The Land Family Farm

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by tdsprouse »

Maybe we can go after the Goat-Faced bastard, since you cant. Where can we find him. Those bones were important to someone.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola agrees with going after the goat-faced dude.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Does Goat-Face have a name? Cyrius wonders aloud.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus waits as the others ask their questions. He looks to the hooded man to see what his answers are.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Goat-face calls himself Filge, Todrick replies, saying the name like he's spitting out something that tastes bad, You wanna go after him, that's more than fine with me. Ugly bastard deserves a good beating. Just don't bring my name into it. Boss has him set up in the old observatory.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

INT check to recall this old observatory (1d20+2=10)

Marcus looks to his mates for inclination that they know of this place.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Everyone who's been in town during daylight hours will have noticed a building with a big domed roof on the hill to the south. It is #34 on the map here. It would be reasonable to assume that building might be the old observatory.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Was there mention of, or inclination of what he needed the bodies for? Marcus starts growing concerned of reanimation.
Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola looks about, not liking the idea of reliving beings.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Todrick answers Marcus, Merovinn said something 'bout maybe he wants the bodies for necro... necrophil... necromas... necrosomethin', but I don't know much 'bout that kind of wizard talk. So, you gonna let me go now, right? And give me my gear back?
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Looking to his partners for a general consensus, should they all agree, Marcus will cut the bonds keeping the man held, but leave the hood on him. If the man takes it off, he's not too concerned, as it won't be hard for the man to draw a conclusion of who they are later when he recognizes Lola should he see her again. Unless of course someone feels keeping him tied and hooded until we're all way is better. In either case, he says the following:

We didn't know how cooperative you'd be, and considering how the locals fear your group, we assumed you'd not be. I don't apologize for what we did, as I'm sure you'd have done the same or worse to others in your shoes. Understand though, that it's you and your three friends we'll be after should anyone come at us at any time after this, whether by your instructions or your boss's. We're not inclined to differentiate.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Since there are no objections, Marcus cuts the bonds holding Todrick. Todrick immediately throws the blanket off his head, gathers his equipment (which I assume Marcus has ready to hand over), gives each party member a careful look (including a leer at Lola), then strides purposefully out of the ruined farmhouse.

What will the party do next?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Status Report:
Edgar - 7 hp damage

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

It was your decision, or lack of reaction that created this new situation. I expect we'll be having trouble with this crew now, and getting to this person at the observatory will not be easy now, since I expect this individual will alert his crew and boss. I suggest we go at once.

Waiting for no one, but expecting everyone to see the need to get to this observatory before their released captive can alert anyone is urgent, Marcus leaves, following only a short distance behind the guy storming off. If the man begins to run, Marcus will begin to hustle, edging his partners to do the same, without attempting to chase the man.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex equals the mans glare, the follows after Marcus
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius follows Tex and Marcus.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will keep up with the group, not too worried about being recognized, knowing we can take care of ourselves.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm heading out of town until Thursday, so I'm not going to wait for Edgar to confirm that he's coming along. I'll just assume he is.

Hopefully, you guys can plan your next move based on the below. I should have some internet access, so I should be able to answer questions before Thursday, but not validate any dice results or anything.

The group moves out, following Todrick at a short distance. Todrick notices them following, but chooses not to pick up the pace. After a bit of walking, he reaches town. To Marcus' relief, he turns north toward the central square (the red arrow on the map), rather than south toward the observatory. Still, hoping not to lose the element of surprise, the party hurries to the old observatory (in the direction of the blue arrow, to #34 circled in blue).
On a bluff overlooking an abandoned mine, the crumbling old observatory casts its gaze to the heavens. A wide slit bisects its domed tower, where surely a great telescope once peered into eternity. Now the place bears a dark character, like a sagging tenement broken under the weight of decades of inhabitants. The ground slopes steeply here, so that the building's north side is taller than the south. From either side, the distance to the peak of the tower is quite high, so that entering via the telescope slit would require quite a climb. Although there are windows in the tower's north and south sides, along what might be the second and third floors, they are little more than slits and would require a bit of a squeeze for a normal-sized person to enter.

Attached to the tower on the west is a one or two story flat-roofed section. Although this wing has no windows, it does have two entrances, both on the west side. What appears to be the main entrance is reached by a stairway to a wide porch well above ground level. The huge wooden door at porch level is shot through with dark blue mold and carved with an enormous round moon showing a lunatic’s jabbering face. It is not clear which of the Wilderlands' three moons is represented, however. Beneath the porch at ground level, an unremarkable wooden door appears to lead under the porch stairs.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Below is a little side view of the north side of the building (the porch is missing) and a top view map with some details about the locations of doors and windows.

The white to gray gradient on the map is supposed to represent how the ground slopes up from north to south.

The grid shown is actually 10 feet by 10 feet, meant only to help you strategize. I will replace it with the normal 5 foot grid if something happens to require it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

We can always knock on one of the doors and ask to borrow a measure of flour, Cyrius muses. Or some of us could go ask about the current owners and occupants of the place while the rest keep an eye out for developments.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Nodding to Cyrius' more serious remarks, I agree. Perhaps Master Penkawr might be able to further assist? I can go inquire.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

I'll wait here, and scout teh place. See if anything moves about.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Marcus heads off downhill and into town to see if Master Penkawr knows anything about the goings on at the old observatory, while the rest of the group waits behind to keep an eye on things. Arriving at Penkawr's house (#18 on the map), Marcus is confronted by Penkawr's new assistant (apparently Marcus' replacement), a Way of Many Steps monk named Dolek. Dolek is very reluctant to awaken his master so early in the morning, but, after some convincing, Marcus eventually gets to meet with his former mentor.

Penkawr is not at all bothered by the early hour, and is eager to hear what new historical finds Marcus might have encountered. He seems slightly disappointed when he learns Marcus is only there to ask about the observatory. He says, The observatory was built before I was born, but it is not particularly old or mysterious. I understand that there was a faction among the monks with an interest in astronomy for a time. This fell out of fashion, so the monks abandoned the observatory and eventually sold it. I do not know who currently owns the building, but it's probably the same person who owns the abandoned mine under the hill. I had thought the observatory was unoccupied, but come to think of it, I have noticed some lights up on top of the hill on recent nights. I know nothing more than that...
OUT OF CHARACTER
Marcus is free to ask more questions or head back to the group. Those of you at the observatory can make spot checks to notice anything going on.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus will inform Master Penkawr of the missing bodies and their connection to the person at the observatory, then abruptly apologize as he leaves, explaining that there's urgent need for hm to return. Upon returning, Marcus relays what he was told, and so this may require our investigating the mine as well. I say we stop dawdling and get in there. We haven't any other choice since we must find these remains and return them to their resting place.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

While Marcus is gone, Tex keeps his eyes open. Perception (1d20+9=26)
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius also remains alert.

Cyrius observes the observatory: 1d20 + 7 = 11 + 7 = 18 (19 if surprise is involved ;) )
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will look about
OUT OF CHARACTER
Perception roll (1d20+3=16)

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

While Marcus is gone, there are no comings or goings from the observatory. However, Tex spots some movement inside the tower through the second row of windows (which might connect to the third floor). It is too fleeting and far away to see exactly what it is, but he's sure there's something up there.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting for the party to do something

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Duniagdra wrote:Marcus will inform Master Penkawr of the missing bodies and their connection to the person at the observatory, then abruptly apologize as he leaves, explaining that there's urgent need for hm to return. Upon returning, Marcus relays what he was told, and so this may require our investigating the mine as well. I say we stop dawdling and get in there. We haven't any other choice since we must find these remains and return them to their resting place.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I don't know anything more to add to my action. I already returned to the group.

Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola asks, "So we need to get in there? Do we take the direct approach and just walk up to the front door or what?"
OUT OF CHARACTER
Is there a way to walk around the building without being seen?

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Seems to me that we've two choices of action here, Cyrius opines. Like Lola says, we can walk up to the front door and ask to be let in, which if nothing else would probably get a response out of them. Or we can try sneaking up and climbing through a window to see what we can find. Somehow, I don't think this Filge is going to be very forthcoming, so I favor the sneak-and-scale approach. We should probably get some rope to help with the ascent, he suggests.

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”