Geased knights who don't sleep are quite erratic

Sharn, the City of Towers, is known as a place to find anything. As Night rises, this city's mettle will be put to the test.
User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:09 am

While grappling with the knight, Grug attempts to pin the knight down to the ground. He yells to the other party members around him, "Quick, take sword away and tie him up."

[OOC the net result I am trying for is to continue the grapple with the knight but have both of us knocked prone on the ground on our sides so that others can try to disarm the knight and/or tie him up while he is tangled up with Grug.]

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by draconas » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:58 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
The knights shield and sword will now be past painful and into damagingly hot from the heat metal spell[OOC]

With the grapple underway Art will grab at the knights arm and attempt to lock it to make Grugs life easier.

 


Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:36 pm

Sunim tries to snag the sword with his nunchucka.

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:35 pm

Auric moves (K-31) and casts a mage armor.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:32 pm

Galeth asks, "Boy. Has an old woman come this way?"

Sunim races around the group, looking for an opening to try to snag Kaurien's sword with his nunchaku, but the man is completely surrounded.

The boy looks startled and raises his hands in the air. He answers the question about the old woman by saying, "Yes, I think so ... she went that way" pointing back down the alley behind him. This boy is too frightened to lie to Jear or Galeth.

Grug tries to push Kaurien to the ground. Kaurien uses his mount for leverage. He easily avoids Grug's maneuver.

Art grabs Kaurien's arm, but it doesn't budge. Art just can't get any leverage.

Auric moves to a better vantage point, and with the wave of a hand and a word, he feels arcane energy encompass him, granting hima sense of serenity. He glows briefly with a silver aura as an invisible sheen of armor-shaped force surrounds him.

Goratash draws his dagger and calls to the knight, "Sir Kaurien, please stop this madness. If you wish to help us then explain to us what is causing you to behave this way. I am sure we can help." As he assesses the area, he realizes that this corridor is very far from anything in Sharn. Based on the distance travelled and the general grade of travel, you may have even gone further down beneath the city. It has been quite some time since you have seen drunken goblins or any of the typical creatures of the Cogs. Also, for an area that is not lived in, this corridor shows signs that it is well used. Goratash notices markings on the walls that almost blend in, but he is not certain of their significance. He also notices some crystal lining the wall. He recognizes it as crystal that would be affected or able to affect psionics. It is either not attuned to him, or not active at the moment, though.

Rain reaches into his bag and pulls out a coil of silk rope, a collapsable grappling hook already affixed to the end. (While in a grapple, the knight is flanked by all opponents, so Rain could leave and the knight would still be flanked).

The construct continues subduing Kaurien. Unfortunately, this blow is deflected off Kaurien's armor and the brunt of the power is simply absorbed.

Jear begins scanning the walls at what appears to Galeth to be a reckless speed. After twenty feet of movement, Jear discovers what he is looking for. Sure enough, there is a door that was built to look like part of the wall. It is very difficult to find, and Jear only noticed it by gut instinct. (Gotta love being an elf when looking for secret doors... Move at full speed and get auto search checks).

Kaurien's mount tries to grab on to his rider, as well. The two large creatures surrounding the knight just don't seem to be having any luck. After failing at that, the mount hits him with both claws, careful not to tear flesh, but misses with both wings and its tail.

Kaurien, using his mount for leverage again, manages to get Grug into a choke hold. [5 points subdual]. His then elbows Grug in the back of the head. Grug slumps down unconscious [6 points subdual].

Sunim, noticing an opportunity, rushes in next to the knight.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Since the knight is no longer grappling, I will not have him attempt a disarm roll, so I figured a normal attack, attempting to subdue, would be more likely.

 

Realizing that the knight is a very powerful opponent, Sunim tried to knock him out, instead. Still holding the nunchaku in case the opportunity presented itself, Sunim kicks at the knight, but finds only armor.

Jear, Galeth, and Goratash hear the sounds of something approaching. Goratash hears it from the other side of the wall he is beside while Jear and Galeth hear it from down the corridor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shai-hulud on Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
Ceroill
BARON
BARON
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

Post by Ceroill » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:37 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Do you mean that Galeth hears it coming down the 'alley', or down the main 'street'? If it's apparently in the 'main street', which way is it coming?

 


User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:47 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Down the alley, same direction as the boy pointed.

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:33 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
I updated Sunim's actions. I decided that it was not fair to penalize him for having a high initiative. Also, his action didn't make sense once he had an opportunity to act, so I changed it slightly.

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
Ceroill
BARON
BARON
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

Post by Ceroill » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:35 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Ok thanks

 

Galeth gives Jear a look, which even a non Warforged can easily interpret as 'Did you hear that?'. Looking back to the boy, he says, "Get to safety." Then he goes to be next to Jear, and to be ready for what comes.

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:31 am

Rain, seeing his new drinking buddy fall to the ground, drops the rope and draws his blades in a reverse grip. He tumbles backwards and out of the way of the knight and with a rather insane look in his eyes, he lunges forward in an attempt to stab the knight downward into the shoulders with both blades (expending an action point on the attack rolls) while screaming something completely unintelligable that should have been the strange language he was speaking earlier.
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:04 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Grug attempted the first stunt with his grapple/disarm combo move. That was a difficult stunt because it depended on opposed rolls. They are always more difficult to adjudicate. This stunt posted by Rain is a bit easier. He is describing something that is high action, and by the standard rules, should be impossible. Here is how it becomes a stunt. Nothing that is a part of this is an opposed roll. He makes a tumble check, that is a move action, then he makes a charge, that is a standard action (ordinarily, you cannot cannot make a charge after making a move action, but for the purpose of the stunt and the small distance, I can make an exception, although a penalty to the roll must be imposed. Since this is a minor issue, it would probably be a small penalty, like a -2. Next, he wants to attack with two weapons at the end of his charge. This mimics a feat from the PHB II called Two-Weapon Pounce. If he possessed the feat, he would be able to do that. Not possessing the feat, I assess a -4 non-proficiency penalty for performing an action which you do not possess the proficiency for. I find it silly that you cannot perform these actions unless you have the feat, so instead, I just assess penalties. He now has a -2 (moving and then charging) -4 (non-proficiency) +2 (charge) = -4. He also added an action point. I decide on the stuntiness of his action. It seems possible. It plays well for the imagination. It is not very dangerous--low probability of failure--I would probably rate this closer to a normal action, and rate it with few stunt points. Grug's action, on the other hand, was very risky. Combined with the large penalties, it got more stunt points. I don't want to tell you the numbers because honestly it is very subjective, and I don't want players to be getting involved in the calculations of stunt point. Perhaps I will come up with grading criteria someday, but for now, the system works as-is.

Anyway, if you want to attempt stunts, feel free. They are very beneficial if used properly.

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:55 am

[[OOC - Since he was knocked out because of subdual damage is Grug in any danger of dying if not healed? On another note, I don't think Grug is going to go for kind and gentle in the future. More like hit them in the head with his maul until they stop twitching. :wink: ]]

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:57 am

Auric feeling a little secured approaches towards Grug (M-33) and speaks, "Aid this fallen warrior, Elders." as he lays a hand at him.

OOC: Exchanges his Lvl 2 spell Enthrall for a Cure Moderate spell and casts it on Grug. (2d8+3)

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:16 am

Tech Trooper wrote:[[OOC - Since he was knocked out because of subdual damage is Grug in any danger of dying if not healed? On another note, I don't think Grug is going to go for kind and gentle in the future. More like hit them in the head with his maul until they stop twitching. :wink: ]]
No danger of dying. He is simply unconscious.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:03 pm

Jear draws an arrow once more and sights down the alley, his keen elven vision searching for the source of this new "sound".

"Two things, Galeth. One: I found a secret door. Two: I guess we have to wait to see what lays beyond. And three: I hope there is only one of what aproaches because I left my swords on the ground back by the knight. Wait... That's three things." Jear smiles at Galeth and offers up a wink.

"In my very humble opinion, I would like to say that destiny stinks like backed up sewer." He sights back down the alley and waits...
Last edited by beltzclan on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

User avatar
Ceroill
BARON
BARON
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

Post by Ceroill » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:20 pm

Galeth just nodded, in understanding of what was said, and took up his 'ready' stance. Jear might never have seen one quite like it, as he held no sword or club. Just his fists, and one of them was clad now in that oversized gauntlet. Now that looked like it would definitely hurt! He was trying to keep track of both the lad and the oncoming...whatever it was.

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:04 am
Location: Virginia Beach - VA, USA

Post by irdeggman » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:55 pm

Goratash has his construct maintain its past orders to subdue. {OOC 3 more rounds by my count/OOC}

He moves to J33 to get a better vantage point and sets to defend himself.

He also shouts to his allies in the immediate area

"Something is coming, I hear it behind this wall" and points in the direction of the sound. "We must be quick before what or who ever it is gets here."

Goratash spends the rest of his actions attempting to figure out what the writings could signify.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:31 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
What is Grug doing after Auric heals him?

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:22 am

Grug regains consciousness with a start. Where am I? That damnable knight! With a vicious sounding roar Grug gets to his feet and grabs his hammer. "No more games knight. Grug smash you good.", Grug says as he goes into a rage and attacks the knight.

[OOC - Using his magic belt to allow him to rage. Grug attacks with his hammer and uses an action point to make the most of the attack roll][/i]

User avatar
Ceroill
BARON
BARON
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

Post by Ceroill » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:35 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Can Galeth and Jear hear the others talking about something coming from their direction?

 


User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:39 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Yes, you are not too far apart.

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
Ceroill
BARON
BARON
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

Post by Ceroill » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:52 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Cool, thanks

 

Galeth gives a quick glance over his shoulder, back toward the others. Things are definitely noisy over there. So something was coming from that direction too? He said quietly to Jear, "It seems there may be an effort to surround us. Something approaches the others as well."

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:36 am

"Then we should retreat to the others to offer a unified defense!" Jear turns and sprints back the direction that he came. (OOC) I am asuming that the boy took off. Jear's intent is to make his way back as fast as possible. He will atempt to go into a handspring and retreive his swords from the ground and sheath them in one motion. After that he will want to make sure he is out of the way of the knight and then change back to bow. (/OOC)
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

User avatar
Ceroill
BARON
BARON
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

Post by Ceroill » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:43 am

Galeth nods, and likewise heads back to the rest. He is still being alert for surprises or ambushes. He will take up a position keeping an eye on the alley, but ready to go to the aid of any of his compatriots.

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by draconas » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:14 pm

With Grug falling and him being unable to aquire a pin Art gave up on sublties. Getting the knight back alive was less important than his own suvival and he slugged the man in the gut with his battlefist.

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:25 am

As Grug moves as much he states, "I do not know what is going on dragon, but your knight has changed sides?" ending his statement with a chant and unleashes a bolt of a fire ray at Kaurien.
OUT OF CHARACTER
Auric fires a Scorching Ray at the knight.

 


Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:53 am

Sunim tried to figure out what on earth possessed him to kick a night square in the armor when he had no intention of doing anything but trying to take the guys sword. He uses his speed and agility to tumble near enough to the night, strike at the man's sword hand with the nunchucka, grab the sword while the knight's hand spasms, and come up - out of the tumble jumping free of the melee.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:27 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sunny, I shouldn't have changed your action without asking first. Since it occurred at the end of the round, it is no problem to correct (which is why I posted the way I did. I should have said a little more clearly, but the goal was that if you wanted to continue with the disarm attempt, you would post that you wished to do so and I could post a correction).

 

Sunim does not attempt the kick I posted. Instead, he attempts to disarm the knight. The knight reacts a bit faster than Sunim was anticipating and strikes the Xeph before he has a chance to try to knock the sword away [7 hp damage]. Sunim is thrown off-balance by the blow and is unable to continue the disarm attempt.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:40 am

Sunim smirks at the knight - a worthy opponent, apparently - and snaps his nunchucks at the man in a flurry of blows - aimed at the sword arm, to weaken the man's grip for a future attempt. These attacks are clearly not fatal or going to do permanent damage to anything but the knights arm...

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:21 pm

Before Galeth and Jear have finished telling the boy to flee, he gets moving. He travels into the main corridor and looks back at the fight between Kaurien and the others.

Rain, at this point frustrated beyond words, drops his rope and draws his blades as he tumbles backwards out of reach of Kaurien, his amazing acrobatic skill never giving Kaurien a chance to swing. His blades come out in a flash, seemingly from no where. He then rebounds from his backflip into a lunge directed for Kaurien with both blades in a reverse grip. His lunge clears almost three feet off the ground, and as he comes down, Kaurien deflects one of the blows with his shield, but the second blade finds a weakness in the knight's suit of armor.

Goratash's construct continues its attempts to subdue the knight. It crashes its ectoplasmic fist into the knight who reels a bit from the blow.

Sunim whirls his nunchaku and a powerful blow strikes the knight's arm. Unfortunately, he only manages to strike through the knight's armored arm once.

Jear attempts to see what is coming for him, but whatever it is has not come within view yet. He then moves back towards the group, and towards where he dropped his swords.

Goratash attempts to decipher the strange writing on the walls, but to no avail. It looks completely foreign to him.

The dragon, seeing Rain's anger, turns and yells, "Svabol re wux bytiig?!? Si geou ti origato wux venoch ukta! Jaci ui ti putole hesi letoclo! Spical stoda usv fothisev ve!"

Auric moves up to the fallen Grug, lays a hand on him and says, "Aid this fallen warrior, Elders."

Galeth also readies himself for what is to come. Galeth notices shadows in the distance merging and separating. He cannot tell how many approach, but he can tell by the speed they are travelling that they will arrive in a couple of moments. Galeth then proceeds to follow Jear while keeping his eyes down the alley.

Art, frustrated as well, attempts to slug Kaurien. He slams the knight in the gut, but his blow is deflected by armor.

Kaurien, wounded by Rain's attack, focuses on the elf. His first attack slashes a large gash across Rain's chest. Still not 100% after that meal he ate, this blow took a lot out of him [13 hp damage]. The knight's second swing drops Rain in a puddle of his own blood [10 hp damage]. The knight then turns on the construct. Two slashes seem to have done some damage to the construct.

Grug rises to his feet, grabbing his hammer as he does. Kaurien takes the opportunity to slash him again [11 hp damage]. Grug then crashes his maul into the knight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Sharn: The Rising Night [ENDED]”