Morgrave University

Sharn, the City of Towers, is known as a place to find anything. As Night rises, this city's mettle will be put to the test.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Morgrave University

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:24 am

The party gathers in the morning outside the University. Goratash and Sunim look very tired, as if they were awake the majority of the night.

Arriving at the campus, the party gathers atop Breland Spire in the Commons. It is a large open-air plaza with a commanding view of the neighboring towers and lower reaches of the city. Vendors wheel their carts up to the Commons and offer a mouth-watering variety of food from a dozen different cusines, from Karrnathi sausage to Talentan kebabs. The offerings are hardly haute cuisine, but they are authentic and generally delicious.

Just as the party is ready to cross the Bridge to Dalannan Tower, a student approaches the party and says, "Hey, I am supposed to deliver this to you." He hands a piece of parchment to Sunim, who was nearest to him. With a confused look on his face, he awaits the results of its reading.

The note is sealed with wax. When opened, Sunim reads,
"Greetings chosen ones. I request your presence.

"--Flamewind"
Last edited by shai-hulud on Wed May 02, 2007 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:18 am

As Grug scarfs down his fifth kabob of the morning he says, "Who Flamewind?"
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

Ceroill
BARON
BARON

Post by Ceroill » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:42 pm

Galeth tries to recall if he has heard this name before.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:42 pm

None of you have heard the name before.

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by irdeggman » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:23 pm

Goratash listens to the discussion, looking like he is flat warn out.
Claim your Birthright!!!
http://www.birthright.net/

Image - Krunch the handsomest half-giant

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:35 pm

"Then messenger, you will have to wait. We have bussiness to attend to. And since we are the chosen ones, your Flamewind will have to get in the back of the line. Chosen ones are poular people these days. Follow along if you must, and we may agree to meet with him after we are through." Then more to himself than anyone else, "I'll not continue to be dragged around from place to place anymore..."[/i]
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:47 pm

"Chosen ones? My professor told me to give that message to a group that looked like they didn't belong. I have no idea what you mean by 'Chosen Ones'. And I wouldn't recommend talking to Flamewind. Talking to her is harder than my Dakaani Culture test." The student gives you all a weird look, then walks away.

After a couple of steps, he says, "Hey, if you decide to talk to Flamewind, she lives above the office buildings in Dalannan Tower, in the great dome. She's been there ever since she was brought back from Xen'Drik. I talked to her once. Not an experience I relished."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:29 am

Anyway, the party continues to Dalannan Tower. This is the main area of student activity with a large bustle of movement. Entering the tower, the party finds a paved pathway. Twenty feet ahead, you find a sign over two doors that says Administration.

Following the signs inside the building, the party heads up a set of stairs and finds the president's office. The door is open with Larrian sitting at his desk working on some paperwork.

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:13 am

Rain travels mostly in silence. He's got a rather straight face on seems to have an air of business surrounding him.
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:08 pm

"Geetings sir. I hate to interupt, but I believe we may have a find for you. I believe both yourself and the institute both collect rare finds. We have discovered some artifacts dating back before the rebuilding. We have even brought along a few samples to demonstrate it's worth. If you are interested, that is..."

Jear looks blankly at him and awaits his response.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:32 am

Larrian looks up and says, "Please, come in. I am just finishing up some paperwork and I will be with you shortly."

He jots down another couple of notes, then looks up again. "So, you have found artifacts from before the rebuilding. The rebuilding of what, might I ask?"

As he notices the painting and some of the statuettes, his eyes widen. "Oh, the rebuilding of Sharn!" He hops up excitedly and begins examining the works that were brought to him. "These are quite old indeed! They appear to be pre-Galifar."

He continues his examination, "Yes, and authentic... My, my. You might just have found several hundred gold worth! If you give me a little more time to examine it, I can tell you exactly how much I can offer you for it."

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:36 pm

Art doesn't appear to be carrying any of the items that he recovered from the room, but he is being followed by a chest with legs at each corner.

He let Jear do his talking.

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:48 pm

"Oh we have far more, and we already know the value. We have done our research. It is this research that has led us to you. And not just for the gold you or the institute can pay. We know the appreciation you have for history. That fact was critical in choosing you first."

Jear takes an additional step forward.

"It is the understanding of your appreciation of history, and the importance that these artifact provided, that we have what we think is a more than fair offer."

"These select few represent a small portion of the total find. The rest is hidden quite well. We offer these samples as proof, and we are selling the information to where the rest lay as they were found. The site is vitually undisturbed, and I am sure the site offers more clues to the past than just the relics it preserves. Perhaps you would like to see our inventory list before we tell you of our request?"

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:55 pm

Larrian gets visibly more excited as Jear explains. Looking at the inventory list, he begins grinning widely. "So, what is your offer?"

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:09 am

"My friends here will all require payment in gold. 450 each. I small price to pay for the rare find in antiquities you see on the list, and the untold revelations of history that the site contains. I on the other hand, require something different."

"You are in possesion of an item. A fragement of scroll as ancient as the items you see before you. It has a certain value to my people. It has been thought missing and gone forever."

Jear wonders to himself how much hot water he is getting himself into for deviating from the plan, but he was suddenly banking on the truth getting a more favorable response from this man than trying to lie and barter it out of him. This man understood the meanings of artifacts and history. To him it represented more worth than gold. It went deeper than that. No, the truth would have to do today.

"The simple piece of scroll you now posses, holds great value to my clan. It is an artifact describing our history. It means little to collectors other than it is very old. But to my clan, it holds a piece of our past. It needs to be returned to my people. To us.... It is priceless."

"I know I may have revealed to much and now destroyed any bartering power. But you understand the importance of history. You understand the true value found in antiquities. So I honestly hope to play to your sympathies."

"Through a bad descision, I have fallen out of favor with my people. If I could return the scroll piece, I could not only bring back a piece of history and restore it to it's rightfull place, but I could restore my honor as well."

Jear then falls silent, and looks at the floor. He could feel his heart pound in his chest and hear the beat in his ears. Did he go to far? He would soon find out.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:54 am

As Jear mentions the number, Larrian's brow furrows. Then as he mentions the piece of the scroll, understanding washes over his face, along with a smile. "One moment, please."

Larrian disappears beneath his desk. A moment later, he returns, carrying a scroll. "I am afraid that deal will not do." He hands Jear the scroll. "The scroll is not mine to give. It is yours. Do you have another deal to offer?"

As Jear looks at the scroll, it is indeed the one he was looking for. Odd how Larrian knew it before Jear even mentioned which scroll he wanted.

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:16 pm

Jear, dumbfounded, just stares in disbelief for a moment. He takes a staggered step backwards, almost falling, and then drops to his knees.

Through teary eyes, he looks up at the man. "I... I... You don't know what... Thank you. Thank you. I have no deal to offer. These negotiations now must fall to my freinds. I have everything I could want." JEar looks down at the scroll, then pulls it close like a child.

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:30 pm

Art addressed Larrian, "we are aware the value of the find and what could be achived marketing it. We ask for 2,000 gold each for the entire collection as listed on that inventory. Half to be paid now, half when the university has all of the items in its prossession." He looked at the rest of the group and particulally at Jear, "that is reasonable price for the amount of artefacts"
OUT OF CHARACTER
The value of the horde was at least 16,000

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:35 pm

Larrian looks back to the list, and says, "Do you have a Letter of marque?"

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:41 pm

Art handed him the one they had been given by the dark lanterns to inspect

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:49 pm

"Hmm, looks like your paperwork is in order. I tell you what. Independently, I am wealthy, but I prefer to purchase finds of this magnitude through the university. I am afraid that I do not have sixteen thousand gold just lying around in university funds. Perhaps I can offer you a deal. What do you say to one thousand gold for each of you, plus the prestige of being named the finders of these artifacts? Additionally, if you have any more finds, I will ensure that the university pays you for those, as well.

"Additionally, if you keep me informed of where you are planning to travel, I can let you know of items that I have been hunting that are rumored to be in the area. If you are planning to return to the ruins of Sharn, I have plenty of places to offer for you to check for more valuable relics."

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:53 pm

(OOC) Sorry if I offered something way lower. Had thought that the DM had said that these were worth a few hundred a piece. But I am to lazy to go find that. Sorry for the trouble. (/OOC)

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:54 pm

Rain nods, "A fair deal, so it would seem, and the birth of a beautiful partnership. I have no objections."

He looks about questioningly at the other members of the group.
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:58 pm

Using the combined appraisal skills of Art, Jear, and Rain, the group comes to a concensus that this vault contains approximately fifteen thousand gold worth of artwork. Selling the paintings to the museum would likely yield another thousand gold for the group. All of this wealth would be from selling in marketplaces throughout the city who might wish to sell rare artwork. This would take a good deal of legwork, though. With the proper contacts, this trove of wealth might fetch a good deal more, particularly if a private collector could be found with an interest in this style of antiquity. The easiest way to get rid of the entire lot would be to sell it to an auction house, although then you risk getting much less than it is worth.

(OOC) Found it. I was wrong. Sorry... (/OOC)

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:00 pm

The low price was offset by making a useful friend. Art nodded as well, "I consider such an agreement reasonable."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:09 pm

Larrian offers his hand to Art, "Now, how shall I prepare the payment? Would each of you like separate letters of credit, or one letter of credit for all eight of you?"

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:22 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
I'm holding to see that everyone is ok with the agreement. Any who are not please say

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Jear stands and says, "I should not be included in the eight. I have more than I deserve." Jear then steps further back against the wall, taking care not to trip over the chest with legs. (OOC) Cool!(/OOC)

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:14 pm

"Jear, the scroll was not part of this deal. It was part of a separate deal. Part of that deal is that I am not permitted to discuss it. The scroll is yours, indepentent of your current find. It would have been yours even if you had not come here today."

valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by valinor » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:04 pm

Auric seems bemused of the conversations.

Return to “{PbP} Sharn: The Rising Night [ENDED]”