Rastingdrung

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Rastingdrung

Post by patransom »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Time to level up! When you get around to it, please post your revised sheets in your character's thread in the Adventurers section (links below for your convenience):

Marcus
Tex
Lola
Cyrius

Each character has earned 2,843 XP since the last update (Tex's total should be 6,511, since his original sheet didn't have his starting XP total)

The party collects the items found in the sarcophagus (a slight silver diadem inscribed with the same glyph as the one shown in the bas relief and on the sarcophagus lid; two long slightly curved black horns with red tips, identical to the ones on the head of the demoniac figure in the bas relief; a pewter box inscribed with alien, writhing letterforms, melted metal seals the lid of the box) and makes the return journey to the town of Rastingdrung.

Their first stop (presumably) is the home of Master Allustan Penkawr. They find the old man sitting in his front yard, intently studying a dragonchess board set upon a tree stump. He looks up only briefly as they approach.
ACTIVE EFFECTS
You can assume you rested during the return trip and reset all your spells, HP, etc.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Re: [Active Thread] Rastingdrung

Post by tdsprouse »

Oi, who ya playin' there? Tex asks as they;re walking up.

OUT OF CHARACTER
Leveled - http://theonlysheet.com/community/viewt ... =66&t=7909

Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola watches to see how the game is played since she has never seen it before.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Lola updated here: http://theonlysheet.com/community/viewt ... 831#p77831

Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Master, I trust you're having a challenging game. After Penkawr responds, Marcus will be too excited to wait. We've found some items I think you might be interested in, but we can wait till your game is finished.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius regards the gameboard with polite interest, waiting for the sage to acknowledge them.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Has Cyrius ever encountered, or perhaps even played, dragonchess previously?

Try not the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Master Penkawr looks up from the board once spoken to, Ah, you've returned! Hello! He responds immediately to Tex and Marcus' comments, I am not so much playing as I am studying. The game was one against my old master. There's little chance of it being finished, so let me see your discoveries.

When the party shows him the items found in the Whispering Cairn, Master Penkawr, as a matter of course, casts detect magic. The headband bears a glyph that I identified for you earlier. It's that of Zosiel, one of the lesser Dragon Lords said to have fallen during the final battle of the Wind War of Night's Dawning. If you found it in the final tomb of the complex, then it is strong evidence that the Whispering Cairn was the final resting place Zosiel. Facinating. It would have been more exciting if the tomb were that of Icosiol, but even the lesser Dragon Lord's tomb is still a significant historical find.

The headband is also magical, moderate transmutation. Unsurprising, given that it's an artifact of ancient Oricha.

The horns appear to be demonic. One might guess they are from the very demon that slew Zosiel. You can imagine his comrades placing them in his tomb to signify that his death did not go unavenged. They are non-magical, but interesting nonetheless and of value to a collector.

The sigils on the box are those of Demogorgon, who as I'm sure you're aware, let the opposing demon hordes in the Wind War. The box itself is not that special, but there's something magical inside, radiating strong transmutation. Should we see if we can open the box?
OUT OF CHARACTER
Regarding Dragonchess: it is an extremely popular game here in the south, less so in the northern regions. Here in Rastingdrung, there's even an establishment where the wealthy and educated go to play the game: Lazare's Dragonchess Parlor. So it's quite possible that some of you have played the game, particularly if you're from the Ghinor region or have been in Rastingdrung a while. However, it's played with the Profession: Gambler skill, so if you don't have that skill, you're not particularly good at it.

If you want a refresher on the history/backstory of the Whispering Cairn, it's here

Also, I still need a 4th level sheet for Marcus.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius' attention perks up at the mention of Oricha and the Wind War of Night's Dawning. Perhaps this casket's contents can lead to further information about "psionic magic"! I think the risk is worth the prize, he opines eagerly in answer to Master Penkawr's question.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

I'd like to see what's inside and if it can help us.
OUT OF CHARACTER
forgot about the level up for marcus.will work on that tonight.

Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola nods in agreement about opening the box, but she stands back a bit in case something bad happens.
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

I'm always keen for discovering the unknown. How will we get it open?
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

It's just a dab of melted metal holding it shut... says Penkawr as he examines the box, a little bit of effort might... He tugs on the lid and the seal breaks with a snap. Inside the box is an adamantine loop attached to a long handle.
what the demon's holding.jpg
Aha! gasps Master Penkawr excitedly, This is a Talisman of the Sphere! Not really of much use unless you encounter a Sphere of Annihilation. But if you do, you really don't want to be without this talisman! He hands the box and the talisman back to the party, I'd suggest you hang on to this. One can never be too prepared.

Now, did you have any other questions for... He suddenly remembers something, Oh wait! I nearly forgot. One of Balabar Smenk's grubby henchmen stopped by yesterday. He wanted me to pass a message to the four of you. His master wishes to meet with you at your earliest convenience. Those were the exact words he used, although he managed to make them sound threatening and ominous. I was very tempted to conjure up a lightning bolt to chase him off my lawn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

OUT OF CHARACTER
Does Lola know who Balabar Smenk is? Does she have a clue why he would want to see the party?

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

kabkal wrote:Does Lola know who Balabar Smenk is? Does she have a clue why he would want to see the party?
OUT OF CHARACTER
See this post and several following...

kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

patransom wrote:
kabkal wrote:Does Lola know who Balabar Smenk is? Does she have a clue why he would want to see the party?
OUT OF CHARACTER
See this post and several following...

OUT OF CHARACTER
That's right, thank you.

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Yeah. Actually, Master, do you know anything of rumors concerning Dourstone Mines and cultists and this Balabar Smenk person? Seems the necromancer is hired by him and creating an undead hoard to fight this cult.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

It's possible this Smenk fellow may want to hire us to fight these cultists for him, Cyrius opines thoughtfully, then grimaces as a thought prompts him to add: Or he may think we owe him our service for chasing off Filge. We may have to... persuade him otherwise.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

There's also the possibility Smenk may be a member of this cult and nothing is as it seems.
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Master Penkawr answers Marcus, I've heard no rumors of a cult. Of course, it's a matter of opinion as to what constitutes a cult and what constitutes a legitimate religion. There are well-known religious followings here in Rastingdrung that some might call cults: Sashu, Grismal, Ki... but it does not sound like those are what you might be talking about. I've heard of nothing new or ominous regarding any cult. Of course, I also hadn't heard anything about a necromancer hired by Smenk. I guess you've encountered such a... person?

He continues, As for Dourstone Mine, I've also heard nothing out of the ordinary. The usual gripes and conflicts between miners. Ragnolin Dourstone's an untrustworthy sort, but that's nothing out of the ordinary for a mine owner. He's no better and no worse than Smenk himself, as far as I'm aware.

He sighs, If Balabar Smenk really wants to speak with you, it might be wise to oblige him, as unpleasant a man as he is. He's well-connected and ruthless. As such, he has ways of making life uncomfortable for people who don't do what he wants. I'd certainly be wary, though. He's far from trustworthy. I doubt he's part of any cult; he's too mercenary for that. But I wouldn't be surprised if this is all some complicated scheme to involve outsiders in a power struggle between himself and his rival, Dourstone...
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Yes. That was another thought I pondered. This may be just an elaborate scheme to add a new mine to his already expansive collection.
Image Image
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

In any case, it would seem our next step is to meet with Smenk, Cyrius avers. Did he sugest a time and place, Master Penkawr, or is there somewhere we would be apt to find him?
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Smenk's hench-messsenger just said 'at your convenience,' Penkawr answers, I imagine the easiest place to find him would be at his manor. Even if he's not there, I'm sure some servant of his could tell you when he's due home.
OUT OF CHARACTER
On the map of Rastingdrung found here, Smenk's home is #10, relative to Penkawr's house at #18

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

No better time like the present.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex grumbles his acknowledgement.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

So we're off to visit Balabar Smenk for some jolly fun! Cyrius declares. If there's a weapons shop along the way, I'd like to stop and make a purchase.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

[ooc]Marcus is leveled to 4th.[/ooc]
Image Image
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Before you depart for Smenk's, Master Penkawr makes an offer, I imagine you'll want the properties of this magic headband identified? If you want, I can do that for you. I'll only ask for the demon horns in trade to cover the cost of the materials. I won't charge you for the service. Does that sound like a deal? If so, I'll have the results for you in an hour, maybe after you're done talking with that oily sneak Balabar.

The party makes their way through the muddy streets of Rastingdrung toward Balabar Smenk's manor house. They have nearly arrived at his front door when three human thugs brandishing lead pipes step into the street, blocking their path. What 'choo doin' in this neighborhood? asks the shortest of them, You better get lost from 'round here, less you got business with Boss Smenk.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Venelle's weapon shop is #17 on the map of Rastingdrung found here, so Cyrius can easily stop there on the way to Smenk's. What does he want to buy?

Also, you guys had mentioned an interest in trying to recruit a rogue for the party. If you still want a rogue, this would be a good time to introduce a new PC, so I can advertise for another player, if you want one.

CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

OUT OF CHARACTER
My mistake, I meant the armorer, which is elsewhere (#27, Osgood Smithy), in order to purchase a MW buckler (165 GP); it can wait until we're done here. And I think we need a rogue-type, so my vote is for a new memeber.

As it happens, we do have business with Balabar Smenk, Cyrius responds cordially. Inform him that the folk who dealt with Filge are here.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus accepts Master Penkawr's offer.

Marcus waits patiently as Cyrius makes it clear we have the right to be here. He shows little sign of concern for these thugs, but still keeps an eye out.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I second for the rogue.

Image Image
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

OUT OF CHARACTER
A rogue is a good idea.

tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex simply looks grumpy, and follows Cyrus' lead. He's better at dealing with people anyway.

OUT OF CHARACTER
+1 rogue

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”