[Half Party Kill] Running for Defiant

Geographically, Perearth is a world with some remarkable similarities to our own. But the similarities end there.
User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by patransom » Fri May 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Yasmin, fighting defensively, just misses the orc.

Kolan moves to confront Orc 18. He misses.

Jericho looks at Tana, “There is the opening, lets run straight through to the keep” Tana turns to Jericho and says, “Agreed.” She sets off running.
Lorn turns briefly to see how the party is faring, wastes a few seconds before turning back around, and continues towards the castle as fast as he can. [Had Lorn double move instead of run in an attempt to fit the feel of this post]

Orc 14 misses the fire beetle.

Orc 15 growls and attacks Yasmin, but is unable to get past her defenses.

Orc 17 charges Kolan, slashing him from behind. [8 hp]

Orc 18 counterattacks Kolan. Aided by the flanking position of its ally, it slashes Kolan across the chest. Kolan falls to the ground with a gurgle . [8 more hp, putting Kolan at -4]

Another orc emerges from the woods opposite Yasmin.

Sunny’s fire beetle bites Orc 14, killing the orc, then evaporates into thin air, its work complete.

Jericho runs to keep pace with Tana.

Tears start to run down Jase’s face. He turns around and runs at top speed. He reaches one of the orcs that just knocked out Kolan first and his thoughts turn to nothing but killing. [I’ll start counting the rage on your turn next round, since it’s of no benefit until then]

[Damage totals: Yasmin 15, Kolan 21, Tana 15, Lorn 1, Jericho 4, Jase 1]

[Map shows only those still in combat. Lorn, Tana, and Jericho are running for the castle. I am tracking where they are, should someone decide to turn back, but I don’t see the need for a huge, mostly blank map.]

Gauntlet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Fri May 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Yasmin, hearing the battle behind her, turns, and with a attempting to remain defended, runs toward the downed party member.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Full Withdraw towards Kolan

 

Image

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by Dink » Sun May 25, 2008 9:06 am

patransom wrote:... Kolan falls to the ground with a gurgle . [8 more hp, putting Kolan at -4]
Jase cries out loud, building up to his full height, enemies in blood where ever he looks, nothing to take care about only killing these minions of evil.
Letting go the defense, knowing only death awaits all in this fight ... that's the taste of Berserk.

I guess you know what Jase is up to.
Image Dungeon Master (2)

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by Dink » Sun May 25, 2008 9:08 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Yasmin and Jase are the only ones in battle, can we speed up things and take turns more often?

 

Image Dungeon Master (2)

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by patransom » Sun May 25, 2008 5:39 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Yeah, assuming everyone else is committed to running toward Castle Defiant, I’ll validate as fast as I can after both of you post[/occ]

Yasmin, hearing the battle behind her, turns, and with an attempt to remain defended, runs toward the downed party member.

Kolan bleeds. [at -5 hp]

As the rest of the party continues running, Orcs 15 and 19 charge Yasmin. One of them hits. [8 hp puts Yasmin at 1!]

Orcs 17 and 18 attack Jase. One of them hits [10 hp]

Another orc emerges from the woods.

Jase cries out loud, building up to his full height, and swings at Orc 17. Powered by his berserk rage, his axe cuts clean through both 17 and 18, felling them both!

[Damage totals: Yasmin 23, Kolan 22, Tana 15, Lorn 1, Jericho 4, Jase 11]

 

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by Dink » Sun May 25, 2008 6:43 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Cool[/occ]
If Jase made a single step to 12216 he could make it to 12222 in case the Orcs did not come closer yet.
If possible he will try to be surrounded by as many Orcs as possible using his Cleave feat.
At the same time he wants to buy Yasmin some time to get Kolan back into running conditions.

 

Image Dungeon Master (2)

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Sun May 25, 2008 10:57 pm

Yasmin continues to the fallen comrade, hoping to save Kolan. Being so exhausted, she is forced to action. She steps swiftly away from the orcs, and quickly drinks one of her potions, then readies herself for the orcs' attack.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Yasmin 5ft freestep out of AOO range, drink one potion of CLW

 

Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by patransom » Tue May 27, 2008 9:50 am

Yasmin steps back from the orcs, retrieves a potion and drinks it. [healed 6 hp]

Kolan bleeds [-6]

Lorn, Tana, and Jericho are now almost halfway across the cleared area. They can hear shouts from the castle walls, including Bram’s voice, encouraging them onward.

Orcs 15 and 19 pursue Yasmin. Both swing their falchions. One barely misses, but the other connects with a powerful blow and Yasmin is staggered. [natural 20, but not confirmed. 7 hp damage, putting Yasmin at 0, not unconscious, but disabled. To refresh your memory: one action per round, move at half speed. I will allow a 5 ft step and retrieve potion.]

Orc 20 moves in closer and tosses a javelin at Jase. The javelin pierces Jase’s shoulder. [9 hp]

Another orc emerges from the woods. Jase and Yasmin can hear yells deeper in the forest now. It sounds as if many more orcs are approaching.

Jase moves forward and cuts orc 19 into little bits.

[Damage totals: Yasmin 24, Kolan 23, Tana 15, Lorn 1, Jericho 4, Jase 20]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Tue May 27, 2008 11:51 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Can I use a Lay on Hands? It is also a standard action.

 

Image

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by Dink » Tue May 27, 2008 3:37 pm

patransom wrote: Jase moves forward and cuts orc 19 into little bits.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Using the Feat Cleave should allow to hit the second Orc too. Doesnt it?

 

Jase hits Orc 15 and moves on to Orc 20 to kill that bastard.
Jase tries to give Jasmin a clear path to Kolan.
patransom wrote: [Damage totals: ... Jase 20]
OUT OF CHARACTER
Does this include the bonus life from being berserk?

 

Image Dungeon Master (2)

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by patransom » Tue May 27, 2008 5:47 pm

Dink wrote:
patransom wrote: Jase moves forward and cuts orc 19 into little bits.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Using the Feat Cleave should allow to hit the second Orc too. Doesnt it?

 

There weren't any other orcs adjacent to Jase to cleave into.
Dink wrote:
patransom wrote: [Damage totals: ... Jase 20]
OUT OF CHARACTER
Does this include the bonus life from being berserk?

 

This is the total damage Jase has taken. Rage adds to your total hit points. It doesn't change how much you've taken so far; only increases the amount you have left.
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by patransom » Tue May 27, 2008 5:48 pm

TheGreenLabrador wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Can I use a Lay on Hands? It is also a standard action.

 

Sure.
Image

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Tue May 27, 2008 7:17 pm

Yasmin ducks back toward Jase, and out of reach, grasping her holy symbol, and muttering a brief prayer, and her wounds are briefly staunched.
OUT OF CHARACTER
5ft free out of AOO, lay on hands 2 hp out of 4.

 

Image

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by Dink » Tue May 27, 2008 7:29 pm

patransom wrote:Jase moves forward and cuts orc 19 into little bits.
...
There weren't any other orcs adjacent to Jase to cleave into.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Sorry, just thought so, because Orc 15 is in reach and Jase was last in that round.
Can you explain what Cleave does, seems I did not understand this feat.

 

patransom wrote: [Damage totals: ... Jase 20]
...
This is the total damage Jase has taken. Rage adds to your total hit points. It doesn't change how much you've taken so far; only increases the amount you have left.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Need to look up these things :D I thought that the damage is deducted first from the bonus life, but it seems its lost once Jase is out of berserk. Sorry

 

Image Dungeon Master (2)

Phoenix512
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:54 am
Location: United States, Ohio

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by Phoenix512 » Tue May 27, 2008 7:49 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Cleave works like this. When there are more than one enemy within melee range, if you kill one of them during your turn, you can get a free attack to another enemy within melee range on the same turn. You can't take a 5-foot step to cleave another enemy. That will require Supreme Cleave which is a class feature of the Frenzied Berserker.

Once your rage ends, your CON modifier goes back to your original modifier and in effect lose your bonus HP. If this loss drops your HP below 0, I don't think I need to explain what happens.

 


User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by patransom » Tue May 27, 2008 8:03 pm

Phoenix512 wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Cleave works like this. When there are more than one enemy within melee range, if you kill one of them during your turn, you can get a free attack to another enemy within melee range on the same turn. You can't take a 5-foot step to cleave another enemy. That will require Supreme Cleave which is a class feature of the Frenzied Berserker.

Once your rage ends, your CON modifier goes back to your original modifier and in effect lose your bonus HP. If this loss drops your HP below 0, I don't think I need to explain what happens.

 

Exactly right.
Image

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by Dink » Tue May 27, 2008 8:07 pm

patransom wrote:
Phoenix512 wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
Cleave works like this. When there are more than one enemy within melee range, if you kill one of them during your turn, you can get a free attack to another enemy within melee range on the same turn. You can't take a 5-foot step to cleave another enemy. That will require Supreme Cleave which is a class feature of the Frenzied Berserker.

Once your rage ends, your CON modifier goes back to your original modifier and in effect lose your bonus HP. If this loss drops your HP below 0, I don't think I need to explain what happens.

 

Exactly right.
Does this mean, that Orc 15 is not in Melee range?
Anyways i am fine for the next turn :)
Image Dungeon Master (2)

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by patransom » Tue May 27, 2008 8:23 pm

Yasmin ducks back toward Jase, and out of reach, grasping her holy symbol, and muttering a brief prayer, and her wounds are briefly staunched. [healed 2 hp]

Kolan bleeds. [-7]

Tana, Lorn, and Jericho are now just over 100 yards from the castle gates.

Orcs 15 and 21 close in to flank Jase. One hits [9 hp]

Orc 20 steps to attack Yasmin, but is unable to penetrate her armor.

Two more orcs emerge from the woods! The sound of more orcs grunting and running through the woods is clear…

Jase cuts Orc 15’s head off, then takes out 21 with his backswing. He steps into position to attack Orc 20. [Right, orc 15 wasn't in melee range for a cleave last turn, but he moved there this turn. So did 21, allowing you to cleave both of them.]

[Damage totals: Yasmin 22, Kolan 24, Tana 15, Lorn 1, Jericho 4, Jase 29]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by Dink » Tue May 27, 2008 8:39 pm

Yasmin, go and try to save Kolan. I will stay. My time has come to die in Battle.

Jase kills the Orc and readies a vial of Alchemy Fire for the upcoming Orcs. (if he can do so while running towards the castle he will do so)

OUT OF CHARACTER
Jase is two HP short as soon as he runs out of Berserk. [at -1 at the moment]

 

Image Dungeon Master (2)

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Wed May 28, 2008 10:20 am

Yasmin, blood running down her sides, and her face bruised, looks at Jase, who is almost wild with rage.

Follow me to Kolan, I will do what I can to bring us all forward... but if not, I will see you soon in the light.

Yasmin looks at Kolan, gulps, and runs directly at him, ignoring the orc.
OUT OF CHARACTER
If Yasmin makes it without being taken down into the negatives:

 

Yasmin slides to the ground next to Kolan, pouring the liquid into his mouth, and massaging his throat briefly, watching his reaction intently.
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by patransom » Wed May 28, 2008 5:52 pm

Yasmin runs to Kolan’s side, ignoring the orc. The orc swipes at her as she goes, but misses. Arriving next to Kolan, Yasmin retrieves a potion.

Kolan bleeds. [-8]

Tana, Lorn, and Jericho run closer to the castle.

Orc 20 narrowly misses Jase.

Orc 22 moves slowly toward Yasmin, throwing a javelin as it approaches. The javelin flies high over Yasmin’s head.

Orc 23 charges Jase, but stumbles on a rock and misses.

Three more orcs emerge from the woods farther down the path.

Jase cuts Orc 20 in half, then does the same to Orc 23. He retrieves a vial of alchemist’s fire.

[Damage totals: Yasmin 22, Kolan 25, Tana 15, Lorn 1, Jericho 4, Jase 29]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by Dink » Wed May 28, 2008 7:22 pm

Jase moves to 11214 and throws the Alchemist'S Fire at 11219
OUT OF CHARACTER
not sure how this stuff works. does it spread or does it concentrate on a spot. I hope it spreads a bit, so that the other Orcs are cut off

 

In case Orc 22 is in close combat, Jase will kill it, take one step backwards and throw the fire to a spot that makes sense.
Image Dungeon Master (2)

User avatar
TheGreenLabrador
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm
Location: Denton, Texas
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by TheGreenLabrador » Wed May 28, 2008 8:38 pm

Yasmin pours the potion down Kolan's throat, seeing how his condition changes afterwards.

She guards his body as it activates.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Use the potion on Kolan, Full Defense.

 

Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by patransom » Thu May 29, 2008 4:45 pm

Dink wrote:Jase moves to 11214 and throws the Alchemist'S Fire at 11219
OUT OF CHARACTER
not sure how this stuff works. does it spread or does it concentrate on a spot. I hope it spreads a bit, so that the other Orcs are cut off

 

In case Orc 22 is in close combat, Jase will kill it, take one step backwards and throw the fire to a spot that makes sense.
The alchemists fire, if thrown on the dirt path, will burn in a 5 ft square and might keep burning for a little while. If thrown on the grass, however, a larger area might ignite and keep burning longer...

It is very likely that Orc 22 will be in combat. Jase has a vial of alchemist's fire in one hand. If he wants to attack the orc with his greataxe - A TWO-HANDED WEAPON - he needs to have both hands free.

Let me know exactly what you want to do.
Image

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by Dink » Thu May 29, 2008 6:32 pm

If Orc 22 gets into close combat with Jase, he takes a step away from the Orc and throw the fire at Orc 24 or 25. If this hits Jase would like to turn to Orc and asks "Want one too, eh?"
If Orc 22 attacks Yasmin, Jase will throw the alchemists fire at the closer one of 25 or 24 and move to Orc 22 with the following remarks:
SpoilerShow
- If moving to Orc 22 Jase will try to stand as close to the castle as possible;
- Throwing the fire at the 25 or 24 will be the Orc who is running on grass;
- If both are on grass at the one who is closer;
- If 24 or 25 is in close combat with Jase, he will take a step backwards and throw the fire at the one who is further away but not more than 5 feet otherwise the direct aggressor.
If Jase goes down before his action phase (besides forget all I said :) ) he will try to throw the fire at his spot in a last attempt to support Yasmin.

All this should happen to back off the Orcs, because I hope this looks up to more than Jase has HP.
Image Dungeon Master (2)

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5874
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Running for Defiant

Post by patransom » Thu May 29, 2008 7:37 pm

Yasmin force-feeds Kolan a potion. Kolan’s wounds stop bleeding and he coughs a bit, but he does not return to consciousness. [Healed 7 hp]

Tana, Lorn, and Jericho, running full out, near the castle gates. There are shouts from the walls to open the gates for the fleeing trio. [They’ll be inside in two rounds]

Orc 22, seeing what Jase just did to his allies, wants no part of Jase. He moves to attack Yasmin. His falchion knocks her to the ground. [9 hp puts Yasmin at -7]

The remaining three orcs all charge Jase and all three blades connect simultaneously! Jase falls to the ground in a bloody heap. [Total from all three hits: 28 hp putting poor Jase at -15]

As the two brave, self-sacrificing warriors fade toward death, they hear more orcs emerging from the woods, surrounding the bodies and grunting angrily…
OUT OF CHARACTER
[ Sorry this went so badly for you; I actually toned down the encounter a bit from how it was originally planned …

GreenLab: Yasmin’s not quite dead yet, but I’m not certain the orcs can or will stabilize her. Since Lorn survived, we’ll leave her fate as uncertain for now.

Dink: Jase is totally dead. PM me and we can discuss options for a new character, if you’re interested.

Jayel: Yasmin stabilized Kolan before the end. The orcs might revive him so that they can torture him for information. PM me and we can discuss your options.]

 

Image

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Welcome to Perearth [ENDED]”