Rain's actions

Sharn, the City of Towers, is known as a place to find anything. As Night rises, this city's mettle will be put to the test.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Rain's actions

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:59 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
I have been busy, so I have not had time to keep Rain in the loop through IMs or phone calls. I am starting this thread so that I can validate when I have the time.

Recap:
Rain disappeared in the church. He fled the Sharn Watch and went to his shop. His assistant informed him that his associates were unhappy with him due to his recent problems. Several people had begun watching his business.

Rain travelled to meet with one of his associates, who threatened him. If he could not get things under control, he would wind up at the bottom of the Dagger River. He was given advice to find an investigator.

Sharn's legal system is highly corrupt, but not everywhere. The legal decisions of corrupt areas can be overturned by council members who truly desire to do good for the city. While opposing the Church of the Silver Flame is foolhardy, if he can find proof that his friends were not guilty of the crimes for which they were accused, he could bring the proof to a trustworthy council member and have the imprisonment overturned.

He hired an investigator to discover what actually happened and create a report deeming the party's innocence. The report needs to be specific. It cannot refute the charges of the Silver Flame. Instead, it must only show that the party was not guilty of them. It should not provide information on who is guilty, only that the party is not. In this way, the Silver Flame need not be included in the decision to overturn the local ruling. Should the investigator succeed, Rain will take the information to one of the Council members, proving his friends' innocence (as well as his own).

With the guilty verdict overturned, they would be released from prison. His only hope is that the investigator succeeds before they are exiled. The investigator's task is difficult as it is. Should the investigator take too long, and the party be exiled, overturning the guilty verdict would not be enough. Too much paperwork would already have been completed. The party would need to be readmitted to Galifar. While they may have luck entering some of the other nations surrounding Breland, without their identification papers, they would constantly be hassled by guards wherever they went.

The investigator asked a lot of questions, and Rain decided the best way to answer them was to follow Auric's advice. He took the investigator to see Shalorn. With a newfound understanding of his mark, and the marks of his companions, the investigator feels she knows the best way to proceed with her investigations. She will contact him when she has the information he requested.

Anyway, Rain told his assistant that he understood if she wanted to leave, but she said that she would remain and take care of things. Rain also asked her to stay and watch over his house while he is busy with other things. Now is his most difficult task. He must succeed in installing a high profile security system, funnelling the money into his business, and paying his expenses to the right people, all without getting caught by the watch members who have his house and business under surveillance.

At this point, we are up to speed with Rain. Catalyst, when you are ready, post how you want to proceed with your current mission from your associates.
Last edited by shai-hulud on Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Send me a PM to what he's found out so far. I'll write up the report from there. Sorry for my lack of actions lately... I've been very busy with class and both jobs.

Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:08 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
I'll just write it up here. So long as everyone keeps character info separate from player info, there shouldn't be a problem. Plus, it will add to the continuity.

Scouting out the areas where you must install security systems, it is a string of businesses and houses owned by city officials who are loyal to Boromar clan. Apparently, from what you have gathered, this area is rife with Daask scouts and members of the Sharn Watch, King's Citadel, the Blackened Book, and to Rain's chagrin, some members of the Redcloak Battalion. What's worse is that Rain's shop is under constant surveillance, as is his home. It is unlikely that he will be able to accomplish his task undetected. From scouting around, he has discovered that the Sharn Watch is searching for him.

The heightened levels of guards in the area where he must do business is the result of a recent battle that took place. From some of Rain's more trustworthy contacts, it involved the Clawfoots, the Boromar's most powerful enforcement group, and Keshta, who controls a band of gnolls in service to the Daask. Apparently, the Daask and the Boromars were both attempting to put pressure on different members of the Sharn Council in an upcoming vote. If the vote is cast as the Daask would like, it will greatly reduce the Boromar's control of a district known as Downstairs in Lower Menthis Plateau.

While the Downstairs seems like an inconsequential district on the surface, Rain has discovered that the Boromars use that district as a center for production of many illicit substances, the most important of which is their production of Red Dragon's Blood, which is a powerful and addictive form of drug that enhances much of the user's sorcerer spellcasting or dragonmark abilities. They then sell it for over 1,200gp per dose in Upper Central to many of the dragonmarked members, and even to members of the Guild of Starlight and Shadows in Middle Tavick's Landing.

Losing control of the district will put a strain on the Boromar's production. They will be forced to move production to a different district. A disruption in the supply could prove disastrous, especially for those who are addicted. Without their usual fix, they could die. This would give the Daask an opportunity to fill the demand with their own supply. Such a turn would prove disastrous for the Boromar control of Sharn in general.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:22 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
I forgot to mention this...

Rain is not capable of some of the needed security features. A dragonmarked sorcerer of House Kundarak (and member of the Guild of Starlight and Shadows) is usually called for help in these matters. For a little extra gold, he doesn't ask any questions, no matter the circumstances. It is late at night, and the following day, Rain is to meet his associate at the usual meeting spot to collect the 'payment', most of which must be returned after it has had a chance to circulate. Of course, Rain is entitled to the usual amount for his business expenses. Rain will definitely need help moving the payment, as it is paid in coin, and moving that much coin around is a task in and of itself.

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Catalyst » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:30 am

Rain would be travelling via disguise to his house. A good amount of supplies are still secured in his vault, and he'll need them for this job. If it's feesable, he'd be travelling across rooftops once he got to his district.
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:08 pm

Sharn is a city of towers. Think New York City, with high rises all around. There are bridges connecting them, much like the streets of New York. But, if you go somewhere that is under surveillance, there is not really a good way to hide. Your best options are to blend into crowds until you get close to your residence, then attempt to enter through some back entrance.

Assuming that is your intent, and since this is a new day, are you willing to wait an hour while you read?

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:55 pm

I will assume that your answer is yes.

I will send you a PM with additional information. You arrive at your apartment safely, and invisibly. I am also moving you to the other thread temporarily.

Return to “{PbP} Sharn: The Rising Night [ENDED]”