Jear and Grug Gather Supplies

Sharn, the City of Towers, is known as a place to find anything. As Night rises, this city's mettle will be put to the test.
Superfinite
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Superfinite » Fri May 04, 2007 1:55 am

Krusk stares blankly for a moment then nods "Yes, you give trouble you give more stones."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri May 04, 2007 4:29 am

The goblin says, "This is worth 1,000 more!"

Jear's inspection of the diamonds concludes that each is worth 5,000 gp.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Fri May 04, 2007 5:02 am

Jear pauses a moment more wondering how far he could ride this out. Something was odd about this. The Goblin was far to willing. What had changed? Was the Goblin scared of Krusk? Regardless, Jear came to the conclusion that they had better not push it.

"Agreed. We will take the diamonds and be gone."

Jear immediatly begins ushering the others back out of the door and into the nearest skycoach. It was time to end this excursion and meet back up with the others with their supplies. It was also time to come up with a lie. A believable one this time. He was not on a very good roll with telling successfull lies. But there was no way he wanted to admit to placing side bets and risking exposing them further to whomever wanted them dead.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Fri May 04, 2007 9:38 am

Grug is not sure what just happened but is pleased with the outcome. Shifting his weight again to carry the unwieldy bundle of Mishu's gear. "Need sell this stuff Jear" he says again as they make for the skycoach.
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Fri May 04, 2007 10:10 am

"I know, big guy. I know." Jear instructs the cab driver to bring us as close to the iniversity as possibe. Asks him if there is an armory close to there he can drop us off at.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri May 04, 2007 12:34 pm

Even though you asked him to wait and he agreed, the skycab is gone. Perhaps he didn't like waiting in Daask neighborhoods. Time to wander around with 25,000gp worth of diamonds tucked into your clothing in Lower Tavick's Landing...

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Fri May 04, 2007 1:24 pm

{OOC Oh Joy!}
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

TOS 100+

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri May 04, 2007 2:44 pm

As the group begins traveling through the district, several halflings approach. Jear recognizes one of them as Trebor ir'Boromar. They bonded quite a bit when Jear first came to the city as they both possess similar problems. Trebor, however, is much less concerned with his affliction. When caught, he always has a story like, "It has been in my family for years," or "I found it on the ground, so I thought I should protect it."

Trebor also has no issues giving up his finds. Simply ask him and he will gladly hand over all of his earthly possessions. Possessing things means nothing to him. He just never seemed to grasp the concept. He values beauty, and would gladly trade something of material worth for something of his perceived aesthetic worth. His favorite are colored gems, which happen to carry a great deal of material wealth in their own right, but to him, their value is the beauty they add to his collections.

Trebor is accompanied by several halfling thugs. They approach the group cautiously. It is uncertain if they mean the group harm or not. Then, one of them says, "So, what's an elf who used ta work for us doin wit a haff-ogah dat wears our championship belt, an orc, prolly Tarasque, an' a Daask gobbie doin' comin' from a Daask warehouse?"

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Fri May 04, 2007 3:36 pm

(OOC) Run for your lives! It's kinder!! DM - it's official. I hate you...(/OOC)

Jear, on seeing them approach, instructs both Krusk and Grug to keep themselves between the haflings and himself at all cost. "The one will steal the pants right off of you." Jear will make sure to keep them positioned on the other side of his body gaurds at all cost. In fact, knowing what is at stake, Jear steps in front of Rak and faces him with his back to the others. He holds a finger up and motions Rak to remain silent. he then turns and draws a single sword and pulls Rak in close with his free hand.

"Stay back! Though I know one of you quite well, am instructed to keep my client safe at all costs. I have been ordered By Graulind to not let any near him until he transported safetly to our destination.

"Grug! Krusk! Crush them where they stand if they take another step."

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Fri May 04, 2007 4:08 pm

Grug smiles wide. He is only too happy to crush somebody.
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

TOS 100+

Superfinite
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Superfinite » Fri May 04, 2007 4:58 pm

Krusk nods and moves between Jear and the halflings, nervously checking his bag as he moves.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri May 04, 2007 5:16 pm

Rak looks terrified as Jear pulls out a knife and points at him. His legs shake as he decides if he is going to bolt.

Trebor's eyes light up at the excitement! Then, he disappears!

The other halfling says, "Uh oh. Now yer all in trouble. Jear, working fer da Daask?" His tone is condescending. "We coulda offah'd ya much betta comp'nsation. No fight'n here. Dis ain't da place. Ya's can bet we'll be see'n ya's around."

The other halflings start to walk away.

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Fri May 04, 2007 6:08 pm

(OOC) Sorry but maybe it was not clear. I pulled a sword and pointed it everyone else as if I am protecting Rak. Not pointing at poor Rak. Not sure if you want to alter your post.(/OOC)

The moment the hafling disapears, Jear mutters a curse, clutches the bag containing the stones with one hand, sheathes sword, then shoves the bag down his pants leaving no part hanging out. He keeps one hand to protect his purse and removes a sword once more. The whole time he does this, he begins talking out loud.

"Trebor, if you value your life, do NOT touch take the sword of the one that was standing next to you! For we had just placed a magic spell on it that will make your hands glow blue for the next two days and temporarily give you the ability to fly by saying the right words. And the last thing you want to do is be flying around like a dragon with blue glowing hands when the spell wears off in about 2 days! Cluck once like a chicken if you understand!"

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri May 04, 2007 6:23 pm

Trebor becomes visible down the way a bit as he jumps his friend, "Gimme! I wanna hold it! Just for a moment! Come on!"

His friend, frustrated with his buddy, struggles with him. The distraction is just what the party needed to escape unnoticed. They gradually make their way back to the University, albeit very delayed.

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Fri May 04, 2007 8:26 pm

Once they are clear of the halflings, Grug checks himself over to make sure nothing is missing.
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

TOS 100+

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Fri May 04, 2007 8:39 pm

And Grug is not the only one to do some checking...

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sat May 05, 2007 11:01 pm

Grug and Jear both have all of their equipment.

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Mon May 07, 2007 12:54 pm

On the trip back Grug keep his eyes open for an armor and weapons shop to stop into. :shock:
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

TOS 100+

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Tue May 15, 2007 5:04 pm

The party's location in Lower Tavick's Landing is very close to Deathsgate in Middle Tavick's Landing. Maneuvering through there, you would have no problem finding an armorer and then a skycab.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Thu May 17, 2007 2:16 am

Grug, Jear, Rak, and Krusk find a shop not far from the tavern Redblade's where they ate a couple of days back. The shop is called Ancient Blades, right next door to The Labyrinth, which is a ramshackle old shop with a surprising amount of adventurer traffic. Just down the road are the shops Dark Words and Bottled Silver.

Entering the shop, the four find themselves in a well stocked arms and armor shop. Most of the weaponry looks like it belongs on a battlefield with a wide variety of styles of longswords, lances, pikes, and plenty of battlefield armor. Behind a counter displaying several varieties of chain shirts, a human male with several scars across his face peers at the new arrivals. His head is bald, but his chin sports a full beard and mustache. In a gruff voice that would offend most customers, he growls, "You here to buy something?"

Three other customers who were looking at various armaments stop and stare at the new arrivals, as well. One is a poorly groomed half-orc with dark skin, red crescent eyes, and a wicked tattoo that covers all of his exposed skin wearing a heavy baldric supporting a myriad of weapons.

Then, a tall, thin woman with sharp Karrn features, red hair, and surprisingly blue eyes emphasized by her pale, soft skin enters. She wears a hunting outfit of black and purple silk, with loose pants tucked into boots of black leather. She moves with unconscious grace.

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Thu May 17, 2007 9:52 am

Grug moves up to the counter and places his 6 stones bounty of armor in front of the human. "Grug look to buy and sell. Need to know what you give for these things first." he says to the merchant.

{Now that they have a moment of relative peace Grug also allows Jear to look of the gear to see if he notices anything unusual or perhaps magical about the items he is planning to sell}
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

TOS 100+

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Thu May 17, 2007 9:59 am

Jear passes his eye over the gear, moving items aside. He then looks at Grug's own armor.

"My friend here is also going to want to include the armor he is wearing in the trade. It is good armor, though damaged in recent combat. We will need to know what you will give for the lot. then we are going to want to apply that to a new set up. Include his maul in the equation. We may want a better one.

So I guess the answer is yes. We want to make a purchase." Jear then steps away to look over other items in the shop while the shop owner looks over the gear.

He then calls out over his shoulder, "I am sure that as a seasoned shop owner as your self, you will not assume that we don't already know the true worth."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri May 18, 2007 5:48 pm

The shop owner chuckles a bit and as he inspects the armor, he asks, "So, what do a group of veterans like yourselves do? You travel a lot? Looks like an aweful lot of damage to this armor. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were fighting a troll! But I don't see any sign of acid or fire, so I know that ain't what happened. Sure got lots of claw marks, though."

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Fri May 18, 2007 6:28 pm

Jear laughs out loud. "To the victor goes the spoils. Right my big friend?" Says Jear over his shoulder to Grug. "It was indeed a troll. Good guess. One does not often find a troll out of it's armor."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri May 18, 2007 6:46 pm

The shop owner points to Grug's armor, "You can tell by the marks here. If he had gotten a hold, there wouldn't be much left of this armor after he rended ya, huh big guy?" He then picks up Mishu's armor and starts inspecting. "So, you boys are adventurers, I gather. Ya know, you might want to stop by the Deathsgate guild hall. It is in this district. Tell 'em Aldar sent you. The guild has plenty to offer, including discounts at this shop and any other shop in this district. If you are going to be victors and receiving any more spoils, I bet you'd make out real good by joining."

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Fri May 18, 2007 11:14 pm

"You are probably right. But we are merely passing through. We may not be able to apply for a discount, but just please give us a fair deal." Jear goes back to looking around the shop. Picking up a knive here or there. Looking over a pice of armor. Just waiting for Grug to make some descisions.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri May 18, 2007 11:36 pm

The shop owner continues looking at everything for a couple of moments, then says, "I ain't sure if any of this is magic, but you leave it here for the night with a thousand gold n' I can tell ya everything about each piece of magic ya got. Without it bein' identified, ain't no way I can tell what it is. I can give ya a price for it if its nonmagic, though.

"The shirt he's wearin' is pretty much shot, but I'd still give ya a thousand gold for it. Hell, any shirt that can keep ya alive fightin a troll when ya ain't got fire or acid is gotta be something special, whether ya realize it or not. I'll eat the cost of repairs.

"For the breastplate, helmet, and greaves, I can give ya 175. The shield ya got looks nice. I can give ya 975 for that. The maul looks like it is worth about 200, and the greatsword would be worth 165. Thats 2515 total if none of its magic. But like I said, you leave a thousand gold overnight, and tomorrow I'll tell ya exactly what ya brought me."
OUT OF CHARACTER
This is in line with what Jear would expect from a merchant. It is about 50% of normal cost for all of the items. Except the shirt. He was willing to pay 50% of normal cost for a shirt that will cost him about the same to repair. The identification was rather costly, though. For seven items to be identified would usually only be 770, but he might have to contract out.

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Mon May 21, 2007 10:27 am

Grug says to the dealer, "We in hurry. Can't wait a day to see if gear magic or not. Just need chain shirt repaired. This shirt special to Grug. Save Grug's life at 6 stones. Grug want keep it. How much to fix now?"

{OOC Post changed a little because until Grug knows for sure what is magical and what isn't of the prizes he collected from 6 stones (ie. breast plate, helmet, greaves, spiked guantlets, and great sword) he doesn't want to part with any of it. Hoping we can find a magic shop that might just be able to cast detect magic and help us see if anything is worth paying to identify quickly}
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

TOS 100+

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Mon May 21, 2007 2:35 pm

"Why the steep price to indentify the items? I would thingk I can walk to the nearest magic shop and learn what all of this is for a far cheaper price? We are in a hurry, so I would prefer to take care of that here? So why so much?

In addition, how long to repair the chain mail shirt?"

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon May 21, 2007 5:39 pm

Aldar shakes his head and says, "There is way too much damage to repair quickly, although, if you were a Deathsgate Guild member, I might be able to provide a magical treatment that would fix the armor, but that is reserved for guild members. As far as identification, I don't have the means to do it here, so I would have to send it out. You are probably better off taking it to get identified yourself anyway. Just down the street at Dark Words, you can get everything identified fairly inexpensively and quickly."

Return to “{PbP} Sharn: The Rising Night [ENDED]”