The Old Observatory

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Re: [Active Thread] The Old Observatory

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus will begin to rush upstairs calling out, Upstairs now!
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

What?!? Tex exclaims as Marcus runs into the unknown. He follows defensively (getting to 0310 i think)

ACTIVE EFFECTS
AC=18
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Weapon ready, Cyrius ascends the stairs (to 0210, if possible), alert for an encounter with hostile forces, which will doubtless be resolved in the traditional PC manner...

Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola with weapon drawn will follow the party, making sure nothing attacks her from behind.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Faced with the shouting head, Marcus begins to rush up the stairs. The rest of the party follows his lead, readying weapons as they go. Cyrius and Tex, who were closer to the stairs to start with, actually pass Marcus to take the lead.

Now halfway up the stairs, the party can see part of the upper floor of the observatory. It appears that a single chamber dominates the entire floor. Light filters through the wide slit in the roof, presumably bathing the center of the room in illumination. However, there is a tall piece of furniture to the west of the stairway (the party's left). Although this object (possibly a storage or book shelf) does not reach anywhere near the domed ceiling, it is tall enough that its backside blocks the view of most of the room. In the corner of the room that can be seen, there is a large mirror which reflects a bright beam of light from the slit in the roof toward the direct center of the room.

From somewhere behind the shelf that blocks the party's view, a hoarse, hacking voice can be heard singing a dreadful melody. From down below, the shouting of the severed head continues. The cries of INTRUDER! INTRUDER! INTRUDER! can be heard clearly over the creeping singing, so the singer is presumably aware of the alarm, but has not bothered to stop his singing.
OUT OF CHARACTER
No, you can't see around the corner using the mirror. The reflected sunlight obscures any image from inside the room.

As you plan your actions, remember that moving on the stairs counts as 2 squares.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
Texudus TreeBender - 6 hp damage

Rounds since the head began shouting: 1
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius moves to 0413, scanning the sector of the chamber that becomes visible from that vantage and standing ready to respond to any attack.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Knowing that just stepping about the corner will mean being an easy target, Marcus will point to the bookcase thing and indicate pushing it over.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Text move defensively to 1212.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Duniagdra wrote:Knowing that just stepping about the corner will mean being an easy target, Marcus will point to the bookcase thing and indicate pushing it over.
OUT OF CHARACTER
This is a really good idea that won't work because the bookcase is bolted to the floor. Even though this isn't obvious, I won't make you waste a turn trying it and failing, because it's a good idea and I want to encourage such strategies in general.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

patransom wrote:
Duniagdra wrote:Knowing that just stepping about the corner will mean being an easy target, Marcus will point to the bookcase thing and indicate pushing it over.
OUT OF CHARACTER
This is a really good idea that won't work because the bookcase is bolted to the floor. Even though this isn't obvious, I won't make you waste a turn trying it and failing, because it's a good idea and I want to encourage such strategies in general.

Frowning at a sudden realization, Marcus nixes the idea and indicates so to anyone who might consider the idea. Marcus will ready any feedback from Cyrius.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

tdsprouse wrote:Text move defensively to 1212.
I think you mean 0212, unless you want "Text" to charge blindly west to the far side of the chamber.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

:D

Uh, yes, 0212. :blush:
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting on Lola

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry, thought my intentions were stated.

Lola will stay to the back of the group making sure no one comes up from behind, and then once the above danger is identified she will move again.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Marcus and Lola wait on the stairs while Cyrius and Tex move cautiously up and into the large chamber that makes up the 3rd floor.

From his new position, Cyrius can see most of the room. He notes two more large mirrors similar to the one behind him in other corners of the room. Presumably, given the bright light coming from that direction, a fourth mirror exists in the southeast corner, although that corner remains blocked from Cyrius' view.

The mirrors reflect bright beams into the direct center of the room, a recessed operating theater accessible via two short sets of stairs. The beams specifically target a blue-skinned humanoid figure splayed out upon an operating table, its chest completely opened and pinned back against the table with long metal needles.

Two large shelves cluttered with piles of papers, rotting organs, and instruments block off the east and west sides of the operating theater. Four metal-and-glass tanks, each easily large enough to hold a human, flank the short stairs leading to the operating theater. Each tank is full of yellow liquid streaked with rust. Indistinct, vaguely human silhouettes bob silently in the soupy fluid.

Cyrius immediately spots the source of the dreadful singing: a thin, pale man (F) in black robes who stands in the far corner of the sunken section of the room and holds a syringe of sickly yellow liquid. In front of the singing man is a 5-foot tall skeleton (S) holding a scimitar.

The man sees Cyrius enter the room and ceases his hoarse tune. He injects himself with the syringe. This has no obvious effect, but as he gives himself the injection, he smiles and calls out, Arise, my beautiful monstrosities!

In response to his shout, the tanks at the four corners of the operating theater shatter. A humanoid, but corpse-like figure bursts forth from each of the cylinders. The one in the southeast corner (BZ) is hulking and bestial, with patches of matted fur hanging off. The other three (T1-T3) are smaller and skinnier, but hideously reptilian, with tails and sharp teeth. Their scales are falling off in places.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Time to BEGIN COMBAT! The shelves and shattered tanks block most access routes to the sunken section of the room. The only way down to where the man and the skeleton are is via the stairs on the north and south. Moving on the stairs counts double, but you'll have to get past the zombies first, anyway...

It is possible you could access the lower section by squeezing between a tank and a shelf and jumping down (for example, going from 0412 to 0511), but doing so would require an escape artist check and also require 2 squares of movement.

ACTIVE EFFECTS
INITIATIVE ORDER:
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade (C)
Lola (L)
Marcus Tilsworth (M)
Texudus TreeBender (T) - 6 hp damage

Filge (F)
Skeleton (S)
Bugbear Zombie (BZ)
Troglodyte Zombies (T1-T3)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Let's take these guys, Tex! Cyrius proclaims as he steps to 0513 and hews at T2 with his mind blade (currently in longsword mode).

Cyrius attacks a zombie troglodyte.: 1d20 + 6 = 10 + 6 = 16, if that hits does 1d8 + 2 = 2 + 2 = 4 damage.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus will drop his pack and move to 0412 to begin taking pot shots at Filge.
Elemental Ray vs Filge (1d20+3=20, 1d6+1=5)
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Using Deadly Aim, TEx looses an arrow at T2

Atk T2, Point Blank Shot, Deadly Aim (1d20+6+1-1=13, 1d8+2+1+2=6)
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will move up to 0312 and let lose a wave of energy against all undead in a 30' radius (off Lola).
OUT OF CHARACTER
Energy Wave (2d6=5) 5 points of damage to all undead in the area that do not make a DC 13 save. Those that make the save take 2 points of damage.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Let's take these guys, Tex! Cyrius proclaims as he steps forward and successfully hacks T2 with his mind blade.

Lola moves up to the top of the stairs and lets lose a wave of positive energy. T2 and T3 take the full brunt of the damage. The skeleton does not take full damage, but what gets through is very serious given the figure's small size. T1 and BZ are, unfortunately, just out of range. [I added the +3 from the Sun Domain that you forgot, so damage was 8 HP to T2 and T3, 4 HP to the skeleton.]

Tex loses an arrow at T2, but misses. [I have Tex's base ranged attack, before point blank and deadly aim, at +5 (not +6) and damage at 1d8 (not 1d8+2), not that it matters since he missed]

Marcus drops his pack and moves up the stairs. He fires a bolt of electricity through the gap between the shelf and the broken tank. The bolt finds its way to Filge and delivers a bit of a shock.

Get them, my pretties! Filge commands, waving the zombies forward. And, you, come with me, he says to the skeleton, as he retreats back toward the south end of the room. Once there, he casts a spell that makes a translucent, skeletal hand appear next to him. The spell also seems to weaken Filge a little, but has no other immediate effect.

The skeleton dutifully follows Filge to the back of the room.

T2 attempts to bite Cyrius with its sharp, nasty teeth, but misses. T3 charges forward and tries to do the same, also with no success. T1 and BZ lumber across the operating theater toward the party.
ACTIVE EFFECTS
INITIATIVE ORDER:
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade (C)
Lola (L)
Marcus Tilsworth (M)
Texudus TreeBender (T) - 6 hp damage

Filge (F) - slightly injured
Skeleton (S) - badly damaged
Bugbear Zombie (BZ)
Troglodyte Zombies (T1-T3) - T2 badly damaged, T3 damaged
[/quote]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Tex bought (and here)a MW Composite Longbow (+2 str) with his share of the 'Modern' loot plus the selling of teh owlbear. I thought you might just update your sheet, but here is my copy of the tos. TOS File

Bollocks! Tex exclaims as another arrow scitters wide of T2 - Atk, w/ PBS and DA (1d20+6+1-1=10, 1d8+2+1+2=6)
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

I could use some company on the front line! Cyrius informs his companions in an aggrieved tone as he slashes at T2 once more, than withdraws back to 0413.

Cyrius's second attack: 1d20 + 6 = 10 + 6 = 16, damage is 1d8 + 2 = 1 + 2 = 3
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

From his same vantage point, Marcus send forth another Elemental Ray vs Filge (1d20+3=8, 1d6+1=6), but his aim is off.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting on Lola. I will be out of town Sunday through March 31st. If kabkal posts before I leave, there is a chance I might get in a validation on Sunday. Otherwise, it will have to wait until March 31st.

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will once again blast with an energy channel.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Energy channel with sun bonuses (2d6+3=7)

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

I could use some company on the front line! Cyrius informs his companions in an aggrieved tone. He successfully slashes T2 (which now has gaping holes in its scales) once more, than withdraws back a step.

Lola once again unleashes a burst of positive energy. This eliminates T2 and badly damages T3. T1 and BZ are less damaged by the energy, perhaps because they are farther back.

From his same vantage point, Marcus send forth another electric bolt at Filge, but his aim is off.

Bollocks! Tex exclaims as another arrow skitters wide of its target. [I completely forgot to add your purchase before; now using your version of Tex]

Filge casts another spell. The spectral hand darts across the room to touch Marcus. Unable to resist the power of the spell, Marcus finds himself completely paralyzed. Furthermore, he begins to exude the disgusting scent of rotting meat. [Lola, Cyrius, and Tex need a DC15 Fort save to avoid being sickened.] Filge laughs and commands his zombies, Yes, destroy the intruders, my lovelies!

BZ lumbers clumsily up the stairs to arrive next to Cyrius. T1 trails behind. T3 charges forward and tries to bite Cyrius, but the abomination's teeth cannot penetrate Cyrius' chain shirt.

Waved forward by Filge, the skeleton takes up a more defensive position, in case anyone gets past the zombies.
ACTIVE EFFECTS
INITIATIVE ORDER:
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade (C) - Needs a DC15 Fort save or sickened
Lola (L) - Needs a DC15 Fort save or sickened
Marcus Tilsworth (M) - Paralyzed for 7 rounds
Texudus TreeBender (T) - 6 hp damage, needs a DC15 Fort save or sickened

Filge (F) - slightly injured
Skeleton (S) - badly damaged
Bugbear Zombie (BZ) - slightly damaged
Troglodyte Zombies (T1-T3) - T1 slightly damaged, T2 terminated, T3 badly damaged
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Lola's Fort Save: Fort Save (1d20+3=15) Tie goes to the player???

Lola will step up to 0414 and attack T3 with her drawn +1 sword. And misses badly.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Attacking T3, that is if not sickened. (1d20+4=6, 1d6+2=3)

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Rice struggles inwardly futilely against the paralysis angered with his inability to help his comrades.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

If these are your lovelies, Athena spare us your uglies! Cyrius jeers as he manages to shake off the nauseating effects of Marcus' sudden effluvium. At least the Amazon has the cojones to enter the fray! he continues as he deals a ferocious blow to T3.

Cyrius makes his save against the vile odor and slashes successfully at the troglodyte zombie: Fort save 1d20 + 3 vs DC 15 = 19 + 3 = 22, attack is 1d20 + 6 = 19 (critical threat range!) + 6 = 25, base damage is 1d8 + 2 = 3 + 2 = 5.

Cyrius tries to confirm his critical hit: attack is 1d20 + 6 = 9 + 6 = 15. if that hits (16 hits, does 15?), an additional 1d8 + 2 = 5 + 2 = 7 points of damage for a total of 12
OUT OF CHARACTER
Marcus seems to be having an identity crisis; he thinks he's somebody named Rice!

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Invisible Castle seems to be down. I'll update this later if i remember.

Fort Save (+5)

Tex, still cursing his new bow, knocks another arrow and sends it toward T3. 1d20+6+1-1,1d8+2+1+2

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”