Through the desert on a horse with no name

Geographically, Perearth is a world with some remarkable similarities to our own. But the similarities end there.
User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 5884
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Through the desert on a horse with no name

Post by patransom » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:29 pm

[I really couldn't resist the thread title]

As it is evening, you set up camp before entering the desert. Thus, Sunny and Jericho have prepared appropriate spells the next morning when you enter the wastes and you feel you won't have any problems with water.

However, after travelling only a little while, you encounter another problem. It is getting very hot as the sun rises. You determine that travelling during the hottest part of the day (most of it actually, once you get deeper into the desert) is going to be a problem. It probably won't kill you, but it's not going to be pleasant (Fort save to avoid nonlethal damage each hour). You can suck it up and take the potential damage; move at half speed, allowing Bram and others with ranks in survival to try and keep you out of the worst of the heat (bonus on those Fort saves, per the skill description); or travel at night, using whatever light sources you can come up with to follow the tracks. Under this last scenario, there's still potential heat damage while you rest during the day, and your lights might be spotted by anything that's out there...

[Jericho, I need your list of spells prepared during the desert crossing. I imagine Endure Elements might be among them ...]
Image

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:54 pm

I only have the one endure elements spell - but I'd be fine during the day, if you all are.

User avatar
Bazzatard
Knight
Knight
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Post by Bazzatard » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:08 pm

If we can find some way of creating shelter for ourselves during the day, I would recommend moving during the night. We'll be no good fighting orcs if we half kill ourselves crossing a desert.
PerEarth: Lorn Blackhand, Wizard

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Post by tdsprouse » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:04 pm

"Yes, traveling at night would be better. less heat to worry about, and i think we'll be able to move a little faster.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:26 pm

"Day would be preferable to me. But night works just as well. I can keep 2 protected from the heat of the day each day. If we make use and switch who recieves this gift from my lord, I believe we will be okay to travel."

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:50 pm

Bazzatard wrote:If we can find some way of creating shelter for ourselves during the day, I would recommend moving during the night. We'll be no good fighting orcs if we half kill ourselves crossing a desert.
"I do worry, though, in this desert, and with the lead they already have, that we'll loose their trail at night and not be able to find them. We should never have let them get so far ahead. Had we only thought to bring horses right out of Durham."

User avatar
Bazzatard
Knight
Knight
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Post by Bazzatard » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:23 am

"However, travelling during the day we have to tolerate the heat of the sun, and the exhertion of moving which will sap our strength even more. The only other option is to travel during the day, but rest at the hottest part, then continue into the late evening and that way we'd limit the risk of losing the tracks to only a short amount of time."
PerEarth: Lorn Blackhand, Wizard

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:24 am

I'm certain that the orcs aren't letting the prisoners rest during the day- and they are likely able to survive this cursed heat. I suppose I can give up my last spell slot to gain another endure elements - between Jericho and I we would protect 4 party members a day starting tomorrow, and have enough water - but no magical aid in any other event.

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:32 am

"Yes, so do your best not to allow yourselves to get hurt. We can treat your wounds, but our healing will be limited."

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Post by tdsprouse » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:26 pm

"I can go either way, i will lead you however you decide to go."
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

Icthius
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: Irving, Texas
Contact:

Post by Icthius » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:44 pm

"Ugh. There's no way I can do this during the day. By Sif, I'm not used to this blasted sun!"

User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:44 pm

Yasmin has been quietly listening to the discussion and then says, "I doubt the orcs can continue getting through the desert without rest either during the day or night. I suggest we rest for a short period during the hottest part of the day and move with all due haste from early evening and throughout the night. We will be no good to the prisoners if we all all exhausted from the sun by the time we find our quarry and need to fight the orcs."
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:35 pm

"Agreed." Sunny adds as Jasmin finishes... (and let's say that's the concencus - so we can get on with the game... grin)

(Starting tomorrow sunny swaps out his last first level spell for an endure elements - he casts the first on himself as soon as the heat becomes bad.)

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:56 pm

Jericho will cast Endure Elements on Bram and on himself the first day so that our tracker will be at his peak.

User avatar
Jayel
BARON
BARON
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:08 pm
Location: USA LI,NY
Contact:

Post by Jayel » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:36 pm

Kolan nods his approval to Yasmin's plan of movement through the desert.
Image Kolan Torndar, Human Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert.
Image

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:21 pm

That works for me.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 5884
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:19 pm

Your first night of travel through the desert is uneventful. With Tana providing light from one of the many torches she still has left from your foray into the mine, Bram has no difficulty following the tracks.

As the day dawns, Bram, aided by Kolan, Tana, and Lorn, is able to find a place to rest with some shelter from the worst of the sun. Jericho, Sunny, and Bram, under the protection of Endure Elements, rest quite easily. For the rest of you, even with the shelter, resting is quite uncomfortable. Lorn and Tana awaken worse off than they were before they rested! Beginning travel again in the relative cool of the night, both of them recover within a couple of hours. By the time the following occurs, everyone is quite healthy again. [Sunny, let me know who's getting the second endure elements]

Approximately halfway through your second night of travel, you spy a bright light ahead of you, directly in the path of where the orc trail leads. Creeping up to the peak of a small ridge, you see the source. There is a campfire ahead. Surrounding it are a half dozen large creatures, nearly 7 feet tall. They look like a cross between a human and a lizard, with brown scaly skin. Lorn and Bram both recognize these creatures as Reptilemen, intelligent but highly unpredictable. These creatures are frequently hostile to people intruding on their territory, although a few tribes are known to be friendly. In the midst of the Reptilemen, lying on the ground, is an orc, tied up with crude ropes. It quickly becomes apparent that the Reptilemen are preparing to cook this orc over their campfire. Whether their purpose is torture or a meal is not clear.

[The reptilemen have not spotted you. You could give the area a wide berth, but you would lose an hour or more of travel, since Bram would have to find the orc tracks again after avoiding the reptilemen camp. You could try to sneak by and lose no time, but there's a chance the reptilemen will spot you. Or you could approach them directly or attack them or something else. The campfire is about 100 feet ahead of you, just down the slope of the small ridge you're on]
Image

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Post by tdsprouse » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:56 pm

Bram motions to kill the torch.

then whispers...

"Maybe we should make ourselves known, and try to get some information peacefully. Anyone speak their language?"

"We could re-light the torch and approach, hands raised, and see what happens. Fight if need be."
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:03 pm

"I think our best approach would be to peacefully go up to them and defend ourselves if need be. I think it would be best if we tried to keep ourselves healthy until we reach the orcs. And from the looks of things, these fine reptilian folks have already had an encounter with them."
OOC: I am officially naming the horse Pokey, that way I don't have to follow along with the name of the thread.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:21 pm

"I concur. They may try to eat us they way they did the orc, or they may consider the orcs a greater threat. We should have something to offer immediately, as a sign of good faith. Please, allow me to do the talking - But I'm not really carrying anything worth gifting, except a waterskin - and I don't know that we can do with it."

(Does the ring I have work on spoken languages or only written ones? If it works on spoken - I'll set it now for reptilemanish so I can address them in their own tongue.)

Now, I believe Lorn is the most frail - so I'll cast the endure elements on him each morning.

Unless someone voices a reason not to go forth - or another idea as to who should speak - I'll take whatever the group decides is worth giving and head out to the camp. Calling ahead in their tongue (if I can) and common (if I can't) and holding the item clearly and visibly.

"Greetings desert warriors. I am Sunny, faithful servant of Beloved Lady Bes. I see you have taken one of our enemy. We come in search of a war party of these vile orcs who have taken our women hostage. Would you allow us to pass through your lands and exchange any information on the which way they went? For our intrustion, and in repayment for your generosity we offer you this (insert gift here). "

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Post by tdsprouse » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:42 am

"Think they'll like this?"

I hand Sunny a Polished Steel Mirror.

"It's about the only thing i have that might be of interest i think."
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:24 am

"I am leary of making all our positions known and losing the element of surprise. Perhaps one or two of us should move forward slowly to try to communicate with these reptilemen while the rest of us move around the camp. That way if their intentions are hostile we can attack with some element of surprise and attempt to flank them. How do the rest of you feel about it?" Yasmin inquires.
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 5884
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:01 pm

Sunbolt wrote:(Does the ring I have work on spoken languages or only written ones? If it works on spoken - I'll set it now for reptilemanish so I can address them in their own tongue.)
The ring works on spoken languages, but remember the choices you make are permanent. But the reptilemen speak draconic, so it's not a bad choice.
Image

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:56 pm

patransom wrote:
Sunbolt wrote:(Does the ring I have work on spoken languages or only written ones? If it works on spoken - I'll set it now for reptilemanish so I can address them in their own tongue.)
The ring works on spoken languages, but remember the choices you make are permanent. But the reptilemen speak draconic, so it's not a bad choice.
Draconic then - I thought you said the ring can be "reprogrammed" after a week or something like that? But even if it can not - it makes no sense to have it and not use it when the time comes. This may be the only chance we have to make a peaceable approach. If I never use the ring because each choice will be final - I'll never use the ring.

That said - I also call on my beloved to grant me her blessings in choosing my words. Maybe I'll be lucky and say just the right thing to get them on our side.


"Yasmine - I don't think it's a good idea to surprise them later with how many of us there are in different directions - that might turn them against us if we do make peace. But I do agree that giving away our position isn't wonderful if they are not peaceful.
I will go down to them. I leave it to you all to stay or move as you feel you must. The should not see me before they hear me, and they won't hear me until I am closer and call out to them. That should give you a bit of time to move quietly around - if you feel it is best. Just - if I call out that we are among friends - circle back this way before you come out of hiding.

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 5884
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:43 am

Sunbolt wrote:Draconic then - I thought you said the ring can be "reprogrammed" after a week or something like that? But even if it can not - it makes no sense to have it and not use it when the time comes. This may be the only chance we have to make a peaceable approach. If I never use the ring because each choice will be final - I'll never use the ring.
It can be "reprogrammed" after 10 years: http://theonlysheet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2855
Image

User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:00 pm

Yasmin nods to Sunny and says, "Good luck. I will be close by in case you need assistance. It is not in my nature to wait helplessly while others take risks."
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:49 pm

patransom wrote:
Sunbolt wrote:Draconic then - I thought you said the ring can be "reprogrammed" after a week or something like that? But even if it can not - it makes no sense to have it and not use it when the time comes. This may be the only chance we have to make a peaceable approach. If I never use the ring because each choice will be final - I'll never use the ring.
It can be "reprogrammed" after 10 years: http://theonlysheet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2855
ooc Ah - ok I knew I remembered something like that. So for the next decade, I'll speak draconic! Cool. Any silver's around? I hear they make for some real fun at parties. ooc

User avatar
Bazzatard
Knight
Knight
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Post by Bazzatard » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:49 am

"If they are peaceful when you talk to them, I would advise that you tell them that the rest of us remained behind until they gave us permission to approach. Otherwise they may realise we were hiding in ambush in case they were hostile. No doubt such primitive creatures are sensitive about such things."
PerEarth: Lorn Blackhand, Wizard

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:54 pm

Bazzatard wrote:"If they are peaceful when you talk to them, I would advise that you tell them that the rest of us remained behind until they gave us permission to approach. Otherwise they may realise we were hiding in ambush in case they were hostile. No doubt such primitive creatures are sensitive about such things."
Agreed.

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 5884
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:11 pm

[Apologies for the delayed validation, I've been sick and am still kind of hopped up on Sudafed, so let me know if I screwed anything up]

While the rest of you remain back outside the reach of the firelight, Sunny approaches, saying loudly (in draconic) "Greetings desert warriors. I am Sunny, faithful servant of Beloved Lady Bes. I see you have taken one of our enemy. We come in search of a war party of these vile orcs who have taken our women hostage. Would you allow us to pass through your lands and exchange any information on the which way they went? For our intrustion, and in repayment for your generosity we offer you this silver mirror. "

The reptilemen do not seem happy to hear Sunny. One of them shouts (in draconic), "More food! Get it!" The reptilemen, as one, snatch their crude shields from the ground and rush in the direction of Sunny's voice. [It's clear they can see you now]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Welcome to Perearth [ENDED]”