Asleep at last

Sharn, the City of Towers, is known as a place to find anything. As Night rises, this city's mettle will be put to the test.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Asleep at last

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:17 pm

With Goratash's concerns unanswered, a shifter gang member on the loose, and undead rats below, everyone settles for an uneasy night's rest. Keeping watch, Art and Galeth ensure that there is no activity from the outside door or the trap door. Only once did the trap door seem to budge, but the clasp kept it shut.

The outside door, however, was jarred once by a large crashing sound. It didn't budge. Grug had wedged it in too tightly, and with the rod holding it in place, it didn't allow entrance.

Other than those two disturbances, the night was peaceful. Rak found a normal (not undead) rat, and made a little fire to cook it. If anyone is interested, he can catch rats for everyone, but it will take some time. Otherwise, what is everyone doing?

Other notes:
  • Battle and story XP
    RP XP
    • Art--I like the recent character interaction. 550
      Auric--Abscent due to surgury. Good RP at the start. 150
      Galeth--Not too much RP yet. I would like to see more character interactions, or perhaps some goals. 300
      Goratash--Excellent RP. Clear motivation for adventuring. Looks at everything through a psion's eyes. 600
      Grug--Very enjoyable performance. Good character development. Consistent roleplay. 600
      Jear--Excellent roleplay. I love the character development and inner conflicts. 600
      Rain--Excellent at first, little slow in the middle, but has picked right up again. 600
      Sunim--Quiet most of the time, but when he has a point to make, he makes it. I like that. It suits him. Especially the bluntness. 600
Healing: Everyone heals their level (except Grug who heals 1.5x his level due to healing). That is 6 hp to everyone (and those with Con damage healed).
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:14 pm

The next morning Jear approaches Grug and asks him if he would carry His length of rope and the Rod for him, telling him the extra weight limits his movement. Assuming that Grug agrees, he next pays Rak for a couple of cooked rats for breakfast using a couple more pieces of cheap jewelry. He tells him that he is still owed a few more favors for the cost of the trinkets.

"But there is more to be earned provided you stay loyal to us." Jear says and winks at him.

"So now what? Presuming that we are headed back down the hatch, are there any suggestions on how to deal with the really big undead rats? Other than the preferred Grug method of just laying into them."
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by irdeggman » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:56 pm

Goratash says:

"Before going down the trap door, why don't we check out the other door and see if there is another way down first?"

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:57 pm

"My thoughts exactly."

Not waiting for anyone to dispute this plan, Jear looks at Rain, "Rain? If you don't mind checking out the door for traps and such?"
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:37 pm

Rak is able to scrounge up enough rats to prepare meals for three people (natural 20 on his survival check :-P). He takes out his spices and starts to prepare. Jear, smelling the familiar spices, thinks twice before eating the goblin quisine. Rak doesn't understand any of what he is told. He merely does his best to please his masters. He seems pleased when you offer him anything. He seems confident that he is performing exceptionally.

I assume that Rain searches for traps on the door [Catalyst is at work right now]. Finding none, he opens it. It leads out into the old tower proper. It appears similar in some respects to the structure of many Sharn towers, with passages leading this way and that. The design, however, only Goratash is familiar with.

Currently, there are two directions to travel. To the left, the passage spirals downward. To the right, upward.

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:27 pm

Jear searches the floor looking for tracks or disturbances in the dust. He also scans the wall looking for anything out of the ordinary. Where there a building with one secret entrance, there is usually another. He runs his fingers along the wall and scans the floor...

"I know we are heading down, but I would wager that the pathway up leads to another newer tower above us, with maybe a secret entrance. It may be another alternative out of here whe we ready ourselve to leave.

Rain I hate to volunteer you, but would you care to lead the way down?"

(OOC) Jear will let another larger person go after Rain and then will try to go third. (/OOC)

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:56 pm

"I don't mind being volounteered at all, Jear. This is, after all, my speciality. Though..."

His voice trails off for a moment.

"...please forgive me if I do not seem myself for the time being. There are matters in my head which need working out."

He looks down either direction, and pulls a length of rope from his bag.

"I just ask that you simply trust me on this one."
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:29 am

Rain begins travelling to the right, up the spiral, instead of to the left as Jear had suggested.

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:42 am

"Umm.... So are we suppossed to follow you?"

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:31 am

[To keep things moving, I will post for Rain regarding what we had discussed previously]

Rain nods, "Yes, please do." Then proceeds to walk up the spiral. About 500' later, he stops at a grate. He had not been checking for traps the entire time. He grabs a crowbar from his pack and tries, to no avail, to pry off the grate.

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:33 am

Once the party is ready to move out Grug gets up and follows behind Rain but gives him a little longer lead so Rain can search for traps. Upon reaching Rain at the grate, he asks "You need help?"
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:48 am

With Grug's help, the rusted grate pops off. Rain walks inside, stopping just past the entrance. He holds out his rope, and with the flick of his wrist and a strange word, his rope takes on a life of it's own. He drops it to the ground of the passage he is in, and it seems to fall through the passage floor. He swings it slightly and says "Tie and knot". He waits for a moment, then tries pulling on it. Unsatisfied, he says "Untie", swings it again and repeats, "Tie and knot". This time, giving it a tug, it seems secure. He then ties the other end of the rope to the floor beneath him (his hand passing through the floor at times).

"Be careful as you descend. There is a trap at the bottom. When you reach the bottom of the rope, swing your feet to the platform through the illusory wall. It will make sense when you get down there. As you walk around down there, keep to the diamonds. The circles are pit traps and the squares are pressure plates for poison darts. So long as you keep to the diamonds, you will be safe."

That said, Rain leaps through the passage floor.

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:49 am

Jear looks on, seemingly agitated that they have went the wrong direction. He begins to even look worried as the try to get past the grate. Once Rain pulls his rope trick, however, he stares open mouthed.

"...Bloody hell..."

He looks at Grug. "You going next big guy? Or do we let a warforged follow for a change?"

It's a good thing I don't own a rope like that. A bloody good thing...

(OOC) Jear will want to go third down the rope and this time switch to bow when he gets down. (/OOC)

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:15 pm

Art will prepare grugs maul and his battlefist with the flaming augmentation and create another blast rod (all alst for 1 hour).

Once in the new area he methodically examined both the traps and anything else he sees there for clues on the origin of the building or how it all fits together.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:42 pm

What is the order in which everyone goes down?

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:30 pm

(OOC) Rain already went, and then if we stay true, Grug follows with Jear close behind. There is your first three. (/OOC)

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by irdeggman » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:06 pm

Goratash follows where it is convenient, behind the goblin though.

Keeping an eye out for anything "suspicious".

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:58 pm

Grug follows Rain down the rope to see what lies ahead.
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

TOS 100+

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:13 pm

At the bottom of the rope, Jear moves aside to make way for the next person down. He is careful of where he steps, and calls out to his big friend.

"What is wrong, Grug? And where is Rain?" He opts for no weapons for now, wanting free hands for balance and whatever this room is going to throw at him.

"Where are you going? I would stay put until the rest arrive..."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:37 pm

Next comes Auric, followed by Rak and Goratash, then Art and Galeth, with Sunim taking up the rear for defense. As more start piling onto the ledge, there is not enough room for Jear to stand there. He needs to move on.

For those newcomers, I needed to see what they would do when they first dropped down. Here is what happened. As each person dropped down into the pit trap, the rope is tied about ten feet from the bottom. As each person reaches the bottom of the rope, their shoulder is partially sticking through the side of the pit trap (indicating the illusory wall that Rain had mentioned). Had the rope not been there, you would have had no way to discern the location of the opening. It is not very large, about wide enough for two people to stand shoulder-to-shoulder, and as each of you slides onto the ledge, looking down the corridor, you see those ahead of you. Grug seems to have decided to go on ahead, picking his path very carefully. How, exactly, he has chosen that path is anyone's guess. His footprints through the dust start off down the right side of the corridor, hugging the wall. Grug was so large, he needed to brace himself against each wall to avoid falling. As he continued on, he chose to brace himself against the left side of the corridor, and next, directly down the middle.

Jear then calls to him to see where he is going.

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:54 pm

Jear does not like being uninformed but has little choice but to follow. He is carefull to follow in the footprints of Grug and hug the same wall as his large friend. As he moves forward he passes down that they should apparently stay to the one side.

"For the love of the Gods, keep a tight rein on Rak. He trips some trigger and we are all doomed to reunite on the Ninth Plane."

Jear turns his head back towards Grug and begins smiling from ear to ear. Now this is what I call a good time...

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:58 pm

"Hey, um, Grug? Do you see those marking we are suppossed to be looking for? I see nothing on the floor, or the walls.... And where is Rain??"

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:00 pm

As Jear continues after Grug, the Auric finds that Grug's footprints have disappeared. All that is left is Jear's, which are easy enough to follow. The same is true for Jears's footprints disappearing. All that is left is Auric's, and so on.

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by irdeggman » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:40 pm

As Art reaches Goratash he says softly:

"Art, I'm concerned over Rain's behaviour.

He knows this place much better than he should. So either he has been here before and didn't bother to tell us or something happened to him when he went down that trap door.

Either option is not a good thing for the rest of us.

Do you have any thought on this?

Perhaps he has been "influenced" magically or in some other manner.

Regardless I think it would be wise to proceed cautiously around him.

My people can communicate mentally with those whom they are familiar with for short periods.

So if the time comes I may attempt to contact you in such a manner, don't be alarmed if it happens."

Goratash activates his armor before following the others.

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:35 pm

Grug walks further along and calls back to the rest of the group. "Walk on diamonds to stay safe"
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

TOS 100+

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:55 am

Art merely nodded once and continued.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:48 pm

Sunim follows the others, carefully looking back for trouble, and up.... he is watching party members for subtle signs of difficulty as well.

"Rain, how do you know so many details of this place, anyway?"

Return to “{PbP} Sharn: The Rising Night [ENDED]”