{Modern Setting} The Whispering Cave (Return)

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: [Active Thread] The Whispering Cave (Return)

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus steps out of the elevator. Most unexpected. We need to get this back down to him. Turn the sarcophagus so it will descend.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric complies by rotating the sarcophagus around its axis, presumably assisted by Sahid.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Before Sahid can get in position to assist Eric, the elevator drops into the floor on its own accord. It returns soon enough, bringing Brad back to the sarcophagus room.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Everybody's together again. I presume Brad and Marcus will share their observations about the area down below, so everyone should feel free to read the other thread.

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Seeing the elevator descend, Marcus recalls the button. Ah! Most excellent! Now having the elevator rise again from the floor and open to reveal Brad, Marcus explains to Eric and Sahid what they found and what he saw. He takes his camera out and flips through them on the digital display.
This is an excellent discovery. Knowing what we know about that one, I think we should try the other working elevator. This time, I'd like to go down first. It's a bit cramped. If I find a button there too, I'll step off and send it back up. If no button easily visible, I'll step off and back on to return up. How's that sound?
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Sounds fine to me, If one of you wants to go down this time I'll wait up here.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Checking his flashlight, Eric tells Marcus, I'll follow you down if you're able to send the car back up. Otherwise, we'll give you a couple of minutes, and if the elevator isn't back by then we'll try rotating the sarcophagus to retrieve it.

Belatedly remembering that he's carrying a cell phone, Eric checks it to see if he's getting a signal.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

To Eric, No!, If you don't hear the elevator returning, assume something is wrong and do what ever you can to reach me. If the elevator returns empty, it's because I sent it after finding no threats and decided to document what is there.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Ok, Eric will go down following the Dr.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Sahid, Eric, and Brad turn the sarcophagus to point at the empty chain in the eastern alcove. As expected, the elevator rises from the floor. It still contains numerous crushed bones and moldy clothes upon the floor of the cylinder. Nothing appears to have changed from last time.

Marcus gets inside the elevator and, two seconds later, the doors close and the cylinder begins to descend into the floor. Inside the elevator, Marcus immediately notices something is not right. The ceiling of the elevator is closing in on him, but the floor is not moving! He begins pounding on doors, but within moments he finds himself knocked down by the descending ceiling. The ceiling continues down, painfully crushing Marcus against the floor [9 hp damage].

From the outside, everything looks normal. But, as the elevator descends, Sahid, Eric, and Brad hear a pounding from inside the cylinder, followed by screams from Marcus! Before they can act, the elevator suddenly snaps back up to its full height. The doors open to reveal Marcus lying amongst the bones and moldy clothing, badly bruised. Marcus crawls out, cursing the infernal device and wondering why the crushed bones inside didn't tip him off that something was not as it should be with this particular elevator.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Holy Crap!! Marcus, are you ok?!?

After Brad runs to Marcus, and makes sure he is ok, he realizes something...
This alcove doesn't have a lantern in it. I wonder if the Indigo Lantern goes here?
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

After helping the others remove Marcus from the elevator and tend to his injuries, Eric regards the elevator pensively. So, is this a trap designed to catch someone who doesn't know better, or is that a security measure that must be circumvented to descend safely?
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Painful Tone: It was pure stupidity is what it was. I was too excited, and eager, to think about it. We knew the lanterns had some type of purpose and should have been more suspicious of the remains. I just learned a hard lesson, and thankfully survived. I say we pack up the lanterns and take what we've found back to the motel and recover. I think we should go see the Professor too.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric concurs with Marcus' suggestion.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Oh, taking the laterns so no one else would be able to do anything. Good idea, especially the Yellow one.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid nods agreement. I am sure the professor would be very interested in our findings, especially what you have found underneath
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Good, then let's go.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

So, you pack up the lanterns and return to the motel in Coal City. You discover that the green lantern is lit by a rock that seems to be on fire, although the flames generate no heat.

Dealing with injuries at the motel:
  • A little first aid, plus long-term care from Dr. Alexander for a full day of rest, puts Marcus back to full health.
  • Sahid's remaining injuries heal naturally, putting him back at full health.
  • Eric's hearing problem clears up after a night of rest. The doc makes some extensive notes on the issue, however.
  • Given that you keep banging yourselves up so frequently, Dr. Alexander has decided to go with you when you return to the cave. Hopefully, this will prevent multiple visits to his improvised clinic at the motel (and increase the 15 minute adventuring days to at least 30 minutes).
A visit to Professor Stanley at the hospital:
  • The Professor is in a poor mood because his copy of the Chronicle of Chan hasn't arrived via FedEx yet (see here, if you don't remember what that means).
  • It doesn't help that you have little new information to report. He doesn't find the lanterns all that interesting, since he's seen them in pictures already. He doesn't think the flaming rock is interesting at all.
  • He is slightly more interested in the news about the elevators, because it means there's more of the cave to explore. He thinks the empty sarcophagus means the main chamber is actually a fake tomb, designed to discourage tomb robbers, and that the real tomb must be somewhere else within the cave complex.
  • He encourages you to get back to exploring immediately. He thinks it would probably help to find ALL of the lanterns and get the fake tomb chamber set up as depicted in the fresco in the hall. The lanterns must have some purpose and the fresco has to be a clue, he posits.
Anything else you want to do in Coal City? Or can we return to the cave?
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

That's a nice, fast summery of it all. Let's return.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

HyOooo Silver...
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric suggests the group learn from its earlier experiences and acquire some rope (per 150 ft, 12 lb, Purchase DC 5), spare flashlights (std is 1 lb & DC 4, battery floods are 2 lb & DC 6) and batteries (?). Also potentially useful are chemical light sticks (per 5, 1 lb & DC 2), compasses (0.5 lb & DC 5), canteens for water (?), and either cell phones (unless he got 'No Service' when he tried to call) or a few basic walkie-talkies (1 lb, DC 7).

Oh, and some duct tape (1 lb, DC 4) in case we have to MacGyver. :thumb1:

Anybody think of anything else that might be useful... dungeon-crawling? :wink:

And just for the record, it's "Hi, yo, Silver, away!" (I used to watch that show when it was new!)
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Can't do MacGyver anything without paperclips and and sticks of bubblegum. Brad says with a smile...

All those are fine idea's. Also wouldnt hurt to have chalk to mark the way if needed. Plenty of water is good, might want to see if we can find a big ol' bucket of trail mix or something like that to eat if we're going to be down there a while. Also, if ther eis a place in town for this, a repelling harness, or similar climbing gear. maybe some small but strong battery lanterns to put into the Lanterns with no flaming rock?
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Those are both great suggestions. If there might be an need to MacGyver anything, I have some skill in mechanics that might be useful. But we still need ALL of the lanterns, and I believer we're missing one or two?
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Okay, here are the purchases Eric Lightner will make before we return to the Whispering Cave:

a 5-pack of chemical light sticks (should be readily available in a mining town)
a back-up standard flashlight
a compass
150 ft of rope (should also be readily available here in "the sticks")

He'll also get a canteen and spare batteries for the flashlights (cost DC? weight?)

And is cell phone reception possible in the cave, or should we spring for a couple of walkie-talkies?

BTW, we seem to have menehunes on the forum this morning; not only did the list of "latest posts" include some from mid-September, it had me log back on when I initiated this post.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

CGM3 wrote:Okay, here are the purchases Eric Lightner will make before we return to the Whispering Cave:

a 5-pack of chemical light sticks (should be readily available in a mining town)
a back-up standard flashlight
a compass
150 ft of rope (should also be readily available here in "the sticks")

He'll also get a canteen and spare batteries for the flashlights (cost DC? weight?)

And is cell phone reception possible in the cave, or should we spring for a couple of walkie-talkies?

BTW, we seem to have menehunes on the forum this morning; not only did the list of "latest posts" include some from mid-September, it had me log back on when I initiated this post.
Cell phones should not work in caves. lets try and get a couple pairs of walkies and extra batteries.
OUT OF CHARACTER
What's menehunes? I tried looking it up but it's not in a dictionary.

Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Duniagdra wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER

Hawaiian leprechauns :mrgreen:
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

CGM3 wrote:
Duniagdra wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER

Hawaiian leprechauns :mrgreen:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Interesting

Image Image
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

If we are going to Macgyver stuff, we might need to pick up a couple pine cones on the way back to the cave complex.

Sahid is ready to go back when everyone else is
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry for the delay. Eric's purchases are okay, including canteen and extra batteries (well within his wealth bonus). Cell phones function just inside the cave mouth, but there's no reception farther in. Basic walkie talkies are Wealth DC7.

Consider yourselves back in the cave. Dr. Alexander is now with you.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric will purchase a basic walkie-talkie before leaving for the cave (assuming they're available in town).

Upon reaching the cave, I suggest we show Dr. Alexander through the passage to the "sarcophagus chamber", keeping an eye out for the possible presence of others who may have stumbled upon it in the interim.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Well, feels like home. There's the fresco, but i think you've seen that. The big room is down here...

Brad follows Eric

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”