{Modern Setting} So Many Lanterns

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: [Active Thread] So Many Lanterns

Post by Duniagdra »

How about you two go to the far end and I'll toss it down there. You think maybe you could search for that gricks lair? It might have something useful left over, or maybe even an egg or few to bring back for research.
Depending on where the grick is after dying, Marcus will spread it out or ask for it to be spread out for pictures. He'll then look to take tissue samples from it. Marcus will then lay on his belly and crawl to the far end and lower the rope, tying it to the beam.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

You want us to dig through the iron balls?? uh, ook.

Tex has a look around, then works his way to the far end of the chamber. Search for Grik lair (1d20+2=18)
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

No. It didn't emerge from the iron balls. It came out from under us, where we entered. It's lair must be there somewhere, and entrance. If it's not readily visible, then don't bother. Just meet us at the other end.
If it looks like they are having too much trouble moving about, or are getting injured doing so, then Marcus will just tie the rope where he is and lower it down.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry for the delay, gentlemen. I had a very busy weekend. I promise I will validate this game by Wednesday and also that something interesting will happen...

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

patransom wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry for the delay, gentlemen. I had a very busy weekend. I promise I will validate this game by Wednesday and also that something interesting will happen...

OUT OF CHARACTER
Marcus will hold his hat out to catch the falling candies.

Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric will make his way to the area of 0930 to 1230 and check the walls there for any signs of the creepy crawly's lair, or any other opening.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Looks like Marcus has an echo. :lol:

Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Untying his safety rope, Eric jumps down into the ball pit, successfully landing to avoid injury. He pours a healing elixir down Tex's throat [Tex healed 5 "real" hp and 3 nonlethal hp; putting him at 0 hp: conscious but disabled]

Thanks Eric, that was a mean critter. ... Who is it that's talking to us? Tex asks, as he's getting up.

In the meantime, Marcus takes some pictures of the dead grick, then belly crawls over to the far end of the balance beam. He sets off the trap three times in the process, making an awful racket, but no one is in the way to be harmed by the flying iron balls. When Tex asks for a little help getting back up on the beam, Marcus suggests a search for the Grick's lair.

Tex and Eric are about to comply when Tex's question about who was doing the talking during the fight is finally answered. The disembodied voice says, Wow! I can't believe it! Somebody finally survived both the trap and the monster! You guys are so cool! Out of the corner of his eye, Marcus notices a faint glow off to his left. This glow gradually takes on a recognizable form: it appears as a translucent boy of perhaps 13-years old wearing extremely dated clothing (1930's era, you would guess). The ghostly boy has a broken neck and long black fingernails (check out the picture below). He is floating in midair at the level of the beam off to Marcus' left.
alastorland.jpg
The apparition says to Marcus, Don't bother messing with the door. It doesn't open from this side. But if you really want to see what's on the other side, maybe we can make a deal. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. That kind of thing?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Status Report:
Eric - 2 hp damage
Marcus - 3 hp damage
Tex - 18 hp damage, conscious but disabled

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

A Deal? What is it we have to offer you?
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Eric, i dont have another fight in me. I'm not sure i can even lift my weapon.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus opens his pack and retrieves an elixir. He gets Tex's attention and tosses it to him.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I think Marcus has one more elixir?

Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex catches the vial from above, and while the dealing is being discussed, drinks it down.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric also has one bottle of elixir left, which he'll offer to Tex while listening to Marcus' conversation within the ghostly boy.

THINKING: At least it's not a pallid Japanese school girl with black pits for eyes.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Marcus tosses his second-to-last bottle of elixir down to Tex. Tex drinks it [healed 6 hp].

Eric also holds out his last bottle for Tex, although Tex doesn't take it yet.

Marcus asks the ghostly boy, A Deal? What is it we have to offer you?

The ghost responds rather sadly, Well, you see, I've got a bit of a curse on me. I'm pretty much stuck in this part of the tomb. Been stuck here a long time, years and years. I think it's because, well, I ran away from my family when they really could have used my help... I think if someone were to take my bones from here and bury them with the rest of my family, I could be free of the curse and could finally rest. So that's what you could offer me.

He sighs, then continues, Over the years, I've seen many explorers like you. The trap in the walls kills most of them and the monster gets the rest. You're the first ones who've lasted long enough for me to talk to. All the others tried to get through the far metal door and all of them failed before they died. It's too bad, because I could easily help. I can't leave the way all of you came in because of the curse, but I can float right through that far wall. There's a catch on the other side of the door that opens it without a problem. If you'll just bury my bones where they belong, I'll trigger the door for you before I pass on to the next world.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I'll be out of town until next Friday. I will try to check in while I'm away, but I can't guarantee it...

Status Report:
Eric - 2 hp damage
Marcus - 3 hp damage
Tex - 12 hp damage

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex Drinks the 3rd vial and asks Where are your bones, and where do they need to be buried?
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I see no reason why we could not do this for you. What's on the other side of that door though? Where does it take us? If you open the door for us, I promise we'll return, or I at the very least will return for your bones to bury. Where are they? I can fit them in my pack I think.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

And where's the rest of your family buried? Eric asks.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Tex drinks Eric's last bottle of elixir [healed 5 hp], while the ghost answers the questions, The room on the other side of the door is a huge, glorious chamber with strange carvings and a pillar of air that shoots right up into a hole the ceiling. The curse doesn't let me go farther, but I think there's more to explore through that hole.

My bones are underneath the metal balls, along with everyone else's who died in this chamber. You should be able to tell mine, though, since they're the only kid-sized bones. You need to bury them near the rest of my family: my mom, dad, brother, and sister. I expect they're buried on our old property; generations of us were buried there and we were too poor to afford the graveyard. I don't know how much things have changed on the "outside," but our farm used to be about 3 miles the other side of Coal City from here, then about a mile south of the main highway. If the roads have changed, there's probably some record of the Land Family owning a farm near here.

Once you bury my bones, I'll open the door, not before. Sorry, but I've been here so long, don't want to risk you going through the door and never coming back.

OUT OF CHARACTER
To move things along: a search through the ball pit, if you decide to do it, will turn up the boy's bones (among many others), along with some old coins and a few other historical-looking items of minor value (which I won't go into detail about, since we're about to switch over out of modern).

Status Report:
Eric - 2 hp damage
Marcus - 3 hp damage
Tex - 7 hp damage

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

So it seems you leave us little choice. Of course, I expect after burying your bones to return here and find nothing changed. If you can't trust us, why should we trust you?
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Probably a good idea to check the local registry to locate what was Land family property back before the Second World War and find out what's become of it, Eric opines as they bundle up the bones. It's even possible the tract was developed and the graves exhumed and reinterrment done elsewhere. And I suspect our best bet to bury our new friend's bones with his kinfolk will be a clandestine operation in the wee hours of the night; I really don't want to try and convince some caretaker or coroner that a ghost identified his remains for us.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

CGM3 wrote:Probably a good idea to check the local registry to locate what was Land family property back before the Second World War and find out what's become of it, Eric opines as they bundle up the bones. It's even possible the tract was developed and the graves exhumed and reinterrment done elsewhere. And I suspect our best bet to bury our new friend's bones with his kinfolk will be a clandestine operation in the wee hours of the night; I really don't want to try and convince some caretaker or coroner that a ghost identified his remains for us.
Marcus nods his agreement.
Alright, fine then, let's set to finding his remains, and we'll return to main chamber and pack everything up.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex gathers himself, holsters his weapon, and helps finding the Bones.

Afterward he says Well, other side of town, we should get moving. And take Lantern with us.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

tdsprouse wrote:Afterward he says Well, other side of town, we should get moving. And take Lantern with us.
Yes, that's what I meant by pack everything up. Let's get to it.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

After we check the local land office, Eric insists. A lot can happen in seventy years. Might not be anybody around who remembers that family.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

What do you wish we do with your remains should we not find your family?
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

As the team digs through the ball pit to gather up the ghostly boy's bones, he answers Marcus' questions:

It's not that I don't trust you. It's that you could end up dead like me before you have a chance to bury my bones. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess there are more traps or monsters farther in, past the big room behind the door.

I really hope you can find my family's burial site. It's the only way I'm sure you can end the curse. If you really, honestly can't find them, I guess a good, Christian burial might help. Although if that doesn't work, I might be forced to haunt you for the rest of your lives...

Having collected the bones along with a few other valuables, the team rejoins Sahid and the doctor and exits the cave, making sure to gather all the lanterns on the way out.

As soon as they emerge, however, there is a bright, blinding flash of light. Unable to stand it, everyone immediately closes their eyes. Strangely, a peaceful, sleepy feeling comes over each of you...
OUT OF CHARACTER
It's time to move the game to Pathfinder, if you're still willing. The in-character activity continues here

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”