OOC Discussion

Sharn, the City of Towers, is known as a place to find anything. As Night rises, this city's mettle will be put to the test.

How to handle initiative?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:48 pm

Rigid, I post initiative and everyone posts in that order
25%
Loose, I figure initiative, and everyone posts what they want to do. May cause some actions to fail, may cause attacks of opportunity, but also might benefit the party when enemies make mistakes.
38%
Don't care, whatever everyone else chooses (DM is voting here)
38%

Total votes: 8

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

OOC Discussion

Post by irdeggman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:00 pm

I thought we might need a thread to post OOC discussions.

First question is - how do we handle combat?

Initiative order?

Etc.

I don't want to post actions when it isn't my turn, since most of the time who goes first directly affects everyone else's decisions.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:29 pm

Well, how do you all feel about attacks of opportunity? If you are worried about them, then we need to keep to a strict initiative order so that characters don't move through areas that become threatened during the round. Truthfully, I think people go overboard trying to avoid attacks of opportunity. I would prefer a less rigid approach. This will sometimes force characters to take attacks of opportunity, but it will also afford them attacks of opportunity when enemies move through threatened squares.

If we go with a strict order, then enemies will avoid attacks of opportunity, as well If we have a looser arrangement, then you post your actions for the round. If the situation changes, so be it. I will roll initiative every round so that if you are at the bottom of the round once, it will not necessarily be for the entire combat. This way, some rounds you will be able to avoid attacks of opportunity, and others, you just have to hope for the best. This also allows enemies who think they have time to move somewhere move through a threatened square they did not think was threatened. Feats like Combat Reflexes become far more useful in situations like this, but I leave it up to you all as players to decide.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:44 pm

Looser works for me. Grug likes giving out attacks of opportunity. Just don't forget that Large & In Charge feat he has. Got to love pushing enemies back out of threat range. :wink:

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by irdeggman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:45 pm

Personally I feel that AoO are a core part of the game. There are numerous feats and actions designed to take advantage of that mechanic.

I would hate to deny our monk the ability to avoid AoO with his unarmed strike or to be able to take one.

But I will go with the group.

Hey isn't this type of thing a good use of those Stunt thingies you talked about anyway?

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:01 pm

(Poll added at the top of this message)

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by irdeggman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:05 pm

I'm in (validate me), I just don't want to post my actions until the combat mechanic is decided.

It is your, so I'll follow whatever you decide - I just want to make sure I'm not out of bounds.

I didn't state it but I'm for a more strict system.

Here is my logic - my PC's most powerful manifestation is a 1 round manifesting time. If I'm not careful I could easily post (and take) so many actions that pretty much all of the other PCs will be left behind. Psions can do some severe dumping for a single combat.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:18 pm

irdeggman wrote:I'm in (validate me)
This poll automatically validates your votes so that everyone can see the current total :)
irdeggman wrote:Here is my logic - my PC's most powerful manifestation is a 1 round manifesting time. If I'm not careful I could easily post (and take) so many actions that pretty much all of the other PCs will be left behind. Psions can do some severe dumping for a single combat.
With a loose posting structure, if you post more than one round's worth of actions, I will split it up across multiple rounds.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:29 pm

Hmm, how about this. We will try a combat with the easiest style, and if people are unhappy with how it works, we switch it. For this combat, we will use the loose style of posting where everyone posts their actions for the round and when I validate, I post in order of the initiative for the round.

I am making this ruling not because I don't care about irdeggman's comment, but because a more rigid posting system will require coordination among all of the players to make sure that they know when they need to post, they will need to wait for everyone before them in the initiative to post, and if those at the top of the initiative are waiting for this poll to come to a close, we are not going to have anyone post before the validation. Please continue voting here, and after this combat is over, if the majority would prefer the rigid initiative-post order system, we will try it out after that, when everyone will be on the same page.

So, for this combat, post your actions for the round, and I will validate the actions on Friday. Tech Trooper has already posted, even though he is not first in the round. If you post that you are performing an action that is based on another's, and you come higher in the initiative, your initiative will be reset to after another's action (I take it to mean that you were looking around to determine what you wanted to do...)

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by irdeggman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:50 pm

No problem.

Loose is probably easier and definitely takes less effort (and time).

Ceroill
BARON
BARON

Post by Ceroill » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:30 am

Sorry, I only found this today. Voted. Hope I haven't held erveryone up too much.

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Crit Hit Tables

Post by irdeggman » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:54 am

Deleted - move to rules discussion

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by irdeggman » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:21 pm

Just to let everyone know that my work has blocked this site so the only time I can check and post will be at home (slows down my posting and replies).

Return to “{PbP} Sharn: The Rising Night [ENDED]”