PF Rules Questions

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

PF Rules Questions

Post by CGM3 »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Just ran across an error in my copy of the PF Core Rulebook. On page 184, it describes Fighting Defensively as a Standard Action as imposing a -4 penalty to hit while giving a +2 bonus to AC. On page 187, it describes Fighting Defensively as a Full-Round Action as the same thing, word for word. But on page 90, at the tail end of the Acrobatics skill description, it states that 3 ranks in Acrobatics gives a +3 bonus to AC when fighting defensively (instead of +2), and a +6 bonus (instead of +4) to AC when using the total defense action (which, I presume, means you get no attacks). In other words, the same as D&D v3.5, only somebody goofed when proof-reading the latter entry.

Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: [Active Thread] The Land Family Farm

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
[quote="CGM3"]Just ran across an error in my copy of the PF Core Rulebook. On page 184, it describes Fighting Defensively as a Standard Action as imposing a -4 penalty to hit while giving a +2 bonus to AC. On page 187, it describes Fighting Defensively as a Full-Round Action as the same thing, word for word. But on page 90, at the tail end of the Acrobatics skill description, it states that 3 ranks in Acrobatics gives a +3 bonus to AC when fighting defensively (instead of +2), and a +6 bonus (instead of +4) to AC when using the total defense action (which, I presume, means you get no attacks). In other words, the same as D&D v3.5, only somebody goofed when proof-reading the latter entry.[/quote]

I don't see where there's an error?

Fighting defensively (with either a standard or full attack): you attack at -4 and get +2 to AC, or +3 to AC if you have 3 ranks of Acrobatics
Total defense (which means you do not attack, see p. 186): you get +4 to AC, or +6 to AC if you have 3 ranks of Acrobatics

Waiting on Tex...

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

The error is that the description of full defense is the same as the description for standard defense, e.g. -4 to hit and -2 to AC. The PF Core Rulebook doers not say that full defense gives ++4 to AC.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:The error is that the description of full defense is the same as the description for standard defense, e.g. -4 to hit and -2 to AC. The PF Core Rulebook doers not say that full defense gives ++4 to AC.
OUT OF CHARACTER
My pdf version (Third printing April 2010) says on p 186:

"Total Defense: You can defend yourself as a standard action. You get a +4 dodge bonus to your AC for 1 round. Your AC improves at the start of this action. You can’t combine total defense with fighting defensively or with the benefit of the Combat Expertise feat. You can’t make attacks of opportunity while using total defense."

I think you might be confusing Total Defense with Fighting Defensively as a Full-Round Action (p 187):

"Fighting Defensively as a Full-Round Action: You can choose to fight defensively when taking a full-attack action. If you do so, you take a –4 penalty on all attacks in a round to gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC for the same round."

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Re: PF Rules Questions

Post by CGM3 »

By George, I think you're right. I looked for "fighting defensively" in the index and got references to "as a standard action" and "as a full-round action", and assumed the latter was the same as "total defense", which has its own entry (pointing to pg 86). I have fumbled my Research check. :oops:
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:By George, I think you're right. I looked for "fighting defensively" in the index and got references to "as a standard action" and "as a full-round action", and assumed the latter was the same as "total defense", which has its own entry (pointing to pg 86). I have fumbled my Research check. :oops:
Ah, you see, the problem is Research is not a skill in Pathfinder :)
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Sure it is, in a way...

Research is the same as Gather Information, which I believe in PF is diplomacy? :D
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Or is it closer to Decipher Script, now in Linguistics? :P
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Hm... I guess it depends on it's application to determine by what means to roll. :D
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

smeltdm wrote:Didn't want to cluter game thread with this question, but based your post below
Can I assume that Prost's ranged weapons are loaded; Second crossbow & sling staff?
[ooc]Not that it matters, but my assumption was that people were already traveling the caves with weapons and shields ready. I'll make sure to clarify that in the future.[/ooc]
My approach: If you're walking around with a ranged weapon at ready, it's loaded. If it's stowed, it's not loaded. Carrying a loaded crossbow on your belt or back just seems like a bad idea. Carrying a stowed and loaded sling (or sling staff) seems somewhat difficult. How could you be sure the rock wouldn't fall out?
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

CGM3 wrote:[ooc]From 1802 to 1701 to 1601 to 1500 is 15 ft (remember, Pathfinder treats all diagonals as 5-ft increments), so that's 30 ft of movement, one move action. :wink:[/ooc]
According to the PRD, this rule has not changed from 3.5. Every other diagonal counts double.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Subject: [Active Thread] The Third Face of Evil
CGM3 wrote:...he makes a partial charge against goblin G5 (which reduces his AC by 2)...
No. See rules text below. In this case, you are not restricted to taking a standard action (due to being staggered or slowed or something). You simply only have a standard action left because you already moved on this turn. If I allowed move actions, followed by charges as a standard action, people (especially monsters) would be using it all the time to effectively charge around corners and obstacles.
PFSRD wrote:You can't use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action on your turn.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

patransom wrote: effectively charge around corners and obstacles....
You cannot charge around corners or obstacles.
You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles). You must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can't charge. If any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can't charge. Helpless creatures don't stop a charge.
admin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Duniagdra wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 pm I need your ruling/judgement on this thought. I was toying with the idea of using my unseen servant wand to summon one as a way to distract the lizardmen surrounding Cyrius; pushing arms in mid swing, maybe charging one to nudge, something like that. Is there any rule about distractions in combat and could it be reasonable that an unseen servant could apply enough force to effect any form of distractive actions? Maybe throwing a light stone when a lizard man is trying to hit?

I tried searching, but these were the only results I found.
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=006680642 ... gsc.page=1
The actions that simulate distractions in combat that I can think of are: using the Aid Another action and using the Bluff skill to feint.

An unseen servant can't use the Aid Another action because it's never allowed to make an attack roll.

For feint, the DC is 10+opponent's base attack bonus+opponent's wisdom bonus and an unseen servant can't make a skill check with a DC greater than 10. So there might be a opponent out there that could be feinted by an unseen servant, but its going to be a pretty incompetent opponent.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Yeah. I kind of figured that much. It's cool though. Was thinking maybe pushing an elbow, knee, or tossing a stone might be enough. I knew about the skills and such. In reality having a stone hit me as I'm attempting to attack someone could be distracting enough, but again it might not as my focus would likely be pretty set.
Image Image

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”