{Modern Setting} Coal City (Rest Day)

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] Coal City (Rest Day)

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Playing darts would be a standard ranged (thrown) attack.

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

While you guys are casing Miz Oh-I'm-Just-So-Irresistible there, I'll wander over towards Mister God's-Gift-To-Women-By-His-Own-Admission and see what he's natterin' about, Linda states. Suiting action to words, she saunters over towards the mechanical bull, stopping on the fringe of Eric Gold's admirers and listening whatever declamation the man is making.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

There is only one empty table in the Hungry Dog. It is on the right hand side of the bar, away from Eric and closer to the dartboards. It seems the "regulars" have avoided that table because it is next to another table occupied by leather-jacketed bikers. The rest of the patrons seem to be giving the group of bikers a wide berth and the waitress looks a bit nervous whenever she goes over to the bikers' table.

Moving over towards Eric, Linda picks up the following bit of his monologue, So, you see, it wasn't just the pyrotechnics. We won because L-Rak was the only one of the True Saints with any real sword training. Also why he decided to retire and take on management full-time. Things are moving more toward skill with the weapons and not just athletic ability. L-Rak's got both, but he doesn't feel like putting together a team with a bunch of strangers.

A man asks a question that Linda can't quite make out, to which Eric replies, Oh, there are still going to be special effects! In fact, just wait until next season and you'll see. It won't just be Kev doing it, either. There are a bunch more folks joining the league who are good with that stuff. And L-Rak's expanding the rules. So you'll see some really cool things. I'm not supposed to tell all the details, but I'll give you a taste: people are going to fly! It's still really about the weapons skills, but the special effects can be a good advantage, just like you saw with us.

After another unintelligble question, Eric says, Hell yeah, there will still be the monster fight! That gets great ratings. You know, in spite of how the announcers make it sound, it's kind of an advantage to get drawn for the monster fight. It looks scary but it's actually a little easier than fighting a trained team. Less tiring. I was a little worried with the True Saints coming off the monster and us worn down from that mess with Badlands. But we got 'em anyway, eh?
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid will sit down at the table by the bikers and wait for the waitress to stop over. When she does, he will flash a friendly smile to her and order a beer. He will try to listen to what is happening over at the dart game and keep an eye on the lady seeker.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Being not much of a lady's man, Marcus still give it a go at darts.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Is there only one dart board? If there are more, Marcus will retrieve darts from the other board and start tossing them, otherwise he'll start with the following dialog.

Hi, I'm Marcus. Would you mind if I had a throw at the board? A friendly game perhaps?
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda makes a mental note to do some research on whatever sport, hobby, or other form of organized insanity Eric is supposed to be doing here.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

There are a couple of dart boards free, so Marcus walks up to the one closest to the action and begins practicing. He is able to hear the woman laugh, Haha! I guess I am very lucky for a beginner! Should we play again? The men who were playing with her mutter and shake their heads no, then wander off to the bar for more beer. Now without any opponents left, the woman turns to Marcus and smiles. Hello, she says, Do you play this game of darting? My friends who were teaching me seem to have gone away... The woman has something of an accent that Marcus cannot place exactly.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus turns to the woman, seeming innocent, What? Oh, darts. I'm not a player. Hi, I'm Marcus, Marcus reaches out his hand in greeting. I was just looking to understand the math in it. Looking at the board, it seems to be equally distributed in a particular method. Do you have any idea of how the points work for this?

With three darts in hand, Marcus throws them one after another.
SpoilerShow
Three darts shooting for bull's eye's. (1d20+1=8, 1d20+1=4, 1d20+1=11)
I'm assuming a stationary target would have a low AC rating?
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Marcus throws his three darts rather poorly. Only the third throw manages to hit the dartboard at all. He hears some snickers from the nearby table of bikers.
OUT OF CHARACTER
The dartboard is stationary, but it's also not a very big target. It's AC 10 to hit the dartboard at all, AC 15 to hit any particular number, and AC 20 to hit the bullseye.

The woman smiles at Marcus' throws, then says, Hello, Mar-cus. My name is Tara. I do not know about these numbers. My new friends just showed me that the object of the darting game is to hit the small eye of bull in the center. We make betting on who can do so the first. She considers where Marcus' darts have ended up, then adds, It seems you are beginner, like me. Maybe we play the betting game and it will be more fair than with my expert teachers?
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

patransom wrote:Marcus throws his three darts rather poorly. Only the third throw manages to hit the dartboard at all. He hears some snickers from the nearby table of bikers.
OUT OF CHARACTER
The dartboard is stationary, but it's also not a very big target. It's AC 10 to hit the dartboard at all, AC 15 to hit any particular number, and AC 20 to hit the bullseye.

The woman smiles at Marcus' throws, then says, Hello, Mar-cus. My name is Tara. I do not know about these numbers. My new friends just showed me that the object of the darting game is to hit the small eye of bull in the center. We make betting on who can do so the first. She considers where Marcus' darts have ended up, then adds, It seems you are beginner, like me. Maybe we play the betting game and it will be more fair than with my expert teachers?
Seeing where his darts land, Marcus chuckles a bit at himself. Turning to the woman, Tara, that's a nice name. your accent is not familiar though. Where do you come from? What brings you hear? Pretending not to notice her invite to playing for money, Marcus returns to the board and gathers his darts, Even the two from the floor. He steps behind the line and throws again.Marcus smiles at his good fortune. He leans closer to Tara, but not enough to make her think he's trying something. Those biker guys think they're good. I can say this because they're laughing at my last throw. What say we team up and play doubles? You and me against two of them. I doubt they'll turn us down. You're a woman and I'm a nerd. He then leans back and retrieves his darts. Though it does take skill, luck also is needed to make me look good.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda is still keeping an eye on Eric Gold.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid orders another beer, leary of the bikers nearby and watches Marcus' interaction with a little amusement. He also keeps an eye on Linda and makes sure she does not get lost in the crowd around Eric.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Tara answers Marcus, I am from Budapest. This seems odd, since her accent doesn't really seem Eastern European. Waving in the general direction of Eric Gold, she continues, I visit here with my friends. We enjoy the hiking and seeing the nature of this area.

When Marcus makes his whispered suggestion, she nods yes, but says outloud, Yes, this sounds like fun, but I wish to know more of you first, Marcus. Are you from this Coal City?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Someone who didn't hear Marcus' whisper could easily jump to unsavory conclusions based on her response :)

She nonchalantly throws her three darts at the board. Two miss the board completely, but the third lands in the bullseye next to Marcus' third shot. Tara looks surprised and laughs, Look. I continue to be lucky, like you!

Sahid finds it easy to keep an eye on Linda across the bar. Her designer clothes make her easy to spot.

Linda can hear Eric continuing to talk about things that make very little sense to her.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus coughs and chuckles a bit playing it off and following her cue. Yes, yes. Well, that wasn't what I meant, but getting to know each other would still be nice, he says as though trying to save face. Me, Cole City? Nah, I'm from further north and a bit more west. He pauses a moment, Budapest ya say? Your accent is not familiar, but I suppose I'm not going to know all dialects I guess. In response to her good shot, As I said, though skill has a major roll in darts; arc of throw, force of throw, and hitting the mark you're aiming for, luck also has an equal role to play in this. Especially for beginners. Marcus retrieves all six darts and hands her three back to her. He then lets her take her turn.

So what trails have you been through? I'm not much for wilderness travel. Give me a computer, and I'm right at home.

While maintaining casual conversation, Marcus will be occasionally, and inconspicuously, trying to find anything of interest, tattoos, medallions, something of her clothing and what-not. If she's wearing anything that might give a clue to where she comes from.
SpoilerShow
Spot check to notice anything on her and Knowledge: Arcane Lore to identify any symbols or such (1d20+1=20, 1d20+9=19)
I hope this yields me something about who she may really be. My spot skill is only a +1 :)
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Tara replies, I do not know the names of these trails, but we are looking for caves. My friends like the stories of ghosts, so we try to find a haunted cave. I think they are trying to scare me! She laughs, then throws her darts. All three miss the board completely. She asks, If you are not for the wilderness, why do you come to this Coal City?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Marcus does not spot anything that would identify where she's from, but his Arcane Lore is good enough to recognize that she is an Elf, a creature of shadow, but the sort that can easily pass as human and therefore requires little cognitive dissonance for non-sensitives to accept.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus throws his darts at the board.Hey seems I have luck on my side. I came here to visit a friend. Haunted caves you say? I've always had a fascination with the supernatural and hauntings. I had no idea this place had such a history or reputation. Where do you and your friends plan on searching next, today or tomorrow or after? If this town is known for ghosts, maybe I'll search for a guide to take me on a tour, learn the history of this place.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Tara goes and retrieves her darts from the floor and Marcus' from the board. I am not in charge of the planning. I just go where my friends are going. She returns and hands Marcus the darts. Looking disappointed at her most recent results, she says, I think I do the darting better when there is the competition. We throw for 10 dollars, most eye of bulls wins?
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Thank you, Marcus says to Tara for the darts. 10 bucks you say? Marcus checks his pockets.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I have no way of knowing if Marcus has this on him with how the wealth system works here. Marcus' current wealth is 4, so I'm assuming no.

I'm sorry Tara, but I must decline. Taking a bet without the funds to back would not be right and my pockets are nearly empty from having a drink and meal earlier. Marcus reaches out to Tara to bid her fare well. It's been nice talking with you, and a pleasure to be with you.
Image Image
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid watches as Marcus and the female talk back and forth, interested in finding out what is going on. He also tries to overhear the nikers behind him, if not for anything more then something to listen to.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
For the record, I indicated to Duniagdra in chat that Marcus could afford the bet - $10 is probably DC3, since a movie ticket is DC3. However, Marcus still isn't interested in betting, so...

Tara shakes Marcus' hand and says, Okay, Marcus. I now go to make sure my friend Eric is not getting into trouble... She tosses her darts back into the board and wanders through the crowd over to the bar, where she grabs Eric's arm and leans against him. Linda observes a bit of impressed jealousy among the people crowded around Eric. Now he's not only a celebrity, but a celebrity with a hot girlfriend.

Sahid finds the bikers' conversation pretty mundane. They are talking about beer, women, and motorcycles.

Marcus walks away from the darts area towards the door, giving Sahid and Linda each a glance suggesting they might want to follow.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda saunters after Marcus, putting a little extra "oomph" in her walk just on general principles.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid finishes his drink and then heads out as well
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Once Linda and Sahid exit the tavern, Marcus brings them up to date on everything he gleaned from the woman. ...on top of that, she is certainly not human. She's an elf from the shadow worlds. That's why she seems so exotic and captivating to most men, and some women. Did either of you pick anything up while in there? Linda, did you try asking that Eric guy why they are here and where they plan on going next? Actually, Tara doesn't have an idea of where they are going yet, only where they been. So that could mean that they don't know about the cave, and opening the subject in the tavern could only lead someone to mentioning it. It won't be long before someone directs them toward the whispering cave anyhow, even if it's not mentioned in this tavern tonight, they are sure to learn of it soon. I say tomorrow we head out before dawn and reach the cave at sunup.
This face thing must have something behind it. and we need to uncover what lies in the sarcophagi.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

I didn't want to call attention to myself, so I just listened t' Eric, Linda tells her companions. All he was talkin' about was that sport-game-whatever he's supposed t' be here promotin', playin' his cover role, I guess. There was mention of a fight with monsters as part of it, like an elimination round, but I don't know if that had any real significance, could've been just patter. But I agree, looks like they're here for whatever's in the cave, so we better get the jump on 'em.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”