Game Direction

Sharn, the City of Towers, is known as a place to find anything. As Night rises, this city's mettle will be put to the test.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Game Direction

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:55 am

The beginning of this game is going much the way that I envisioned. It is confusing for everyone, but I hope that is not diminishing its fun. The first NPC that you all met indicated that regardless of what all of you wound up doing, make sure you believe in what you are doing. Since then, you were given a task to discover what Droaam is doing. You are to join those protecting Breland from enemies, foreign and domestic. You accepted the task and began gathering information.

Once you got there, I provided a contact, and a distraction. Rather than speaking with the contact, you followed the distraction. The distraction had one of two possibilities. You could talk to him and dismiss him, or you could talk to him and go with him. You chose to go with him. That led to trouble, but not trouble without reason. Consider what you were told by him. He gave you all a lot of information about his situation. You discovered that he had a choice. He was to kill you all or bring you to where he brought you. He initially was going to lead you there, then changed his mind. Was he derranged, working in his best interests, or simply random? No one has looked into it at all.

After the fight, three group appeared in very little time. What happened that could allow three groups to appear so quickly? How long was that fight? 42 second? And yet three groups appeared. What was written on the walls? Only Goratash investigated. What was behind the secret door? No one had a chance to find out. All of these are potential hooks that you can follow. I recommend finding something that you all believe in and working towards it. If the defense of Breland does not interest you, let your contact know that you decline his offer. If you would prefer to go on a quest to stop a demon lord from entering the world, do that, but don't let any distractions stop you.

If you can, plan ahead. If you can manage two or three missions, excellent, but try to complete them all. Once you have reached your limit, say enough is enough. You have a mission scheduled for two weeks in advance and a current mission that you are working on. You have tons of hooks for individual plot development, including the Sharn Inquisitive, which I will continue to update. Each of you has backstory that you can continue in your downtime, or get together and work on another mission. It is all up to you.

If you feel that I am railroading you, ignore the hooks. There are definitely too many to follow all of them. Try to find the adventures that sound the most fun, and make sure that if I offer a distraction that you are not interested in, turn it down.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:21 am

Personally I appreciate the effort you are putting in the game and to make it as real as possible. In my spare time I am playing Oblivion and love all the side quests. It works really well when you are playing by yourself or even if all of us are huddled around a table gaming for hours at a time.

My concern here, however, is that with so many different things going on and our focus changing for one thing to another that it seems like we aren't getting anywhere in the game. Take for instance the last episode with the knight. That little piece of question asking and combat in the ally took us a month of posts and in the end we weren't successful in combat, we didn't really aquire any xp, and now we have another 3 (or more) possible avenues to go as a group which will take probably another week of posts to figure out how we want to proceed from here.

Maybe it's just me but I like getting some results in D&D. That being said, I love the setting, my character, and the group. I just don't to see us self destruct from lack of direction or too many choices.
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:00 am

To keep things moving, what's everyone's opinion on me continuing the adventure? If anyone is interested in purchasing any items or requesting any aid for others to travel with you, let me know in the current thread for Deathsgate. I will start a new thread to continue the plot of the game while that thread is more for roleplaying (of course, there is always the possibility of something unexpected happening, which may alter the course of the game. I am not planning anything, so that would be entirely up to the party.)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:13 am

Art would like to pop back to his workshop to pick up his packmate, however i don't know how practical that is timewise. Otherwise good to go,

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:09 pm

Grug is good for now.
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+