The Land Family Farm

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

Post Reply
User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6877
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by Duniagdra » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:55 pm

It seems I must repeat myself. Marcus says with a touch of sarcasm. Master Penkawr suggests whomever it is that owns this observatory now is the same who owns the mine beneath it. It's highly likely there a connection between the two, else why mention it. Perhaps our way in might be through the mine.

In either case, I feel both may need a looking into, as it's clear that there's no mining going on. Why own a mine of you're not mining? Because it's a convenient means of experimenting and conducting questionable activities unseen.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by patransom » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:35 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
[quote="kabkal"]Is there a way to walk around the building without being seen?[/quote]

If anyone happens to be looking out the windows, anyone approaching the building in broad daylight from the north or south is likely to be seen. There's no shrubbery or anything to hide behind. The east and west sides of the building, however, have no windows, so anyone approaching from either of those directions couldn't be observed. You could walk right up to the front door without being seen, if you hike up the west side of the hill.

Regarding the abandoned mine at the bottom of the hill, the entrance is boarded up. Of course, you could remove the barricade, if you want to investigate inside the mine.

 

Image

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by kabkal » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:07 pm

"Maybe I missed it, but where is the entrance to the mine. Maybe that is the fastest way in."
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by patransom » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:16 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
[quote="kabkal"]"Maybe I missed it, but where is the entrance to the mine. Maybe that is the fastest way in."[/quote]

For reference, the abandoned mine entrance is #32 on the map posted here. The observatory is #34 and circled.

 

Image

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by kabkal » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:43 am

patransom wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
[quote="kabkal"]"Maybe I missed it, but where is the entrance to the mine. Maybe that is the fastest way in."

 

For reference, the abandoned mine entrance is #32 on the map posted here. The observatory is #34 and circled.[/ooc][/quote]

OUT OF CHARACTER
OK, I had to right click on the map and do a view image to actually see the whole thing. I could not see 32 or 34 without doing that.

 

"I say we head to the mine and go in that way. Maybe we won't be seen then.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6877
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by Duniagdra » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:15 am

Seeing one person finally getting what he's pointing at, Marcus waits for an opinion from his other teammates.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
CGM3
Divine Rank 9
Divine Rank 9
Posts: 3157
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:20 am
Location: Atlanta, GA (USA)

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by CGM3 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:44 pm

There may or may not be a connection from the mine to the observatory, and tearing down those boards could attract attention, Cyrius remarks. We can try sneaking up to the building from the east or west, then circle to the north or south and attempt entry through a window.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6877
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by Duniagdra » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:09 pm

Judging by the distance, I'm feeling noise won't be an issue. Besides, just how do you propose we enter those windows? They look to be at a second and third story, which is out of my reach. Also, what windows that do exist are by narrow slits. We'd all have to squeeze through, again unseen by anyone within. The front door would be an easier bet for gaining access than a window. I still propose the mine. My gut tells me the mine is going to be the way in undetected. Why own a mine and keep it sealed up. There should be miners, or some form of work being conducted within. Suppose he's reanimating the dead to dig in the mine? I can't help but feel I'm too close to being right on this.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by kabkal » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:27 pm

"I really agree the mine is the way to go. The question is do we go now or wait for night fall?"
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by tdsprouse » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:38 am

Lets go now. Not much to be gained by waiting till night, other than different kinds of critters out wandering around.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
CGM3
Divine Rank 9
Divine Rank 9
Posts: 3157
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:20 am
Location: Atlanta, GA (USA)

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by CGM3 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:56 pm

Cyrius bows to the will of the majority and is ready to try the mine.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by patransom » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm kind of fast forwarding this bit. I didn't want to dissuade you from doing what you wanted to in character, even though the mine doesn't actually attach to the observatory. But I rolled for a random encounter in the mine and came up with nothing, so there's no sense in dragging it out.

 

Descending to the abandoned mine entrance, the party pries away the boards covering the opening. This proves to be an easy task, since the boards are very old and rotted. Beyond, a dark tunnel descends ominously into the earth. The party prepares appropriate lights and makes it's way cautiously into the mine. After about five minutes of descending the dark tunnel, they come to an abrupt end. Here, the supporting timbers have collapsed and the tunnel further ahead is entirely caved in. It would take many hours of digging to clear a way forward, with no guarantee that there wouldn't be further cave-in's in the process.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm re-posting the layout map of the observatory for your reference.

 

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6877
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:45 am

Well, if not for the cave-in, I guess we'll not really know for sure if they do connect. Let's go to the front do and see if we can get in on our own. I say we just take a straight forward approach and go in the front door. Unless someone has an idea for getting to a window that is on a second floor and that you have to squeeze through.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by tdsprouse » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Sounds good to me.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
CGM3
Divine Rank 9
Divine Rank 9
Posts: 3157
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:20 am
Location: Atlanta, GA (USA)

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by CGM3 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:07 pm

I'm still willing to try a sneak-and-enter through one of the windows, Cyrius volunteers.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6877
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by Duniagdra » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:46 pm

CGM3 wrote:I'm still willing to try a sneak-and-enter through one of the windows, Cyrius volunteers.
If you're able to get me in there, fine, I'm willing to have a try at that, but it seems pretty high pal.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by kabkal » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:29 pm

"Front door seems a better approach considering the height of the windows and the narrow look to them.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

User avatar
CGM3
Divine Rank 9
Divine Rank 9
Posts: 3157
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:20 am
Location: Atlanta, GA (USA)

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by CGM3 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:52 pm

On the other hand, that honkin' big opening where the telescope used to be looks plenty big enough, Cyrius muses. A bit of a challenge to get there, but I don't think it's impossible, though I'd advise some climbing kits.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6877
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by Duniagdra » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:35 am

I really don't care how we get in any more. We need to get in. It's your responsibility to be sure you get me in.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by tdsprouse » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:37 am

Tex grumbles as he starts walking to the front door.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
CGM3
Divine Rank 9
Divine Rank 9
Posts: 3157
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:20 am
Location: Atlanta, GA (USA)

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by CGM3 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:47 pm

With a bemused shrug, Cyrius follows Tex. The direct approach it is, then.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6877
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by Duniagdra » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Marcus follows to Tex and Cyrius hoping that one of them are good at getting through the door. He knows he's good at neither. All his hopes were in his gut feel that the mine gave entry.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by kabkal » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:50 pm

I will follow to the front door.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by patransom » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:17 am

After the foray into the mine fails to produce an entrance to the observatory, the party discusses what to do next. The discussion is cut short when Tex, with typical dwarven stubbornness, marches straight up the hill to the front door. The rest of the party decides to follow.

They make their way up the steps to the high front porch. The huge wooden door at porch level is shot through with dark blue mold and carved with an enormous round moon showing a lunatic’s jabbering face. Even up close, it is still not clear which of the Wilderlands' three moons is represented. A quick check by Tex reveals the door to be locked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6877
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:40 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
The map shows a door at ground level. Were we aware of this fact before, or was this something we noticed once we got closer?

 

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by patransom » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:14 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
See the first post describing the observatory

 

Image

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6877
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by Duniagdra » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Referring to the dark-blue mold and moon with the mocking face, Marcus resigns, I don't like the look of this. Though it might only be a storage room, I'd like to have a look a the door below. It's something about mold and symbols that I find... uneasy.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by kabkal » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:56 am

Lola takes a closer look at the moon and the mold to see if she can recognize.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Knowledge check (no bonuses on any knowledge) (1d20=16) Not sure what knowledge to use, but none have any bonuses so use what ever is necessary please.

 

Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

User avatar
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21
Posts: 6877
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: Newark, New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by Duniagdra » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:59 am

kabkal wrote:Lola takes a closer look at the moon and the mold to see if she can recognize.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Knowledge check (no bonuses on any knowledge) (1d20=16) Not sure what knowledge to use, but none have any bonuses so use what ever is necessary please.

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
If your knowledge skills have no bonuses, due to ability or rank, then you have not trained in them, and knowledge skills require being trained, which means you make only an INT Check.

 

Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Image

kabkal
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: USA

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by kabkal » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:46 pm

Duniagdra wrote:
kabkal wrote:Lola takes a closer look at the moon and the mold to see if she can recognize.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Knowledge check (no bonuses on any knowledge) (1d20=16) Not sure what knowledge to use, but none have any bonuses so use what ever is necessary please.

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
If your knowledge skills have no bonuses, due to ability or rank, then you have not trained in them, and knowledge skills require being trained, which means you make only an INT Check.

 

OUT OF CHARACTER
Then it is an INT check, still no bonuses.

 

Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image Coty: Gnome/Summoner
ImageBART 1173:Andriod/Pisterol

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder}”