Return to the Whispering Cairn

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Re: [Active Thread] Return to the Whispering Cairn

Post by CGM3 »

[ooc]Yes, a cleric's channeling heals the cleric as well (unless you have the feat that allows you to exempt individuals from its effect and exempt yourself.)[/ooc]

After being healed, Cyrius moves to 0911, reforms his mind blade as a rapier, and keeps an eye out for anything else that might show up with unfriendly intent.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex shoulders his bow, and walks up to the pillar of air as well. Taking an arrow and testing the pillar. Touching it with the arrow, pushing it into the stream of air.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Lola grants some healing to everyone, including herself, then examines the pillar of air as originally planned. Her investigation doesn't reveal very much that is new. As described here, the air appears to be somehow spontaneously generated from the floor of the basin 60 feet below, because there is nothing down there but a blank floor. From there, the wind rushes upward, through the hole in the ring the party is standing on, and then continues on through the hole in the ceiling from which the Wind Warriors emerged.

Tex tests the pillar of air with an arrow. When he pushes the arrow into the wind, the tip is gently and firmly pushed up toward the hole in the ceiling. It takes some considerable strength for Tex to prevent the arrow from being pulled from his grasp. He guesses that the wind is strong enough to support a person, possibly even lift them slowly...

[ae]Cyrius of the Sudden Blade - 7 hp damage
Lola - 3 hp damage[/ae]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

[talk]It seems that this air column might be a lift, similar to those lifts in the other chamber.[/talk] Marcus stows his crossbow. [talk]I'd like to recap what we all recall of each of these mist murals. I'd expect, like with the other chamber, there might be a puzzle above us. The thing is, if it's strong enough to give us lift, how do we get down?[/talk]
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola "looks" at the air pushing up, looks up to the ceiling, looks back down and then responds [talk]"Maybe we don't need to come back down?? Maybe there is a switch up top to lessen the amount of air that would allow us to float down."[/talk]
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Looking up at the hole in the ceiling, Cyrius ventures, [talk]Do we have any rope? I think we should fasten one end down here, maybe wrap around this walkway if nothing else, then tie the other end to whoever makes the initial ascent. That'll give him -- or her -- a safety margin if the pillar of air isn't sufficient to raise a human being, and by fastening that end in the upper level we can use the rope to pull ourselves down if necessary. Unfortunately, I have no rope.[/talk]
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[talk]I've got some silk rope, but its probably too light to do anything but flutter around in this wind. Tying off here is a good idea though, I'll volunteer for going up first.[/talk] Tex says, eyeing the ceiling.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Hearing no objections from his allies, Tex ties the rope around himself, then ties it off around the walkway. Stepping into the pillar of air, he finds the rope is not really needed (other than for peace of mind in case the wind should suddenly stop). The wind easily supports his weight and essentially makes him neutrally buoyant in the air. Inside the pillar of air, he finds it easy to "swim" upwards and, with a bit more effort, downwards as well. Thus, the pillar provides him a means to access to hole in the ceiling and should also provide an easy way out.

Tex swims up and pokes his head through the hole. There he finds a much smaller mostly rectangular chamber. Opposite the hole and the pillar of air, up a set of three short stairs, rests a white marble sarcophagus identical to the one in the room with the colored lanterns far below (except this one's not missing a finger), complete with a sculpted humanoid figure carved into the lid.
sarcophagus.jpg
A beautifully carved bas-relief on the wall near the sarcophagus depicts the same figure as a bald, androgynous warrior wearing a simple ancient garment and wielding a mighty longsword. To the warrior’s left stands a cloaked demoniac figure with two long curved horns tipped in darkest red. The horned figure holds a device composed of a handle and small loop, seemingly using it to control a globe of absolute blackness about two feet in diameter.
what the demon's holding.jpg
In the next scene of the bas-relief, the black globe touches the bald warrior, who raises his arms in surprise. The warrior is depicted as if fading from sight. A slim diadem upon his brow bears an elaborate ovular glyph identical to one carved upon an amulet worn by the figure on the sarcophagus lid.
zosielglyph.jpg
ACTIVE EFFECTS
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade - 7 hp damage
Lola - 3 hp damage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex Calls down to his companions, relaying the scene. Then steps out of the pillar of air into the room itself and starts to look around a little more closely.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius suggests that Tex find someplace up there to secure the other end of the rope. If he should accidentally do something to shut down the pillar of air and not be able to turn it back on, that will give him a way back (that doesn't involve jumping and aiming for the walkways!)
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus agrees and listens carefully to what's described of the scene above. He tries all he can to identify any of this in what he might know. When hearing this loop and rod and this black orb, he tries to call any knowledge of items he's learned of or heard of that match it.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Knowledge: Arcana check for Marcus (1d20+8=20)

From Tex's description, Marcus suspects that the black globe depicted in the fresco must be a sphere of annihilation controlled by a talisman of the sphere wielded by the horned figure. Many legends suggest that the deadly spheres were created during the Wind War of Night's Dawning. Now they are the stuff of legends.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

[talk]Most interesting.[/talk]
Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola asks [talk]"Should we all go up there?"[/talk] If everyone agrees she will "swim" her way up.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]So long as Tex doesn't disturb anything before we get there, yes,[/talk] Cyrius agrees; he will follow Lola.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[talk]I wont touch a thing. Come on up.[/talk]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

The rest of the party joins Tex up above. The additional sets of eyes reveal nothing more than what Tex already saw. The only obvious place to tie off the rope, if that's still under consideration, would be to wrap it around the sarcophagus itself.
ACTIVE EFFECTS
Lola - 3 hp damage
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius suggests the rope be fastened about the sarcophagus (just in case), then the walls of the chamber be examined for hidden doors and the like, and finally the sarcophagus be searched.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

While tying the rope around the sarcophagus, Tex asks [talk]What do you think, Open it up?[/talk]
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

[talk]Yes, but we need to make sure first it's not trapped.[/talk]
Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Once we are ready to open the box I will ready a Bless spell and cast it if needed.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[talk]Which of us is any good at detecting traps?[/talk] Cyrius muses.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Plans for what to do in the room are discussed, with the first order of business being to tie the rope off around the sarcophagus. As Tex approaches the dais to do so, he notes that the sarcophagus is completely sealed, exhibiting not even a seam under the lid. For all appearances, it is a solid block of marble. This may make opening it difficult.

When Tex reaches the top stair of the dais, the bas-relief sculpture suddenly animates. The warrior looks directly into Tex's eyes and speaks. The language is unfamiliar, but somehow all present know the meaning. The animated warrior is saying, "Speak my name." Thereafter, the image fades back into the wall and the chamber grows still.

[ooc]Tex can proceed to tie off the rope now, if he still wishes, but I didn't want to presume he'd continue with that plan after the surprising development.[/ooc]
ACTIVE EFFECTS
Lola - 3 hp damage
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

[talk]Crap! What was the name of this fellow? I know we uncovered it! I completely forgot.[/talk] Marcus tries searching back through his not so orderly notes. [ooc]I know we have it revealed to us somewhere in one of the threads, but I forget were and don't have the tine to look for it.[/ooc]
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Brow furrowed as he wracks his memory, Cyrius ventures in a soft, almost reverent voice: [talk]The Chronicle of Chan spoke of that Wind Duke, Zosiel, who was disintegrated by some sort of sphere wielded by a demonic creature named, uhm, Ogremoch, and a cairn raised in his honor. Could this be that memorial?[/talk]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex freezes and backs up a step. [talk]uh...[/talk]

After hearing Cyrius' recollection, [talk]Yeah, that could certainly be it. Worst case, he melts our faces off.[/talk] Tex says with a chuckle.
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Hint: the animated image asked Tex to speak the name...[/ooc]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex looks around [talk]Uh... Here goes.[/talk]

He takes another step forward, waiting for the thing to animate. Then he says [talk]Zosiel[/talk].

[spoiler][ooc]Verata, Klawtu, Neck-Tie. New-Stye, hmm, definitely and N word.[/ooc][/spoiler]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

tdsprouse wrote:[spoiler][ooc]Verata, Klawtu, Neck-Tie. New-Stye, hmm, definitely and N word.[/ooc][/spoiler]
[spoiler][ooc]Philistine! Every true believer knows that the Sacred Words are: "Klaatu birada nikto"! May Gort Himself reduce you to a pile of smouldering ash! :rant:
Well, yes, Bruce Campbell gets a pass because he's Bruce Campbell... but nobody else! :thumb1:[/ooc][/spoiler]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

As soon as Tex speaks the name, Zosiel, bright blue light shines around the sarcophagus lid. It fades a few seconds later, revealing a seam between the lid and the rest of the sarcophagus. So, what was once a solid block of marble is now a more traditional sarcophagus, ready to be opened...
SpoilerShow
Beware calling upon the dark forces! In the Wilderlands, there's always like a 1% chance a deity is listening. And I'm sure Klaatuu is a deity...
ACTIVE EFFECTS
Lola - 3 hp damage

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”