{Modern Setting} So Many Lanterns

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Re: [Active Thread] So Many Lanterns

Post by tdsprouse »

Easy there bub, we're right here!

tex moves to 1131 to see teh critter.

Shooting the Grick (1d20+4=7, 2d6=8)
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus moves out to 1026 and shoots at the creature. Ranged Beretta Attack/Damage vs Grick (1d20+1=9, 1d6=3)
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 1

After warning his companions, Eric leans over the edge of the beam and takes a shot from his prone position. He just barely misses, his bullet cracking the wall just to the right of one of the creature's mouth-tentacles. Oooh, nice shot! cries the disembodied voice, Darn, I thought you were going to hit him there!

Marcus runs out along the beam. In doing so, he sets off the ball trap again! With a thump, he is hit in the side by an iron ball [3 hp damage]. However, Marcus manages to remain standing on the beam. Eric remains below the level of the projectiles and thus is safe. Marcus does try to shoot the crawling creature, but misses completely, probably due to the distraction from having triggered the trap. The disembodied voice calls out, much too late to warn Marcus, Watch out for the trap! Hahahahaha!

Tex moves to the edge of hallway and leans out to shoot at the critter. Perhaps he has vertigo, because his shot is nowhere near hitting. Oh, oh! says the voice, I think all the shooting's making the monster mad. Better watch out.

The wormy creature scoots diagonally up along the wall to a point right below Tex, where it can reach up and get him with its tentacles and beak. Fortunately, Tex manages to dodge all but one of the flailing tentacles [3 hp damage]
OUT OF CHARACTER
Round 3
Eric - 2 hp damage, prone
Marcus - 3 hp damage
Tex - 4 hp damage
Curious Grick - on the wall just below and in reach of Tex
---> Validation

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex moves (5') to 1030 and squeezes off another shot. HAha! What now son!

Shoot Grick (1d20+4=19, 2d6=8)
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus repeats his same action. Ranged Beretta Attack/Damage vs Grick (1d20+1=9, 2d6=10)
After firing the round, he prepares himself to drop should balls come flying out again.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Taking careful aim -- and expending an action point -- Eric shoots again... with pretty much the same result, darn it.

Eric's Second SHot at the Elusive Grick: 1d20+4+1d6 = 10+4+1 = 15, 2d6 = 2+2 = 4 damage ( :roll: )
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 3

Taking careful aim, Eric shoots again... with pretty much the same result, darn it. Oooh, so close! comments the voice, You are very unlucky, aren't you?

Marcus repeats the same action, with the same result. He prepares himself to drop, should the balls come flying again, but they don't. The voice says to him, I think you're not unlucky. I think you're just kind of a bad shot...

Tex takes a step out onto the beam, taunting the creature, which he then shoots right below the beak. The creature's skin seems extraordinarily tough, and the bullet does somewhat less damage than Tex might have expected, although it certainly still hurt the creature. The voice says, approvingly, Wow, you're really good!

The creature does not respond verbally to Tex's taunt or attack. Instead, it hops up into the corridor next to Tex and assaults him with tentacles and beak. This time, Tex takes blows from two tentacles. [7 hp damage total] The voice comments with concern, Watch out, you're making him angrier...
OUT OF CHARACTER
Round 4
Eric - 2 hp damage, prone
Marcus - 3 hp damage
Tex - 11 hp damage
Curious Grick - injured
---> Validation

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

With the creepy-crawly now engaging Tex in melee, and Marcus in the way, Eric gets to his feet. *Bleep* it, Tex, retreat off the walkway so we're not all bunched up like this! We're gettin' in each other's way!
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting on Tex and Marcus...

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry about that.

Ranged Attack/Damage vs Grick (1d20+1=14, 2d6=8)
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
sorry, missed this on sunday

Tex backs up 5' to 1029 and fires again...

Double Tap (1d20+4-2=6, 2d6+1d6=6)

:~(
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 4

With the creepy-crawly now engaging Tex in melee, and Marcus in the way, Eric gets to his feet. *Bleep* it, Tex, retreat off the walkway so we're not all bunched up like this! We're gettin' in each other's way! The disembodied voice giggles, Now, now, don't start picking on each other! Don't you have enough trouble with the trap and the monster and all?

Marcus takes another shot at the creature; another shot that misses. The voice just sighs.

Tex backs up and fires off two quick bullets, both of which miss. The voice comments, Hey! That's a neat trick! Too bad it didn't work.

The creature slithers after Tex, catching him with one out of four tentacles [3 hp damage].
OUT OF CHARACTER
Round 5
Eric - 2 hp damage
Marcus - 3 hp damage
Tex - 14 hp damage
Curious Grick - injured
---> Validation

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

5' step tp 1027, Double Tap

Double Tap (1d20+4-2=11, 2d6+1d6=13)

Damn It!
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus will fire off another round. Ranged Attack/Damage vs Grick (1d20+1=7, 2d6=11)
Dammit!!!
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Eric takes careful aim -- burning another action point -- and shoots, striking the beast squarely but doing little damage. Frak!

Eric Takes Another Shot at the Grick: 1d20+4+1d6 = 19+4+1 = 24, 2d6 = 1+1 = 2 damage.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 5

Eric takes careful aim and shoots, striking the beast squarely, in spite of the people in the way. His bullet, however, literally bounces off the critter! [I decreased the Grick's DR so that you would have a chance of surviving, but I didn't decrease it that much!]Frak! Eric curses. Frak is right! says the disembodied voice with some disappointment, That was a really good shot. I didn't know the monster was so bulletproof...

Marcus fires off another round, with very poor results. Dammit!!! he curses. The voice comments, You guys sure curse a lot. I'd tell my mom, if she were here...

Tex, once again, backs up and uses a double tap, with no luck. The voice seems genuinely sad, Man, you're not getting any luck at all...

The creature, again, slithers after Tex and, again, gets him with one out of four tentacles [4 hp damage].
OUT OF CHARACTER
Round 6
Eric - 2 hp damage
Marcus - 3 hp damage
Tex - 18 hp damage
Curious Grick - injured
---> Validation

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus fires again. Ranged Attack/Damage vs Grick (1d20+1=6, 2d6=6)
He looks about ready to begin stomping his feet.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Marcus, maybe you should switch places with Tex and try that cavalry saber, Eric suggests as he wastes another bullet. I can't see how we could do any worse.

Eric Possibly Shoots a Passing Fly: 1d20+4 = 6+4 = 10, 2d6 = 5+4 = 9 damage
OUT OF CHARACTER
Marcus said he was taking the saber, so I assume he's carrying it. And, yes, unless he has Archaic Weapon Proficiency he'll take a penalty to hit, but it's not like we're doing that much right now! (And if the saber is enchanted, its plus to hit will offset some of the penalty, and it could bypass the grick's damage reduction.)

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

On Eric's suggestion, Marcus will holster his barrette and remove the saber.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Gripping it for combat, does Marcus notice anything about the weapon? Is it's damage like a scimitar?

Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Duniagdra wrote:On Eric's suggestion, Marcus will holster his barrette and remove the saber.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Wait, Marcus was fighting with a girl's hair decoration? No wonder he wasn't doing any good!
[quote]barrette: a clasp or bar for holding the hair in place. (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)[/quote] :mrgreen:

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

\Step back, Double Tap.

Double Tap (1d20+4-2=3, 2d6+1d6=12)
OUT OF CHARACTER
I think IC is cold.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

CGM3 wrote:
Duniagdra wrote:On Eric's suggestion, Marcus will holster his barrette and remove the saber.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Wait, Marcus was fighting with a girl's hair decoration? No wonder he wasn't doing any good!
[quote]barrette: a clasp or bar for holding the hair in place. (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

:mrgreen:[/ooc][/quote]
:P
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 6

Marcus, maybe you should switch places with Tex and try that cavalry saber, Eric suggests as he wastes another bullet. I can't see how we could do any worse. Having apparently observed Eric miss again, the voice agrees heartily, That's true, you couldn't do much worse!

Marcus fires again. He looks about ready to begin stomping his feet. Therefore, he takes Eric's suggestion, holstering his gun and preparing to draw the cavalry saber. Oh, don't give up! says the voice, apparently unclear about what Marcus has planned, It would be boring if you just gave up. [I wasn't even aware of this when I described the sword (which was a short sword in the D&D version of this adventure) as a cavalry saber, but the saber is actually a weapon in d20 modern, so we'll go with the d20 modern stats for a saber, which are 1d8 damage, 19-20 crit range, both slashing and piercing damage. Once Marcus draws and uses the weapon next round, it will be apparent to him that it is enchanted, with a +1 bonus.]

For a third time, Tex has no luck with the backs up and double tap trick. The voice sighs again.

The creature pursues Tex again and gets him with a couple of tentacles [8 hp damage total, putting Tex at -4]. This knocks Tex off the balance beam, and he falls unconscious into the ball pit below [An additional 3 hp nonlethal, putting him at -7, but he can bleed to -13 before dying because those 3 don't count toward death]. The ball pit doesn't seem to be putting him in any additional danger from sinking or suffocating, so maybe it's best Tex is down there, out of Marcus' way. The voice say, Oh dear, that's one out of three. This is going to turn out like it always does, isn't it?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Round 7
Eric - 2 hp damage
Marcus - 3 hp damage
Tex - 25 hp damage, including 3 nonlethal, unconscious in the ball pit.
Curious Grick - injured
---> Validation

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus step in drawing the saber and attacks the grick with it. Saber Attack/Damage vs Grick (1d20+3=21, 1d8+2=7)
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

At least he's not saying something lame like, 'I expect you to die, Mister Bond', Eric mutters as he gets off another shot.

Eric Blazes Away at the Seemingly Indestructible Grick: 1d20+5 = 8+5 = 13, 2d6 = 1+3 = 4 damage
OUT OF CHARACTER
Just realized I've been using the wrong bonus for the Glock, which counts as a masterwork weapon.

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
oops. :~(

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Round 7

At least he's not saying something lame like, 'I expect you to die, Mister Bond', Eric mutters as misses again. The way things are going, I do kind of expect you to die, sighs the voice, But who's this Mister Bond person?

Marcus step in, drawing the saber. The voice comments, Hey, cool sword! Where'd you get that? Without bothering to answer, Marcus swings away and cleanly cuts the Curious Grick in half! [Even after subtracting the nonproficiency penalty, that hits. It ignores the DR, and does exactly enough damage to kill the Grick. I guess IC finally paid you back for all the terrible rolls.]

Holy Crap! That was so cool! screams the voice. I guess you better help your friend, then we can talk some more, it adds slightly more sedately.

Down in the ball pit, Tex bleeds a little. [Down to -8; five rounds to go before death]
OUT OF CHARACTER
Eric - 2 hp damage
Marcus - 3 hp damage
Tex - 26 hp damage, including 3 nonlethal, unconscious in the ball pit.

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

ek, *cough*
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

With the creepy crawly despatched, Eric will drop down into the pit, move to Tex, and pour one of the healing elixirs into his mouth (this leaves Eric with one).
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Thanks Eric, that was a mean critter. ... Who is it that's talking to us? Tex asks, as he's getting up.

Not waiting too long on an answer, he begins thinking about getting back up to the bridge.

Toss down a rope wouldja?

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”