{Modern Setting} Beneath the Green Lantern

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Re: [Active Thread] Beneath the Green Lantern

Post by CGM3 »

Eric suggests one of the chemical light sticks he has be activated, tied or otherwise fastened (he has duct tape) to some rope or twine, weighted with some stones, and used to plumb the submerged area to get an idea of how deep it seems to be. If it's a descent into the murky depths, the group will probably have to get scuba gear before proceeding further.

BTW, are those of use who were fatigued still in that condition?
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
The fatigue ends immediately upon exiting the room with the slabs. Sorry, forgot to make that clear.

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

With Erics suggestion Marcus seems relieved. Yes, I like that idea very much.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Yeah, I knew there was a reason we brought you along! Tex says with a grin.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Eric's idea meets with enthusiastic approval, so the team moves over to the flooded stairs. They pass two alcoves on either side that have numerous pegs extending from the walls. Nothing hangs from the pegs.

Affixing the light stick to some string and weighting it with debris, Eric tosses it into the water, where it tumbles down 5 more feet of submerged stairway into what appears to be a small east-west corridor just below. The corridor is completely submerged.

As Eric fishes around to get the layout of what's at the end of the stairs, an amorphous, translucent shape flows through the water from the west. This shape comes to completely envelop the light stick and then begins spinning wildly in a tight vortex. Stuck in the vortex, the chemical light stick whips back and forth crazily. It's all Eric can do to avoid having the line jerked from his hand. Seems whatever Eric's caught with his rudimentary fishing gear intends to make a fight of it before giving up the bait.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I have Marcus with 3 Elixirs, everyone else with 4. Who's carrying the 4 remaining molotov's? (Not that they'll be much use under water)

Here's a little info if you decide to descend underwater: holding your breath. The flashlights you have should work underwater, at least for a while. Depending on what you decide to do, I may need to do a little more searching to find any d20 Modern rules on underwater combat. From Mythbusters, I know that shooting bullets into the water from above the surface isn't going to be particularly effective.

Damage totals:
Brad "Tex" Laskin - 1 hp
Eric Lightner - 3 hp
Tividius Alexander - uninjured
Sahid Khan - 7 hp
Marcus Tilsworth -uninjured

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I say we leave here. We're not equipped for underwater exploration and we have no idea of how to fight that thing. We should return to the Professor and see what he knows of this. I'm not going in.

Marcus does not seem afraid and maybe he's not. But he does try having a look at anything he can find in the alcoves. Maybe the pegs are a puzzle? Do then seem to move or press in? What skill check would I need other than search? Skill Rolls for Investigate/Search/Knowledge (arcane lore)/Knowledge (physical sciences)/Knowledge (theology & philosophy). Any of these any good? (1d20+6=24, 1d20+6=11, 1d20+9=16, 1d20+5=9, 1d20+5=22, 1d20+5=18) I gave one extra +5 roll than I should have.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The pegs appear to just be hooks for hanging tools and what not, similar to those where you found the goggles, hammer, and wand in the other section. Whatever was hanging on these pegs is long gone, however.

Marcus' arcane lore check is good enough to reveal that the thing in the water is a water elemental: a creature of animated water created by the power of Shadow. This appears to be a very small one. Marcus knows that the creature is capable of coming out of the water, but that it probably prefers to stay submerged since it is more effective at attacking that way.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

patransom wrote:The pegs appear to just be hooks for hanging tools and what not, similar to those where you found the goggles, hammer, and wand in the other section. Whatever was hanging on these pegs is long gone, however.

Marcus' arcane lore check is good enough to reveal that the thing in the water is a water elemental: a creature of animated water created by the power of Shadow. This appears to be a very small one. Marcus knows that the creature is capable of coming out of the water, but that it probably prefers to stay submerged since it is more effective at attacking that way.
That vortex is a water elemental. It's small, but without a breathing apparatus, we'd have little chance. Maybe if we had a hose to breath through? But that thing will still be trouble, assuming it's the only one and the biggest if there's more.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Not particularly anxious to do battle with a perambulating puddle of water, Eric releases the string. Unless somebody's got some water elemental repellant, it looks like we'll have to go get some diving gear. Or maybe we could push and pull at those pegs to see if a secret door opens, he suggests wryly.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

At Eric's suggestion, Dr. Alexander attempts pushing and pulling at the pegs in the alcoves. He reports that he thinks they are just pegs; there's no secret mechanism there.

It seems that, suddenly, the water elemental becomes bored spinning the light stick around in its vortex. Eric feels a firm yank on the string, as the elemental tries to drag the light stick away to the west.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Eric needs a strength check to hold onto the string, unless he just wants to let go and allow the elemental to take off with the "bait."

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Eric released the string in his post just above yours.

Well, What are we to do? Can we afford scuba gear, or shall we try something with a hose and bag and pump. maybe something to fasten to the breather and and anchor? I'm skilled in mechanics, I might be able to piece something together if we can get the parts.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Or maybe we can distract our liquescent friend, Eric speculates, watching to see what the elemental does with the light stick now that he's released the string.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

I dont think we can afford scuba gear. And either way, that elemental thing will have to be dealt with some how. Can we draw it out of the water?
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry, missed the bit about how Eric had already let go of the string...

The elemental scoots off to the west, taking the light stick with it and disappearing around the corner. With no light underwater, your flashlights now reflect off the surface, making it difficult to see beneath.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I haven't figured out a purchase DC for scuba gear, but Tex is probably right that it would be expensive. More importantly, finding a dive shop in the mountains of West Virginia would be difficult...

Building some kind of makeshift air supply contraption might be a possibility. You could get an air pump and tubing from a river rafting company; there are lots of those nearby. However, before you go to the time and trouble of exiting for supplies, you should consider the following:

[list][*]You can hold your breath for up to your CON score in rounds before being in any danger of drowning.
[*]Anything you build will likely be fragile and possibly cumbersome.
[*]If this section is similar to the size of the section beneath the yellow lantern, you might guess that the flooded area isn't huge.[/list]

I'm not going to stop you from coming up with a creative idea, but perhaps the simplest approach might serve you here?

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Well, if you think trying a dive is worth it while that thing is distracted, let's give it a go. We'll need to be extra careful though. That thing might be able to sweep us away from any surface we could reach and drown us. It's not a pretty way to die.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Could I do a Knowledge (arcane lore) to see if I've learned anything about combating elementals?
Knowledge (arcane lore) for combating elementals (1d20+9=26)

Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

We could try tying rope around the waist of whoever wants to venture into the water, at least for an initial foray, with the rest of us holding the other end, Eric suggests. Unless that critter's a lot stronger than a person, we should be able to haul our scout back to dry land if the elemental tries sweeping him away.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Eric has 150 ft of rope available.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Well, I know I can only hold my breath for just under a minute and a half. If there's someone who can do better, then he should be the one.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Duniagdra wrote:Well, if you think trying a dive is worth it while that thing is distracted, let's give it a go. We'll need to be extra careful though. That thing might be able to sweep us away from any surface we could reach and drown us. It's not a pretty way to die.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Could I do a Knowledge (arcane lore) to see if I've learned anything about combating elementals?
Knowledge (arcane lore) for combating elementals (1d20+9=26)

OUT OF CHARACTER
I did your arcane lore check for the elemental already: what you know is in this post.

Having felt the thing's strength on the line, Eric doesn't think it is strong enough to hold a full grown man underwater. Unless it was holding back, of course...

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

I wonder if whatever it is can speak to us. It may not be dangerous if we can speak to it.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I did an arcane lore check for Sahid (the previous one was for Marcus) on elementals. In addition to what Marcus knows, Sahid is aware that, as a creature created by Shadow, an elemental is unlikely to speak english (or any other human language).

Dr. Alexander comments that, if there's enough rope, it might be best to send two people into the water. He knows the buddy system is helpful in deep sea diving.

Also, having reviewed your medical files, including various stress tests and physical results, it's his guess that the two of you able to hold your breath the longest would be Eric and Marcus. He excludes himself because he thinks he should wait up here in case medical attention is required after the swim...
OUT OF CHARACTER
If it helps you make your decision, CON scores are: Dr. Alexander 15, Eric 14, Marcus 14, Sahid 13, Tex 12

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Let's anchor the rope to something solid. You two will hold the rope, giving us slack as we move forward. If you feel a sudden jerk on the rope, it's not us. Bring us back.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Will items within my backpack of holding remain dry?

Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Conceding to the doctor's expertise, Eric shucks off most of hios equipment to better maneuver in the water. He'll keep his flashlight, multipurpose tool, and the remaining light sticks. His 150 ft of rope will allow himself and Marcus about 70 ft of reach each (allowing 5 ft for loops and knots).
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Alright, if your sure. Tex readies himself to be a rope puller.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry for the long delay. Busy couple of weeks. I will get us back on our regular (fast) schedule now.

Tex and Sahid set themselves up to "belay" as Marcus and Eric take a deep breath and descend into the water, each with a chemical light stick tied into their rope to make them easier to spot in the depths. Dr. Alexander stands back in reserve to help with the ropes or treat any injuries.

Eric and Marcus barely make it to the bottom of the stairs before they see the glow of Eric's stolen light stick returning from the west. The blob of the water elemental, with the light stick still suspended in it, comes zooming back from the west through the water right up next to Eric. The elemental reaches out with a pseudopod toward Eric in a threatening manner, but Eric, alerted by the approach of the light is quicker to act...
OUT OF CHARACTER
Damage totals:
Sahid -7 hp
Tex -1 hp
Eric -3 hp

Initiative and validation schedule:
Surprise Round
Eric Lightner
Water Elemental
---> Next Validation
Round 1
Sahid Khan
Brad "Tex" Laskin
Eric Lightner
Water Elemental
---> Validation
Marcus Tilsworth
Tividius Alexander
Round 2
Sahid Khan
Brad "Tex" Laskin
Eric Lightner
Water Elemental
---> Validation

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Uncertain how to fight a pugnacious puddle, Eric shouts, Everybody out of the pool! and scrambles up the steps to the corridor.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Surprise Round

Eric begins to shout out a warning, then remembers he is underwater. Not wanting to fill his lungs with water, he lets his actions speak for themselves and withdraws up the stairs. In his new position, he is waist-deep in water. Everybody out of the pool! he gasps.

Unwilling to let prey escape from its watery domain, the elemental follows Eric. It reaches a pseudopod through the water to whack at Eric's knees, but Eric easily avoids contact.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Damage totals:
Sahid -7 hp
Tex -1 hp
Eric -3 hp

Initiative and validation schedule:
Round 1
Sahid Khan
Brad "Tex" Laskin
Eric Lightner
Water Elemental
---> Validation
Round 1 Continues
Marcus Tilsworth
Tividius Alexander
Round 2
Sahid Khan
Brad "Tex" Laskin
Eric Lightner
Water Elemental
---> Validation

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Whoa! that was quick. You didn't want to give the swishy elemental a hug?

Tex pulls his Glock and backs up a step since Eric is out of the water.
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor »

Sahid takes a step back as well. All sorts of nasty nightmare things down here. How do we fight water?
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric will go to 1213 and stand by to help haul Marcus out of the water (and the elemental's lethally liquescent embrace) if necessary.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 1
OUT OF CHARACTER
Your movement was a little unclear, so I did the best I could...

Still holding Marcus' rope, Sahid takes a step back, pushing the doctor out of the way, All sorts of nasty nightmare things down here. How do we fight water?

Whoa! that was quick. You didn't want to give the swishy elemental a hug? Tex pulls his Glock and backs up a step since Eric is out of the water.

Eric withdraws from the elemental and moves to a position where he can help with Marcus' rope.

With Eric out of the water, the elemental turns its attention to the still-submerged Marcus. Marcus takes a whack from the creature's squishy "fists." [1 hp damage]
OUT OF CHARACTER
Initiative:
Round 1 Continues
Marcus Tilsworth - 1 hp damage
Tividius Alexander
Round 2
Sahid Khan - 7 hp damage
Brad "Tex" Laskin - 1 hp damage
Eric Lightner - 3 hp damage
Water Elemental
---> Validation

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”