And at last there was silence

Sharn, the City of Towers, is known as a place to find anything. As Night rises, this city's mettle will be put to the test.
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:50 am

Jear, now seeing that Rain can simply jump across, simply sits down on the floor cross legged to think this one through. As he does so, he pulls a coin from his pouch and begins to flip it end over end accross his knuckles.

OK so an invader comes down the steps from the hidden trap door. They are set upon by defenders located on the far side of a ring of traps. They defend with arrows or bolts or magic, but if they see they are losing, they retreat down the hallway. Should their attackers give pursuit, they first run into a barrier of pit traps, marked only on the ceiling, and have to give pause in attacking until they can figure out how to overcome.

So then what?

Let's say they make it across. They then have to traverse the hallway that is also trapped and causing them to pursue slowly.

If they make it to the end of the hallway, they encounter a dead end. An illusion of a wall. Should they figure that out, and step through, they encounter an open spiked pit.

Now what... Where have the retreating defenders gone...?

Jear stands back up. "Can we have that rather wicked looking construct moved out of the hallway? I think we need to have another look at where we came in."

(OOC) Assuming that the construct is moved, Jear will want to jump across the pit trap in the hallway and move down to the end to rexamine the pit. He wants to know if the only way out of that pit is up the rope and through the ceiling. (/OOC)
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:02 pm

Eying Rain cautiously, Goratash says, "Before we go anywhere, Rain has a lot of explaining to do. I think that we should hear him out first. Well Rain?"

He allows his construct to fade.
OUT OF CHARACTER
irdeggman left me instructions for Goratash before he left

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:50 pm

Rain crosses his arms and smiles.

"I know, there is a lot of things I need to explain. I'm not sure how to explain them just yet. This," he motions to the dead rats, "was unforseen. However, I do have some interesting info from this place."

He sits and opens his bag.
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:51 pm

While Jear was understandable curious on how Ran got down here un-noticed, he was sure that it was just a case of invisibilty or such. Jear always went with his gut on things, and right now he felt Rain could be trusted. This was probably a habit that would eventualy get a dagger in his back, but it was the only way he knew to function.

Jear thanks Goratash and moved down the hallway, not waiting for Rain's reply, with the intent of checking out the other end. before leaving, he gets his rod and his rope back from Grug. He thinks he may need it.

"Want to come along, Rak? I may have a job for you."
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

Ceroill
BARON
BARON

Post by Ceroill » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:56 pm

As usual, Galeth was content to let others haggle among themselves and follow along with the flow of events.

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:48 pm

Rain produces two crystals and hands them to Goratash.

"These are for you. Happy birthday. They are useless to me."

He rummages a bit more through his bag, pulling out various alchemical vials and tubes.
Image Rain Talayan
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:13 pm

Seeing the crystals, Goratash's visage darkens, and he yells, "Where did you find these! Start explaining, and it better start making sense. How do you understand what this place is? What do you know about the manifestation that was taking place? Start talking!"

As Goratash is yelling at Rain, a sheen starts to slick over his skin like when he is manifesting.

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:50 am

Rain stands up and narrows his eyes.

"I found them. You want to question me, fine, question me. I understand what is going on here because I PAY ATTENTION. Look around you. A little logic and you can figure it out. This place was a hiding place for something exceptionally powerful but ultimately incomplete. The rats were it's gaurdians, these traps as well. The how's and what's and why's are beyond me! All I know is I found enough history in one room to explain more of my trade and this history of this place than any one group of people can amass!"

He begins to pace, clearly frustrated.

"Are those crystals of any use to you? More importantly, what the hell do they do??"
Image Rain Talayan
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

Ceroill
BARON
BARON

Post by Ceroill » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:41 am

Galeth found this outburst a bit strange. In his experience, what one paid attention to varied by what one was trained at. So it was obvious to him that a wizard would pay attention to things others would hardly notice, just as a trained soldier would react to certain situations in certain ways. He briefly considered mentioning that use of logic usually needed the presence of a certain basic level of information to begin with, but thought better of it. Instead he decided to watch and listen.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:55 am

Goratash looks at them again, then does a double-take. "I am not entirely sure. This will take some investigation."
OUT OF CHARACTER
I am not sure how much irdeggman will want to explain, so for right now, he will leave it at that. If some of you want to know more about it, we'll have to wait for him to come back. Obviously he knows more than he is saying, but I am not sure how he will interpret what I am going to be telling him, so it would be best for him to respond.

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:21 pm

Grug nods to Art after he is stopped. No words are offered but the look of appreciation and thanks is sincerely written on his face. Once Rain arrives back with the party Grug slaps him on the back hard. A gesture of both welcome and also warning not to do something stupid like that again. :wink:
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:24 pm

Rain climbs up on Grug's shoulder and musses his hair.

"No worries, big guy. As stupid as that may have seemed, there is far more ahead than I can explain at the moment. But by the end of this, you'll have killed your fair share, and we all may end up exceptionally wealthy."

Rain closes his eyes and continues to sit on Grug's shoulder.
Image Rain Talayan
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:06 pm

"Rain - what exactly have you been paying attention to? I must admit - that I'm fairly lost, and that is not a situation with which I am comfortable. Usually, I'm the one explaining the details to the idiots not paying attention. What is this place? These crystals - I take it are power stones? If so, might I have a look at them as well?

"For those of you less trained in the psionic arts - a power stone is much like a scroll - only they hold not spells - but psionic powers manifested in a ready to use format that nearly any psionicist can access and use in a pinch."

"I must say, if this place was set up as a psionic lair - I'm surprised to an extreme to see undead guarding it instead of constructs, but that would explain the hive mind effect of the undead. Or am I way off base?

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:09 am

Grug listens to Rain speak. Then gives a slight huff as he says, "Rich better than dead. My trust you have."
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

TOS 100+

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:23 pm

For validation, there is nothing to validate. Rain has left many questions unanswered, no one has suggested moving on, so I will leave this post open until people are ready to move on.

Ceroill
BARON
BARON

Post by Ceroill » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:28 pm

Galeth looks around at the party. "So. Make camp here, or move on? If we move on, which way?"

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:57 pm

"I suggest a chance for us to rest, and then we head on. I know the way to a place that is supposed to be full of wealth, but I believe the road will be dangerous indeed."
Image Rain Talayan
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:15 am

Art considered, "We have already rested recently. We need a tactical breakdown of what you have learned of this place and its layout. What threats there are so that we can prepare, my most powerful magic takes too long to be useful in combat."

valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by valinor » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:40 pm

"I do not know, it would be of comfort, though making camp here would be unwise but clearly at the same time understandable. I can ask my ancestors to Consecrate the area and maybe we can be at peace." as Auric suggests looking around at each wall as if looking for anything amiss.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:51 pm

"I'm sorry - Goratash - did you say what those crystals were? Rain do you know? I can only guess that they are psionic - and if they're power stones, they certainly are unusual for that? Dorjes, perhaps? Or an artifact of some type? I was never much for the study of psicraft - any more than I was for any other type of book learning - but clearly there's something more going on - and while I do choose to trust the lot of you - I would feel much more comfortable doing so if you were a bit more forth coming with answers. A little less secret surprise would reduce the amount of interrogation we seem to have to resort to every so often.

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:25 pm

"I can't really explain how I know the things I know. A lot of it is logical reasoning and past experiences. I do know that there is a rather large psionic presence here, and it's gaurdians were those rats. What are those crystals, Goratash?"
Image Rain Talayan
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by irdeggman » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:23 am

[OOC I'm baaack /OOC]

Goratash attempts to answer, looking at the crystals:

"These are not power stones they are some sort of crystal but not a dorje. They appear to be a type of cognizance crystal but different. Cognizant crystals are something that manifesters use to store their power for later. It wil take time to decipher them futher. If the rest of you do not mind I will hold on to them for a while and see if I can make something of their use later."

[OOC Identify Psionic (the power), unlike Identify (the spell) takes 1 day to manifest /OOC]

Turning back to Rain

"I am curious where you found these Rain? I am also curious as to how you know the layout of the this place so thoroughly when you were only in the pit trap earlier for a few minutes. Someone more suspicious would think that you have been to this place before we opened that door.

This place is of Riedran architecture, so you will excuse me for feeling a tad bit apprehensive of this place. I would feel more at ease if we cut to the chase and got down to why you know so much about this place before we continue on. Exactly how many times have you been here before Rain?"
Claim your Birthright!!!
http://www.birthright.net/

Image - Krunch the handsomest half-giant

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:45 pm

I agree, I'd like to see that place you found these crystals. As for the rest, it does make sense that the rats are psionic - it would explain the earie silence earlier. Rain - have you had a psionic episode of some type?

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:49 am

"I think it would be a very bad idea to go to where I found these. It was treacherous enough for me to make the passage intact. As for how I know about this place? Trade secrets. Besides, there was a key on the roof that I deciphered. I found those crystals, though, and somewhere in my head I know that they are unusable by the nightmares."

Rain simply shrugs.

"I'll give you more answers when I can."
Image Rain Talayan
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:55 am

Grug looks around to the others and trying to keep a vigilant eye for more trouble. "Where we go now?" he asks to nobody in particular.
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

TOS 100+

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by irdeggman » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:09 pm

Goratash looks out and slightly sighs.

"Well then I guess that will have to do for now. But Rain, it is really important that you tell me about these "trade secrets" at least as to how they apply to this place. It is an important thing for my people and I'm not sure you can fully grasp the danger that the darkness holds."

"So, lead on Rain and let's see what this place holds."
Claim your Birthright!!!
http://www.birthright.net/

Image - Krunch the handsomest half-giant

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:50 pm

"Well... Let's get moving. Trade secrets are strade secrets, Goratash. Nothing personal, but I can't be giving away all of my tips and tricks. But, I do know what I am doing. And at the moment, what I am doing is liable to make us all very, very wealthy."

He turns to the north and smiles.

"Just step where I step and please, be careful."

He begins to walk north, sticking to a very certain path.
Image Rain Talayan
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:12 pm

As Rain begins moving towards the northern part of the room, half the party realizes that Jear has now disappeared. Perhaps Jear knows this place as well as Rain!

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:51 am

"Jear is missing. Hmm... "

Rain closes his eyes a moment and smiles. It's not a smile of malice or bad intent, but more wonder.

"Ah... he's almost as curious as I am. Shall we go get him, or should we travel on? I think he'll be alright, but it's better that we fetch him, lest he wanders into trouble. These places can be tricky, and I don't know how skilled he is with these sorts of things."
Image Rain Talayan
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

Ceroill
BARON
BARON

Post by Ceroill » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:22 am

Galeth nodded, and began to wonder about this place, how folks seemed to disappear. He began to look about for hidden doors and such.

Return to “{PbP} Sharn: The Rising Night [ENDED]”