Jase and Lorn

Geographically, Perearth is a world with some remarkable similarities to our own. But the similarities end there.
Post Reply
User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Jase and Lorn

Post by patransom » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:20 pm

Since two of you have gotten an early start and arrived at the same place, we'll start our first thread. The rest of you can feel free to read this thread, since it won't really spoil anything, but don't post until we've exchanged pms getting you here.

Lorn stands in front of the huge door, awaiting Bronin's return from his scouting flight. He turns his head to see Jase running towards him.

The rain is still light, but both of you can tell it's going to get worse.
Image

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:36 pm

"Ho, friend! Is this shelter your own?"

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:19 pm

The wizard lowers his staff, the light on its end showering the large man. Eyeing the man quickly he whispers something to the raven in Sylvan, and leaves the staff aimed as he speaks
No, this is not my dwelling, and from your question I gather that it is not yours. State your intentions sir, the weather has me in a foul mood and I am not interested in excuses nor lies.

*edit* changed the format so to fit what Icthius started.
Image

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:29 pm

"Hah! I like a man who gets to the point. I'm trying to get to a place called...let me think...Dubick? There's a mine there, and I'm supposed to work for 'coins' that I can use to barter. Do you know who this structure belongs to? I hope to avoid the storm this night, if I can."
Jase has his hands in his belt and a friendly demeanor, but he's ready to draw his axe at the first sign of trouble.
Hey patransom, you got an AIM name? If not, do you use IRC?

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:42 pm

The man raises his staff slowly, and gives a smile which quickly recedes back into a look of concentration

No, I do not know to whom this structure belongs. I think you mean Duviks Pass. I am headed there as well. My name is Lorn... Lorn... BlackHand. And this is Bronin. If you would be so kind as to attempt the door, for you look far more able at moving this thing than I, I would be most grateful. I will even attempt to start a fire inside if we find some kindling.
Last edited by TheGreenLabrador on Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:42 pm

Neither IRC or AIM. I'd like to keep the action here anyway, so that the others can enjoy reading it :) And maybe get motivated to finish their characters and join in.
Image

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:51 pm

^^^ that's cool.

"Sounds good."

Jase, wasting no time, heads to the door, and launches his body against it. If the door does not give way, he draws his massive axe and launches an assualt against it.

Strength: 16 (+3)
Attack: +5
Damage: 1d12+4

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:11 pm

Jase launches himself forcefully at the door. To his suprise, it offers no resistance. In spite of its size, it is nicely counterweighted and swings inward easily. [Successful balance check] Jase's charge, coupled with the door's lack of resistance, makes him wheel his arms as he checks his momentum, but he avoids stumbling into the space beyond the door.

Standing a bit back, Lorn's light illuminates only a bit of the room beyond the door. It seems large and you can see a bit of a flagstone floor, littered with stone and wood debris.
Image

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:13 pm

Jase casts a quick look over the room and steps inside, desiring to get out of the rain as soon as possible

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:16 pm

Grinning slightly, Lorn says in Sylvan to Bronin, "Go ahead, you see much better than I." and he walks forward slowly, the staff in his good hand and held high to provide as much light as possible.

Did your people teach you to dance as well... what was your name again? I don't believe you gave it to me.
Image

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:23 pm

"My mother called me Jase when she was allowed to talk to me. And the only time we were allowed to dance was when they put hot iron to our feet." Jase said casually as he takes a more detailed look around the room.

Search: +0
Spot: +3
Listen: +3

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:28 pm

Bronin flys into the room, passing right over Jase's head. From his empathic link, Lorn can tell that Bronin sees nothing dangerous and that Bronin is happy to be out of the rain, which is getting heavier.

As he approaches the door, Lorn's light illuminates more and more of the room, although you still can't see the walls. You can see that there's plenty of wooden debris on the floor, certainly enough to build a fire, if you desire.
Image

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:31 pm

Jase shivers and walks to the wood, beginning to set up a basic fire. He checks to make sure the door is still open so the smoke can escape.

Survival: +2 (if necessary)

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:51 pm

Looking around slowly, Lorn takes in the inside of the tower. He sees Jace begin to build the fire from bits and pieces of wood, "Here, use this to light it" Lorn says as he takes some flint and steel from a side-pocket of his backpack. He drops the backpack to the floor and begins to search the surrounding areas.
While investigating, he continues to speak to Lace, "Sounds like you had a rough time. However, you didn't seem very fazed by the light of my staff, so I assume that you are familiar with magic. Where is it that you hail from sir Lace?"
Last edited by TheGreenLabrador on Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:56 pm

Jase immediately notices that the door is starting to slowly swing shut. He moves some debris into its path, propping it open. Then he moves to start up a fire. The wood is very dry and lights easily.

With the firelight added to Lorn's, you can now see the whole room. The stone chamber is quite large. Peeling paint and broken scrollwork suggest that it was once decorated with some care, but now only dust remains. Three massive stone doors—one each to the left and right, and one directly across from the entrance—lead deeper into the tor.

Map below for reference. The fire is at the pile of debris to the right of the door.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:06 am

"Not very familiar," Jase says, looking around, "but I've heard stories. I even saw an orc shaman once. I've spent the majority of my life in the far north, above Tharbria. But enough of this, it's unimportant. I've learned not to sleep in a place where there may be enemies. We should look around and," Jase stops suddenly, seeing Lorn's hand, "SIF! What's wrong with your hand man?"

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:14 am

Lorn rolls his eyes, and looks down at his shrivled, blackened, and grotesquely scarred hand.
"I have also had a hard life sir Lace. Did you not wonder why I call myself Lorn BlackHand? It is a memento that I keep to remind me of what I need to do." He looks up now, at the large man before him, "Perhaps we should inspect these doors further."
Last edited by TheGreenLabrador on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:15 am

Lorn's search turns up nothing of interest, other than more dust and debris. When you get around to checking the other doors, you'll find them securely locked and quite sturdy. Jase's axe is unlikely to damage them.

Going to bed now. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves, nothing much is going to happen until the others arrive.
Image

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:20 am

"Uhn. Doubtful it will budge. I say we take watches while we sleep, to make sure that no one can ambush us. I'll take the first watch."

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:46 am

Lorn moves towards the flames, grabbing a strap of his backpack and lifting it just off the ground. It drops close to the fire, and he takes out a bedroll and launches it out, letting it fall to the floor. He looks at Lace, "Do you mind if I get some things done while I read for a while before going to sleep?" Before Lace has a chance to answer, the spell has already been cast, and piece by piece, the wood in the room begins to move toward the fire and then cast itself into the flames. As the wood begins to move, Lorn smiles and reaches for a book in his pack, conjuring a crude looking wooden page holder from nothingness, and sits on his bedroll and begins to read.

Casted Prestidigitation.
Image

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:15 pm

Jase looks at the display, unmoved. There's no magic that a good, old fashioned axe can't strike. "That'll be fine. You take the first watch then. Wake me in a few hours. Jase crosses his armes and leans back into a corner, letting sleep take him.

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Welcome to Perearth [ENDED]”