Beneath Dourstone Mine

A game that seems to change settings every couple of years; currently following the Age of Worms Adventure Path.

Moderator: patransom

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Beneath Dourstone Mine

Post by patransom »

After the meeting with Balabar Smenk, the party members split up. A few of them purchase supplies. Two days after the meeting, they gather again at the supply shed at one of Smenk's properties just outside of town. From there, they haul two carts laden with crates into town to the Dourstone Mine. The guards there acknowledge Proust and provide admission onto the property and into the mines. The mines are crude passages and tunnels hacked into the ground. Torches are set into the wall every 50 feet, but half of them are burnt out and useless. Ragnolin is too cheap to provide good lighting in this place. Instead, most miners must carry their own torches and lanterns. Proust is a familiar face to the miners working in this area, so they pay no attention the group and their carts.

Forty feet from the main entrance, a rough passage cuts down and to the left from the main tunnel. Timbers and planks nailed to the wooden frame of the passage’s entrance block access to the area beyond. Proust calmly removes the barricade and leads you into the long, descending passage. After a long haul, during which you suspect you must have crossed beneath half of Rastingdrung, the tunnel opens into a recently excavated cave. The east wall of the cave is dominated by a pair of huge, ancient doors, carved from black marble.

This is the place, Proust explains, where he and his laborers have delivered the supply carts in the past. A knock on the double doors will alert the demon-blooded (tiefling) guards in the cathedral beyond the doors. Usually, the tieflings slide open the great doors and take the carts from here. Proust hasn't gotten much of a glimpse of what's beyond the doors, except that it is a great dark chamber with many carvings. Perhaps you want to make a plan before knocking to deliver the carts...
OUT OF CHARACTER
It's very dark here. You will have needed some form of light to get through the mine and the tunnel to this point. Let me know what that is and who's carrying/providing it. Feel free to reposition yourselves and the carts and make any other plans, then let me know what you do.

Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Re: [Active Thread] Beneath Dourstone Mine

Post by CGM3 »

[ooc]Cyrius has his sunrod, which he can carry in his left hand.[/ooc]

[talk]What do you advise, Prost?[/talk] he asks the halfling, watching the doors. [talk]Knock, then charge in when they open and try to overwhelm the opposition? Or do you have something more circumspect in mind?[/talk] As he speaks, he materializes his mindblade in his right hand in its rapier form.
Over on Discord, I go by Gryphon
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Sydney Scoville, Grrl Power
Image - Cyrius of the Sudden Blade, human soulknife
Image - Jephthryam Davian, human tinkerer
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

[talk]Simple and brutal, I like it![/talk] Prost says. [talk]So when your all ready, let me know and I will knock[/talk] Prost drinks two potions ( Darkvision & Antitoxin) and readies his Rapier for a sneak attack.
Image Evan Prost: Halfling Rogue

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” – HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

[talk]Give me a moment to prepare myself[/talk] asks Filge. The necromancer has been providing Light spells as the group has descended and, right now, he has cast the cantrip upon the bolt loaded into his crossbow. Once he has protected himself, the necromancer is ready to proceed.

[talk]Once we get the doors open, I will fire my bolt into the room to illuminate things.[/talk]
OUT OF CHARACTER
Mage Armor - +4 armor bonus, 4 hours
False Life - 7 temporary hit points, 4 hours

[dice]0[/dice]

Image Worrel: Half-elf /Undead Scourge
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex positions himself at 0206, opposite the doors, taking cover from the carts, but able to get a good line when the doors open. He readies his shot.

[talk]A'right, I'm ready.[/talk]
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

[talk]We have no idea how many are positioned on the other side. It very well could be only two as I'm sure they are confident in the threats and fear they have subjugated everyone to. I think a more subtle approach the prudent one. Filge and I can cast light on the carts. They have to bring the carts in before they close the doors. This illumination will confuse them for a moment and allow us to see in.[/talk] Marcus looks to the other to see what they think.
[talk]Of course, an up front assault will take them by surprise, and I know we can work with that too.[/talk]
Marcus will cast Mage Armor and drink an antitoxin. After that he'll cast light on the floor directly before the doors.
Image Marcus Tilsworth - Human Sorcerer
Image Agrous: Human Cleric
Image Ulyuk Bok - Elan Gestalt
Image Tryzscatzmel Ry - Gnome Alchemist
Image Image
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Once the spells are cast, Marcus will then add, [talk]If we do make for an up front attack, Make sure to bring them together and have none of us behind them. I can drop them into a ten by ten pit.[/talk] Marcus wiggles his fingers as he mentions the pit.
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[talk]Either way, they're not going to let us in, so we're going to need to fight our way. Perhaps we should let them get the carts and bring them halfway in, that way they cannot close the doors.[/talk]
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost thinks for a moment. [talk]Ok, so where going to let them move the carts in only to the point that it will not allow them to close the door. Then Filge and Marcus will light up the carts just as they get in the door way. Problem is though, were we all going to hide till they move the carts? They have darkvision and will see us right off.[/talk] Prost then suggests..... [talk]Why don't we listen quietly at the door in the dark after I knock. When the door starts to move open if Filge and Marcus are at the edge of each door with their hands on the doors, when the doors start to swing open they can cast light on both doors; Won't this cause both sides of the doors to light up, blinding and stunning the tieflings coming for the carts and any others close by. Then we can push in and attack.[/talk].........[talk]And since the carts will only be in our way I suggest that we move them as far from the doors as possible.[/talk]

[ooc]Move carts to 0206 and 0205. Prost would step back to 0404 after knocking on door and shield his eyes to allow adjustment to bright light since he has taken potion of darkvision already in caracecter. Marcus & Filge would be in position at 0504 & 0508[/ooc]

JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Filge nods in agreement as he moves into position.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

Cyrius will step to 0408 and stand ready to attack.
"And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, for if you hit a man with a plowshare, he's going to know he's been hit." - The Wisdom of Nodwick
"Nothing says love like two hundred feet of parachute cable and a cargo net." - Fred Jones, Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc.
"I know, the first rule of Robot Fight Club is, you don't talk about Robot Fight Club." - Jack Darby, Transformers Prime
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will cast Shield of Faith on herself and Bless on the party before going in. She will also ready her crossbow and set it on a cart for easy grabbing and have her +1 short sword ready as well.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Shield of Faith (4 min)
Bless (4 min)

Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex maintains his cover and line of sight from the back side of the carts, wherever they might be. And with a nod, he's ready.
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

Marcus nods and positions himself.
Image Image
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost knocks hard on the door and steps back to 0404...........and waits.

patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

After the party positions the carts and casts some spells, Proust knocks hard on the door, steps back, and waits. Perhaps 30 seconds later, the huge black doors rumble and slide apart. In the opening of the doors stands a woman (T1) in a chainmail shirt with a greataxe in hand and bow slung over her back. Over the armor, she wears a tabard with some sort of symbol on it. From the horns on her head, it is clear that she has the taint of demon blood.

Behind her is a cavernous hall that extends east into the darkness. There are many black marble pillars and also a small wooden shack that looks like a recent addition, which appears to shelter a trapdoor in the floor. Only Lola and Cyrius are in position to see the other tiefling woman (T2) loitering near the shack. They can also see a smaller set of double doors on the north wall. These doors are flanked by crimson banners with symbols that appear similar to those on the women's tabards. On the south wall, Prost can see a single, unmarked door.

The tiefling in the doorway (T1) blinks only briefly in the light of Cyrius' sunrod, then notes the carts. With a bored tone, she calls out over her shoulder behind her...
If you speak infernal...Show
She says [talk]Supplies are here[/talk]
She glances around at the party. She does not appear to notice Tex lurking behind the cart with his crossbow leveled at her. She says, in heavily accented Ghinoran, [talk]You can go. We'll take them from here.[/talk] She then notices Cyrius' shimmering psionic weapon and tilts her head at him with a smirk. [talk]Unless you were wanting to have some fun...[/talk]

[ae]Bless (everyone, +1 attack and saves vs fear): 3.5 min left

Cyrius: sunrod ~5 hours left
Prost: antitoxin 59.5 min left, darkvision 179.5 left
Filge: false life (7 temp HP) 59.5 min left, mage armor 239.5 min left
Marcus: mage armor 239.5 min left, antitoxin 59.5 min left
Lola: shield of faith 3.5 min left[/ae]
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Filge looks away from the tiefling woman, trying to act bashful. He's waiting for a sign indicating that it is time to cast his spell.
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[ooc]Okay, are we going to try and BS our way in, or will we be resorting to the Bundy style of "swift and blinding violence". :rant:[/ooc]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[ooc]I thought we'd pretty much settled on blinding violence. I mean there is already a soulblade out, be a shame not to use it.[/ooc]
CGM3
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by CGM3 »

[ooc]
tdsprouse wrote:I thought we'd pretty much settled on blinding violence. I mean there is already a soulblade out, be a shame not to use it.
All righty, then...[/ooc]

Cyrius steps up to 0506 and puts the smackdown on the first tiefling wench.. [talk]Praise Athena![/talk]

[ooc]1d20 + 10 = 16 + 10 = 26 which had darn well better hit or I'll know the reason why, inflicting 1d6 + 3 = 4 + 3 = 7 points of damage.[/ooc]
Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

[talk]We have LIGHT![/talk] Marcus puts his hand to the door he's at and energizes it.
Image Image
JPetherick
Jpetherick
Jpetherick

Post by JPetherick »

Filge casts Light upon the bolt loaded into his crossbow and then moves so that he can fire into the room.

[ooc]Move to 0207[/ooc]
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost seeing that the doors haven't been opened fully, keeping low, with his Rapier drawn, sneaks to 0505 to either excute a sneak attack given the opportunity, or to tumble through the opening if they should attempt to close the door.

Sealth check:
[dice]0[/dice]

Duniagdra
Divine Rank 21
Divine Rank 21

Post by Duniagdra »

[ooc]Seems like no one is sticking to the plan of blinding them with the light spells from Filge and Marcus on the doors and attacking them. :?[/ooc]
Image Image
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

Tex lets his arrow go, targeting T1

Attack W/ PbS and DA [dice=totalonly]0[/dice]
Damage [dice=totalonly]1[/dice]
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

[ooc]Waiting on Lola[/ooc]
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Lola will let her let her cross now fire at T2
[ooc]sorry, don't have sheet right now so can't give roll[/ooc]
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Surprise Round

Cyrius steps up and calls out [talk]Praise Athena![/talk] Athena, it seems is listening, as Cyrius puts the smackdown on the first tiefling wench.

[talk]We have LIGHT![/talk] Marcus yells, as he puts his hand to the door he's at and makes it glow.

Filge casts Light upon the bolt loaded into his crossbow and then moves so that he can fire into the room.

Prost, seeing that the doors haven't been opened fully, keeps low and, with his Rapier drawn, sneaks up to the edge of the door, looking for an opportunity to surprise the enemy.

Tex lets his arrow go, shooting past Cyrius, and sinking it into the first tiefling's neck. The woman croaks as she falls to the floor, dead.

Lola fires her crossbow over Cyrius' head and, with a rather amazing shot, plugs the second tiefling.

Round 1 Begins

[talk]Inanna be praised,[/talk] retorts the remaining tiefling, [talk]We have DARK![/talk] She touches the pillar in front of her and a cloud of inky blackness erupts. None of the party's light sources penetrate the darkness.
For Tex OnlyShow
Tex sees the woman move north (to 0904) after she creates the darkness. After that, his view of her path is blocked by the doorway.
[ae]Bless (everyone, +1 attack and saves vs fear): 3.4 min left
Darkness (black area): ? min left

Round 1 Continues
Evan Prost: antitoxin 59.4 min left, darkvision 179.4 left
Filge: false life (7 temp HP) 59.4 min left, mage armor 239.4 min left
Texudus TreeBender
Marcus Tilsworth: mage armor 239.4 min left, antitoxin 59.4 min left
Lola: shield of faith 3.4 min left
Cyrius of the Sudden Blade: sunrod ~5 hours left
Round 2 Begins
Tiefling: 5 hp damage[/ae]
[ooc]The darkness and/or the doorway prevents most of you from seeing the tiefling's location, so it is not shown on the attached map, but...
If Tex or Prost steps through the door (0606 or beyond), they wi…Show
The tiefling has moved to 1103
[/ooc]
tdsprouse
EARL
EARL

Post by tdsprouse »

[talk]She moved north![/talk] Tex says quickly as he double moves to 0704, getting an arrow ready.

[talk]She's going around this building![/talk]
smeltdm
Divine Rank 12
Divine Rank 12

Post by smeltdm »

Prost moves through the door looking to the north,[talk]The demon is headed to the double doors to the north[/talk] upon seeing the tiefling Prost hustles to 0905 taking what cover there is......

Return to “{PbP} Brave New Worms {Pathfinder 1e}”