How do you want to level up?

Sharn, the City of Towers, is known as a place to find anything. As Night rises, this city's mettle will be put to the test.

When should training occur?

Poll ended at Mon May 07, 2007 9:42 am

During travel?
43%
During downtime (my preference)?
57%

Total votes: 7

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

How do you want to level up?

Post by shai-hulud » Wed May 02, 2007 9:42 am

I was hoping to introduce some downtime, but the party has been moving pretty fast-paced. I offered two weeks, but the party jumped on another hook (which is great! I love the enthusiasm, but it makes training difficult). Would you prefer to train while you travel? If so, then leveling up will always take place while the party is travelling. Or would you prefer to spend time with mentors and train? If that is the case, then when level-ups are coming close, I will announce a "mandatory" training period where you find a way to put a pause in adventuring (to the best of your ability) while you learn the new abilities made available.

I am amenable to either idea.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed May 02, 2007 9:45 am

By the way, if we go with a downtime rule for training, that would mean that if the party continues their current plan of leaving the city, once they arrive somewhere, they will need to find mentors and spend time training. This may prevent the party from gaining a level for quite some time.

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Wed May 02, 2007 9:47 am

My only problem with leveling during downtime is that it may slow down the game. Now if it is handled like some of the other threads we have done in the past where we have a thread to post about our training/downtime and interact with NPC's but at the same time have another thread that is keeping the game moving then I think it would be fine.
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed May 02, 2007 9:49 am

Tech Trooper wrote:My only problem with leveling during downtime is that it may slow down the game. Now if it is handled like some of the other threads we have done in the past where we have a thread to post about our training/downtime and interact with NPC's but at the same time have another thread that is keeping the game moving then I think it would be fine.
I like that idea a lot.

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Wed May 02, 2007 9:54 am

Downtime preference here, as is being pointed out - an artificer has quite a lot to do in DT and it requires being stationary!

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Wed May 02, 2007 10:39 am

I have always played where leveling up occured naturally. Feats, new abilities and spell aquisition was thought to have been something the character was striving for all along. So that when enough experiance had been aquired, the ability had been perfected or developed to the point it could be used.

I have only played with one DM that required official learned training at centers and such.

Regardless, I am here to play, so I go with the majority. I would prefer as little downtime as possible.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by valinor » Wed May 02, 2007 11:48 am

During an actual downtime, since it creates a space and timeframe that we're doing nothing but improving ourselves or re-equipping and doing what normal people would be doing in day to day stuff, but in alotted timeframe. :)

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sat May 05, 2007 12:14 am

I go for the on the spot leveling... You gain experience as you go and experience life. I can understand waiting till the end of the day or whatever to reflect.. but lets face it - adversity and necessity breeds invention. A new feat could conceivably appear in the middle of a combat as someone who is about to die tries something they never tried before and pulls it off (just so happens that they had enough XP to level and gain the feat - so the DM allows the feat acquisition.)
This is one of those DM decisions where you have to go with what works for the game. If we're constantly on the go - it makes no sense to artificially throw in "down time" or penalize the characters by not allowing level advancement. If the game was more "chapter" oriented then it would make more sense to me.

If you do throw in double threads where one has us a few days back during downtime and the other has us moving forward into the next phase, well, honestly that almost the same as doing it on the go. What would the downtime thread entail? Are there going to be personal roleplay sessions where we get "masters" and train? or are we simply going to say - "I spend three weeks working on my lock picking skills and sparing with Master X" and that's the end of that - in the meantime the other thread is three weeks later...

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sat May 05, 2007 7:03 am

Two characters are crafters. One is an artificer. Not given his time to craft even homonculi to perform his crafting for him, he loses out on much of his character's abilities. Not to mention that others have reputations and associations in Sharn that if not fostered during "down time" would go away. Some of the characters have connections to organizations that grant their characters power within the city, and power in general. By adding periods of downtime used for quiet reflection or training, it grants the characters an opportunity to grow outside of an adventuring context. Especially the characters who have put a lot of effort towards those ends.

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by irdeggman » Sat May 05, 2007 8:19 am

shai-hulud wrote:Two characters are crafters. One is an artificer. Not given his time to craft even homonculi to perform his crafting for him, he loses out on much of his character's abilities. Not to mention that others have reputations and associations in Sharn that if not fostered during "down time" would go away. Some of the characters have connections to organizations that grant their characters power within the city, and power in general. By adding periods of downtime used for quiet reflection or training, it grants the characters an opportunity to grow outside of an adventuring context. Especially the characters who have put a lot of effort towards those ends.
I vote for on the spot leveling. Otherwise it becomes too difficult to handle.

The things you mention are just as easily managed via having the PCs make deliberate attempts to find time to accomplish this things.

Heck Goratash still needs to find time to "rest" to overcome his fatigue - but that didn't "force" the story and other PCs to halt what they were doing to accomplish it.

Hmm an intersting question in crafting items - would an artificer be able to use those crystals? I guess it depends on how you want to handle the UPD versus UMD skill interaction, I think if it was my game I'd probably handle it like the spell versus psionics you are using (higher level when interacting, so a higher DC but the same skill). It would most definitely make things a lot "easier" for downtime issues IMO.
Claim your Birthright!!!
http://www.birthright.net/

Image - Krunch the handsomest half-giant

valinor
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by valinor » Tue May 08, 2007 11:40 am

Would Auric be the other crafter? :) Magic Weapons and Armor, Wondrous Items?

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Tue May 08, 2007 12:37 pm

Yes :)

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Tue May 08, 2007 3:12 pm

What about a compromise? On the spot leveling with a twist. Get the hit points of your level instantly, along with feats that the DM feels would not require dedicated teaching of a master. A combat related feat may be something learned over the course of time through practice so you could get it when you level. I.E. the next time you tried it, you were finally able to pull it off. Cleave, for example. Or improved sneak attack.

Other feats that required dedicted study time like potion crafting, wand creation, etc. might have to be delaid untill such a time as the DM can work it in.

The DM also could have the option to say: You have been studying under master Yoda to learn the telekinesis ability. He gave you homework to practice. you eventually were able to succeed to the point it was applicable for game play, and now you have the abilty to move that Tie Fighter out of the swamp with your mind.

All would be subject, of course, to DM approval.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Tue May 08, 2007 3:17 pm

Grug wants a TIE fighter :wink: :lol:
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

TOS 100+

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Tue May 08, 2007 4:04 pm

Um... Grug? My mistake, but it should have been an X-wing fighter. My bad.

draconas
MARQUIS
MARQUIS

Post by draconas » Tue May 08, 2007 4:34 pm

Actual levelling I am happy to happen whenever, the problem is that Art needs time stuck at his forge to craft anything, so even in the non-downtime system he is going nowhere for a while. Thus I've simply made it a game choice - if the party are heading off immidately he will leave them for a time. because to him an established craft is more important than random quests with people he's barely met.

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Thu May 10, 2007 9:29 am

Are we waiting to decide the leveling thing before we play anymore? I haven't seen much posting on the current threads and was just curious. We had some momentum going that I would hate to lose. :D
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

TOS 100+

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Thu May 10, 2007 12:34 pm

I believe we were waiting for those in the other thread to decide how to continue. They are in a decision making part of their thread but no one has responded yet. I believe that each may be waiting for the other to act first.

It's funny, because in my head I see everyone just sitting there looking at each other. The gaurds not acting, the characters looking back and forth, the guy who's name we cannot pronounce still with the smirk on his face.

Have you, though, taken care of the armor question? I had told the cabbie to drop us close but at the nearest armor store nearest the university. Did you take care of that out of thread?

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Thu May 10, 2007 2:57 pm

beltzclan wrote:I believe we were waiting for those in the other thread to decide how to continue. They are in a decision making part of their thread but no one has responded yet. I believe that each may be waiting for the other to act first.

It's funny, because in my head I see everyone just sitting there looking at each other. The gaurds not acting, the characters looking back and forth, the guy who's name we cannot pronounce still with the smirk on his face.

Have you, though, taken care of the armor question? I had told the cabbie to drop us close but at the nearest armor store nearest the university. Did you take care of that out of thread?
Ok gotcha.

I posted about looking for one along our trip back. Waiting to see details in the thread or by PM from the DM if we came across one. I hope, I hope :D
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

TOS 100+

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by irdeggman » Thu May 10, 2007 4:18 pm

Yeah most of us are on our way to the detainment area. :wink:
Claim your Birthright!!!

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:29 pm

Ok, everyone, I am finally back to posting on a fairly regular basis. Everyone should level up their characters. Please send me a .tos file if you have TOS+. Otherwise, please update your .mcs file. I will make changes and send it back to you.

Please post the files to this thread.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:08 am

Here's sunim - but check his speed, I think I messed something up when I set him in place... Unless the boots don't stack with the monk ability - or the xeph burst....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:21 am

Your boots were a gift from your monestary. They were not Boots of Striding and Springing. They were Boots of your Monestary. Feel free to name them. Also, looking at your character, there is a problem with Speed of Thought. I am updating it and posting the error in TOS+ errors.

Here is Sunim updated. I just took a cursory look at him, but I will look at him more in depth when I have more time. I updated his XP, his hit points, his weapon modes, his Speed of Thought feat, and his boots. Also, the clothes that you are wearing do not figure into your carried weight. I removed the weight. Please let me know if you see anything else that I missed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:12 am

shai-hulud wrote:Your boots were a gift from your monestary. They were not Boots of Striding and Springing. They were Boots of your Monestary. Feel free to name them. Also, looking at your character, there is a problem with Speed of Thought. I am updating it and posting the error in TOS+ errors.

Here is Sunim updated. I just took a cursory look at him, but I will look at him more in depth when I have more time. I updated his XP, his hit points, his weapon modes, his Speed of Thought feat, and his boots. Also, the clothes that you are wearing do not figure into your carried weight. I removed the weight. Please let me know if you see anything else that I missed.
What was the problem - had you set the laptop sheet to psioinicly focused? Since I think that must be in for speed of thought to work....

Thanks for the updates, I'll examine it again today.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:49 am

The problem was that Speed of Thought is not integrated at all, with Psionically Focused or not.

irdeggman
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by irdeggman » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:10 pm

Here is Goratash's level up.

"Fixed" the psionic feat issue and the incorrect number of AP

I also had to "modify" the Ectopic Adept Prestige class. It is a psionic class, it just doesn't gain any pp based off of it's own ability scores. (one of those +1 to existing classes things). But since it is a psionic colass (like say a soul knife would be) it does count towards most psi crystal benefits since they are based on psionic class levels not manifester levels.

I chose a power from Secrets of Sarlona that I added. I'm sure I didn't add it in the best way though (formula-wise).
Claim your Birthright!!!

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:35 pm

I have received updated files from Catalyst, draconas, irdeggman, and Sunbolt. Tech Trooper is waiting for me to recalculate his XP (sorry, I keep forgetting. I am getting to that now). I haven't heard from anyone else on their characters.

Those who need to contact me:
valinor
Ceroil
beltzclan

If you have attempted to send me the file through email, my email filter is very specific. You need to add Eberron to the subject line for it to get to me, otherwise, it was likely filtered directly to the trash. If you already sent it to me, and I am asking you for it again, please don't be upset. My sister is getting married in August. I have been helping out, as my sister is getting ready to pull her hair out from all of the stress.

beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by beltzclan » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:06 am

Here is Jear

Return to “{PbP} Sharn: The Rising Night [ENDED]”