East it is, then

Geographically, Perearth is a world with some remarkable similarities to our own. But the similarities end there.
User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5881
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

East it is, then

Post by patransom » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:54 pm

Moving a short way down the passage, you discover that it opens into another room. The room is empty, except for the statue against the far wall. Looking a little more closely, you suspect the statue may, in fact, be a sarcophagus, standing upright.

In the dim light, you can barely make out the lines of a figure carved on the statue/sarcogphagus. You can't quite tell, but it appears the head of the carving is a bit distorted, with tendrils or tentacles where the hair should be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:03 pm

Well a mostly empty room...

Moves forward to shine the light into the room.

Move to P13
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:12 pm

"Well, 'least there ain't no bodies." Jase says, moving to get a closer look.

Moving to u14

User avatar
Jayel
BARON
BARON
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:08 pm
Location: USA LI,NY
Contact:

Post by Jayel » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:00 pm

Making sure Jase doesn't get ambushed, move to R13.
Image Kolan Torndar, Human Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert.
Image

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:23 am

"No, I think you might be mistaken, I have a hunch a body resides within that."
Image

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:38 pm

Tailor wrote:"No, I think you might be mistaken, I have a hunch a body resides within that."
Great - a mummified illithid - that would be just my luck... sigh.

Sunny moves forward carefully looking for traps and without touching it - examines the markings on the sarcophagus.

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:52 pm

Looking over at Sunny with a questioning expression, "What is an illithid?"
Image

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:37 pm

Tailor wrote:Looking over at Sunny with a questioning expression, "What is an illithid?"
Their popular name is mind-flayer. IF that image is what I think it is - it's a kind of deep dwelling creature that has tentacles around its mouth and a long tounge used to go up into your head and suck out your brain. They also possess a mental magic that can stop you dead in your tracks - making you vulnerable to such things. I portrayed one in a play once. Well half of one - I had to stand on the shoulders of another kid. They hacked us to bits, it was a ton of fun - but after the performance the monster tales were something that still scares me.... I was about ten. It was my first taste of the stage - and boy was I hooked!

Still, if even half of the stories are true - we don't want to mess with them - and we certainly don't want to mess with an undead one! That one zombie almost killed me! I really don't want a mumified mindflayer sucking my brain.

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5881
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:11 pm

The party moves forward, intent on a closer look at the sarcophagus. Jase and Kolan cross the threshold of the room just as Sunny and Lorn finish their discussion of illithids.

At that moment, batlike wings extend from the temples of the distorted face on the sarcophagus and the head flies forward in your direction! As it does so, it lets forth a frightening, unearthly scream [but every one of you made your save].

The flying head creature is a the spot marked "X" on the map.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:54 am

patransom wrote:The party moves forward, intent on a closer look at the sarcophagus. Jase and Kolan cross the threshold of the room just as Sunny and Lorn finish their discussion of illithids.

At that moment, batlike wings extend from the temples of the distorted face on the sarcophagus and the head flies forward in your direction! As it does so, it lets forth a frightening, unearthly scream [but every one of you made your save].

The flying head creature is a the spot marked "X" on the map.
Sunny moves in behind the others, heading towards the sarcophagus, taking a swing at that flying beastie if it gets anywhere close.

How tall is this cieling?
Placement: Depending on where Jase moves (I obviously have to wait for him to move before I do - or I'm trapped in the hall) I'll either be right behind him, or I'll make my way to s14 - I'm going to assume that the flying head moves this round and won't be right next to me when I get there.... If it stays put - I smash it with a morning star!

User avatar
Jayel
BARON
BARON
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:08 pm
Location: USA LI,NY
Contact:

Post by Jayel » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:50 pm

Move to P13. Ready self to punch head (single attack).

Attack:+2
Damage:1d6+2
Image Kolan Torndar, Human Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert.
Image

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Step to N14. Attack with the sling she had readied.

Attack: +3
Damage: 1d4+3
Crit: 20/x2
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:38 pm

I'm in Arkansas unexpectedly, and I may not have access to the internet before sat, so if you could look up my stats and roleplay me to the best of your ability? Thanks.

"Whatever that thing is, it's not going to be alive for much longer!" Jase's voice takes on an unusual edge as he lifts his axe. Any who look see his eyes dialated and blood-shot, and the veins in his forehead throbbing as he runs full speed and charges the creature.

Charge to I13. If you could load my sheet and adjust for rage, I don't have it out here. Thanks.

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:22 pm

Lorn drops the staff and picks up his crossbow, and begins to load a bolt.
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5881
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:04 pm

Kolan moves cautiously forward and stands ready should the creature approach.

Tana takes a step forward as she lanches her ready sling bullet at the creature. The bullet sails wide and bounces off the sarcophagus behind the creature.

Caladar also moves carefully and slowly into the room, rapier in hand.

With a roar even louder than usual, Jase shouts, "Whatever that thing is, it's not going to be alive for much longer!" He charges headlong at the creature. His axe cuts clean through the head and the two halves fall separately on the ground, glistening with viscous goo.

Sunny moves in behind Jase, approaching the sarcophagus, as Lorn struggles to load his crossbow with his one good hand.

[Well, that was easy, once you all resisted the scream. By the way, since Sunny asked, the ceiling is about 25 feet high and you can see clearly that there's nothing interesting up there.]

Those of you who are close to the sarcophagus and not busy angrily hacking the now dead creature into itty bits can see that the lid is crudely carved into a humaniod shape. Where the face used to be is a rugged hole, obviously carved out into a nest by this creature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5881
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:20 pm

While Jase is busy hacking at the creature, and the rest of you are standing around, Caladar walks over to the sarcophagus and examines it closely. After a time, he grabs the front and swings the lid open.

Inside, there appears to be nothing but dust, but Caladar, spotting something, bends down and grabs a small object from out of the dust. When he stands up, he is holding a tarnished gold ring in his palm.

He looks closely at it for a while, then turns to Sunny. "This is interesting. Think it's magical?"
Image

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:41 pm

Notices the ring, and walks over, saying as he moves, "Does it have any inscriptions written on it perhaps?"
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5881
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:56 pm

"Yes, that's why I asked" Caladar shows the ring to Lorn. There are runes inscribed around the outside of the band.
Image

User avatar
Jayel
BARON
BARON
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:08 pm
Location: USA LI,NY
Contact:

Post by Jayel » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:12 pm

"Considering what happened the last time we tried to read magical runes, maybe we should wait on reading these."
Image Kolan Torndar, Human Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert.
Image

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:57 pm

Ignoring Kolan, Lorn picks up the ring, Bronin squawks in anticipation, "Well, good thing there wasn't any problem reading these, because I read them as soon as I looked at them. Its Draconic, basically my second language. It says to 'choose wisely when wearing the ring, because the choices will endure'. Take from it what you will, until we detect the magic within, I don't know exactly what it will do."
Image

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:45 pm

"Then perhaps we should put it in a pouch until someone can detect magic on it. Or there any other doors out of this room?"

She starts to walk around the room searching for possible doors.

Search: +1
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:11 pm

Icefire wrote:"Then perhaps we should put it in a pouch until someone can detect magic on it. Or there any other doors out of this room?"

She starts to walk around the room searching for possible doors.

Search: +1

I can look at the ring first thing tomorrow and let you know about the magic... for now, I'm wishing there was a way to help Jase kill that thing before it does something unexpected.

Sunny checks the sarcarphacus for anything else of interest - inscriptions, runes etc. Any hint about where it came from or why it's here. In between he keeps an eye on Jase, making sure that he's not injured while he fights the thing.
If he's offered the ring - he'll inspect it for appraisal purposes...

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5881
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:14 pm

Caladar let Lorn hang on to the ring and quietly goes about helping Tana to search the room. Neither of them find anything.

Examining the sarcophagus turns up nothing else interesting. There are no runes, writing, or symbols on it other than the carved humanoid figure. And with the face gone, you can't tell who or what it used to depict. It looks old, however, like the altar and slab in the room where you fought the zombie. Possibly the same workmanship, or work-goblin-ship, as the case may be.

Jase's rage is finally spent, as he has hacked the remains of the creature into pulp.
Image

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:12 am

"So I'm not finding anything else here. Shall we go check the hallway opposite this one now?"
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:14 pm

Icefire wrote:"So I'm not finding anything else here. Shall we go check the hallway opposite this one now?"
Agreed. If Jase is up to it. You need a breather, Big guy?

Sunny checks out the remains of the "face" and offers a quiet prayer for whatever soul it had. Then turns to Jase:

Good work.

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:53 pm

"Probably... here sunny, you are probably better than I at appraisal."
Image

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:26 pm

Tailor wrote:"Probably... here sunny, you are probably better than I at appraisal."
Sunny takes the ring and figures out the value - is it masterwork ?? (capable of holding an enchantment because it's high enough workmanship)...

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:42 am

At a glance... I'd say the ring is worth a bit more than 150 gold fair market value - doesn't seem to be of a high enough craftsmanship to hold any kind of enchantment - but that's not always accurate. Some magics make an item seem like less than it is - wizards can be crafty when they want to be.

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5881
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:46 am

Caladar says, "I disagree with you Sunny. I took a close look at it when I picked it up, and I think it's certainly high enough quality to hold magic. Whether it's magic or not, I think you've underestimated its value. I'd say closer to 200 gp."

"How about we make a wager? We can get it appraised by a jeweler when we get to Duvik's Pass. Whoever's closest to the value keeps the ring."
Image

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:00 pm

patransom wrote:Caladar says, "I disagree with you Sunny. I took a close look at it when I picked it up, and I think it's certainly high enough quality to hold magic. Whether it's magic or not, I think you've underestimated its value. I'd say closer to 200 gp."

"How about we make a wager? We can get it appraised by a jeweler when we get to Duvik's Pass. Whoever's closest to the value keeps the ring."
Well, the ring doesn't belong to me to wager - belongs to the whole group. Honestly - if we can get more than 160 for it without a good bluff, I'd say we're doing very well. Anything over 175 would be very nice indeed.

Of course, I have been known to be wrong on occassion. Still, I'll look at it tomorrow and check for magic anyway - just in case.

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Welcome to Perearth [ENDED]”