{Modern Setting} Coal City (Rest Day)

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

{Modern Setting} Coal City (Rest Day)

Post by patransom »

Carrying Brad out of the cave and down the difficult mountain slope takes more than two hours, but Sahid and Linda manage to accomplish it without injuring themselves or Brad. A cell phone call has Dr. Alexander waiting at the road with the van. He immediately revives Brad and treats some of the superficial injuries. However, it's his medical opinion that Brad needs a full 24 hours bed rest with medical treatment and possibly minor surgery before he's back at fighting strength. So, Dr. Alexander drives all of you to the motel in Coal City, where he's taken a room to treat Eric. He installs Brad in the same room, so he can keep an eye on both of them at once. Sahid and Linda (unless you vehimently object) also take rooms and settle into a much deserved rest after the evening's exertions.

Checking in with Dr. Alexander and his patients in the morning, the doc has good news. He is certain that with his continued care both of them will be fully healthy by tomorrow morning. This leaves you a full day in beautiful and scenic Coal City to entertain yourselves...
OUT OF CHARACTER
Is there anything Sahid and Linda want to do while they wait? You know where the following things are in Coal City: the motel (where you're at), the hospital where Professor Stanley is convalescing (15 minute drive), the pawnshop (walking distance), and the bar (across the street).

CGM3 will have Brad back (if he wants) after the rest day. Linda will probably depart at that point, but there will be a new player joining, and I will keep Dr. Alexander stationed at the motel as medical backup.

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Re: [Active Thread] Coal City (Rest Day)

Post by klakxor »

Before resting for the night, Sahid will download the images from his camera to his laptop.

With the extra day before they go any further, he will check in with Professor Stanley and go through what their finds have been and explain some of the strange events. He will encourage Linda to come with him, since he did not get first hand experience in the swirling lights and heavy winds.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
pat, did you mean CGM3 will get Eric back?

when brad is back in bead, he'll give Sahid his account of what happend in the tunnel. including the pressure plate 10' in front of the face at teh end of the hall, it triggered the wind and hypno-lights.

Otherwise, he will rest.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

tdsprouse wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER

OUT OF CHARACTER
Umm, yeah, Eric. Sorry.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

patransom wrote:
tdsprouse wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER

OUT OF CHARACTER
Umm, yeah, Eric. Sorry.

Oh, then we're not having a brain-switch in the plotline...

Linda will accompany Sahid to see Professor Stanley and relate her experiences. She will suggest they take the pictures from the cave to show him. Then she will either take her leave (carry a report back to HQ?) or be taken over by another player.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

CGM3 wrote:Linda will accompany Sahid to see Professor Stanley and relate her experiences. She will suggest they take the pictures from the cave to show him. Then she will either take her leave (carry a report back to HQ?) or be taken over by another player.
Sahid planned on taking his laptop with him to show the Professor, guess I should have said that too.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

When you get to Professor Stanley's room at Beckley Appalachian Regional Hospital, you find him in animated conversation with a young man, who is sitting in a chair by the Professor's bed, listening intently.

When you enter, Professor Stanley looks up and says to the young man, Speak of the devil! Marcus, these are some of the Smithsonian people I was telling you about!

He says to Sahid and Linda, This is Marcus, a former student of mine. He heard about my little mishap and was kind enough to drive down from D.C. to visit me. He just completed his ESP training program and I was telling him all about my discovery! So, have you explored the Tomb yet? Is it secure from the Seekers? Did you recover any artifacts?
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus stands and approaches each of you, his hand extended in greeting. Hi, Professor Stanley has been bringing me up to speed on much of what is known about this cave and his research. Marcus is of average build and height with short brown hair and fair complexion. So how went your spelunking? He seems excited to learn of what you uncovered.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Nice to meet you Marcus. I guess you would be interested in our findings as well.

Sahid pulls a chair up near the Professor's bed and pulls out his laptop. There were so many interesting things to photograph down there. We ran in to a little trouble with some wolves, but Dr Alexander was able to bandage up the injuries Eric recieved. Linda, Brad and I continued to try and look through, but Brad took a nasty fall and we had to get him out of there. I am sure there is more to find down there and hope once Brad and Eric are up on their feet again we can go back.

Once the laptop boots up, he will show it to Professor Stanley. Here are the pictures I was able to get. This first thing appeared to be some sort of mirror at one time. The carvings in it are runes. I wasn't able to fully translate them, but I think they had something to do with air and transportation..

Sahid then reaches into his pack and pulls out a couple of shards of what looks like black glass. These shards were around the mirror. I would almost tend to believe that the mirror may have been made of it.

The next pictures are of the Dias and the Fresco. These were very interesting. The Fresco was on the wall of a room that depicted very similarly the next room. There was also a small tunnel that Brad retrieved a couple things from. Wish I had remembered to grab them from Brad before we came here. Sahid moves on to the pictures of the sarcophogus and the lanterns. This sarcophogus ahd runes similiar to the ones on the other artifact. As you can see, there were hallways leading down and at the end of each hallway were lanterns and chains. The colors on the lanterns matched the Fresco we saw earlier.

Now Sahid moves to the set of pictures from the hallway. This poor fellow must not have been as lucky as we were or was crazy enought to search through on his own. If you look, when you follow the lantern chain up, there is a small passage. Brad and linda climbed up to see what was in the passage. Linda, do you want to explain these last couple of pictures, since I wasn't there.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Brad and I shinnied up the chain into that upper tunnel and followed it to what appears to be its end, with no side passages we could see, Linda takes up the narrative. That's where we found the carved face on the wall at the end of the tunnel, and at first it was inert. But when Brad approached it, the eyes began to glow with a bright and... hypnotic light, and wind started spewing from the mouth. I got away, after succumbing to the fascination effect, because Brad threw his coat over my head, and was able to descend via the lantern chain. Unfortunately, the wind had increased in force by the time Brad reached the entrance, and I guess it literally blew him out of the tunnel. Sahid and I got him out of the cave and to the road where Doc Alexander picked us up, and here we are.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

After hearing the events described, Marcus responds, What caused the face to activate? Was it him touching it, or did he trigger a mechanism, or was it him just getting too near it? I would love to have a chance to see this first hand, without getting blown away of course. What had you noticed about the sarcophagus? Did you open it, was there anything inside? Tomorrow we should return and have a look. The Professor tells me there are people here that may also be after this place and it's secrets, so we should return as soon as possible, tomorrow perhaps. Today we should keep tabs on these people, shouldn't be hard with all the attention they've attracted.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Professor Stanley is very excited by the pictures on Sahid's laptop. In fact, he would be jumping up and down if his leg weren't in traction. As it stands, he's wiggling around in bed in a comical manner, trying not to interrupt as Sahid and Linda tell the full story. When they finish, he starts talking, grabbling Sahid's computer and holding it up for all of you to see as he clicks through the pictures. It's a little bit like he's giving a lecture in class, except that he's on the verge of babbling.

First, he points to the picture of the broken mirror frame, Sahid, you are quite right that the runes around the outside bear similarity to arcane glyphs signifying transportation. We can probably surmise that this device was somehow used for transportation or long-distance communication before it was broken. How unfortunate that it is damaged! Who knows where it could have taken us or what it could have shown us!

But what's more interesting is this big glyph on the bottom. This is in Vaati! I've seen its like before during my research. It is the language of the Wind Dukes of Aaqa! I also have a hypothesis that Vaati was the original written form of Auran, the arcane language of elemental air. The language of birds. You know that Jethro Tull released an album called 'The Secret Language of Birds' and if you play it backwards, it's all in Auran? But I digress...

Anyway, Vaati is not only the name of the Wind Duke's written language, but also the word for 'Wind Duke' in their language. This specific glyph is a name. It translates as 'Icosiol.' He was a very important Wind Duke, but I'll get to that later...

I would love to have one of those shards, by the way. You've got plenty, and I'm sure ESP won't mind if I take one back to my lab when I get out of here to analyze it. I would get to it faster than they would, and they'll have their own samples. I have no idea what this material is. Feel how it's cold to the touch? It has to be some lost technology or magic of the Wind Dukes!

He skips the fresco picture for a moment, and talks about the sarcophagus, Now this sarcophagus confirms my suspicions completely. We've found a tomb from the Fields of Pesh! The glyph is also Vaati and is another name, 'Zosiel.' Both Zosiel and Icosiol were Wind Dukes who fell in the final conflict with the Queen of Chaos. Icosiol was a general and Zosiel was a minor warrior, but a hero! Both their names are recorded in a book called the Chronicle of Chan, along with the names of many other Wind Dukes. Of course, conventional historians have called the Chronicle of Chan pure fiction, but now we have proof that it's true. Two names from the book found here in West Viriginia! I'm going to call one of my graduate students and have him FedEx me a copy of the book! I think you'll find it fascinating. It's a first-hand account of the Wind Dukes' final battle.

So it would appear we've found the final resting place of the hero Zosiel! This is huge. You must go back and open the sarcophagus. The Wind Dukes were very much a culture that honored their dead. Imagine the historical significance of whatever artifacts they would have buried with a hero!

He clicks back to the picture of the fresco, Now, I'm not sure of the significance of this picture, since it seems to just be a depiction of Zosiel's tomb from the position of the sarcophagus. What I do notice is that in the fresco, all the lanterns are lit. Clicking through the pictures of the Tomb (I think you took pictures of each alcove, right?), he continues, It looks like the Tomb is missing some of the lanterns from the fresco and only one is lit. Could that mean something? What would happen if you duplicated the fresco? Found all the lanterns and lit them?

He switches back to the sarcophagus again, Another thing I just thought of. The stone on which the sarcophagus rests is shaped like an arrow. Which lantern does it point to? Could that have some significance? The Wind Dukes were well known for puzzles and riddles, you know.

Finally, he moves on to the screaming face, This is interesting. It appears demonic in visage and the demons of the Queen of Chaos were the Wind Dukes' foes. Very appropriate, then, that it would be a trap. And, of course, the trap had to do with wind! It's a Wind Duke Tomb, after all. But such an odd place for a trap, not guarding the tomb itself, but above and to one side. Perhaps there's more to the complex and the trap is there to guard that part? Maybe this is mass tomb and more important Wind Dukes are buried beyond? Maybe Icosiol himself, since we saw his name. Or maybe Qadeej? Wouldn't that be something?

This is a huge find! It confirms much of my work. The Appalachian Mountains were once the Fields of Pesh! He squirms in the bed, Damn this leg! I wish I could explore it myself. Can I copy these pictures to my machine? I'd like to look at them some more and think about their significance. How soon are you going back?
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus looks at the Professor. Um, well, okay then. Professor, I would love to have a read of this book. You know how deep my interest in this is. I would be grateful and honored. Marcus looks to Sahid and Linda, If you don't mind, I'll accompany you on this mission. I have many useful skills and talents. If you do mind, well, I'll come along anyway. Sahid, perhaps you could load those pictures onto a CD and give a copy to Professor Stanly and he can study them while we're gone. Professor, we can give you our cell numbers and you can update us on any inspiration that strikes you.
Image Image
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid looks from the Professor to Marcus and back again. Honestly, as long as he doesn't break it with all his wriggling, I have no problem leaving the laptop here with him while we go off in to the cave tomorrow. However, given that we have the entire day, he can either copy them on to a cd or on to his laptop so that we can make sure we have multiple copies.

And Professor, you can keep that shard if you like. I have a couple more and if possible, I am going to look for any larger pieces when we go back.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

It only takes a few minutes for the professor to copy the photos from Sahid's laptop to his own, using the hospital's WiFi network. He is only too happy to keep the black shard, Maybe I can get one of the nurses to FedEx it to Morgantown for me and one of the graduate students can start analyzing it right away... But first, let me see about getting my copy of the Chronicle of Chan sent down here... After the pictures are done copying, he stops talking and starts typing away on his laptop, ignoring the rest of you.
OUT OF CHARACTER
So, anything else you want to do as a group on the rest day? Any objections to Marcus joining your mission? Did you want to take his suggestion to check up on the Seekers? Or do you want to skip the day and get the whole (reformed) party back to the cave?

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm up for checking up on the seekers or going to the cave. Considering the popularity of one of these seekers, it could be likely that someone may have been watching them and might know of any activity. Or, we could not concern ourselves with them and just go to the cave. Just my :2c:

Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda suggests some socializing in whatever passes for the local diner to see if the group can hear any rumors of the activities of the seekers, who seem to have made a splash in the town. That will probably be their cover story, but may give indicators to their true purpose.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid agrees that getting information on the activities of the Seekers in town might be the best option for today, since we will not be able to get to the cave with Brad and Eric until tomorrow
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Good. Let's have some Gather Information checks to see if you can locate the Seekers.

I'm heading out of town tomorrow morning. I might be able to validate tonight, but then there might be a delay until the 19th or 20th.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus does his best talking with the locals. Gather info, and if allowed, Diplomacy (1d20+1=6, 1d20+1=19)
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda concentrates on flirting with the cute guys, to get that all-important +2 Charm bonus.

Gather Information: 1d20+10 = 25; Diplomacy (if applicable): 1d20+10 = 23
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The people Marcus talks to can only tell him that, yes, the celebrity Eric Gold has been in town, but they can't (or won't) tell anything more.

Linda and Sahid, however, each uncover a considerable amount of information. It's easy to find out what a celebrity's been up to in a little town like Coal City. Eric and his entourage, a scrawny man and a rather attractive, exotic-looking woman, are still in town. They are staying at the same motel you are (it's the only motel in town). They have been taking day hikes in the hills around town, but spending their afternoons and evenings at the bar (the Hungry Dog) across the street from the motel. Since it's past lunchtime now, Eric will probably be there soon. He's never late for happy hour and likes to talk to the fans.

Linda, with a little charm, is able to find out some more. The group's hikes have mostly been to the north of town, not near where the Whispering Cave is located (east and a bit south). But they've been asking about other interesting hiking trails, local ghost stories, and opportunities for light spelunking. Probably only a matter of time before someone points them in the direction of the Whispering Cave. From the desk clerk at the motel, Linda is also able to wheedle out the room numbers of each member of the Seeker party.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid suggests to Linda and Marcus that the three of them should go to the local tavern and see if they can listen in to find out where the Seekers will be hikiing out to next.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus nods in agreement to Sahid saying, I think that might be a good idea.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Linda agrees, suggesting they also try to find where the Seekers might be hiking (she doesn't know what hikiing might be, and doesn't really want to, it sounds vaguely obscene.)
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

CGM3 wrote:Linda agrees, suggesting they also try to find where the Seekers might be hiking (she doesn't know what hikiing might be, and doesn't really want to, it sounds vaguely obscene.)
OUT OF CHARACTER
:lol:

Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Arriving at the Hungry Dog tavern, you find the front parking lot absolutely packed with pickup trucks and a few motorcycles. In fact, you have to park the van across the street at the motel. Seems odd for so early in the afternoon on a weekday...

Entering the tavern, it appears to be mostly one large room, with a polished wooden bar spanning most of the length of the wall opposite the front door. The left half of the room is taken up by a ring with a mechanical bull. Plastic tables and chairs fill the center of the room and there are several dartboards to the right of the area with tables. Country and western music blares from a jukebox near the dartboards. Stuffed deer heads and neon beer signs cover the walls.

The place is quite full, again a little odd for a workday afternoon. Most of the patrons appear to be typical blue-collar men in plaid flannel shirts, t-shirts with crude slogans, or overalls. A few men in black leather motorcycle jackets sit at one of the tables. Middle-aged women in halter tops and Daisy Dukes work behind the bar or carrying pitchers of beer to the tables.

Two patrons immediately catch your eye, because there seems to be a small crowd of people around each of them. A tall blonde man with a chiseled jaw stands at the bar near the mechanical bull ring, holding a mug of beer and talking loudly. He's dressed like many of the other men in a flannel shirt and blue jeans, but his clothes seem brand new and he's wearing a ridiculously wide belt with a giant gaudy gold emblem covering the entire front, like the championship belts they hand out to boxers or professional wrestlers. The men surrounding him, and one of the bartendresses, appear to be hanging on his every word.

At one of the dartboards, a slender woman is lining up her throw while a group of men watch intently. The woman sticks out like a sore thumb in here for several reasons. First, her clothes, although casual, make her look like she belongs in a New York cafe, not a West Virginia country-western bar. Second, her face is oddly thin and angular, her ears are somewhat pointed, and her features are just a little too fine. A non-sensitive would call her face "exotic," but you suspect she's probably not entirely human. As she sinks her dart in the center of the bullseye, the men groan and hand her wads of dollar bills while one of the waitresses glares.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid looks at Marcus and Linda. Looks like we can probably figure out who the seekers are, huh? Why don't we grab an empty table down near Eric there. Marcus, how good at darts are you?
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Well, I might be pretty good at losing, but that may not be good, even if I could learn anything of what they've uncovered. She just took some money for those guys and I'm not very high in funds. Perhaps I could try and see if I can learn her name at least, maybe even a little more about what these folk may know of her. I'm really more skilled in other areas, but perhaps I can apply a little bit of my research and investigative skills to use.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Would the dart board game follow a standard attack method, or a skill use method?

Image Image

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”