The rescue mission

Geographically, Perearth is a world with some remarkable similarities to our own. But the similarities end there.
Post Reply
User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5834
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

The rescue mission

Post by patransom » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:40 pm

[Because a new player will be joining starting with this validation, I’m awarding XP to the original 7 of you right now: 498 xp each!]

Lord Peredur stands beside Kolan, keeping a watchful eye on the main gate, which remains closed. To the group he says, “Your assistance this night has earned our thanks. Stay ready, should more of the foul creatures come forth.”

Sister Lenore moves about the courtyard, finding one guard still alive and pouring a potion down his throat. The man stands up and Lenore begins tending to the wounds of yet another guard.

Sunny and Jericho descend the stairs to find the aftermath of the battle.

After only a few minutes, Owen, the guard who stood with you against the orcs, returns followed by a dozen others, some of them wounded, and all looking quite angry. He begins making a report, “Milord, many more have been slain within the keep! It appears the attack here in the courtyard was a diversion! More orcs entered the towers and the opposite side of the keep using siege ladders. It seems they grabbed several of the serving women and fled into the night. We must go after them!”

Lord Peredur, with a look of dismay, replies, “Nay, Owen, with our Knights away and so many slain, we have not the forces for a rescue mission. This may be only an attempt to weaken us further. It is our assessment that this attack may signify the start of the Second Orc War. We cannot leave the keep and Durham town unprotected. This is how they came years ago. They lured the best and bravest away with diversions such as this, then set upon the towns with the bulk of their forces!”

“You four,” he points to several guards, “awaken the town! Let those who would seek shelter come within. Alert the militia to join us here and strengthen our forces. And bring us the best woodsman or tracker you can find. We will send at least one to know the location of our lost subjects, although I fear they may already be dead.”

To two others, he says, “Take horses and ride at once to Carrick. The king must know of this and alert the other lords. Tell our knights to abandon the jousts and rejoin us here. The other Baronies may have grown fat and complacent, but Durham will be defended, should war come!”

As time passes, more groggy and wounded guards emerge from the keep and Peredur sends them to man the keep walls. Yinta the gnome comes out to assist Lenore with treating the wounded in the courtyard. Peredur, aided by Owen and Yinta, continues to issue commands, creating order out of the chaos. In general, everyone seems to be ignoring the group of you. [It’s possible that some of you would volunteer to help with the wounded or keeping watch or whatever. If so, that’s fine, but in general no important assignments are directed to you.]

A few frightened servants poke their heads out of the keep, but Peredur orders them to remain within the keep. A young halfling woman, however, does not comply. Instead, she drops to her knees in tears in front of Lord Peredur. “Bronwyn … milord … the creatures took her out the window! I hid in the bathtub … there was nothing I could do.”

All the blood disappears from Peredur’s face and he suddenly looks very old. It is at this moment that two of the guards return from town, followed by several militiamen and others from town. One of the returning guards reports, “Milord, the orcs have taken women from town, as well! Word has it they fled west and south with their captives.” He then singles out one of the men following him, “This is Bram Drauthe, a hunter from the town. He believes he can follow their trail, if you command it.”

Peredur seems to shake off his state of shock, “Drauthe … your father was known to us. A good man. It was our intent to send one man to find the orc camp and report back. But with Bronwyn taken, we must at least hold out faint hope of a rescue. And one man is not enough.” The Lord looks around as if counting his troops, “Any we send with you must not be wearing our colors, for that may signal our weakness to a larger orc force …”

Now Sister Lenore interjects, “Your hunter may take my novices, Kolan and Tana, with him. They are well trained, as you have witnessed tonight, and no orc would assume they are part of your defenses. And perhaps their friends might assist, as well?”
Image

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:02 pm

"Well," the young barbarian speaks up, "I'm still a might winded, but far be it from me to deny an opportunity to save a fair maiden," he says. "When do we leave?"

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:26 pm

Jericho, who would have taken to seeing to wounded as they came into the keep, overhears the discussion.

"I will help as well. Pray be it that we can make it in time to save those who have been taken."

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Post by tdsprouse » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:26 pm

"Bronwyn was taken?? My Lord, I know this area like my own hand, my will is yours. I will find her!"

Bram appears as a well worn woodsman, 5'10" medium build, Brown hair/eyes, wearing Studded Leather. He isnt much to look at, even in this light you can see a couple scars on his face. He has a finely crafted handaxe in his belt, and a short bow/quiver on his back. He's carrying a small pack in his left hand, and looks to be ready to go.



OUT OF CHARACTER
hi everyone, my name's Travis. And this is my first PbP game, so if i make any misteps, please PM me and let me know. having read the story to this point I'm looking forward to the road ahead[\ooc]

 


User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:35 pm

Yasmin steps forward, bows her head slightly and says, "My Lord. I am willing to join the rescue party but I ask that you send a dispatch rider to my father so he can prepare the Pass in case of further orc attacks. I do not wish my home to suffer because I am off on this quest." She then steps back into line and awaits Lord Peredur's answer.

{OOC Welcome Travis!}
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:13 pm

At Sister Lenore's words, Tana nods. "It will be take a moment to pack for the travel and I will be ready to go."
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

User avatar
Jayel
BARON
BARON
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:08 pm
Location: USA LI,NY
Contact:

Post by Jayel » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:09 pm

Kolan turns to Lord Peredur, "My Lord, you can count on the skill of our party to return Bronwyn to you and the lives of the other females to their loved ones."
Image Kolan Torndar, Human Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert.
Image

User avatar
Bazzatard
Knight
Knight
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Post by Bazzatard » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:43 pm

Lorn leans heavily on his staff. "I will glady join the rescue, but I will need my wounds tending to first."
PerEarth: Lorn Blackhand, Wizard

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:26 pm

Bazzatard wrote:Lorn leans heavily on his staff. "I will glady join the rescue, but I will need my wounds tending to first."
"Don't let your wounds hinder you, further. "

Sunny casts cure light wounds on Lorn. "The least I can do."

"M'lord, We will rescue her, have no fear - and put your mind to the more pressing matters that lie within your power. First the poison of Duvik's pass and that letter in Viridian, indicating that they would try to weaken this area - then a bold Orc raid. There may well be more at work here than the coming of a second Orc war. Perhaps it is the overactive imagination of a youngman with ambition towards theater - or perhaps even these foul Orcs are nothing more than pawns in a much greater game. I offer you this deal - My friends and I will focus our efforts on saving Bronwyn and the other taken women - You focus yours on preparing Durham and perhaps the entire kingdom - and on unraveling the mystery here as to what is truly behind these attacks!

This is more than just a story now - though I've no doubt bards will sing of it in taverns and courts for decades when the truth will out... Bes protect and guide us, for it is surly her hand that brought us here tonight!

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5834
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:16 pm

Lord Peredur looks relieved that the group of capable adventurers has agreed to aid him. It is Sister Lenore, however, who offers her advice, “Milord, these young ladies and gentlemen are wounded. If we delay their depature until the morning, I can ensure they are healthy enough to complete their mission.” Glancing at Bram, she adds, “Although it will give the beasts a bit of a headstart, I imagine it will be easier to follow their trail in daylight.”

Lord Peredur looks at his feet for a moment, “I … we agree, Lenore. Your counsel is wise. Let these volunteers rest for what remains of the night. Then they may depart fully prepared for whatever awaits.” For Yasmin, he adds, “Be assured, once we have seen to defense of this keep, our first action will be to send warning to our vassal towns, including your father.”

So it is that you retire back to your rooms for some much needed rest … [I’m certain there are no objections]

In the morning, it is Sister Lenore who awakens each of you, with a spell or two for those who were wounded. [Having prepared nothing but healing spells today, she’s got more than enough to put you all back at full hitpoints] She then leads you all back out of the tower, through the courtyard, where you note that all of the bodies from last night’s battle have been removed and a large group of frightened looking townsfolk seem to have set up camp.

In the throne room of the main keep, you find Lord Peredur. He looks as if he has not slept at all, but, unlike last night, he is now attired in full plate armor. With him are Yinta, Justicar Penol, Andolyn, and the two noblemen Aldwe and Viennal, all of whom you met last night.

Lord Peredur addresses Sunny first, “We have thought upon the words you spoke last night. We agree that there may be more at work here than a single orc raid. Is there a relationship between this attack the apparent Viridian plot you uncovered in Duvik’s Pass or is this attack merely a coincidence? The letter you brought from the Pass has been sent to the King, that he and his advisors may consider this further.”

He then addresses the entire group, “In either case, the direction of the orc’s escape last night suggests that they may seek to bring their prisoners all the way back to their own lands, far to the west. If their trail leads there, you should follow. For Caithness must know what doings are afoot in the Orc-lands, if they indeed rally for war. There has been no word from our outpost on the edge of the Orc-lands, Castle Defiant, in over a year. Should the path lead that far, go to Castle Defiant. If Defiant still stands, Lord Kiren’s folk should be able to aid your search. If Defiant has fallen … well, that is news in itself, and bad news. Do what you can.”

“Be cautious,”
he warns, “Come back alive. Many good men have left their bones to bleach in the Orc-lands. It will serve no purpose for you to join them. Return alive, and let us know what we face. And bring us back our Bronwyn.”

“Should the orcs’ trail indeed lead as far as the Orc-lands, rather than some nearby encampment, we have readied for you a pack mule with a month of rations. This may not be enough for a full trip and return, but at least it will see you on your way.”
He finishes his speech, “If there are other supplies you need, please ask, but do so now, for we would not delay your departure much longer.”
Image

User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:32 pm

Yasmin bows to his lordship and says as she waves her hand towards her companions, "I know these capable heros will continue to make Durham proud in the coming days. I am happy to assist them on this quest and we will work with all due haste to find these orcs and cast their foul souls back to the pits of hell."
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:55 pm

"You're most welcome company Yasmin - so long as your father won't have our heads for not finding a way to stop you from joining us. I suppose we'll just have to hope that he'll remember how difficult it is to stop a capable woman from doing something she has a mind to do..." (He dares a quick look at Lenore as he says this...)

"An extra healers bag for when this one is depleted would be most welcome on that pack Mule, sire. I fear we'll have need of more than the one I carry before we're through. And if someone has a dagger of higher quality than this one I would not turn down the upgrade."

"Thank you for your taking my words to heart, M'lord. Let us hope it is simply the fancies of a youth learning the ways of good theater and not reality imitating art."

With that Sunny bows low and prepares for the day's journey.

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Post by tdsprouse » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:16 pm

"My Lord, I will track the foul beasts until they drop. And i look forward to the company of this group of adventurers, it grows lonely on the hunt.


The only thing i can think of are Scrolls of Sending, to inform your lordship of when we find and dispatch the Orcs, or when we reach Castle Defiant."

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:26 am

Awakened by Lenore, Jase says nothing, but sleepily dresses, dons armor and picks up his axe. Hefting it over his shoulders and placing his arms at either side of the shaft, he lazily yawns at the warning issued by Peredur. "Well," says the impetuous young man, "I'm sure we'll be fine. I am a child of Tharbria, and a lifetime victim of these monsters. Any trouble we encounter will be shattered remorselessly."

ooc: did we ever do anything with all that gold? Should we just see if we can leave it here? Cause I ain't carryin' that stuff :wink:

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5834
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:40 am

Icthius wrote:ooc: did we ever do anything with all that gold? Should we just see if we can leave it here? Cause I ain't carryin' that stuff :wink:
You didn't decide what to do with it. You could divvy it up or deposit it at the Temple of Nepthtlys before you go. Or ask for another pack mule to carry it (the one they've given you is pretty loaded with rations right now).
Image

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:24 pm

"My lord, thank you for allowing us to stay the night and I am sure we will do well in returning those who are missing. I feel I need to ask your forgiveness if my countrymen have had anything to do with this.

The attrocities carried out at Duviks Pass have been reported to the Elders at my church in hopes that the name of Ugtargnt will not be sullied by the few who choose to worship him in such a grave manner.

I would agree with Sunny that healing kits would be most beneficial in this journey. I look forward to the opportunity to return with good news."

User avatar
Bazzatard
Knight
Knight
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Post by Bazzatard » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:26 pm

Lorn, having now had a chance to sleep on his decision, seems less than pleased at the prospect at traipsing across the countryside chasing after some orcs. Never the less, he replies, “I need nothing for now, and I promise to do my best to retrieve your daughter.”

ooc: I’m going to be away for the weekend as we have a long bank holiday Monday and Friday, but I don’t think it will interfere with my posts too much. Just a warning in case.
PerEarth: Lorn Blackhand, Wizard

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:35 pm

Tana comes down in the morning dressed and packed, ready to depart. Looking at her companions she asks, "Did we ever acquire some basics like rope and such? For there is nothing else specifically that I can think of that we might need."
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5834
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:30 pm

After listening to the party’s requests, Lord Peredur sends servants to gather various items. They return quickly with 4 coils of rope, 4 healers kits, and a masterwork dagger for Sunny.

Upon hearing Bram’s suggestion about scrolls of sending, Justicar Penol volunteers “At times, servants of Helm use such scrolls to report on temple business while they are traveling. I am uncertain whether we have many readily available, but I will send a runner to the Cathedral to fetch what he can.” Within 15 minutes a temple servant returns with 2 scrolls of sending.

After the party exits the throne room and gathers in the courtyard with their gear, preparing to depart, Andolyn approaches Lorn, “I suspect, young man, that you may have some talent for the arcane. There are few enough of us in Caithness, so I hope you will accept these scrolls to keep you safe in your mission.” She hands him 4 scrolls, each with one spell: Bull’s Strength, Cat’s Grace, Endure Elements, and Jump.

[Okay, you’re ready to go. Before you depart, I’d like you to decide whether you’re stashing the rope, healers kits, and scrolls of sending on the pack mule or if someone’s carrying them. Also, the group needs to resolve the matter of the party treasury, as it’s too much for Jase to carry alone: either divvy it up or deposit it at the Temple on the way out of town.]
Image

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Jase would rather not give the money to the temple (until or unless someone explains the concept of banking to him), saying that he'd "spend it all on drink and women before simply giving it away".

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Post by tdsprouse » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:43 pm

I thank Jusicar Penol for the scrolls and tuck them in my pack.

Outside, i try to explain to Jase what the temples of Nepthtlys do ...

"Uh,... Jase? My name's Bram..." I offer my hand
"You look concerned about your coin. The temples of Nepthtlys will hold your coin for you. And then you can get that coin from any other temple to Nepthtlys anywhere. They can also exchange your gold for platinum, so you dont have as much to carry. If we to go by there, I'll be changing some coin myself. Its really a handy service, and they dont charge too much for it."

As i am talking to Jase, I quickly look over the pack mule, if it seems pretty loaded, i'll carry my pack for the time. But after a few days of eating the rations, i'll likely stow my pack on the mule.

Otherwise, after a few minutes, i'm itchin'to go.

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:23 pm

Tana has no problem with taking the treasury to the temple and will attempt to help convince Jase that they simply hold the money for a time for a small fee. If there is room on the mule stow most of the coils of rope I think, Tana will carry one. I would think put one scroll of sending on the mule and someone carry one.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 pm

Sunny gladly accepts the new dagger with great thanks. Then takes one of the healer's kits leaving the other three to the mule or the others. (are we each getting mounts or are we walking?) As for the cash - I'll take a small amount of spending money - the rest deposit or whatever. (I don't recall what each person's allotment is but I think I'm going to change some of my cash to platinum anyway. I don't want to carry more than a thousand gold in gold.... ugh. I'll keep about fifty silver, 50 in gold coins, then another 50 in platinum - *which should be about half my money - the rest gets deposited.

Correct me if I'm wrong but 50 pp =500 gold. and 50 coins =1 lb? So basically I'd be carrying three pounds of coinage? He'll pick up an extra pouch or two on the way out as well - I assume they have them at the temple?

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:42 pm

Jericho too will take a healers kit to carry on him. That should leave 2 for the pack mule. Not having a great need to carry a lot of money, he would gladly deposit all but 50 gold at the temple.

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Post by tdsprouse » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:28 pm

"Tana, good idea about the scrolls." Then quietly "I cant really use them anyway, just thought they'd be useful"

I offer one to Lorn, and stow the other on the mule.

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:10 pm

"Well...I suppose if I can get it back from ANY of the temples...I guess I'll go along with it." Jase looks slightly confused and very aprehensive, but is willing to go along with the idea, save for some amount of money (which will be the same amount as Sunny, assuming he can look over his shoulder and divine the meaning behind the currencies).

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Welcome to Perearth [ENDED]”