In and around the monestary

Geographically, Perearth is a world with some remarkable similarities to our own. But the similarities end there.
User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 5884
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

In and around the monestary

Post by patransom » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:19 pm

[Since posting seems to have slowed to a crawl, possibly because of the holidays, I'm officially moving this game to a one a week validation schedule. Actually, I've been doing that for the last few weeks anyway, but I figured I'd make it official.

Validations will occur on Friday or Saturday ... this one was delayed due to my actual live game yesterday.

If anyone has an issue with this, let me know via PM or post. Also, if anyone has decided to drop out, or is going to have issues posting for a period, please let me know.

On with the validation ...]


In inspecting the doors, Bram finds that, if they ever had a lock on them, it's been shattered. Since he has now way of knowing if there are people inside, he decides to knock. His light rap on the door causes it to fall backwards into the building! It now appears the doors were bashed in, but someone (maybe the orc) propped them back into place rather hastily.

Kolan joins Bram to find the inside of the building beyond the doors quite dark ... who knows what lies within?

Yasmin drinks a potion [healed 8 hp]

Tana begins searching the dead orcs. She finds that they are rather loaded with coins and treasures:

- 1,800 sp
- 430 gp
- a set of granite dice
- a pair of bronze spectacles
- a pair of velvet gloves with silver stitching
- a scroll
- 2 potions

Some of these things don't seem typical for orcs. They must have gotten them from somewhere ...

Jase makes himself busy kicking the orc corpses angrily for a while, then turns his attention to the short, armored leader. He rips the helmet off to discover something unusual. "This isn't an orc! It's a dwarf," he yells.

He sets to searching the dwarf's corpse, discovering that the dwarf's equipment is very finely made. It looks like something orcs would craft, but is obviously made with skill unusual for orcs. This includes:

- Banded Mail
- A heavy steel shield
- A morningstar

The dwarf also carries:

- 2 vials of alchemist's fire
- 500 gp

[Damage totals: Kolan 3, Yasmin 14, Bram 7, Jase 3, Jericho 19, Tana 10]
Image

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Post by tdsprouse » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:54 pm

"Well that's curious."

If he's got a torch, bram will light it, and peer around to see wht he can see inside the curch.


for what its worth, i'd rather have twice a week. but will go with whatever.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:34 am

Yasmin gets to her feet and moves up to assist Bram with his investigation.
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

New - old Character

Post by Dink » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:32 am

Jase sits down like a child which found a new toy and grabs the items from the dwarf, including:
- Banded Mail
- A heavy steel shield
- A morningstar
- 2 vials of alchemist's fire
- 500 gp

He tries to use the steel shield. If it fits he will try it for a while.
He tries to use the morning star and takes a long look at the branded mail and the helmet he ripped off.
If there are no signs, whatsoever, on the armor, shield or morningstar, and nothing fits he will put the rest to the backpack.
Further Jase takes a look at the wonna be Orc Leader and searches for further clues about the heritage and why he dressed like this.

He tries to see if the 2 vial have any signs or if there is anything besides the 500gp in the pouch.

Then Jase turns around to the rest of the party with a somehow new face.
It seems that something has changed, but its hard to tell. Probably something inside his head has changed.
Nonetheless he seems to be fesh though he still hates Orcs as a Nr. 1 evil horde.
He hopes that everyone will still want to adventure with him and shows to them what he found.
"Me keep the money, so Me can pay for shelter? [as a question]
Can Yours use this? [Shows the armor, vials, weapon and whatever else he found].
Strange small guy dressed as evil Orc. Let us see why."

Then he turns around and tries to smell if there are any signs of real Orcs as well as were the difference between the Dwarven smell and a typical Orcish smell is.

Taking off more amour of other "Orcs" to validate their race.
After a last look outside he moves inside and stays with the others if they want to camp for the night.
In case we stay Jase will take the longerst shift to watch over the others, just want to tender the few bruises he has.


[Hi there. My name is Torsten and I would like to take over Jase.
Patransom send me the TOS+ file as well as the background information for Jase. I hope to fill the gap so you dont even notice a change :) ]
Last edited by Dink on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Dungeon Master (2)

BINGO DICE on Kickstarter

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:33 am

Jericho, still battered and bruised from his charge to save Tana, slowly makes his way to the building Bram and Kolan have entered. Looking inside and seeing the darknes he comments to Bram, "I really need to rest up. Do you think this will be a safe place?"

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Post by tdsprouse » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:00 am

"So far so good, i'll take alook around an dsee if there is anything to be concerned with."

After looking through the doorway for a minute, Bram will venture inside and look around to guage secureness, then begin searching teh place for other doors, stairs, and stuff.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:05 am

Vasmin continues to watch Bram's back while he searches around.

{OOC Welcome Torsten!}
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

User avatar
Jayel
BARON
BARON
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:08 pm
Location: USA LI,NY
Contact:

Post by Jayel » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:23 pm

Kolan follows Bram deeper into the monastery. After they determine that there is no immediate danger, he turns to Jase and asks, "What do you mean by strange small man dressed as an orc?"
Image Kolan Torndar, Human Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert.
Image

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 5884
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:25 pm

Sunny joins Jase in examining the dwarf and its gear. He points out, "That's not a small man, Jase. It's a dwarf. But not a normal dwarf. He's bald and kind of pale. I've never seen a dwarf like that before."

Examining the gear, the armor, shield, and morningstar are intricately designed with evil-looking symbols, but neither Sunny or Jase recognize them. After testing out the weapons and armor, Jase can tell they are all at least of masterwork quality. Sunny also points out that the dwarf's boots are particularly well made. [The gear is all medium sized, so any of you could use it, if you are proficient.]

The other bodies, it turns out, are actually orcs. Other than the things Tana's already collected, their equipment is ratty and doesn't look particularly valuable.

Bram doesn't have a torch, but Kolan does, so he lights it and the two go inside, followed by Yasmin and Jericho. Inside is a large central chamber. The walls are decorated with frescoes depicting black flowers, which Bram identifies as lotus blossoms. Around the room are several punching dummies and archery targets, and also the dead bodies of four monks, their heads cut off.

A door in the back of the central chamber leads to a dining hall and kitchen, wherein there are the bodies of two more monks, but little else of interest. Off to the side, several more doors lead into small sleeping rooms, sparsely furnished with only mats on the floor.

Underneath one of the sleeping mats, Jericho spots the edge of a hidden trap door, obviously overlooked by the orcs.
Image

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Post by tdsprouse » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:24 pm

"Nice find Jericho, what do you think? I'm curious where this goes, but we should work fasst if we are going to keep moving. If we are staying the night, i guess we can take a little time."

Barring jericho's objection, Bram reaches for and opens the trap door.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:33 pm

"This looks more like a place for Kolan or Tana then I, but I would say we have found something important." Jericho shows no objections to Bram opening the trap door, however is sure to stand away while he does so

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:39 am

"If we can make it secure enough after dealing with the dead I see no reason not to stay here." Tana responds. After moving the gear from the orcs inside she will search the bodies of the monks to see if she can get more information and then do what she can to pay them proper respects.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Post by Dink » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:49 am

After Tana searched the monks, Jase will carry all dead bodies to the outside and start making a camp (grabbing the mats).
Then he will put on the banded Mail, the steel shield, the Morningstar, the helmet and the boots.
Equipped with these items he turns to the others and says "Do I look like the small guy (dwarrrf or what ever), then I could command the Orcs. That’s something I always wanted to do!"
If anyone starts to open the secret door, Jase will offer to go first (grabbing a torch, if that’s fine with the other).
Otherwise Jase takes the first and the last shift.
Image Dungeon Master (2)

BINGO DICE on Kickstarter

User avatar
Jayel
BARON
BARON
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:08 pm
Location: USA LI,NY
Contact:

Post by Jayel » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:11 pm

"Why would a dwarf be leading a group of orcs?"
Kolan will stand by Bram while he or I open the trap door so as to shed light down past the trap door.
Image Kolan Torndar, Human Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert.
Image

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 5884
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:13 pm

Not officially a validation. Just acting for Yasmin and Sunny so you guys know what they are up to. Validation will still occur on Friday or Saturday.

Sunny and Yasmin follow the others into the monestary. Sunny laughs at Jase, "No, you don't look like a dwarf; you're much too tall. Someone might mistake you for an orc leader, if they all dress like that, but not the same one."

He looks at Jericho and, noticing the severe injuries, casts a couple of spells. [Jericho is healed 12 hp]

Observing Sunny's actions, Yasmin places her hands on Tana. "You also look in need of assistance." [Tana is healed 4 hp]

She approaches Jase, "I will follow you through the trap door, so you will not face whatever danger lies ahead alone."
Image

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Trap Door

Post by Dink » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:32 pm

Jase, will move down the trap door, after dropping his banded mail in the middle of the place.
If anyone wants to search for traps, Jase will wait.
Then he moves in in front of Yasmin with a tourch.
"Starts to be fun, eh?
Lets see what we find down here.
Probably some of the monks hide down here.

Yasin, are you alright and ready to move?"


Jase believes that down here are either the real baddies or monks hiding from the Orcs. So he wont just hit whatever moves, but still be ready to do so.
In case of dwarves he might hit them first and ask later.
Image Dungeon Master (2)

BINGO DICE on Kickstarter

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:10 am

Tana thanks Yasmin for the healing then returns to dealing with the bodies and effects.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 5884
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:19 pm

On joining everyone further inside the monestary, Tana realizes that she recognizes the black lotus blossom frescoes ... they are symbols of Xan Yae, Goddess of Moonlight and Shadows. She doesn't know very much about Xan Yae, because she is not worshipped very much in Caithness, except that she has many monks as followers and they keep monestaries in remote and secluded places ... like this one.

Jase removes the Banded Mail and gets ready for Bram to open the trap door. Bram and Kolan stand to either side of the door and Yasmin stands just behind Jase. Jericho and Sunny stand back, while Lorn does nothing.

Beneath the trap door, a ladder leads downward about ten feet. You can see the dirt floor, as whatever space is down there is lit with torches. You can't hear anything down there, though.
Image

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Down the trapdoor

Post by Dink » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:15 am

Jase looks down (fully dressed in the new armor and shield, but not the helmet). If the ladder stands at a wall, he will go down the ladder one handed (the other gabs the weapon). If the ladder is in the middle of a room, he will go down one meter and then jump into the open room.
Once he is at the bottom he will let everyone know what he sees, even if in combat.
If monks are to be found down here, he will say even if attacked first:
"I am not with the Orcs. My name is Jase. Me and my friends slay the Orcs. You are safe for now."
He will only try to defend himself.

If Orcs can be seen without being noticed first, Jase will equip the helmet too and try to fool them (to get more information or at least to get closer without being attacked).

Otherwise Jase will take a closer look at what he sees.
Image Dungeon Master (2)

BINGO DICE on Kickstarter

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:53 am

Jericho will stand back as the others begin to head down the trapdoor. He will be one of the last people down the ladder.

User avatar
Jayel
BARON
BARON
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:08 pm
Location: USA LI,NY
Contact:

Post by Jayel » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:42 pm

Kolan waits to see what reaction Jase gets when he gets to the bottom of the ladder. If Jase is attacked by enemies, Kolan will jump down to help. If he finds monks or supplies, Kolan will use the ladder to descend.
Image Kolan Torndar, Human Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert.
Image

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Post by tdsprouse » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:21 am

Descend when there is an opening.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:22 pm

Tana will take up the rear if everyone goes down in order to keep an eye out in the main area.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

User avatar
Bazzatard
Knight
Knight
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Post by Bazzatard » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:51 pm

Lorn will follow up with Tana, wand at the ready.
PerEarth: Lorn Blackhand, Wizard

User avatar
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1
Posts: 5884
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:19 pm

[Jase, although you said you took the armor off last validation, we can assume you have it on now -- it doesn't really matter. You should be aware, though, that you are not proficient with banded mail (it's heavy armor). You will be at -5 on attacks if you wear it in a combat situation (normally -6, but it's masterwork quality). The armor really would be better suited to someone proficient with it: Yasmin or Jericho. And Yasmin's already got masterwork full plate.]

Jase descends the ladder one handed, managing somehow not to fall off. Yasmin follows him down. On reaching the floor, they find they have to crouch slightly under the low ceiling.

The sources of light in this small crawl space under the monestary are torches held by three black-robed elderly men. They stand in defensive posture, examining Jase and Yasmin warily.

When Jase says, "I am not with the Orcs. My name is Jase. Me and my friends slay the Orcs. You are safe for now," the monks relax a bit. "Then the attackers are gone? You have our thanks, Jase and friends," says the old monk at the center of the three. "Is it quite safe to return to the main floor of the monestary?"

Glancing down into the crawl space, Kolan and the rest of you see that there isn't much room down there ... hardly worth descending, if there isn't going to be a fight.

[Note: there might not be a validation next week, since I'll be out of town. It depends on whether I get back in time ... if there is no validation next Saturday, we'll continue in the New Year.]
Image

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Post by tdsprouse » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:26 pm

After hearing the exchange below, Bram relaxes a bit and lets those below explain the situation.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
Jayel
BARON
BARON
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:08 pm
Location: USA LI,NY
Contact:

Post by Jayel » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:24 pm

What Bram said. Then, when the monks make their way up to the main floor, Kolan bows and introduces himself.

"You are very welcome fellow monks. My name is Kolan Torndar of the Order of St. Cuthbert. Do you happen to know anything about your attackers, specifically, why a dwarf was leading them?"
Last edited by Jayel on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Kolan Torndar, Human Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert.
Image

User avatar
Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California
Contact:

Post by Icefire » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:37 am

When the elders come up to the main floor, "And I am Tana Lattia also of the Order of St Cuthbert. We had already begun to take care of those that had died when the door to your retreat was found. It appears that you three are the only ones left. Do you know why you were attacked?"
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Monks out of a box

Post by Dink » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:26 am

While everyone else gets comfortable with the monks Jase will put on his old armor and offer Jericho the complete set, including the shield.

Then he will join the others and listen to the monks.
[Happy new year :)]
Image Dungeon Master (2)

BINGO DICE on Kickstarter

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Post by klakxor » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:41 am

Jericho makes a quick introduction to the monks as they come up from the hide away, knowing that Tana and Kolan would be the best party reprensentatives to talk to them.

When offered the armor from Jase, Jericho will thank him and graciously take it and try it on.

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Welcome to Perearth [ENDED]”