Life is the Pits

Geographically, Perearth is a world with some remarkable similarities to our own. But the similarities end there.
Post Reply
User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5869
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by patransom » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:36 pm

Tana moves to the southeast exit. This immediately opens into a very large chamber that apparently stretches off to the north, although Tana cannot see most of it from her vantage point. Her lantern is not needed here; the entire chamber is lit by a flickering firelight from somewhere to the north. You can all hear the crackling of a fire and the bubbling of some kind of liquid.

To the northeast, across the cave, Tana can see one of the pale dwarves (Duergar), clad in chainmail. He is facing northeast and doesn't seem to have seen Tana yet.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Gray on the map is just to block out what you can't see yet.

 

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

Ludyee
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:13 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Ludyee » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:27 pm

Tana uses hand signals and an almost inaudible whisper One Grey Dwarf thiry feet north. I will try to see if there are more.

Tana first sets down the lantern and then will attempt to stealthily creep into 1916 and 1915 to better ascertain what the size of the chamber is and who occupies it. If she can get a good peek she will then slink back and inform the others ever so quietly.

Move Silently and Hide: (1d20+9=12, 1d20+4=20)
Image
Image
"We're all gonna die." -Billy, Predator

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by tdsprouse » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:44 pm

Bram waits for further signals from Tana.
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Benji » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:37 pm

Lorn will simply wait for either movement from the front of the group, or a battle.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Dink » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:44 am

Rurak pets Hiroki to keep him calm, signing to him to keep silent.
Image Dungeon Master (2)

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by klakxor » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:07 am

Jericho remains hushed, not fully understanding Tana's hand signals but understanding that she need them to be quiet.

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5869
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by patransom » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:33 pm

Tana creeps farther into the room and, from her new position, finds she can see about half of it. The cavern is large, extending more than 50 feet to the north, and well lit by a fire pit in the center. Over the fire pit hangs a bubbling cauldron of what appears to be oil. A particularly ugly Duergar in a pointed helm stands at the cauldron, stirring it with a long-handled ladle and humming to himself. The other Duergar is keeping watch over a passage to the northeast. Neither of the two seem to have notice Tana.

Beyond the cauldron, chained to the north and eastern walls of the cavern are several women: four humans and three elves. They all look terrified. Tana recognizes one of the humans: Bronwyn, Lord Peredur's daughter!
OUT OF CHARACTER
The pictures of Bronwyn and the ugly Duergar aren't very visible in the map counters, so here they are on a larger scale

 

Bulgan.jpg
Bronwyn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Dink » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:13 am

Being a deepdigging dwarf, how would Rurak completely set up this dungeon or what would Rurak expect to find?
Image Dungeon Master (2)

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5869
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by patransom » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:15 pm

Rurak doesn't have any ranks in Knowledge: Dungeoneering or Architecture & Engineering, so he can't predict anything about the setup. He can tell this is mostly a natural cave system on which some recent work has been done to expand passages and smooth out floors.
Image

Ludyee
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:13 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Ludyee » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:30 am

Tana returns to the group (1715) to report what she has seen.

I have not seen the entire room beyond for fear of being discovered. But I have seen another grey dwarf, this one helmed and stirring a large cauldron over an open flame. More importanlty I have seen many women prisoners chained to the wall on the far side of the cavern. Included amongst them is Bronwyn.

Tana draws her kama as she mentions Bronwyn, clearly indicating her desire for immediate action. She looks the others in the eyes to determine if they agree.
Image
Image
"We're all gonna die." -Billy, Predator

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Dink » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:40 am

Rurak:
Are they chained the same way as the poor women, who died while we tried to free her?
Image Dungeon Master (2)

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by tdsprouse » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:29 am

Bram sets his pack on the floor, and draws his axes.

Well, this is it. Its been good traveling with you all. I hope very much to see you after.

he waits for the sign to go...
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

Ludyee
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:13 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Ludyee » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:28 pm

Dink wrote:Rurak:
Are they chained the same way as the poor women, who died while we tried to free her?
Tana Replies

The women are chained to the wall using ordinary iron chains and shackles, not like the device that killed Melissa.
Image
Image
"We're all gonna die." -Billy, Predator

User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Benji » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:27 pm

Lorn stretches before nodding his readiness to the others.
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

Ludyee
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:13 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Ludyee » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:11 pm

Assuming all of our whispering has garnered no attention to this point:

Tana whispers, I am going to try and put myself between the grey dwarves and the prisoners. I am quick and nimble and can hopefully get there before they can react. I want to make sure the prisoners are not harmed before we can get to them and if the ugly grey dwarf tries to topple that boiling cauldron, I intend to stop him.

With one last resolute look at everyone, Tana rushes around the corner in an attmept to catch the Duergar by surprise.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Not sure if there will be a surprise round with only a single action or what, but here is what Tana is trying to do. She moves all the way to 2009, which would be a double move. She will attempt to get there by way of 2012 and going around the Cauldron in whichever way would mean the fewest potential opposing attacks of opportunity. She can reach 1911 or 2111 in a single move. She will not move at half-speed to attempt a tumble, instead relying on her mobility to fend off attacks. For the round she declares Bulgan as her Dodge buddy. AC vs AOOs = 18, AC vs AOO from Bulgan 19.

 

Image
Image
"We're all gonna die." -Billy, Predator

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by tdsprouse » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:11 pm

Seeing that as a signal to go, Bram charges Druegar 1, ending at 2113.

Charge, +Skirmish (1d20+8=12, 1d6+1+1d6=5)
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by klakxor » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:09 pm

Ready when you are Jericho will prepare for them to enter the next room. He waits until the charge begins and everyone has moved in before he does.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Jericho is only planning to move in to 2116 so he can see as much of the room as possible.

 


User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Benji » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:33 pm

Lorn will imitate Jericho by waiting until the charge is over and then moving in to 2215
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5869
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by patransom » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:17 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Validation postponed briefly to resolve a couple of questions about players' planned actions; also maybe Rurak will post his plans for the surprise round...

PM's sent to those in question

 

Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5869
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by patransom » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:46 pm

SURPRISE ROUND

As Tana moves into the room, she is startled to see another Duergar standing right next to her! This Duergar had a readied action and slashes Tana with his dwarven waraxe [5 hp damage]. Tana tumbles away from the previously unseen foe and continues on her way, ending up behind Bulgan.

Bram and the others (except, apparently Rurak and his pet) also rush into the room.

Now that you are inside the room, you can see that there are more prisoners than Tana had previously reported. In addition to the humans and elves in the northern alcove, there are other prisoners chained to the western wall. These are four reptilefolk (possibly female, although it's hard to tell) and three female hobgoblins. The reptilefolk and hobgoblins begin hissing and yelling as they see the violence begin, while the humans and elves look on in terror. The exception is Bronwyn who, seeing Tana, mutters to her nearest neighbor, Wait, I know that woman.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Unfortunately for Jericho, he got a terrible initiative roll; he'll have to wait a validation to get him into the order...

Initiative Order:
ROUND 1 BEGINS
Lorn BlackHand
Rurak - 7 hp damage
Hiroki - 3 hp damage
Bram Drauthe - 7 hp damage
Tana Lattia - 12 hp damage
Bulgan
Duergar

----> Next validation
Jericho - 10 hp damage
ROUND 2 BEGINS
Lorn BlackHand
Rurak
Hiroki
Bram Drauthe
Tana Lattia
Bulgan
Duergar

----> validation after that

 

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by tdsprouse » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:14 pm

holy crows...

Bram evaluates his targets and charges the Dreugar in 1913 (he'll end up in 2014)

Charge Atk & Skirmish (1d20+8=23, 1d6+1+1d6=7)
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Benji » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:26 pm

Lorn takes a brief look at the situation before casting Scorching Ray at the Duergar in 2212.

Scorching Ray (Ranged Touch Attack;Damage) (1d20+2=13, 4d6=18)
Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

Ludyee
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:13 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Ludyee » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:45 am

Tana will keep Bulgan as her Dodge buddy.

Using her MW Kama she attempts a trip attack on Bulgan in hopes of putting him at a great disadvantage.

Melee Touch Attack: (1d20+6=14)
Strength check to trip Bulgan: (1d20+3=12)
If above fails and Bulgan tries to trip Tana in return: (1d20+3=12)
If that fails she will drop her MW Kama to avoid being tripped.

Should the trip succeed, she holds her MW Kama threateningly above Bulgan, Surrender now.

Once Bulgan gets to act, if he does anything giving Tana an AOO, if she still holds the MW Kama she will attempt to trip him again if standing or attack him while he is prone, otherwise she will attack with an unarmed strike.
Image
Image
"We're all gonna die." -Billy, Predator

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Dink » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:51 pm

Rurak ends in 2114 and command Hiroki to attack 2212 from 2213. If no longer alife Rurak lets Hiroki attack 1913.
Image Dungeon Master (2)

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5869
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by patransom » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:48 pm

ROUND 1

Whoosh! Lorn shoots a ray of flame at Duergar 1, who is now badly scorched!

Rurak trudges into the cave, ushering Hiroki ahead of him. Hiroki attempts to bite the burned dwarf, but misses.

Bram approaches the other Duergar, slashing him with one of his axes. [Bram could not charge because Rurak got in his way, but the result is still a hit and Bram doesn't have the AC penalty]

Tana attempts to trip Bulgan with her kama. Although she hooks his arm, he deftly turns the tables on her and tries to pull her off balance. Tana is too strong to fall, however.

Bulgan sneers at Tana and says in common, Foolish, ugly woman, you are no match for the king of dwarves! He steps away from her and begins speaking loudly and confidently in an unfamiliar language.

The other Duergar seem inspired by their leader's speech and attack with great ferocity. Duergar 1 slashes Hiroki [5 hp damage], then steps a little closer to the fire, saying something quietly to his master in the unknown language. Duergar 2 goes after Bram, but the scout proves an impossible target.

The hobgoblin prisoners howl with excitement, but the others remain silent.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Initiative Order:
ROUND 1 CONTINUES
Jericho - 10 hp damage
ROUND 2
Lorn BlackHand
Rurak - 7 hp damage
Hiroki - 8 hp damage
Bram Drauthe - 7 hp damage
Tana Lattia - 12 hp damage
Bulgan
Duergar

----> next validation

 

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

User avatar
klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Morrisville, PA
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by klakxor » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:25 pm

Jericho quietly says a prayer to Ugtargnt Lord, defend us with your power and bring forth your weapon to destory this enemy

Casting Spiritual Weapon in 1912 and is directing it to attack Bulgan

User avatar
Dink
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:06 am
Location: Germany, NRW, Hilden

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Dink » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Rurak and Hiroki both attack Duergar1. Rurak from 2213.
Image Dungeon Master (2)

User avatar
Benji
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 3033
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Portsmouth, England
Contact:

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Benji » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:20 am

Lorn uses his scroll of Bull's Strength on Bram.
OUT OF CHARACTER
+4 to strength for (I assume) three minutes.

 

Image Merisiel - Elven Rogue
Image Fyris Stormbender - Human Warmage
Image Laron Jilliet - Human Druid

User avatar
tdsprouse
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by tdsprouse » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:38 pm

Feeling Lorn's magic coarse through his body... Arrgh!!!

Bram takes a step to 2013, and throws two attacks into Duergar 1

Primary Axe (1d20+6=12, 1d6+3=4)
Offhand Axe (1d20+6=8, 1d6+3=4)

Anger flashed across Bram's face as he misses with both axes!
Image Fash Falath: Whisper Gnome
Image Tex Treebender: Dwarven Ranger
Image Simi Hasar: Human Paladin

Ludyee
Royal Guard
Royal Guard
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:13 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: [Active Thread] Life is the Pits

Post by Ludyee » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:03 pm

No fool am I to suffer your kingly delusions.

Tana will 5-ft step to 1910 and attempt another trip attack with her MW kama. Bulgan remains her dodge target.

Melee touch attack: (1d20+6=24)
Strength check to trip Bulgan: (1d20+3=9)
If above fails and Bulgan tries to trip Tana in return: (1d20+3=21)
If that fails she will drop her MW Kama to avoid being tripped.

Should the trip succeed, she holds her MW Kama threateningly above Bulgan, Surrender now.

Once Bulgan gets to act, if he does anything giving Tana an AOO, if she still holds the MW Kama she will attempt to trip him again if standing or attack him while he is prone, otherwise she will attack with an unarmed strike.
Image
Image
"We're all gonna die." -Billy, Predator

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Welcome to Perearth [ENDED]”