Into the spiders' lair

Geographically, Perearth is a world with some remarkable similarities to our own. But the similarities end there.
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Into the spiders' lair

Post by patransom » Wed May 31, 2006 5:08 pm

Jase's intial attempts to struggle free of the webbing are unsuccessful, but with some careful work [taking 10] he manages to extricate himself.

While Tana wipes herself off, Sunny collects ichor and webbing. Caladar squeezes up the corridor to retrieve his data, then draws his rapier to slash at the webbing in the doorway. His rapier does little damage and immediately becomes stuck. It takes him some time to pull it free.

[Taking some slight liberties with your actions just to move things along] Seeing that cutting through the webs could take some time and effort, given how sticky they are, Tana quickly burns them off with her torch.

Sunny, Tana, and Kolan proceed into the room, followed by Caladar. They find that the "mummies" appear to be a number of humanoid forms, cocooned in spider webbing. There also are literally hundreds of cocooned rats and the floor is littered with rat bones.

Kolan kicks at one of the humanoid cocoons and it gives off a sickening crunch, but does not move.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Wed May 31, 2006 5:26 pm

Careful not to get stuck to the "sacked" Sunny checks to see if any of the humanoids have managed to survive. In the absence of living - he checks to see if any of them had anything worth putting into the parties treasury.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Wed May 31, 2006 6:15 pm

Caladar also begins searching ...

Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Icefire » Wed May 31, 2006 8:49 pm

Move into the middle of the room to shine as much light as possible
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:15 pm

The rest of you watch as Sunny and Caladar search amongst the cocoons. Within the cocoons are mummified humanoid corpses in an advanced state of decay. These include a few hobgoblin corpses. These look to have been here a long time. Caladar notes, "These hobgoblins were not recent arrivals like those others we fought."

Any equipment remaining on the corpses is in disrepair and useless. However, you all see Sunny and Caladar each pick something up. What Caladar holds is a bag, and he looks inside it. You can't quite see what Sunny picks up. It is small, fitting in the palm of his hand.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:07 pm

patransom wrote:The rest of you watch as Sunny and Caladar search amongst the cocoons. Within the cocoons are mummified humanoid corpses in an advanced state of decay. These include a few hobgoblin corpses. These look to have been here a long time. Caladar notes, "These hobgoblins were not recent arrivals like those others we fought."

Any equipment remaining on the corpses is in disrepair and useless. However, you all see Sunny and Caladar each pick something up. What Caladar holds is a bag, and he looks inside it. You can't quite see what Sunny picks up. It is small, fitting in the palm of his hand.
I found a pearl. It's got runes on it.

Sunny prays and casts detect magic.

Caladar - hold the bag out too, let's see if there's anything special about it that might explain why these two items survived while everything else is dust.

Beloved - grant me the sight to see what is hidden from mortal eyes.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:16 pm

Caladar brings the bag over to Sunny so he can see what's inside it. "It's full of gold. Is it magic gold?" He smiles. The first time you've seen him do that.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:45 pm

patransom wrote:Caladar brings the bag over to Sunny so he can see what's inside it. "It's full of gold. Is it magic gold?" He smiles. The first time you've seen him do that.
Sunny smiles back. Nope. no magic there. But there is some on this pearly. I don't know what it is yet - untill I have a chance to determine it's effects more clearly I'm going to hold on to it. Tomorrow I should be able to decipher the runes on it - with any luck we'll be able to figure out what it does with that and make sure it goes to the most suitable of us.

Oh - by the way - forgot about this. If anyone sees any odd potion bottles - keep clear. In particular I mean anything that looks like a horse shoe with a stopper on either "end". Don't ask for more than that - it's about all I remember.

Jayel
BARON
BARON

Post by Jayel » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:32 pm

Turning to Sunny, "Do you remember when you viewed this horseshoe shaped stoppered bottle? Was it when you examined the writting on the altar or when you were unconscience?"
Image Kolan Torndar, Human Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:29 pm

Jayel wrote:Turning to Sunny, "Do you remember when you viewed this horseshoe shaped stoppered bottle? Was it when you examined the writting on the altar or when you were unconscience?"
Yes. I think it was a fleeting vision from Beloved when I was dying and just before whichever one of you kept me here. Apparently, this rings a bell? Care to share what you know?

TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:58 am

"The horseshoe-shaped is the holy symbol of Ugtargnt, the God of Health and Disease. Ugtargnt has few followers here in Caithness, but is worshipped extensively in the Viridian Empire. I don't know why you saw his symbol here, since I did not happen across the location, I can't tell you what it might mean in more detail."

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:34 pm

Tailor wrote:"The horseshoe-shaped is the holy symbol of Ugtargnt, the God of Health and Disease. Ugtargnt has few followers here in Caithness, but is worshipped extensively in the Viridian Empire. I don't know why you saw his symbol here, since I did not happen across the location, I can't tell you what it might mean in more detail."
Interesting... What I saw was seemed like a potion in that type of bottle - it was green and I think - not good. Beyond that, I really can't say anything for certain.

TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:56 am

Nodding, Lorn continues, remembering more as Sunny Describes the symbol again, "The green two stoppered potion bottle is the holy symbol that followers of Ugtargnt wear. The followers call themselves the Seekers of Health. However, Ugtargnt is a fickle god and while not necessarily evil, his followers are a bit mercenary. Unlike the priests of Illmatar, who always provide healing to those in need, the Seekers of Health require expensive donations in return for their services."
Shrugging, Lorn adds a last sentence, "Other than that, I don't actually recall much more. If we find anything else, I will be sure to let you know."
He turns to Bronin and scratches his neck.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:05 am

Caladar says, "Priests, nothing but trouble, no matter who they serve. Unless, of course, it's Lady Luck." He smiles faintly at Sunny.

"In fact, I'll take my share from this bag to donate at the next shrine we see to Bes," he extracts a few coins from the bag, "but it's a bit heavy for me, so if someone else wants to haul the rest ..." He holds the bag out in the direction of Jase.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:20 pm

patransom wrote:Caladar says, "Priests, nothing but trouble, no matter who they serve. Unless, of course, it's Lady Luck." He smiles faintly at Sunny.

"In fact, I'll take my share from this bag to donate at the next shrine we see to Bes," he extracts a few coins from the bag, "but it's a bit heavy for me, so if someone else wants to haul the rest ..." He holds the bag out in the direction of Jase.
Thank you for that. Though, to be true - my beloved is much like any lady. Be true and be careful, for she's like as not to turn coy at an offering as greatful. It's not enough that you do the dishes. You have to WANT to do the dishes.

sigh.

And she does so love to surprise....

Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Icefire » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:56 pm

Sunbolt wrote: Thank you for that. Though, to be true - my beloved is much like any lady. Be true and be careful, for she's like as not to turn coy at an offering as greatful. It's not enough that you do the dishes. You have to WANT to do the dishes.

sigh.

Arches a brow and chuckles.
Tis not just ladies, but deities in general Sunny...

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:49 am

So has anyone checked the walls for secret doors? Or are we to head back the way we came?

(While the last of the detect magic is still on him - Sunny scans the walls and ceiling - not expecting to find anything.... Then he'll do a sweep of the area looking for anything else odd or secret with the others.)

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:56 pm

Sunbolt wrote: Thank you for that. Though, to be true - my beloved is much like any lady. Be true and be careful, for she's like as not to turn coy at an offering as greatful. It's not enough that you do the dishes. You have to WANT to do the dishes.

sigh.

Caladar nods, "in my line of work, I've learned a bit about the surprises Bes can spring. That's why I WANT to keep her happy."

"Oh, and I checked the walls while I was searching amongst the corpses. I didn't find anything."

Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Icefire » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:05 pm

"If nothing else was found shall we head back to the front room and check one of the other halls?"

Jayel
BARON
BARON

Post by Jayel » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:46 pm

"I'm ready to search further when all have finished what they need to do here."
Image Kolan Torndar, Human Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert.

Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Icefire » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:48 pm

Moves towards the hallway if everyone is finished.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:29 pm

Icefire wrote:Moves towards the hallway if everyone is finished.
Just a quick moment.

Sunny offers a final prayor over the dead - in particular the dead who gave us the pearl and the bag of coins.

Beloved, see these unlucky souls to their final rest....

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:23 pm

:wink:

Return to “{PbP} Welcome to Perearth [ENDED]”