The Land Family Farm

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

rednick90
Templar
Templar

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by rednick90 »

Image Sabine Human alchemist 4
Image Jormungandr: Dwarf/Fighter
Image Baron Von Freeze: Gnome/Summoner
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

What interest might this Smenk have in the old Land farm? Cyrius muses. Or grave robbing?
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
At the Stables

Oi, ya know i ain't much fer talkin', so i'll give ya 2 pieces a gold for the buyer's name. take et or leave et.

Diplomacy (1d20-2=6)
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:What interest might this Smenk have in the old Land farm? Cyrius muses. Or grave robbing?
Master Penkawr answers, I can't imagine. Unless he's trying to blackmail someone or one of the other mine owners is trying to blackmail him. There's considerable infighting amongst them and the Cult of Grismal would frown upon such activity. Still, it doesn't seem like the typical scheme for economic advantage. He thinks some more, I wouldn't suggest confronting Smenk himself about it. He'd certainly deny any involvement and you'd just make yourselves a powerful enemy. Instead, you might try to find one of his men wearing that tattoo. There must be some who aren't slaves to be found around town in their off hours.
OUT OF CHARACTER
If you want to follow up on Penkawr's suggestion, you'll have to ask around town. Make a diplomacy check to gather information if that's what you want to do. You're welcome to try something else instead, of course.

Anyone else who wants to try to gather information about a buyer for the baby owlbear can make a separate diplomacy check (Edgar and Tex have already failed).

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

patransom wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
If you want to follow up on Penkawr's suggestion, you'll have to ask around town. Make a diplomacy check to gather information if that's what you want to do. You're welcome to try something else instead, of course.

Anyone else who wants to try to gather information about a buyer for the baby owlbear can make a separate diplomacy check (Edgar and Tex have already failed).

OUT OF CHARACTER
If acceptable, I rolled for both.

Diplomacy to Gather Information Penkawr's suggestion, buyer for the baby owlbear (1d20+4=10, 1d20+4=21)
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Duniagdra wrote:If acceptable, I rolled for both.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Yep, everybody roll for both (if desired).

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Lanch Faraday gladly accepts Tex's bribe and suggests that the baby owlbear be taken to Zalamandra's Emporium, where they might want it as an addition to their menagerie (called the “Gallery of Science”). This turns out to be a silly suggestion, as a quick conversation with the staff at the Emporium reveals that they have no capacity to raise a wild animal like an owlbear. The attempt to find a buyer would have ended there, except that Marcus asked some questions of some interested patrons at the Emporium. One of them suggests speaking to a man named Fester Trollump, who is a permanent guest at the Able Carter Coaching Inn. Trollump traps badgers in the hills and sells their pelts for a modest profit on monthly trips to Tula. On rare occasion he traps more exciting beasts like griffons or manticores, which he personally takes to Tula for sale to his wealthy patron. So an owlbear might be of interest to him. Sure enough, after tracking down Fester Trollump at the inn, he is willing to offer 1,500 gp for the baby owlbear.
OUT OF CHARACTER
So, that's -2 gp for Tex. Each of you can make a diplomacy check (if you like) to try to get Trollump to bring his price up on the baby owlbear.

In the meantime, various party members make discreet inquiries about where some of Smenk's men with the special tattoo might be found. Together, Cyrius and Lola learn that there is a gang of thugs who work for Smenk that frequents the Feral Dog tavern. They arrive most nights around 8:00 pm, and leave in a drunken stupor about three hours past Midnight. Their leader is a towering albino half-orc named Kullen who has that tattoo right on his forehead.
OUT OF CHARACTER
All of the party except Edgar will remember visiting the Feral Dog before to check out the competition -- this would be a retcon of what happened starting around here in the Modern game. Replace the Hungry Dog tavern in Coal City with the Feral Dog in Rastingdrung and, as indictated here, replace Eric Gold and Tara Smith with Auric and Tirra.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Image Image
rednick90
Templar
Templar

Post by rednick90 »

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Knowing that Lola is not that diplomatic, she does not even try.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

With some shrewd negotiating, Edgar and Marcus get Fester Trollump to raise his price for the baby owlbear to 1,950 gp.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Split evenly, that's 390 gp for each party member. I'll keep the info in the Loot Divider for the next time I have you update sheets, unless someone wants to spend their share right away.

Now, what are you going to do with the information about Kullen the tattooed half-orc? It is around the time he and his gang should be arriving at the Feral Dog right now...

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Since they generally don't leave until past midnight, I think it might be best we wait until then and catch them in the street somewhere. This way if questioning him gets out of hand, there'll be less chance in anyone knowing who we are. Keeping the fact of us looking into this unknown is important I think. The few to know, and the fewer to find out, the better.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

I agree, and it will give me time to go see the bowmaker.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Tex is looking for a Masterwork Composite Longbow (+2) should be about 600gp i think. Comp bow (100) + 2 Str bonus (200) + Masterwork (300). Lemme know if that is available, or if there would be a lead time. Also, selling his current bow, which should bring in about 35 gp?

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

tdsprouse wrote:I agree, and it will give me time to go see the bowmaker.
Hey, that's a great idea. I could have someone identify this quarterstaff too. Shouldn't be too costly. Marcus will use this time to seek out someone how can tell him exactly what this staff is and does.
Image Image
rednick90
Templar
Templar

Post by rednick90 »

Edgar will scout the busy streets and try to locate a back way out in case things don't go as planned.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius thinks it might be a good idea to have one or two of us go to the Feral Dog beforehand to check on Kullen the half-orc, get an idea of who he associates with, then leave before midnight.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Tex goes to Venelle's, where he finds she has just the bow he's looking for in stock (for 600 gp). She is also willing to purchase his old bow (for 37 gp, 5 sp).
OUT OF CHARACTER
So the net cost to Tex is 562 gp, 5 sp

Marcus returns to Master Penkawr, who is the obvious choice to identify items. The wizard had not previously examined the quarterstaff closely because it didn't detect as magical (and still doesn't). Now Marcus points out the weapon's unusual design with the notched segments. Master Penkawr immediately realizes this is an item of some importance. He explains that the Chronicle of Chan suggests that the Orichalan Dragon Lord architect, Nadroc, spent the last years of his life crafting a staff in the image of the Rod of Sotur and imbuing it with magics that were a faint reflection of that artifact’s full powers. Nadroc named this work of martial sculpture Nadroc’s Tribute. The design of Marcus' staff suggests it is Nadroc's Tribute. While the architect imbued many powers into Nadroc’s Tribute, he never fully completed his work. However, a worthy wielder, powerful in his own right, who is also a skilled sculptor, might be able to complete the crafting needed to unlock the full potential of the staff. Doing so would require a significant investment of the wielder’s own personal energy and of expensive materials, but might be worth the cost. Master Penkawr also has a very good idea about what those powers might be.
OUT OF CHARACTER
This is a Weapon of Legacy. I will PM you more details about it.

Edgar makes a circle around the Feral Dog. He discovers that there is no back door, although there are a couple of dirty windows that might be big enough to squeeze through.

While the others are busy, Cyrius and Lola go inside to check on their quarry. The Feral Dog, they are aware from previous visits, is a sleazy tavern on the Vein’s central square (it's number 3 on the map). Every night (and especially when the workforces of several local mines let out at the same time) cheering laborers within the bar scream obscenities and wave betting vouchers over two dogs in a lethal pit fight. No one savors the tinny ale, but the place is more about camaraderie, bravado, and desperation than about expecting exemplary quality or service. Tonight is typical, although the dog fights have not started yet.

As they arrive, an albino half-orc with a telltale tattoo on his forehead is just now approaching the bar. This must be Kullen. He is huge, nearly 7 feet tall. He wears no armor, but carries a very large greataxe. With him are three other men, all of them native Ghinorans:
  • A wiry goon with long, clumpy black hair that hangs down over his large eyes, giving him a sullen look. He wears a chain shirt and has two swords at his hips.
  • An ugly fellow who has short brown hair cut into a flat-top. An angry red scar marks the left side of his sneering face from the forehead to the tip of the chin. He wears banded mail and leans on a nasty polearm as he approaches the bar.
  • A bald, ill-tempered looking man dressed in robes with no visible weapons other than a crossbow at his back.
The other patrons give this group a wide berth and move out of their way to allow them space at the bar. Cyrius and Lola manage to overhear the thugs' conversation:

Kullen asks, Whose turn is it to buy? The scarfaced fellow answers, Well, it would have been Skutch's turn... This elicits a scowl from Kullen and a loud curse from the robed man, who goes so far as to slap scarface on the back of the head. Properly chastened, the man with the scar plunks a few coppers of his own on the bar and the four of them set in to drinking.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Do you guys need a layout of the inside of the Feral Dog? Or are you just going to go back outside to the square and wait until the goons exit?

Status Report:
Edgar - 10 hp damage

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius is ready to discreetly withdraw now that they've ID'ed their quarry, unless Lola has something she wants to do (preferably short of a full-out brawl).
OUT OF CHARACTER
[quote]He ... leans on a nasty polearm as he approaches the bar.[/quote] Rather like entering a sleazy joint in downtown New York City and there's a guy with a bazooka. "I have a permit for that." >:)

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will follow Cyrius' lead, and withdraw.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex thanks the bowman, and head back to rendezvous with the others.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

When reuniting with the group, Macrus gets the attention of everyone. Holding the quarterstaff for everyone to see, he begins to explain.

This is Nadroc’s Tribute. It's a Weapon of Legacy. Nadroc intended the wielder to be someone worthy of his comrades, who fell in battle to demonic forces in the final battle of Night’s Dawning.

To begin unlocking it's power I need to find an ancient stronghold created by the demonbrood and aid in defeating whatever resides there when found. After that, I must spend two days finishing the intricate designs on it's shaft. Of course, I need time to learn about weapon crafting and sculpting and will require some costly materials. It will be a worth-while investment in the long run, but it's not something I can do alone.

Will you help me with this?
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

uh, sure. You mean right now? I'd like to finish we i've started here first. Tex replies, hoping he wouldn't have to leave this task undone.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

tdsprouse wrote:uh, sure. You mean right now? I'd like to finish we i've started here first. Tex replies, hoping he wouldn't have to leave this task undone.
No, not right now. I still need to work on my crafting skills as well as come up with two thousand gold in material.
Image Image
rednick90
Templar
Templar

Post by rednick90 »

Sounds like fun. If you locate the stronghold, you can have half of whatever i make and or earn along the road.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius is keeping an eye on the entrance of the Feral Dog.
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola keeps an eye out. " I will help as soon as we are done here."
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Seeing positive support from his team, Marcus thanks them, Great! Maybe tomorrow I'll ask Master Penkawr if he knows of any such place, or a good place to begin the search. But only after we've first finish with the Whispering Cairn.
Image Image
rednick90
Templar
Templar

Post by rednick90 »

Edgar will go inside, order a drink and keep an eye one the marks.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”