{Modern Setting} The Whispering Cave (Return)

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

{Modern Setting} The Whispering Cave (Return)

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Let me know if there were any additional supplies you wanted to pick up before going cave-exploring again. Extra flashlights? High-powered electric floodlights?

Another night of rest and treatment from Dr. Alexander and Brad and Eric are ready to resume the mission. Dr. Alexander and Linda remain at the motel as backup, promising to keep an eye on the Seeker while the rest of you resume your exploration.

Setting out early in the morning, you have no difficulty returning to the mysterious Whispering Cave and making your way back to the large room with the lanterns.
OUT OF CHARACTER
To refresh your memory, here's the room description again:

The wide stairway descends into an immense domed chamber. Seven short tunnels branch from the room in all directions. At the terminus of the north passage, opposite the entry stairs, a thick chain dangles from an unseen high ceiling. A bright green lantern dangles from the chain. The green lantern is lit by some object inside and casts a weird, murky light about the room. Countless chips of glass and shiny metal inset into the chamber’s domed ceiling reflect this light, giving the impression of starlight and falling snow.

Thanks to the green light, you won't need your flashlights in the center part of the room, although you might if you decide to explore any of the other branching passages.

The dome of the chamber starts about ten feet off the ground and reaches an apex about thirty feet over the center of the room. There, below the dome’s peak, a long dais holds what appears to be a marble sarcophagus. A milky white bas-relief of a humanoid figure is set into the sarcophagus lid. Unlike the entrance area upstairs, this room is completely silent.

Down the alcoves, counterclockwise from bottom right:

1. A violet lantern hanging from a chain, unlit.
2. An empty chain with no lantern hanging from it.
3. A blue lantern hanging from a chain, unlit. A skeleton lies in a heap beneath the blue lantern in the middle of a circle carved into the floor. Forty feet up in the northeast wall is the passage that leads to the carved face that caused you so much trouble last time. This is the only one of the seven alcoves you've explored in great detail, I think.
4. A green lantern hanging from a chain, lit and shining light throughout the room.
5. A yellow lantern hanging from a chain, unlit.
6. An orange lantern hanging from a chain, unlit.
7. An empty chain with no lantern hanging from it.

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: [Active Thread] The Whispering Cave (Return)

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus approaches the sarcophagus and has a look at it.He is very meticulous, tracing the curve and form of each etching and relief. This is incredible. He also looks at the detail of the figure carved from the stone making the lid.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Brad does suggest getting some extra flashlights, and couple big ones too. If we can get big battery powered Flood lights, that would be good. something that will last 6-8 hours on a charge?

Well boys, here we are again.

What do you think about that sarcophagus, Marcus?

Brad setups any lights they were able to get, and then goes back down the whispering hallway.

I'd really like to get another look at that face in the wall up there. But should we see what the sarcophagus holds first?
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

This is truly interesting. The workmanship and detail is incredible. I think yes to both Brad. We really should have a look at what lies in here I believe, But I am also curious to know what that face is guarding. It could be a mechanism to opening another passage perhaps, it keeping hidden something valuable. When we do go up there, I propose keeping our eyes to the ground to avoid the spell effects. Were you able to get them LED Mag Flashlights you were looking for?
Image Image
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

I agree Brad. The doctor suggested trying to light the lanterns as well. Lets check the face first and then perhaps we can get the lanterns lit and see what happens.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

We're still missing one Lantern. But we can deal with that later on. Lets get this lid off. Marcus, let us know when your ready.

Brad will hang out by the sarcophagus until Marcus indicates its ok to try the lid.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I thought there were two lanterns missing. No matter right now. We should take them all with us so we have them for a later time.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Well, yes. but we found the Indigo one upstairs
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Taking up station at the foot of the stairs, and watching for any unexpected visitors, Eric suggests, Perhaps we should give the other alcoves a closer scrutiny before committing ourselves. Might find something interesting. And let's not forget that broken circle-gate-whatever thing in the outer room.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

tdsprouse wrote:Well, yes. but we found the Indigo one upstairs
Ah yes. That's right.

Looking at the sarcophagus, Marcus says, It seems that two of us on the same side could tilt the lid up enough to see in, maybe even reach in to get at what may be inside. It would take four of us, one to each corner to open it completely, lifting it and moving to the side enough to expose whatever lies inside.

This is interesting though. Marcus is now kneeling at the base, indicating that arrow-shaped formation. There is a mechanism here. It seems as though it swivels, counter-clockwise, allowing someone to direct it perhaps to one of the alcoves in this room.
CGM3 wrote:Taking up station at the foot of the stairs, and watching for any unexpected visitors, Eric suggests, Perhaps we should give the other alcoves a closer scrutiny before committing ourselves. Might find something interesting. And let's not forget that broken circle-gate-whatever thing in the outer room.
Damn!, Forgot to stop and look at that on our way in. How careless of me to not think of that. That may be a good suggestion. Shall we peek into the sarcophagus, or make a better search of the alcoves again? I'm for looking into this sarcophagus here. Marcus not once took his eyes from the sarcophagus the whole time he was talking.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

I'd say check the alcoves, first, Eric opines. If the sarcophagus is rigged to be moved into them, we might find some significance to each one. I don't know about you, but I'd feel right foolish if shifting it into, say, the red alcove collapsed the cave on top of us.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Very well. But I didn't say that it could be moved into the alcove, only that it can be turned to point at them. It may be a trigger for something. Maybe if they are all lit, turning it to an alcove may trigger opening some type of portal.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

I'll do what i can to help you Marcus. Brad will Assist Marcus in searching.

Search Assist (1d20 2=5, 1d20 2=14, 1d20 2=14, 1d20 2=22, 1d20 2=7, 1d20 2=9, 1d20 2=11)
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

The more the merrier, Eric agrees, coming over to assist the others in checking the alcoves.

Eric's Search Checks to Assist Marcus: 1d20+2=3 ("Hey, I can't find the floor!" :mrgreen: ), 1d20+2=22, 1d20+2=21, 1d20+2=10, 1d20+2=10, 1d20+2=13, 1d20+2=6
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Brad was able to acquire two battery-powered floodlights (hand-held, they give a beam of light 100 feet long and 50 wide at the end) and as many standard flashlights as desired (let me know how many you think you need)

Brad, Eric, and Marcus, working together, are able to find circles carved in the floor of all of the alcoves. Each circle is directly beneath a lantern or empty lantern chain. They find nothing else.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Well, that was fun. Shall we try turning this thing to point at the alcove with the tunnel? it just may disable that trap up there. Or, we can just climb up there and have a look at it again? I'm not too good at climbing though.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Well, it might not hurt to try to turn it.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

I suggest we turn the sarcophagus to point towards the tunnel alcove, but then check the other alcoves before shinnying up the chain into the tunnel, Eric chimes in. This maybe one of those multi-stage riddles, like the one about getting a fox, a rabbit, and a cabbage across a stream in a rowboat that'll only carry two of 'em at a time.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Brad gets ready to turn the sarcophagus.

Ok Marcus, enable that mechanism when your ready, and well see if we can turn this thing.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

To Eric, Marcus says, Oh, that's easy. Let the rabbit east the cabbage and then the fox eat the rabbit. The you take the fox across, which takes the rabbit across, which brings the cabbage across.

Marcus begins pushing on the sarcophagus from the opposite end so that Marcus and Brad end up pushing in the same direction until it points to the tunnel alcove.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I previously mis-spoke about the sarcophagus mechanism, it turns clockwise, not counter-clockwise. I assume that makes no difference to your plans.

Marcus and Brad easily turn the sarcophagus. There is an audible click when it is pointing directly toward the alcove with the yellow lantern. The feedback from the mechanism beneath is such that Brad and Marcus can tell that the sarcophagus can still be rotated further, but that this is a position (possibly one of several) where it is designed to stop (does this make sense? Think of a dial on the dashboard of a car that has several settings, if it helps).

Before the two can decide whether to continue rotating the sarcophagus to its next setting, there is a great rumbling from below the chamber! The circular area of stone at the end of the yellow lantern alcove rises eight feet into the air, pushed up by a 5-foot-diameter metal cylinder that seems to arise from the ground itself. Seconds after it comes to a rest, two thin doors slide into the sides of the cylinder, revealing a small empty chamber. It's like some kind of cylindrical elevator!
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Hey, look at that! Marcus goes over to the "elevator" and takes out his camera and takes some pictures. 1 ten feet from it, three more a few feet from it, and several more of the interior.

Are there buttons, levers, some form of control or writing?

I recommend we not not step inside, as it is likely that doing so may activate it and close with you inside. There is no telling yet where it may take us. Let's turn the "dial" to the next.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

There are no buttons, levers, or writing inside the elevator. It's just a plain metal cylinder.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

uh... That's certainly unexpected. Sahid, mind taking a picture or two of that?

Brad runs his fingers through his hair, scratches the back of his neck, and says Yeah, i think i would rather vet this place first before venturing into a Cylindrical. Metal. Elevator. in an ancient cave.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

After taking his pictures, Marcus is anxious to see what turning the "dial to the next alcove reveals. Brad, come on. Help me turn. Marcus begins turning, not waiting for Sahid. He's too excited to wait.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Wait a minute, let me check something before you move the sarcophagus further, Eric says, and trots up the "NorthEast" (blue lantern) corridor to see if the tunnel opening is still visible.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

CGM3 wrote:Wait a minute, let me check something before you move the sarcophagus further, Eric says, and trots up the "NorthEast" (blue lantern) corridor to see if the tunnel opening is still visible.
Marcus huffs, but gives Eric time to check.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The tunnel opening is still there.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Ok, lets turn it

Brad Helps Marcus turn the Sarcophagus another click
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric will remain at the end of the "Northeast" corridor (but not on the circle in the floor) to see if anything happens there as the sarcophagus is moved through its 'settings'.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”