Rewards and Recognitions

Geographically, Perearth is a world with some remarkable similarities to our own. But the similarities end there.
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Rewards and Recognitions

Post by patransom » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:08 pm

As you settle in, a bit weakly, at the Crossroads Inn, Tana and Kolan return to report on their meeting with the mayor.

Jericho and Sunny, assisted by a man Sunny and Jericho seem to know (it's Jon of the acting troupe), set about tending wounds and disease with the ample healing supplies Jericho has stocked at the inn.

By the next day, it seems almost everyone is on the road to recovery, although still wounded and weak. Then Tana starts showing symptoms of the plague. With careful treatment, however, Sunny and Jericho are able to stop the course of the disease rather quickly.

By the second full day, everyone except Tana and Jase is fully recoveryed. Caladar even slips out to negotiate with Stephan the mine owner. He returns with a large sack of silver, which he distributes to everyone [1,000 sp each]. He smiles as he explains, "Stephan didn't want to give me the full amount ... something about a weasel still in the larder. But when I explained to him that we were hired to clear out goblins, not weasels, he had no choice. I think the miners will be getting back to work soon."

By the third day of rest, with close attendance from the healers, even Tana and Jase are fully recovered, the picture of health.

It is not long after you have all recovered that the mayor arrives, accompanied by the full complement of the town's priesthood and his daughter, Yasmin. He greets each of you with a big smile, "It seems you have indeed saved us from our troubles. The druids report that the water runs clear again, and the townsfolk, those who lived through this, are no longer relapsing. Duvik's Pass is in your debt."

"I would reward you for your success, if our coffers were not laid bare from this crisis. It is my desire, however, that you receive the recognition you deserve, so I've prepared a letter for each of you under my seal. Bring your letters to my Lord Peredur at Durham and I am certain he will see that you are amply rewarded."

To Kolan and Tana, he adds, "I know you monks had some boon to request of me and I would see that done, too. If I remembered what exactly it was …"

"Now, there is the matter of this note you recovered from the body of Jax. Julian the scribe has translated it for me. It is in High Viridian and does suggest some sort of plot from those parts. However, an attack here makes no sense at all. Duvik's Pass is of little strategic importance. And to come here, the legions of the Emperor would have to cross the Zaraks through pass at Tacitus first. We would have ample warning. I would dismiss the whole matter as the ravings of the madman Jax, himself, if were not completely irresponsible for me to do so."

"Therefore, I have asked my daughter, Yasmin, to bring the note to Lord Peredur himself. He will know better than I what to make of this."

"If you chose to seek rewards from Lord Peredur, you can travel to Durham with her. She can further vouch for your actions here."

In a lower voice, as if trying to keep this last bit from Yasmin, he adds, "In fact, I would appreciate it if at least some of you would travel with her. If there is, indeed, a plot afoot, I would be comforted to know some worthies are on the road to Durham with her."

[Since recovering, you have all had ample time in town to take care of anthing you wanted to and commerce seems to be returning to full swing, so just let me know about purchases or other things you want to do and we'll take care of it outside regular validation]

[And, by way of introduction, Yasmin is now a PC ...]

Bazzatard
Knight
Knight

Post by Bazzatard » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:57 pm

Provided no one else objects, Lorn will use the pearls we found earlier to identify any magical items we have acquired. (I'm also assuming that I've recalled Bronin from the forest)
PerEarth: Lorn Blackhand, Wizard

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:39 pm

"Since Jax is no longer here to help mentor in the customs of your country, perhaps travelling will be just as good. If you do not mind the company."

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:05 pm

Yasmin steps forward after her father finishes and addresses the party. "I first must apologize for my gruff attitude towards you all when we first met. You have proven yourselves as true friends to Duvik's Pass and we are in your debt. I would be honored to travel with you all to Durham and will do my best to help you obtain your reward from Lord Peredur."

Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

Jayel
BARON
BARON

Post by Jayel » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:51 pm

Kolan turns to the Lord Mayor, "Our mission here was to establish a shrine to St. Cuthbert here in Duvik's Pass to help ensure justice. As for the travel to Durham", addressing Yasmin, " I too would consider it an honor to have your company on the trip."
Image Kolan Torndar, Human Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:45 pm

Sunny flips a coin, looks at it and then says:

"Well, I came to join up with Jon and the troupe. But I can't exactly let you all go off adventuring without me. Who would tell the tale? And, for that matter, save Jase's Life? And who knows... maybe I'll even make it through the next battle without passing out?"

Sunny confers with Jon to find out where he'll be going next and so on, so he can catch up eventually.

Then he fills his healing bag and resupplies. He also asks the Mayor for a high quality dagger or two, just in case he needs a slashing weapon... Either he has one to give, or else he knows who would sell one of good quality.

And in case I forgot to mention it, I return the dagger I was given.

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Icthius » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:27 pm

"Well, if I need to go to this lord to get my wealth, to this lord I shall go. When do we leave?"

Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Icefire » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:33 am

"Kolan and I were instructed not to return until we had received agreement from you," she inclines her head to the mayor, "About building the shrine in your town. Can we return to the monastery with an affirmative? As our monastery is near to Durham." Tana continues from Kolan's statement.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:44 pm

"Ah, yes, the shrine!" says the mayor, "For the service his followers have provided the town, St. Cuthburt surely deserves to be honored here. I will see to it that the appropriate tithes are collected and we will begin construction at once. You can report to your superiors that the shrine will be complete within the month."

"I have asked Yasmin to be ready to leave in the morning, so if it is convenient for you, I hope you can accompany her then."

Jon responds to Sunny: "Once enough of the folk here are up and about, we'll go ahead with our planned performance here. I think they could use some cheering up after all this, so maybe a comedy. After that, our next stop is Durham anyway! So we'll see you there in a week or so!"

The mayor can't answer Sunny's question about daggers, but the innkeeper volunteers that the town's weaponsmith is back in business and would certainly have daggers for sale.

As the mayor and the priests depart, Sunny hands Caladar back his dagger. Caladar accepts it, but says, "I won't be going to Durham with you. Duvik's Pass was my destination all along, and, much as I'd like to see what rewards the Lord there has to offer, Durham isn't a place for me right now. I've got plenty of coin from the mine owner to tide me over for a while. Maybe at some point I'll bring Lord Peredur this letter, but for now I'll hang on to it for a rainy day."

So, if you have supplies to buy or other things to take care of before departure, post in this thread or PM me.

If you have items you want Lorn to identify, present them to him here. Someone (Jase or Sunny, I forget) has two pearls to use as material components. Additional pearls can be purchased in town if you need more.

I'll post a departure thread at some point in the next day.

Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Icefire » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:28 am

Tana smiles at the Mayor as she responds, "Thank you Mayor, I will inform our superiors who I think will be most gratified at the promptness. Thank you."

The only supplies I would want are some rations for the trip. And a hooded lantern and 3 flasks of oil.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:28 am

Sunny hands the pearls over - and points out the "extra" one to Lorn with the writing on it - the one that is magical. He then casts detect magic to look over the "loot" one more time, and asks Lorn to ID anything taken from the mine. Finally, he casts read magic to identify the scroll. I imagine since it was in the hands of a priest that it'll be a divine scroll....

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:29 am

When all of that is done - if there's time, Sunny goes a shopping for a dagger and to restock his basic supplies....

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:00 am

Jericho will only need rations and a healing kit.

Jayel
BARON
BARON

Post by Jayel » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:40 am

Kolan will shop for traveling spices. Spices that will stay fresh for the travel to Durham, dried herbs and the such.
Image Kolan Torndar, Human Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:06 pm

Sunny casts read magic and detect magic and hands over to Lorn the items the party's found that show up as magical.

The scroll is a divine scroll containing two spells: Lesser Restoration and Dispel Magic.

There were also the potions, which I believe Sunny identified already and is holding (let me know if you don't have them, Sunny).

Lorn identifies the following items:
+1 Heavy Mace: pretty much a standard item

Pearl of Power (0-level): standard item, except for the part that it holds a 0-level arcane spell, instead of the higher level versions found in the DMG

Translator's Ring: when donning this ring, the wearer chooses one language and can then understand, speak, read, and write that language whenever wearing the ring. Once the choice is made, the ring works only for that language for 10 years. Thus the draconic writing on the ring that said something about "choose wisely." This ring has no language currently stored, so the choice will be open to whoever puts it on, when they put it on.

This consumes both pearls the party found, and will require purchasing another one, which you guys can do, once you've decided how to dispose of all the mundane items you found.

These are:
Chainmail
Heavy Steel Shield
Light Crossbow
10 bolts
Silver Holy Symbol of Ugtargnt
Silver Statue of Ugtargnt
An Alchemist's Laboratory

Sunny and Jericho can each make up a full healer's kit from the supplies Father Samual has provided at the Inn, and the mayor is providing rations for this trip.

Kolan can buy some dried herbs for a few copper here in town, but there are no exotic spices available, given that there's been no merchant traffic for weeks.

Tana can buy a hooded lantern and oil for standard prices (I'll add/subtract on your sheet).

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:55 pm

Don't forget my dagger.. the best they've got, I think I can handle the cost at the moment....

Unless anyone has a preference, I go back to holding the mace and other items I gave Lorn until someone says they want it. How heavy is the alchemists lab? I might want to keep that as well if it'll help with my apothecary skills.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:54 pm

Yes, of course, a standard dagger for Sunny, at a standard price (Duvik's Pass' weaponsmith is not a master, sorry).

An alchemist's lab weighs 40 lbs. I doubt even Jase feels like carrying it around ...

Bazzatard
Knight
Knight

Post by Bazzatard » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:53 am

Is there any chance of changing some money into gold. I seem to be rather weighed down by silver pieces? And I think Lorn will want to keep that nice magical pearl anyway.
PerEarth: Lorn Blackhand, Wizard

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:54 pm

Ah, I forgot to answer this last post! In Duvik's Pass, almost all the currency is silver, but once you arrive in Durham, there will be ample opportunity to exchange coinage. Just remember to ask, after you're done talking to Lord Peredur.

Return to “{PbP} Welcome to Perearth [ENDED]”