{Modern Setting} Beneath the Yellow Lantern

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

{Modern Setting} Beneath the Yellow Lantern

Post by patransom »

The elevator descends for what seems like an uncomfortably long time, but maybe it just seems that way crowded into the confined space...

Finally, it stops and the doors slide open to reveal a small chamber. The walls here are covered in bas-relief images similar to the slender figure upon the sarcophagus lid in the chamber above. Nearly a dozen androgynous, hairless humanoids stand in poses of deference, almost as if they are paying homage to the viewer. Many extend their hands in adoration, their faces awash in adulation. Several of the statues lack hands, arms, heads, or anything else easily hacked off by long absent tomb robbers.

About fifteen feet to the west, a dark passage extends from an elaborately carved arch. Only a little of this hallway is visible, however, as a large stone block obscures most of the passage. The block is roughly 10 feet wide by 5 feet deep by 8 feet tall. A large niche about the same size as the block opens in the ceiling 10 feet above. If one were to climb to the top of the block, it would be possible to shine a light into the passage beyond. Squeezing between the top of the block and the peak of the archway would be difficult, however, requiring significant contortions (a DC25 escape artist check).

A fine layer of dust covers everything in the room. The only other noticeable feature is a brick of stone that protrudes obviously from the wall to the left of the elevator. It's obvious to anyone who's ever played a video game that this is a button of some kind.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: [Marcus and Brad] Beneath the Yellow Lantern

Post by Duniagdra »

Do we press the red button? Marcus chimes in quoting the ever famous phrase from countless movies. He takes out his camera and documents everything.
You think you can get up there and have a look at what lies beyond? I think that's the most we'll do for now. If there is anything beyond that slab, we'll be on our way out before if can get us. Hopefully. The sound of curiosity as much as wariness can easily be heard in his voice.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Seeing no obvious dangers, brad holsters his glock. Not really much to see here. i dont think i can squeeze over that block, can you?

Looking at the button, This probably activates the elevator, sending it back up. That was nice of them to put in. We only have about a minute before they pull it back up anyway.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

If you boost me, I'll try to get a look at what's beyond. Marcus will survey the room.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Search:+6, Knowledge, Arcane Lore: +9

Any symbols found that may not have been apparent before?
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Ok, lets give it a try

Brad gives Markus a boost up to the top of the Slab.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Marcus' search + k: arcana don't reveal anything new.

Climbing atop the stone slab, Marcus notes that it is somewhat wobbly. Although certainly very heavy, too heavy to lift, it might be possible for several people working together to topple it forward into the hall beyond, thus clearing a way to continue farther (a DC25 strength check, which would be do-able if someone strong got a couple of "aid anothers").

Shining the battery powered floodlight through the space between the top of the block and the arch, Marcus is able to make out a long, darkened hallway with alcoves at regular intervals. Each alcove contains a seven-foot tall statue of an androgynous humanoid figure with cupped hands. There are carvings on the walls of the corridor, but they are too difficult to make out from this distance. The corridor appears to branch to the north and south at the end.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

What do you think Markus?
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

This is interesting. It's a long passage leading to what seems to be a T intersection. I'm seeing a number of statues along the way. This could be a complete complex under here. I say we not wait for them, and take our selves up. Let's get in and press that button. See if it really does send the elevator up. Marcus enters the elevator waiting for Brad. Before getting down, with the light shining down the passage, Marcus will take one picture.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Marcus enters the elevator as Brad approaches the button. Before Brad can push the button, however, the elevator doors close and the elevator ascends. Although nervous to be left down here all alone, Brad notices that the elevator seems to be moved not by any ordinary mechanism, but by a whooshing column of air!
OUT OF CHARACTER
Seems the elevator's got a mind of it's own, eh? Brad's down here by himself for a bit...

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Re: [Brad] Beneath the Yellow Lantern

Post by tdsprouse »

THINKING: well crap.

Brad glances Down the elevator hole, wondering what is generating the blast of air.

after a few seconds he begins to get a little uneasy. THINKING: why did the elevator wait for both of us on teh way down. did we enter at teh same time? I cant remember, i suppose so. What's taking them so long?

Brad takes a nother moment to look around the room, make sure he didnt miss anything.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
You did enter pretty close to the same time on the way down. This time, Brad was waiting to push the button while Marcus got inside. Thus...

There is no hole where the elevator was. The blast of air seems to just appear out of nowhere!

A second look around the room reveals nothing missed on first inspection.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
that's what i figured, brad is just thinking to himself... waiting at an elevator. :)

Brad looks up the tube, THINKING: I Wonder how far up it goes?

He pushes the button, and begins to hum some Musac...
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

As expected, pushing the button brings the elevator back down. I assume Brad gets in to be whisked back up to the top and his friends, so we'll put him back in the other thread.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] Beneath the Yellow Lantern

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm not sure you really made a decision about what to do next, but in the interest of moving things along...

With some experimentation, you determine that the non-Marcus-smashing elevator operates just fine with or without the yellow lantern hanging in its alcove. Therefore, you keep the yellow lantern (and all the other lanterns) in your possession and shuttle everyone down to the small chamber that Marcus and Brad explored briefly before.

The elevator brings all of you (one at a time) to a small chamber. The walls here are covered in bas-relief images similar to the slender figure upon the sarcophagus lid in the chamber above. Nearly a dozen androgynous, hairless humanoids stand in poses of deference, almost as if they are paying homage to the viewer. Many extend their hands in adoration, their faces awash in adulation. Several of the statues lack hands, arms, heads, or anything else easily hacked off by long absent tomb robbers.

About fifteen feet to the west, a dark passage extends from an elaborately carved arch. Only a little of this hallway is visible, however, as a large stone block obscures most of the passage. The block is roughly 10 feet wide by 5 feet deep by 8 feet tall. A large niche about the same size as the block opens in the ceiling 10 feet above. If one were to climb to the top of the block, it would be possible to shine a light into the passage beyond. Squeezing between the top of the block and the peak of the archway would be difficult, however, requiring significant contortions (a DC25 escape artist check).

A fine layer of dust covers everything in the room. The only other noticeable feature is a brick of stone that protrudes obviously from the wall to the left of the elevator. It's obvious to anyone who's ever played a video game that this is a button of some kind.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Marcus and Brad had previously noticed some things about the block of stone and the hallway beyond. I recommend reading the earlier parts of this thread.

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Pat, I just looked for that thread, but couldnt find it. do you have a link? i only saw teh Whispering Cave (Return) thread, but not the one where markus and brad were separated.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
It's in this thread. Just go back some pages. Or click here to start at the beginning.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

tdsprouse wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Pat, I just looked for that thread, but couldnt find it. do you have a link? i only saw teh Whispering Cave (Return) thread, but not the one where markus and brad were separated.

OUT OF CHARACTER
If what you are asking is what I think, then this is that thread

Marcus points to the slab, I think we can knock it over, but maybe pushing the button may have an effect other than just sending the elevator up? Being as the last time, the elevator just went up on it's own, let's press the button and see what happens. Marcus will press the button.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

The button jsut activates teh elveator. it brought it back down to me last time.

I think we can topple this slab, unless anyone has any objections. Who's the tallest and strongest?

Brad gives the slab a stout push, seeing if it will wobble at all.

Markus, when you were up there earlier, could you tell what was at the base of the slab on the other side? Would we be in danger of crushing anything on other side?

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry pat, i missed that the same thread changed names. :)

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

To Brad, I can climb back up and have a look, but I don't recall seeing anything within the slab's hazard zone.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Not being a human pretzel or quadruple-jointed, I vote we try to shove this slab out of the way, Eric agrees. But before we push the button, we might want to have somebody in the elevator just in case it turns out we need somebody up there to work the elevator. Anybody else buy a walkie-talkie before we left town?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry for the lack of participation lately; Worst. Vacation. Ever. And it's still not over.

Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
In the process of shuttling everyone down to this chamber, you've pretty much figured out how the elevator and the button work. When a person enters the elevator, it moves on its own, as if (or exactly) by magic. When no one's in the elevator, the button makes the elevator move up and down.

Brad finds that pushing the slab makes it wobble just a little. Toppling it will take more than one of you working together. As many as four of you could push on it at the same time.

Marcus recalls that, as far as he could tell, there wasn't anything in the hallway beyond that would get squashed by the slab.
OUT OF CHARACTER
If you want to try tipping the slab into the hallway beyond, I'll need strength checks from everyone who wants to help.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

With all his might, Marcus tries to push, but it's not going to happen. a straining voice: Are you sure this thing can be toppled?
Strength Check to push slab (1d20+1=4)
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

With an heroic (what else? :lol: ) effort, Eric lends his strength to the task of shifting the obstacle.

Eric's Strength check: 1d20+2 = 12
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Tired of waiting for Brad and Sahid to make a move, Dr. Alexander comes forward and puts his shoulder into the slab.

1d20=8

Marcus, Eric, and Dr. Alexander can feel the stone beginning to tilt, but they are at the limit of their strength. Just a little more help will be needed to push the slab past the tipping point...
OUT OF CHARACTER
It's a DC25 on the combined STR check to topple the slab and the three of them are at 24. Just one little push from someone else will topple it over...

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I thought I replied already, sorry. Can't seem to find my tos file for Sahid either. Can you pm it to me?

Sahid moves up next to the others and throws his shoulder against the rock. Sorry guys, zoned out for a moment there.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I've subscribed to teh thread, not sure how/why i missed the updates last week.

Brad comes out of his zone, Sorry, was trying to figure out how much force it will take to topple.

Str +2 (Invisible Castle is down)
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

After some grunting and heaving from Marcus, Eric, and the Doc, Sahid moves up to lean his shoulder into the slab. Before Sahid can even bring his full weight to bear, the slab begins to fall into the corridor beyond. The little push from Sahid, it seems, was enough to tilt it past the point of no return. With a loud crash, the slab falls to the floor of the corridor beyond. It now represents only a minor obstacle to proceeding further. [You can cross the slab freely, but climbing onto or off of it counts as two squares for movement purposes, basically like stepping up or down from a platform.]

The battery floodlights now illuminate the long corridor beyond, which seems to reach a "T" intersection about 50 feet beyond the slab. Curious carvings that seem to represent a stirring tempest cover the walls of this ten foot-wide passage. At ten-foot intervals, small alcoves flank the passage, and each alcove contains an androgynous humanoid figure with cupped hands. The figures stand roughly seven feet tall. A faint wind seems to play within the passage, but it’s difficult to tell where it’s coming from.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Nicely done, were a bunch of hulks aren't we. Brad chuckles,

So, onward? if no one is good at finding traps, i'll take the lead.

Either way, Brad readies his Glock, checking the chamber and clip...
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

After you, then, Eric responds. At least as far as the first pair of statues. We should look them over before proceeding further.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Brad moves forward, pausing just past the statues and keeps an eye on the end of the hallway while the others investigate the statues.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”