Morgrave University

Sharn, the City of Towers, is known as a place to find anything. As Night rises, this city's mettle will be put to the test.
User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:38 am

Ceroill wrote:Galeth will hold the object on the palm of his left hand, and using his training, will attempt to shatter the half-orb with his right fist (sunder).
As Galeth slams his fist onto the hemisphere, it surges with energy and a blast of force knocks most of the party from their feet. Grug manages to keep his footing, along with Auric who is pushed back into him, but the rest of the party falls from the blast.

(Everyone must choose now whether to apply an action point to their Reflex saving throw before I tell you the results of the damage. I am not offering a chance to avoid being knocked prone because there is no consequence from it.)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by draconas » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:59 am

Art chooses no.

User avatar
Ceroill
BARON
BARON
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

Post by Ceroill » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:04 am

Galeth opts to stay up, and not be knocked over.

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:41 am

Ceroill wrote:Galeth opts to stay up, and not be knocked over.
When I rolled your defense versus the Bull Rush attempt, you failed. So, you could use an action point for your reflex save versus the damage, or an action point for the bull rush attempt. As the bull rush attempt has no consequences other than getting knocked over, I did not offer a chance to use an action point on it. You do have an opportunity to use an action point on the reflex save to avoid damage. Since you are holding the item, an action point would grant you a roll (ordinarily, holding the cause of a blast would not afford you a reflex save at all).
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
Ceroill
BARON
BARON
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

Post by Ceroill » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:36 am

Ok, reflex save it is then!

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:30 pm

Surprised by the shockwave he says, "Is anyone hurt or is it just their pride?"

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:57 pm

valinor wrote:Surprised by the shockwave he says, "Is anyone hurt or is it just their pride?"
I have not rolled your reflex save versus the damage. Do you want to use an action point on the reflex save?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:04 am
Location: Virginia Beach - VA, USA

Post by irdeggman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:45 pm

[OOC I'm back. Goratash won't use an AP (he has a lot of HP really) /OOC]
Claim your Birthright!!!
http://www.birthright.net/

Image

Image - Krunch the handsomest half-giant

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:30 am

Sure... when the DM for the first time ever mentions that you can use something to alter the balance of the game...
I generally find it's worth doing.

How many action points do we have by the way?

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:55 am

Sunbolt wrote:Sure... when the DM for the first time ever mentions that you can use something to alter the balance of the game...
I generally find it's worth doing.

How many action points do we have by the way?
At each level, you lose your remaining action points and they are replaced with the formula =5+TRUNC(i_CharacterLevel/2)

Edit: Also, this is not the first time it has been mentioned. Others have already used action points, and I told everyone about it at the beginning. This is simply the first saving throw anyone has needed to make. With the luck of characters not needing to make saves versus traps in the tower, a character knowing his way around the tower, and not too much combat with spellcasters, this is the first it has come up.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:16 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Thought it was just me and Grug who were on our feet and the rest were knocked back or proned.

 


User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:27 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Yes, it was similar to a fireball, but it was a Force typed spell. That means that in addition to the damage, there is a knock-down effect. Had this taken place during a combat, it could have had interesting repercussions.

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:55 am

(OOC) I don't know if I have any action points, as I do not recall you telling us what our totals were. But if I have any, then yes. One AP please. (/OOC)
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:39 pm

Grug will use an AP
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:59 am

Auric will use an AP .

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:08 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Perhaps I did forget to mention action points. I mentioned their use as part of stunts, but I might have forgotten to mention how many each character had. I apologize. I have been playing in several Eberron campaigns in RL, and APs have become almost second nature to me at this point. I sometimes forget that they are not part of most campaign settings. Beginning at 6th level, you each received 8 APs. The AP can be used to modify any d20 roll by adding the results of 1d6 to the d20 roll. Rain has used an AP or two already (I don't have his sheet open to see how many), and I think Grug has, as well. When you gain a level, you lose any unspent action points for the level and regain a fresh supply. At 7th level, it will be another 8 APs. At 8th level, you will have 9 APs. These APs cannot be regenerated through any means. If they are used up, then you do not get more until you gain a new level.

Because of how online games work, I will probably be running about two-thirds of your encounters per level as roleplaying encounters. This means that if you wanted to use your APs for combat, you should be using on average two APs per combat.

 

Galeth's fist breaks the magically sealed container, and a blast of arcane force shoots bursts forth, pummeling most of the party to the ground. Galeth, feeling the blast, allows his body to move with the force, knocking him back twenty feet, and managing to harmlessly roll to a stop (Evasion prevented damage). Auric was very near the blast. He tried his best to avoid the force, but with Grug standing so close behind him, he had no where to go and was hit by the brunt of it (31 hp damage, and Auric falls unconscious in Grug's arms). Grug, apparently partially shielded by Auric, was able to avoid most of the force (15 hp damage). Sunim was at the edge of the blast, and simply allowed the blast to knock him over without injury. Jear, too, was knocked down harmlessly. Rain, unfortunately, was not so lucky. He was not prepared and took the full brunt of the force (31 hp damage). Goratash deftly dodged behind Grug and avoided most of the blast, but was still knocked down (15 hp damage). Flamewind took the blow standing, but she looks injured.

As Galeth rolls to a stop, a metal disc falls from the cracked hemisphere. The disc bears the symbol of House Cannith.

Flamewind looks stunned by the blast, saying nothing.
Last edited by shai-hulud on Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:16 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
When do we get XP or level up?

 


User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by draconas » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:53 am

Assuming he has not been knocked around like a skittle, Art will pick up the disk and examine it.

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:30 am

"WHAT THE?!?!"

"Apparently the secrets continue... I would suggest not doing anything like that again. What is that anyways?!?
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:04 am
Location: Virginia Beach - VA, USA

Post by irdeggman » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:16 am

As Goratash stands up looking over the "results" of that last action

"Is anyone hurt?

and what was that, some sort of magical protection?"
Claim your Birthright!!!
http://www.birthright.net/

Image

Image - Krunch the handsomest half-giant

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:22 am

Art recognizes the disc as an arcane key. To what, he cannot imagine.
OUT OF CHARACTER
XP will be gained once the party rests again. I wanted this side-quest to be over. With its completion, it will likely be enough experience to bring the party to level seven.

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by draconas » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:26 am

Art handed Galeth the disk, "It was." He looked around, "oh dear. It woudl appear that some are more worse for wear."

User avatar
Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:47 am
Location: Florida

Post by Tech Trooper » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:56 am

Grug holds Auric and shouts to the others, "Auric hurt! He need help!"
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:37 am

With the sound of the blast, several of the university's administrative personnel come rushing up the stairs.

"What is going on up here?!? Is everyone all right? Oh no, you are hurt! Shall I fetch a healer?"
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by draconas » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:19 pm

Art remembered that Auric was the one usually healing the humanoids. THis was a problem his infusions would not work on them.

He responded to the officals, "yes please, he has been seriously hurt."

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:55 pm

The administrator rushes down the stairs. Several minutes pass, and Auric is still breathing. The administrator returns with a halfling and Larrian. Larrian says, "Narna, these men are working for me. Please do whatever is necessary to help them. Charge it to the University."

Narna bends down over Auric and her Dragonmark flares up. She touches its power to Auric [8 hp of healing]. "I think he can walk. Bring them to the infirmary. We can help them recover there."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS
Posts: 909
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by valinor » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:17 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
If I am conscious enough, I'll heal myself enough to go upstairs and heal Flamewind. If I am conscious and able.

 

Coughs up some blood, as he feels the pain of the concussive blow that ruptured parts of him.

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:27 am

While everyone is licking their wounds, and looking over a magical device that just laid us all out, Jear approaches Flamewind.

"What did you mean when you said we need to take you with us? Are you a key element in fulfilling the prophesy? And is there something that keeps you from leaving on your own free will? Are you considered a captive here in some way? Because whay have you not left yet? What keeps you from leaving this place right now?"

"Do you know the path to the weapon of light?" Jear thinks for a moment. Then he pulls out his scroll. "Is this the weapon of light to which you reffer? or is is another?"
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:42 pm

Sorry for the delay. I have been away, checking from my friend's computer, but I have not been able to look at your characters and my books. I am back at school, so I am ready to post.
valinor wrote:
OUT OF CHARACTER
If I am conscious enough, I'll heal myself enough to go upstairs and heal Flamewind. If I am conscious and able.

 

Coughs up some blood, as he feels the pain of the concussive blow that ruptured parts of him.
Yes, you are conscious enough. The AP you spent stabilized you to keep you from dying. You are able to heal yourself and flamewind without any problems, before even being brought downstairs.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5785
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:49 pm

beltzclan wrote:While everyone is licking their wounds, and looking over a magical device that just laid us all out, Jear approaches Flamewind.

"What did you mean when you said we need to take you with us? Are you a key element in fulfilling the prophesy? And is there something that keeps you from leaving on your own free will? Are you considered a captive here in some way? Because whay have you not left yet? What keeps you from leaving this place right now?"

"Do you know the path to the weapon of light?" Jear thinks for a moment. Then he pulls out his scroll. "Is this the weapon of light to which you reffer? or is is another?"
"My visions show me that the weapon of good must be destroyed. Without its holy light, the land will be swept over by evil. I know that I must destroy the weapon, as I have seen in my visions. If I do not, the effects will be catastrophic. I know from my visions that I cannot make it there alone. Only the chosen of Chronepsis can aid me in this task. I do not leave because alone, I will fail. The fiends would stop me."

After looking at the scroll, Flamewind closes her eyes, "No, that weapon lies in the fortress of the Black Mirror. You must travel to Xen'Drik to locate your prize."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Sharn: The Rising Night [ENDED]”