{Modern Setting} Beneath the Green Lantern

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] Beneath the Green Lantern

Post by patransom »

ROUND 4 CONTINUES

Tex, too nauseated to accomplish anything else, retrieves the gas can from his gear. The biting, acidic swarm continues its attempt to devour him [8 hp damage, needs a DC11 Fort save to stop being nauseated].

Hoping the debilitating influence in the western chamber might slow or even deter the swarm, Eric retreats, remarking, Guys, we have got to get some industrial strength bug repellant!

Marcus withdraws all the way to the shelf next to the big statue (a double move). He considers starting to make more molotovs, but realizes that it will take too long and that Tex has the gas, anyway.

Dr. Alexander, in a rather unusual display of bravery, steps up behind Tex and snatches the gas can from his hand. He proceeds to douse the swarm with about half of the remaining gas. To Tex, he yells, Now get out of there so someone can set the creatures on fire!

Sahid takes another shot at the big bug. Again, he misses.

Momma bug, with a tasty morsel now in reach, scuttles up to Sahid and regurgitates a cone of sickly yellow acid in his direction. Sahid takes the acid vomit full in the face [2 hp damage]

ROUND 5

The swarm reshapes itself to cover not only Tex, but the doctor also. With the beetles' attention divided between two meals, the damage to Dr. A doesn't seem too back [5 hp damage, needs a DC11 Fort save to stop being nauseated]
OUT OF CHARACTER
Initiative Order:

ROUND 5 CONTINUES
Brad "Tex" Laskin - 14 hp damage, needs a DC11 Fort save to avoid being nauseated
Eric Lightner - 10 hp damage, fatigued (-2 to STR and DEX)
Marcus Tilsworth - 3 hp damage, fatigued (-2 to STR and DEX)
Tividius Alexander - 5 hp damage, needs a DC11 Fort save to avoid being nauseated
Sahid Khan - 13 hp damage
Momma Beetle
ROUND 6
Swarm

--> Next validation

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Miraculously finding a lighter in his pocket, Marcus abandons his attempt at making more Molotovs moves to 1607, delaying for Brad and Doc to get away from the swarm. Once they are clear, he will toss his lit lighter into the fuel laden swarm, hoping that his friends have not soaked up enough fuel to ignite as well. This is unless Eric does the same before Marcus. In that case, Marcus acts only if Eric misses.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric lurches to 1608, fishing his own lighter out of a pocket. Get outta there and let's see if I can light those suckers up, he calls to Tex and the doctor, flicking the igniter wheel. As soon as they move clear, he'll toss it into the swarm and hope it cayches fire.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex, trying to swallow his own bile, moves aways from teh swarm, and fires at the big bug.

Will Save, Swarm (1d20+1=11)
One shot at Momma bug (1d20+4=22, 2d6=10)
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
waiting on Sahid

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid takes a step back to 1211 and takes another shot at momma bug
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Okay, it turns out I didn't need to wait for Sahid. Should have looked more closely at everyone else's post first :)

ROUND 5 CONTINUES

Tex, managing to shake off the nausea, only throws up a little in his mouth as he moves out of the crawling swarm of beetles. He levels his Glock at their momma and blows her head off.

Eric lurches toward the beetles, fishing his own lighter out of a pocket. Get outta there and let's see if I can light those suckers up, he calls to the doctor, flicking the igniter wheel and waiting for the doc to clear out.

Marcus does likewise.

Dr. Alexander, used to dealing with disgusting things in the operating room, is not nauseated by the beetles, but he still flees from them, moving behind one of the stone slabs.

Seeing the area is clear, Eric flings his lighter into the gas-soaked swarm. FWOOSH!! The bugs are finally burnt to a crisp. Eric is out one lighter, but at least no one's been devoured by tiny bugs.

The combat has left scorch marks all over the corridor. Black smoke hangs in the air for a while, but quickly begins to exhaust up the hole where the elevator used to be. All that remains is the smell of unburnt gas from Tex and the Doc's clothes.

Dr. Alexander pulls out his first aid kit. Alright, who needs medical attention after all that? he asks.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Combat over. Current damage:

Brad "Tex" Laskin - 14 hp damage
Eric Lightner - 10 hp damage, fatigued (-2 to STR and DEX)
Marcus Tilsworth - 3 hp damage, fatigued (-2 to STR and DEX)
Tividius Alexander - 5 hp damage, fatigued (-2 to STR and DEX)
Sahid Khan - 13 hp damage

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Hey, where's the scorch marks from the burnings? ;)

I can wait for the other to be taken care of. I'm not that bad.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric sits down on the floor, numbly contemplating the expanse of toasted beetles. Who doesn't? he answers the doctor's question rhetorically. Guys, I think we might wanna carry a couple o' Molotovs each from now on, or else hire an exterminator t' come with us. And I've gotta get a new lighter, he realizes plaintively.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Let's see how much gas we have left and I'll make more.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Still trying to contain his lunch, Tex simply gave a gentle thumbs up.

THINKING: A change of clothes would have been a good idea.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Having all the material he needs, Marcus sets to making Molotov Cocktails from the remaining fuel. Craft: Chemical (1d20+9=16)
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Taking out his medical bag, the doctor moves out of the fatiguing west room, then calls each of you over to him in turn and does his best to treat your minor injuries. He also patches himself up a bit. [Tex healed 4 hp, Eric healed 4 hp, Marcus healed 3 hp, Sahid healed 3 hp, Dr. A healed 1 hp]

In the meantime, Marcus is able to make four more Molotov cocktails before the gas can is empty. [Distribute as you see fit, remembering that Eric is lighter-less.]

The smoke has cleared and the tomb is quiet again. To refresh your memory:

East room: The north and south walls of this large chamber taper in somewhat, and in the nook of the far eastern wall rests a wide stone basin backed by a five-foot-tall shelf. A hardened orange paste spills out over the two-foot basin lip and covers much of the shelf. A huge organic mass completely fills the room’s southwest corner. It appears to be an enormous nest. A man-sized oblong lump is completely covered underneath the orange sludge of the nest.

West room: Eight man-sized stone slabs, about four feet off the ground, are arranged in two rows in this large room. You have already removed and looted the corpse that used to lie sprawled out upon one of these slabs. The north and
south walls taper in somewhat, and the short west wall abuts a small stone stage. The red clay statue of a powerfully built warrior wielding a cylinder-headed greatclub stands tall upon the stage, its eyes surveying the room.

To the south: The long corridor ends with a set of descending stairs. Five feet down the stairs, your floodlights reflect off the surface of water. It appears the complex is flooded beyond that point.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Damage totals:
Brad "Tex" Laskin - 10 hp
Eric Lightner - 6 hp
Tividius Alexander - 4 hp
Sahid Khan - 10 hp
Marcus Tilsworth - uninjured

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Shall we see what lies under that mound of sludge? I'd like to have a look at that statue too.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

We should also try to excavate that basin, try to get an idea of what it was originally used for, Eric suggests. I doubt it was intended to hold that orange gunk. But I think that lump should be our first priority. Like I said, I suspect it may be a companion of the poor mook you found in the west room.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

CGM3 wrote:We should also try to excavate that basin, try to get an idea of what it was originally used for, Eric suggests. I doubt it was intended to hold that orange gunk. But I think that lump should be our first priority. Like I said, I suspect it may be a companion of the poor mook you found in the west room.
Agreed.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

yeah, i'd like to see what's encased in that orange glob
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Sahid remains on watch in the hallway intersection while the rest of you investigate the beetle nest. The nest proves easy to dismantle and the oblong shape underneath is, unsurprisingly, a dessicated, mummified, beetle-gnawed corpse. There is little left of the victim, but a silver ring on the remains of a finger bears the familiar eight-pointed star, leading to the conclusion that this is another of the three men (Uhle, Claus, and Anders) who investigated this section.

This man was apparently carrying a large backpack of gear, but most of the container and its contents have been rendered unusable by beetle acid. The only exceptions are numerous glass bottles containing some sort of milky liquid. Enough bits of label remain on different bottles for you piece together the words "Dr. Peter's Amazing Healthful Elixir." The dead man was apparently a big fan of this beverage and brought an entire case of the stuff on the expedition. Only one of the bottles has broken, leaving 23 intact.

A brief examination of the large basin reveals several nozzles in the back shelf that are clogged with the dried orange goo. This stuff is the same as you saw in the section under the yellow lantern. You had previously concluded that the goo was some kind of nutrient paste. Doctor Alexander guesses that the basin must have been some sort of feeding trough for the ancient residents of this section.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Anyone care to try out an elixir to see if it heals? If so, we should take it along. We might also be able to get a good price for the coin. Marcus decides to further investigate the nozzles and see if clearing them will allow the paste to flow again.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

I could certainly use a pick me up. How long do you suppose its been down here?

Tex reaches out for one of the bottles, opens it up and gives it a sniff. He puts a little on his finger and tastes it, and if its not horrible, he shrugs his shoulders and drinks it down.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric waits to see if Tex suffers any ill effects from the "elixir" (which be nothing but vintage snake oil.)

On the other hand... :gift:
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Tex cautiously tests the vintage elixir. Finding that it tastes vaguely like flat cherry soda, he drinks the whole thing down. You all watch in horror as he transforms into a vicious, hideous, slavering....

...more healthy version of himself. [Tex is healed 9 hp]
OUT OF CHARACTER
In spite of the "vicious, hideous, slavering" part above, there are no ill effects. Just having a little fun. It appears Dr. Peter's Elixir really is amazing and healthful.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

With pleased amazement, a soft tone: Awesome. I think I have room in my pack unless the Doc wishes to carry it. It will add no weight to me. Anyone in need of serious healing, take one and drink. Those with need for a little bit of healing, maybe we save them and use the healing kits? Marcus looks to Eric and Sahid to drink one each. Maybe the Doc can Treat the injuries that remain?
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Doctor Alexander points out that he's already done as much field first aid on each of you as he can today. He adds, Maybe divide them up, with whoever thinks they're most likely to be eaten by insects next taking more?

He takes one of the bottles and examines it carefully, Rather unusual that something like this actually works...
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid takes one of the elixers and drinks it down. Not very tasty. Weren't one of these guys supposed to have a missing lantern?
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Kinda fitting, it almost reminds me of the cough syrup from when i was a kid.

Have we vetted this other room yet? Tex asks, as he walks towards it. Yeah, i thought we'd see a lantern down here.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric will chug a bottle of elixir, then remark, Divvyin' them up is probably the best idea, we'll each have some if we need to heal ourselves or someone who's down. As for the lantern, it could be buried under this gunk -- maybe we should excavate beneath the body -- or in the flooded area to the north or maybe hidden in the west room. Has anybody looked over that statue yet?
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The rest of you enjoy some Dr. Peter's Amazing Healthful Elixir. No one transforms into a hideous beast, but the Elixir does seems somewhat variable in its healing effects. [Eric healed 3 hp, Dr. A healed 4 hp, Sahid healed 3 hp]

Further excavation in the gooey bug nest and basin turns up nothing. Examination of the statue reveals it is similar to the others you've seen down here, except for the big horkin' club. There are no runes or distinguishing features on it. An extensive search of both rooms finds no other options for proceeding. If the final member of the old expedition is down here with the red lantern, he must have met his end in the flooded section to the north.

There are 19 bottles of Elixir left. That means one person can take 3 and the rest take 4.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Damage totals:
Brad "Tex" Laskin - 1 hp
Eric Lightner - 3 hp
Tividius Alexander - uninjured
Sahid Khan - 7 hp
Marcus Tilsworth -uninjured

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Well, anyone was up for a swim? its probably pretty cold, Ya think these flash lights are waterproof?

Tex gets a small stone or something and from a good distance, tosses it into the water. I want to make sure nothing is gonna bite me in half if i stick my head down there.

OUT OF CHARACTER
From http://www.maglite.com/faq_details.asp?faqProd=D

Are Mag flashlights waterproof?
We consider our flashlights to be extremely water resistant but we don't advertise them to be waterproof.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

tdsprouse wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
From http://www.maglite.com/faq_details.asp?faqProd=D

Are Mag flashlights waterproof?
We consider our flashlights to be extremely water resistant but we don't advertise them to be waterproof.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Cheep bastards! :)

Marcus will take three as he doesn't plan to be in direct contact with anything dangerous purposely. he waits to see how deep the water is. He removes his three section staff and locks it together. He hopes to use it as a depth gauge if they enter.
Image Image

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”