Back to Blackbones

Sharn, the City of Towers, is known as a place to find anything. As Night rises, this city's mettle will be put to the test.
User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Back to Blackbones

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:38 am

[This thread is going concurrently with the tavern thread. I am not expecting any fighting in that thread, so it is a roleplaying thread while this is meant to continue the action of the campaign]

Bringing full glasses of ale with them from the tavern, the party spends fifteen minutes returning to the Blackbones district. From here, Rain begins directing them back to the door. The pathways are unfamiliar to him, so it is slow going. What was only a two hour journey the first time takes close to four to return. Rain is sure, however, that next time he will not have any trouble making it back here. It is now fairly late (the sun would be down if you could see the sun). But, without too much trouble, you arrive back at the door. The little boy and the beggar woman are nowhere to be seen, but Galeth spots a goblin as you arrive at the door. He was cleverly hidden in the shadows, but a glint from something metal gave away his position. He does not seem to notice that he has been spotted, even after Galeth points him out.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:59 am

I am not having a Goblin ruin my discovery of what lays beyond the door. It has been burning in my mind since I found it. And I am done waiting for others to strike at me first if I can help it.

Jear, facing away from the Goblin, unslings his bow in mock attempt to redistribute his pack. He rubs his shoulder a second, then goes to one knee as if adusting his boot. But then suddenly nocks and arrow, pivots his body to face back towards the Goblin, and lets fly aiming center mast. He waists no time, but continues to fire as rapidly as he can.

"HERE'S YOUR CHANCE , GRUG! BUT KEEP HIM ALIVE FOR QUESTIONING!"
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:56 am

Jear spins around, firing an arrow at the goblin. The shot grazes the goblin's armor and is deflected into the wall behind him. He regroups and casts a spell, but no one in the party got a good look at what it was. Then he just stands there, staring at the party. (Jear went in the surprise round, then the goblin won initiative. Everyone can now make an action. Jear's action for the round is to fire another arrow. I am not going to draw up a tactical yet, so if it becomes necessary, try to describe your relative positioning to each other based on the picture in the other thread. I doubt a tactical will be necessary.)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:31 am

Grug is alerted to the goblin after Jear yells and upon spotting the creatures charges him with his maul.

{If Grug can make it to the goblin this round he will charge and attack with his maul when he gets within 10ft of him. +12 attack 2d8+6 dmg}
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

User avatar
Ceroill
BARON
BARON
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

Post by Ceroill » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:12 am

Galeth spots a second goblin, trying to escape. Not bothering to say anything, since time is of the essence, but runs after the little beastie, and attempts to strike to stun. If successful he will go for a grapple, and try to capture the goblin.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:21 am

"Goblin 2" is all Sunim mutters as he also runs after the goblin - putting on a burst of speed he passes Galeth by going closer to the wall... the next thing you know - he's walking on the wall - his body pointing sideways - he quickly gains height and then leaps onto the goblin, tackling him and dragging him down - using both his weight and his improved grapple to excellent(?) effect....

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:04 am
Location: Virginia Beach - VA, USA

Post by irdeggman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:07 am

Goratash activates his "armor" and the second skin spreads over him.

He then gets out his crossbow, just in case.

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by draconas » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:35 am

Art shoots at goblin 1 with his crossbow. This was annoying, he had hoped that he would ahve come time to prepare for a fight before they went through the door.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:39 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Rain has not posted, but it doesn't matter too much for this situation.

 

Jear fires another arrow at the goblin. What looked like a direct hit seems to have not phased the goblin at all. He isn't even bleeding.

Auric and Rain figure everyone else has the situation well under control and wait to see what happens.

Sunim races after a second goblin he noticed. As he jumps from the wall, he tackles the goblin. The goblin, in shock, holds very still, not even struggling against his captor.

Grug runs up to the goblin that Jear has been firing at and takes a swing, only to find that his maul goes straight through the illusion's head.

Galeth catches up to Sunim (and the downed goblin) and helps to hold him down (which is very easy since he is not putting up a fight at all).

Goratash's armor activates and surrounds him.

Art decides not to shoot at the goblin, since he saw Grug's maul go straight through its head and not harm it.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:26 am

Grug is very surprised when the maul passes through the goblin. "What is this drek!", he shouts and looks to his friends for help understanding what just happened.
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:08 am

Rain approaches the downed goblin with a look of frustration, disdain, and anger. He unsheathes a dagger and places it to the goblins throat.

"You've got one chance to walk away from this. Start talking. Why are you here? Who sent you? What's with the illusion? I want answers, and I want them now. If I am satisfied, you can go home to your family. If I'm not..."

He press the tip of the dagger against the goblin's throat.
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:30 am

The goblin chokes and in a pleading voice says something that no one understands.

Auric walks over to the goblin and casts a spell, touching the goblin. (For those of you with spellcraft, it is Comprehend Languages). After some more prodding by Rain, the goblin begins chattering again, and Auric translates.

"He says, 'Don't kill me! I will serve your master!' He just keeps repeating that."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:38 am

"Auric, translate please.

Alright, first: Why are you here?

Second: Who do you serve?

Third: What's with the illusiuon?

If I'm satisfied by your answers, you'll live and serve under me and my group until we release you, or death does."
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:46 am

Auric replies, "I cannot speak the language, I can only understand his responses. Perhaps someone knows pantomime and can gather some information from him."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:53 am

Rain begins trying to imitate the goblin's speech patters, hoping that he says something in its language.

Auric begins translating the flurry of speech that the goblin throws out, "I live here. We saw you come with the shiny man. We are always here and there. When you started fighting, we knew you were powerful. We watched as you spoke to the bearded man. Now that you serve his masters, we wanted to watch if you were coming for us. I was chosen to watch you. When you noticed me, I tried to run. Stupid of me, I know, but I am not very bright. I tried to distract you so you would not notice me, but you noticed. Now, I will serve your masters. Please don't kill me! I will serve loyally! I promise to always serve loyally!" The goblin is crying.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:54 am

Rain sheathes the dagger and helps him up.

"Do you have any useful skills?"
OUT OF CHARACTER
Edited for coherency

 

Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:11 pm

Rain is not quite able to get his meaning across and the goblin dumps out everything in his sack. He has a bunch of knick-knacks that are of no real value, a set of rudimentary thieves' tools (the normal -2 penalty is lessened to -1), and what Auric informs you is components for spells. Given that he is not very bright, he is probably a sorcerer.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:42 pm

Grug stands guard a little further down the alley while the others question the goblin.
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:00 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
A bit of the storyline because many of you seem unsure of what you should be doing. You are able to find another goblin in the area who can translate. Your captive is a member of the Quiet Folk, a goblin clan whose territory is located under Tavick's Landing. They are generally a peaceful clan who rely on stealth and knowledge of the sewers as opposed to force, and they can be useful allies for a party of adventurers. The one you have captive, you have scared half to death. His name is Rak. Because you captured him, he can never return home. Apparently, his entire clan is deathly afraid of Khklkhd and his masters. Because you have been in peaceful contact with him, they assume that you work together. Because of that, they wanted to know your intentions in their territory. Rak was sent to watch you. Another goblin was sent to watch Rak. If Rak was able to escape, he would go home and all would be well, but since he was captured, he now belongs to you as servants of Khklkhd. You could release him, if you choose, but he will probably die on his own.

 

Further investigation of the door indicates that it was not meant to be opened from this side. Additionally, some powerful force seems to keep it shut. Auric casts a spell, scanning the area, and confirms that the door has an abjuration that is sealing it shut. He does not have a spell prepared to handle that, so the easiest route may be a swift kick by Grug.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:16 pm

Rain pats his pet goblin, Rak, on the head.

"Good Rak."

and makes it a point to buy the book: "Goblin, as a second language??"


He helps the goblin pick up his things and thinks about what the little bugger could do around the shop. Maybe a little training to teach him how to better handle things?

He shakes his head a moment and wonders if Rak will even survive the day.
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:20 pm

"OK, Rain. Why don't you have a look and see if you can find any traps. No offense but you appear to better suited for that task than I. Barring you don't find any, I am all for setting the Grug loose on it. I am tired of all these distractions. Let us see what's behind door number one."
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:29 pm

Grug starts to take some practice swings with his maul. :wink:
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:47 pm

Sunim starts with a sense motives roll to see if the goblin can be trusted given the situation...

"Well, I caught you... So until such a time as we can reunite you with your people unscathed, you may stay - but if you betray my friends - there will be a life for you that will leave you wishing for nothing but death. Do you understand me? The good news is, that if you actually are loyal - I will protect you as I protect all my friends."

I'd say make a bluff role - only he's not bluffing - Sunim will kill the goblin if he betrays us, and protect him if he doesn't.

Sunim then helps the little guy to his feat.

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:33 pm

Rain spends a good amount of time poking around the door. After a few minutes of tapping, poking, prodding, and examining...

"Grug, please remove this door from it's hinges."
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:51 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Because Grug was waiting on that, I assume he follows through.

 

Grug lifts his maul and with a powerful crash, slams it into the door. The door dents horribly. After about 10 swings, however, the door seems barely more damaged than after the first. No one in the party has any idea what might be causing this phenomenon. Finally, after close to four minutes of Grug hammering away at the door, it's hinges finally give, and the door falls from the frame. As this happens, a loud noise sounds from inside. Art and Auric recognize an Alarm spell. Given the amount of dust rising from inside the building, you doubt anyone within will hear it. Rak gets skiddish at the noise and runs to Rain for protection.

The dust begins to settle, and the obnoxious noise was rather short lived (it only lasted about six seconds). Inside is pitch dark, but you can make out what to Goratash is immediately apparent as old Riedran style architecture. Amazingly, this is a tower from old Sharn that had been built over after its collapse.

Ahead, the inky darkness seems to swallow the small amount of light from the lanterns around you. Grug can see fine for 60 feet, but everything is in black and white. Aside from a different style of architecture, it looks much like a normal tower in Sharn. (I didn't check who else has darkvision, but anyone with darkvision can see fine obviously).

So, does anyone have light?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:31 am

Jear slings his bow and steps forward to look closely at the entrance floorway and walls looking for any signs of a trap. He his certain that Grug would have already set it off, though you can never be too sure.

"What do you think, Rain? See anything?"

As anxious as he is to step inside and get to work satisfying his curiosity, experiance has taught him to allow more armoured individuals to lead the way. If Rain sees nothing, he will step back and follow Grug or another through first.

(OOC) I also would have retrieved the two arrows I had fired if they weren't damaged. Probably before Grug got a good work out on the door. (/OOC)
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:04 am
Location: Virginia Beach - VA, USA

Post by irdeggman » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:16 am

Goratash reaches into his backpack and takes out his Everbright Lantern for light.


"Perhaps this will help."

"Show caution when proceeding. This is the architecture of those who serve the Dreaming Dark. It is not a good sign.

Why it is protected by magic is the puzzling thing though."

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by draconas » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:06 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Gah sorry I couldn't post last night. There will probably be one or 2 spells form art before and during the door hammering. Will do them this evening.

 


User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:07 am

Grug, a little tired from the hammering but proud of his efforts, looks to the others once the entrance has been inspected. "You want Grug go first?"

[[OOC how tall/wide is this tunnel?]]
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:45 pm

"This place is ancient. If my memory servers correct, this was part of the original city. Pre-Galifer war era, I believe. After the city was razed, an attempt to rebuild seemed nearly futile to surface dwellers. Then the dwarves came, and opposed to rebuilding from the ruins of the past, they filled the city in and rebuilt on top. This appears to be one of the remaining towers."

He shakes his head at Grug.

"It may be best if I head in first. Who knows what, if anything, is left in here that could prove to be a nasty surprise."

Using the light from the lantern, he narrows his eyes and peers in deeper, then take a few cautious steps inside.

"Well, the first few feet seem alright, let's head in. Just watch your step."

Rain's usually carefree attitude seems to have vanished completely. He scans each step carefully, looking for loose stones, trip wires, and other such nasty trap triggers. Apparently, he is in "work" mode...
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Sharn: The Rising Night [ENDED]”