still knocks him out [9 lethal, 1 nonlethal from the fall.]. Brad is now lying on the floor at the bottom of the lantern chain, on top of the skeleton of the last fellow to have a similar accident.

Up above in the corridor, the hurricane-force wind continues to howl.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Brad's damage totals are 15 lethal and 12 nonlethal, this puts him at -9, unconscious, but not dying/bleeding out, because it's the nonlethal damage that puts him in the negatives.

Linda is not shown on the map below, because she's still carefully working her way down the lantern chain. Unfortunately, she was concentrating too hard to catch Brad as he fell past.

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

THINKING: I wonder what color 100mph wind is. Oh look, Clowns! Why are they in a boat?
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid rushes up to Brad after he sees him fall. He looks up for Linda THINKING: What the hell? This will never do.

Sahid tries to ascertain if he can move Brad safely without hurting him further.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I assume the winds are too loud for Sahid to call out anything to Linda

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda is concentrating single-mindedly on climbng down the lantern chain, assiduously oblivious to her surroundings.

THINKING: Why can't escalators be a natural feature of caverns, like stalagmites?
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Linda reaches the bottom of the chain. It's still loud, but right here next to each other you find you can communicate by shouting.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Looking about, Linda is surprised to see that Brad got down before she did. Is he all right? she screeches at Sahid in a ladylike fashion.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”