Fine Dining and Armed Men

Sharn, the City of Towers, is known as a place to find anything. As Night rises, this city's mettle will be put to the test.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Fine Dining and Armed Men

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:10 am

Known as one of the finest Restaurants in Sharn, Lorriel's is a wonder to behold. Lorriel ir'Tain, cousin to the Skyway ir'Tains, is a tremendous scholar. His studies of modern Brelish architecture have created a sensation throughout Sharn's upper class. He has designed an everchanging building. The tower literally alters its own architecture to Lorriel's whim. Every day, the style changes from modish angular styles to traditional to the impossible. Entering the restaurant is always a surprise to see what shape and form it will take.

The food of the restaurant is by far some of the best in the city. The cuisine is a mixture of Brelish and Cyran fare. For those of you used to the food of the lower wards, this food has flavors that simply cannot be experienced anywhere else.

Everyone is having a great time until twenty armed men enter the restaurant. "Everyone remain calm. We are here on urgent business for King Boranel. Everyone please have out your identification papers, and everything will go smoothly."

The twenty men, ignoring the identification papers, spread out and begin checking the backs of each customer's neck. "Excuse me, sir, but I will have to ask you to come with us." This phrase is spoken seven times to seven different individuals.

The seven of you are led to another tower in the district and taken all the way to the top. Once you are all in the room, a man enters the room and addresses those present. "Greetings. I am Jayleth, a Dark Lantern in the service of Breland. Please, introduce yourselves, as the seven of you will hopefully be getting to know each other very well. I will explain more after introductions."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:01 am

The large half-ogre steps forward and gives each person a long hard look. Moments pass until finally he just says the word "Grug". He then turns back to look Jayleth straight in the eye and points as him with his long meaty finger, "and Grug no like have his meals disturbed."

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:56 am

An Elvin male step forward next the Half Ogre. He is dressed in simple leather armor, two thin crossed sword on his back, and calmly juggling a couple of apples with one hand.

“Name is Jear. I have to say that I agree with my large friend here. Could you not have waited until the completion of what was turning out to be a very fine meal?”

The Elf stops juggling and takes a bite out of one apple. He offers the other to the half ogre. “Want one? Not as good as the rest of that spread, but good none the less…”

Jear then silently thinks to himself, “Jear’s Rule of Survival number 2: Always quickly make friends with the largest guy in the room.”

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by irdeggman » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:41 am

A tallish brown haired, blue eyed fair looking human (to the casual observer), grimacing from the half-ogre’s hug, politely says:

“Pleased to meet you Mr. Grug, Mr. Jear. My name is Goratash.”

Goratash then turns towards Jayleth and says demurely:

“Mr. Jayleth sir. I am merely a humble sculptor trying to enjoy the proceeds of a recent sale. I can’t imagine how I could be of assistance to the Dark Lanterns.”

Goratash is nicely attired and is carrying a rather plain looking backpack.
Last edited by irdeggman on Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:49 am

Rain, a black-haired elf, wanders into the room dressed in finely made clothing.

"Well, I'd put gold down that I won't be taking her out for a second date."

He smiles and offers a polite nod to the others who were lead up.

"I'm Rain, and it is my very good pleasure to meet you all."
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

Ceroill
BARON
BARON

Galeth steps forward

Post by Ceroill » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:20 pm

There was a Warforged in the lineup. At 6'5" he was not particularly large for his kind, and his grace of motion belied the stereotype of the blundering, lumbering oaf. He took a single step forward, turned to look at the one who had brought them here, then at the newcomer. "Galeth" was all he said, then he stepped back into line.

Unlike some of the others he had taken no offense at the situation. Being what he was, he had become rather accustomed to being confronted by the authorities on occasion, or singled out for attention. He did regret being taken away from that amazing meal. While he had no need to eat, he did enjoy occasionally tasting things. This experience had been delightful, as had observing the architecture and the other diners.

He went habitually into At Ease posture, awaiting further instructions.

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:23 pm

beltzclan wrote:The Elf stops juggling and takes a bite out of one apple. He offers the other to the half ogre. “Want one? Not as good as the rest of that spread, but good none the less…”
With a smirk on his face the ogre looks at the elf and accepts the apple. "Thanks" he says as he tosses the whole apple into his mouth and noisily chews it up.

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:58 pm

Another warforged appraised the group, he stood a fraction taller than Galeth. He did not bother stepping forward when attention turned to him. "I am Art. What is your business Jayleth and what is special about our necks?"

Art Analised the situation, the diverse appearences of the people summoned indicted they were not artificers, so this was not a regular business transaction. However the nearest thing to them had been the mercenary and adventure companies he had supported, so there could be oppertunities in this.

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:23 pm

Tech Trooper wrote:With a smirk on his face the ogre looks at the elf and accepts the apple. "Thanks" he says as he tosses the whole apple into his mouth and noisily chews it up.
Jear simply nods, and steps back to lean against the wall. Silently chewing the bit of apple, he surveys both the group and Jayleth. He also counts the number of potential exits from the room, and scans the walls wondering if any contain secret exits.

He gets that funny feeling between his shoulder blades, like when someone is fixing to poke a piece of steal between them.

This could be profitable - or deadly. Probably both...

Rule number 3: Trust no one.

He pulls up the cowl of his cloak and continues scanning the room, munching on his apple.

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:50 pm

Rain scratches the back of his neck at Art's question and looks a little uncomfortable.

"Whatever it is, Art, I really hope it's not terminal."
Image Rain Talayan
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:17 am

Art turned to Rain, "unlikely. Warforged are not effected by desease, therefore I conlude that this is not about quarentine."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:51 am

(Since everyone but Sunbolt posted, I will make this post. Sunbolt's introduction will have taken place before Jayleth continued)

Jayleth appraises everyone in the room, "I understand your discomfort, however, expedience was in order. We removed you from the restaurant for your own protection. Others may be looking for the seven of you, as well.

"As I mentioned, I am Jayleth, a Dark Lantern in service of Breland. The Dark Lanterns are the eyes and ears of King Boranel. We usually remain hidden, however, in times such as these, secrecy becomes less important than the security we are charged with.

"You seven may believe yourselves to be nothing more than common citizens, and you may very well be right. That may be all you have been your entire lives, but today, I ask you to become something more. I ask you to fulfill your destiny."

Jayleth moves to a table containing a large book. He lifts the book and extends it to the gathering as he continues his speech, "This is a portion of the Draconic Prophecies. Much of the chronology is obfuscated, but we have discovered a verse which indicates the seven of you as Breland's saviors."

Jayleth opens the tome and begins reading, "Please forgive me, I must translate from Draconic as I read this to you. 'Almost four and a half years after the breath of Garyx, as Falazure overtakes Bahamut, seven necks marked by Chronepsis dine under Syrania where Tiamat and Lendys meet in a building consumed by Garyx and Astilabor. Those with necks marked by Chronepsis are the ones who can face the Rising Darkness.'"

At this, Jayleth closes the tome, sure that his speech would convince everyone that he had acted in their best interests.

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:27 am

“Chronepsis. The great dragon God of fate, death, and judgment,” spoke the quiet voice of Jear still leaning back against the wall. “Bloody nice of the God to mark my neck and not inform me of it. And just how, Jayleth, did you come to know of this marking on the necks of seven strangers, when we did not know it ourselves?”

Jear struggles within himself to restrain his hand from reaching behind and feeling for some marking. Will… not… touch… Must appear calm in and in control.

If fate marked me, what did the God mark me for? Fodder? Great… I shall never restore my name now. I shall be to busy keeping my head firmly attached to my body.

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:33 am

Grug laughs out loud, rolls his eyes at Jayleth and then walks over to a large mirror hanging on the wall to look at the back of his neck......

Ceroill
BARON
BARON

Post by Ceroill » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:42 am

Galeth simply stood there. Only the other warforged could see any indication of the amazement and befuddlement he felt. Two of them with a greater destiny? Was this Onatar at work, helping the born folk see that the warforged were indeed posessed of souls? When had the mark been put there? He was certain that if it had been present from his creation it would have been noticed. Two warforged with an anomalous marking would have certainly been noted and studied! But there was an obvious question to ask. "Sir. Who else is seeking us?"

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:06 am

Jayleth takes the questions in stride, "These markings were foretold to dine in the restaurant where you were all dining. I knew of them by understanding the prophecy. Clearly it is correct, as here you all are, some with birthmarks, and the warforged with slight imprints in the shape of the constellation of Chronepsis.

"As for who else might be looking for you, that is anyone's guess. I don't pretend to know everything about Draconic Prophecy, but I don't like the sound of Falazure overtaking Bahamut. Falazure is the draconic god of Death and decay while Bahamut is the draconic god of Protection and good fortune. This rising darkness must have something to do with Protection failing our land and Death and decay replacing it. My money is on an invasion from Droaam. Our western borders have been pressed by those monsters for quite some time." Jayleth indicates to Grug, "No offense was intended towards you."

"Because Breland's biggest threat is probably from Droaam, I would recommend that you all keep watch for the Daask. They are Droaam's eyes and ears here in Sharn."

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:11 am

But there was an obvious question to ask. "Sir," Galeth inquired. " Who else is seeking us?"
Jear cut his eyes sharply to the the Warforged and stopped chewing on the apple. That hunk of metal is wiser than me. The hunk of fruit almost fell out of his mouth before he remembered to start chewing again.

Suddenly, if even possible, that daggar feeling between the shoulder blades grew even more intense.

No longer able to resist, Jear reached one hand back and began to rub the back of his neck.

"Great. No wonder that last meal was so good. It was my last meal..."
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:14 am

Art considered carefully. "How do we know this? Humans are excelent are creating things. How do we know that you serve the king of Breland, and that the book contains Draconic Prophecy?" He would keep the rest of his information to himself for the time being.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:37 am

Jayleth responded, "Believe me or don't. I was sent to warn and protect you. You are Breland's salvation, whether you choose to accept that fact or not. Keep in mind, it only says that you can face the darkness, not that you will. That is for you to decide. It also does not say how you will face it. Perhaps it means simply that you will go about your normal lives, and by not aiding the enemy, the armies of Breland will defeat them. Perhaps it means that you will lead the Brelish army to victory against the Droaam forces.

"The Draconic Prophecy cannot dictate your life. Only you can do that. All it can do is let us know the direction the world is turning. We used the prophecy to locate the seven of you. It is your choice what you do with this knowledge."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:39 am

Weighing his options of bolting to the door and running as far and fast from this room as possible or sticking around to see this through, Rain felt a little dizzy. Marked by a god? It was an interesting thought.

Under his breath he muttered something about balancing the scales and he leaned against the wall, crossing his arms and a faint smile crossed his lips.

"The how's and why's... I fail to see the importance. Nobody comes storming in to such a fine resteraunt as a practical joke or with malicious intent, not with so many witnesses. I'll stake good coin that this is for real."

He looked around to the rest of the chosen, and then to Jayleth.

"Count me in."
Image Rain Talayan
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

Ceroill
BARON
BARON

Post by Ceroill » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:44 am

Galeth nodded. From his recent readings on astronomy and draconic gods he could see how the references fit. Interesting. "I shall help."

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:59 am

Hmmm...
Last edited by beltzclan on Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:59 am

Rain. That's one. Not sure about him. A bit arrogant maybe? don't know yet. Sure of himself, for sure.

Art. A Warforged. Designed for combat. Yet for some reason he holds back. He presents many questions. Not sure about him either. He -is- skeptical, and I can't say I blame him.

Goratesh. A human claiming to be a simple artisan. Right... One to be watched for sure. What will he choose?

Grug. Don't usually like their kind. But for some reason I do. He'll go I'll bet. Just for the promise of some fun.

Gayleth. Another Warforged. A smart one... He's in as well. That makes two.

But what shall I do? Would I be better off alone? Or would the company of this bunch be a beter bet at retaining possesion of my head?

Oh why not...

Jear step away from the wall. "Fine. I'm in."

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:07 am

Art considered, this situation had too many unknown factors to be despirable, but the only way to reduce the factors was to agree to it. And potentially there was a lot fo knowledge to be gained from it as well.

"Very well. I agree. However I believe you are over examining the meaning of the words. 'as Falazure overtakes Bahamut' simply indicates stellar positions... tonight Falazure is higher in the sky, fulfilling the text of the prophecy."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:15 am

Jayleth nods, "This is true. It may very well be that the prophecy is already fulfilled. It was by the constellations that we were able to determine that the seven of you would be present in the restaurant on this night. However, passages of prophecy tend to have multiple layers of meaning. Not always, but frequently, a single passage can be used to foretell many simultaneous events. This is part of why prophecy is so confusing."

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:16 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Because with the posting speed its going to get lost quickly:

shai-hulud has posted a posting style guide here: http://theonlysheet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2421

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:24 am

Grug spent some time quietly looking at the birthmarks on the back of his neck. Could they really be something more than some colored bumps? Could I be meant for something more than fighting for coins? The Traveler does work in mystery and secrecy. He smiled and looked around the room at the others trying to decide the same thing he was. Why not do it. Should involve some killing and working for the king would have it's benefits.

Grug is brought out of his thoughts by Jayleth's comment. He gives him a big, toothy grin making sure to show the man their lethality. "No offense huumaan. I have no love of Droaam. Grug will join and fight."

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:30 am

"If it tends to be confusing, why do you sound so sure that it involves war with Droaam? To balance the scales of discussion, one could theorize that you are in fact orchastrating a war for your own gains. I mean, it's been done before."

Jear bites off another chunk of apple and starts chewing again. His eyes scan Jayleth intently looking for some outer signs of intent to show at the posing of his question...

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:38 am

"We have no proof that it is Droaam, only that Droaam is a threat and the prophecy seems to indicate that protection will be lost to death and decay. It is somewhere for you to begin. I am certain that there may be many more interpretations. Most of them will probably be correct, as well. As I said, prophecy tends to be fulfilled in more than one way."

Ceroill
BARON
BARON

Post by Ceroill » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:55 am

If he were human, Galeth might have blinked. "Of course. It is in the nature of omens and prophecy. Since no race can act in total isolation from the others, and likewise no god can, then it stands to reason that any prophecy or sign could well have meanings and significance well beyond the race of the gods or spirits that gave the sign or inspired the prophecy." He fell silent again, a bit surprised at himeslf.

Return to “{PbP} Sharn: The Rising Night [ENDED]”