The Mine Camp

Geographically, Perearth is a world with some remarkable similarities to our own. But the similarities end there.
Post Reply
User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5849
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

The Mine Camp

Post by patransom » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:03 pm

You dine on a decent hot meal prepared by the Innkeeper, with Kolan's assistance. After Wundle retires, your discussion continues for a while, then you each retreat to private rooms provided you on the Crossroads' third floor. Your rest is comfortable, but there are no baths available, given the current water shortage. (Sorry Tana)

In the morning, Wundle prepares a breakfast, while Kolan packs up a lunch of bread and dried meat for each of you. Wundle provides you simple directions to the mine camp, which is only about a 5 minute walk up the north wagon road.

Arriving at the mine camp, you find it a collection of hastily-constructed buildings. The largest are stone, obviously used to store and process ore. The smaller buildings behind these are wooden shacks, possibly residences for the miners. There is no activity in the camp at the moment, no one about.

Wundle had told you to seek a medium-sized stone building, the supervisor's offices. Finding this building and entering, you are greeted by Stefan, the mine owner from yesterday, and a dwarf.

"Finally, you have arrived!" says Stefan, "You must clear out the goblins soon. Every day we don't operate is money lost. Glar, explain the situation to them, so they can get to work!"

Glar, the dwarf, begins speaking, "'Bout three days ago, we finally got a shift o' twenny well enough to get back to the diggings. I brung 'em inta the mine, but we barely even got started to work when the goblins hit us. Sneaky buggers, jumpin' out 'o the cracks and shadows at the men. Only two of us made it back out alive, me an' one other. He's quit now an' won' come outta 'is shack." The dwarf shakes his head.

"The mine entrance's 'bout 20 minute walk north 'o here, stayin' on the wagon track. We'da had the camp put up closer, but this is the only flat ground 'tween the mine and town."

"The boss said ye'd be wantin' a map, so here's me survey." He unrolls a parchment on the supervisor's desk (see below). "Shows the main diggings and support areas. We ain't got 'round to doin' a full survey of the newest bits down east, but I gots some notes on there 'bout their extent. There's water down in the deepest new part, prolly what them priests wancha to check out. The goblins come at us outta the main diggings, not sure if they come from the new part or the cracks north that we ain't expanded yet."

The dwarf looks around at all of you, as if waiting for questions.

[Sunny, Lorn, and Jericho, please pm me your spells prepared for today.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:29 pm

Jericho asks with a worried look on his face, "Do you believe these goblins moved in during the sickness or have you had run ins with their kind before while you were digging? and approximately how many did you come across?"

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5849
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:38 pm

"We've spied goblins and their bigger kin in the caves 'round this area before, but never in the mine proper. I 'spect they moved in durin' the sickness. I dunno exactly how many ... I'd say lots, since they took down nearly twenny stout miners."
Image

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:50 am

"Awright. Talkin's probably not gonna do much good at this point. I'll let my axe say all that needs to be said. The rest of you ready?" Jase asks, looking around."

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:13 pm

Nods to Jase. "Are there torches at the mine? If not I think we will need some."
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5849
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:45 pm

The dwarf answers, "Aye, we keep torches burnin' in the mine sos the human-type miners can see. But I dunno if the goblins'd be tendin' 'em." He looks at Stefan, "Can I give 'em some torches sos they can see to fight, boss?"

Stefan sighs, "Fine, just hurry up. I want this goblin problem solved now!"

The dwarf exits and returns minutes later with an armload of torches, "From the supply shed, gotcha as many as I could carry. Take as many as ya want, then I guess the boss wants ya on yer way." He drops his armload of 10 torches on the desk for you to choose from.
Image

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:37 pm

Grabs three torches keeping one out and putting the rest in her back pack for now. "The rest of you grab some, we can leave them in the holders as we go if need be to see. Then we should head up to the mine."
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

User avatar
Jayel
BARON
BARON
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:08 pm
Location: USA LI,NY
Contact:

Post by Jayel » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:44 pm

Kolan grabs three torches as well.
Image Kolan Torndar, Human Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert.
Image

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:28 am

"I have a couple of torches with me, and if the torchlight wears out, I think Ugtargnt will allow me to supply some light."

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:11 pm

Sunny will also stock up on torches, slipping four into his pack.

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:05 pm

Jase heads into the mine, axe at the ready, but in a relaxed position against his shoulder.

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:00 pm

Letting the others gather the torches, Lorn looks to Bronin, and whispers in Sylvan, "Watch this area and await my return, I would rather not risk you inside this dank place." Taking out a piece of cracker from a pocket he feeds Bronin then watches as the bird alights to a nearby tree.

Looking to the party, Lorn says, "I am also ready now. I would prefer not having a torch if no one minds."
Image

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:15 am

"Perhaps we should follow your brash friend before he ends up under a pile of goblins. From the looks of him, they will probably all be dead, but I rather dislike digging someone out from underneath that."

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:16 pm

klakxor wrote:"Perhaps we should follow your brash friend before he ends up under a pile of goblins. From the looks of him, they will probably all be dead, but I rather dislike digging someone out from underneath that."
I know what you mean.... If I had a silver...

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Welcome to Perearth [ENDED]”