So much for Back Together [Jear, Rain, and Sunim]

Sharn, the City of Towers, is known as a place to find anything. As Night rises, this city's mettle will be put to the test.
User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5766
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

So much for Back Together [Jear, Rain, and Sunim]

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:09 pm

Jear drops off the balcony and says the command word, going into a featherfall. He drops down to Middle Menthis Plateau safely. As he does, a little boy, wide-eyed, says, "Wow! That was awesome! I gotta try that!"

Jear says, "Do you know some back way I can find some healing?"

The boy replies, "Wow, you look beat up! I guess falling off a building hurts, huh?" He walks over and tries to poke Jear's gaping hole where the spikehead gored him. Just about this time, Jear spots something unbelievable. Krusk flies over his head and lands not far from the skylift which is descending.

Unlike Jear's falling, Krusk seems to have no problem controlling his flight. Jear notices Rain step off the skylift, and with hands on the hilts of his swords, he walks into a back alley with Krusk.

---------------------------------------------

As he steps off the skylift, Krusk is standing before him, and in elven, a female voice comes from him that says, "We need to talk".

"Damn right we need to talk," replies Rain.

Following Rain into the alley he ducks into, Krusk melts away to a figure that is covered in padding (which has a bit of blood soaking through and a couple of other stab wounds that didn't puncture her flesh).

"Oh, so the snake show's it's true colors, eh? What is this?" Rain's face is full of anger and both his hands rest on each low-slung sword.

As the elf removes her padding, she is the most beautiful woman rain has ever seen (think supernatural beauty beyond normal elven standards). "My family is in the business of information. We stumbled upon Krusk only two days ago, and once we got him drunk, he told us a great deal about his adventures with you, and about a great deal of wealth. My family decided to step in and see what we could do about acquiring some of this wealth. Given his Daask contacts, we went to his source, Graulind, and asked what could be done about retrieving the wealth that was stolen from you. We took precautions to make sure that if you would betray Krusk, you would be dealt with. Your friends are likely to be killed by the spikehead or captured by the guards. I urge you not to mess with me." She lifts her shirt a bit to show a rather large birthmark on her stomach. The voice in Rain's head says, Greater Mark of Shadow... This one has some standing. Kill her, Rain. Kill her good.

Rain does not release the grip on his blades. "I am in no mood for riddles and long explanations. Are you my friend, or my enemy?" His voice is demanding.

At this point, Jear sneaks over to the alley and listens in.

She laughs, "Neither. I am in this for myself and myself alone. I could have kept your fifty thousand gold, but I was greedy. I wanted more. Another 150 thousand gold is available. I just want another 50 thousand of it! You take the rest. With a hundred thousand, I can retire easily. I am tired of House politics."

"Well, doll, I'm afraid is not possible. All rogues and thieves are we? Now I know the face of yet another... and I'm sure Clan Boromar would LOVE to get their hands on the one who possesses some of their gold. You don't want house politics? I don't really feel like dying, either. You're marked. Ask your family for wealth. If not, work for me. I move mass quantities of gold on a regular basis... that is, until I was robbed. The gold you possess is not mine, nor is it yours."

At this point, Jear is sneaking up behind the Krusk that is not Krusk, ready to stab should the situation demand.
Last edited by shai-hulud on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5766
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:11 pm

Hearing Jear's approach, the woman looks back and nods at the other elf with a half-smile that melts his heart. This woman is truly gorgeous.

She says, "Come now, if you work with me, you have a hundred thousand gold. If not, you have nothing. Two beaten up thieves don't scare me. If you tell Clan Boromar who took their gold, they would never find me. You don't even know my name! Oh, sure, you could give them a description, but I would be long gone with your fifty thousand gold before you even had a chance to let them know. And I can guarantee you they would never find a woman who looks like this. I have gone months in disguise, and I can easily do it for the rest of my life.

"My greed is just about the only thing you have going for you at this point."
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:19 pm

"Rain," says Jear with swords poised to strike, "I say we kill her or die trying." He waits for the word or a sign from Rain. She stands between him, so one of them should get in a t least one good strike.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5766
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:35 am

As Jear finishes talking, she says, "Rain is not the only one who can disappear. I would be gone before you could strike." (It is clear that she is preparing something in case either rogue tries to attack her).
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:06 pm

As she is speaking, Rain attempts to catch her off gaurd in mid sentence. Since she was dumb enough to turn her back on him, he moves in and draws his right blade reverse grip in one fell swoop. The goal is to get a shot in on her and get his other arm around her to hold her steady.
OUT OF CHARACTER
I will throw in an action point, stunt points, and whatever else may be beneficial to Rain.

 

Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:44 pm

Seeing Rain about to move, Jear keeps talking to keep her focused on him. "I dont care who you are! You almost got me killed a couple of times now!"
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5766
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:43 am

She disappears right before their eyes. Rain stabs air.

Rain hears, If I'm not mistaken, that was a greater teleport we just witnessed. In addition to powerful wizards, a fair number of celestial and demonic creatures have that ability. Perhaps she was not an elf after all. Most notably, the succubus who also has the ability to change its form, although I did not notice any transmutation magics on her, so that might rule out that possibility, but I find it hard to believe that she is a powerful enough wizard or sorcerer to have been able to effect a greater teleport.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:37 am

That's okay. I've got her blood on my sword. We can have a mage, or you, if you're able, track her with that.

Rain snickers.

"Wiley little bitch, isn't she? I think I'm in love, Jear."

Rain digs through his bag and finds a suitable vial and scrapes the dried blood from the blade into it.

"That should provide enough of a focus. We'll need to lay low for a little while... Again. But that's alright. She has our gold, and we know her house. I'm sure clan Boromar would love to hear about this. We may be able to take the focus off of us for a little while, enough to get out alive, at least."[/i]
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:37 am

"Right, right." Jear puts a hand to his side. "But first I need a healer. And quickly."
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:24 pm

"That's probably a really good idea. Now that the University is out of the question, the Temple of the Silver Flame is off the list... Where else are we barred from going? Y'know... this is turning out to be a very, very unpleasant situation."
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:00 am

Jear heads back to find the boy taking Rain with him. He asks him about the a healer that is off the beaten path.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:31 pm

Rain has a bit of a dark look in his eyes. Clearly, he's furious, but attempts to loosen up a bit and walk like a normal person. He's finally sheathed his blades and keeps his hood pulled up as he follows Jear.
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5766
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:53 am

In Rain's head, Rain, I wonder if that House Tharashk lady had any luck clearing your name. Perhaps we should check in with her.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:52 am

Rain nods to himself and keeps walking.

"After we get patched up, we need to stop somewhere. I have a private investigator or sorts out with the hopes of clearing our names. It's time I checked in with her. But before that, we need rest."
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5766
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:08 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
Waiting for Sunny. He may be escorting you to wherever you are going, or possibly demanding answers.

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5766
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:50 pm

Sunim, who had apparently caught Jear from his plummet and watched the encounter unfold, walks up to the two elves and says, "As soon as we get to the House of Healing, the both of you owe me some explanations!"

As the three walk to find the little boy, he is no longer on the street. Perhaps he ran off to tell his friends about the flying elf he saw. Anyway, with Rain's knowledge of Sharn, he knows the back ways to get to a House of Healing. Rain is able to get a 10% discount, although the reason is not expressed openly. Perhaps he knows someone important.

Rain, I would not trust these halflings! They could easily report you!
OUT OF CHARACTER
Rain's connections with Clan Boromar grants him a discount on all House Jorasco services.

 

It will cost 4g5s per Cure Light Wounds, although only four healing spells are available tonight. Potions are available for considerably more money (45gp/CLW potion).

Arriving, Sunim says, "Ok you two, start talking! If I am putting my life on the line for you, I want to know what I am involved in! So far, I have seen you attack a half-orc that I think I overheard the guards call Lord Krusk and then an elf who offered to help you. What the heck is going on?!?"
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:15 pm

"Damnit, Sunim, you think any of us have a clue as to what's going on? Every time I turn around I got someone trying to stick a dagger in my back. Here's what happened: We've been robbed. All the money that I got to keep our asses alive has been taken by some elf with a Greater Shadow Dragonmark. I've had my ass kicked, again. We all did. Krusk, or whoever he is, was shootin his mouth off about us getting a lot of gold. Her and her friends overheard it. I think krusk did the initial attack, with her robbing him afterwards."

Rain is now pacing.

"And you? Where have you been? While everyone was locked up, where were you? What were you doing? What the hell is your role in all of this? Why is the sky blue? And more importantly, where the hell can I get a decent meal around here!?!?!"

It has become apparent that maybe, after so long, Rain may finally have lost his mind.

He regains his composure for a moment, leans in to Sunim and whispers. "By the way, I think we're all marked for death by clan Boromar now... unless we can get that gold back."

He looks at Sunim, smiles jovially and gives a nod. "Y'know, just for your information."
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5766
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:27 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Info for Sunim: Clan Boromar is a halfling criminal organization within Sharn. Rumors have it that they control half the city council and nearly all of the criminal activity within Sharn. Their only rivals are the Daask (whom you have already spoken to, namely Graulind).

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:47 pm

Jear just limps along silently holding his side and rolling a dagger between the fingers of his other hand.
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:09 pm

Rain - I was just where I said I'd be. Settling matters with my brother. When I came to meet you in the appointed place, at the appointed time I was told everyone was arrested - so I've made arrangements to get them freed and to meet with them. Then I tried to meet with you all again - and was ambushed, poisoned and spent the night in a house of healing - much like this one. When they brought Grug in, also injured, we got him healed up and went back to the university to hopefully meet the rest of you.

We must set up a means of communication should we be separated again. OR a safe place to meet up after the separation.

sigh.

OK - so you killed the elves because they tried to rob you, and krusk on the assumption that he started the whole thing. What happened with the arch priestess whatshername?

I gather that you all attacked her - and then some idiot admitted to it. You disappeared and ran. No worries, I'm not attacking, it's probably the only thing that kept you from prison, and at this point the more of us out the safer we all are. I'm frankly surprised no one's tried to frame me for something. Guess they think it's easier to just kill me. Let them think so - it'll be their downfall. Now, why do you believe the halfling thieves want us dead?

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm

"I can answer that one. As long as we are alive, and as long as Rain knows who stole his money, and as long as those ties and connections that Rain has with others of his trade, then they stand a chance of losing that money and at worse having some sort of blood fued between clans started." All the while Jear deftly flips his dagger between his fingers.

"Rain, we need some help on this one. There are not enough of us. What if we flipped this thing around. Tell your employers that they have a spy in their midst who is working on behalf of those shadow whatsits that that tatooed lady works for, Would not the truth be far more helpful in our situation? Then they don't think you are losing their touch, but that they have spies in their midst. We need a bit more info to hand off, of course, to really get their hackles up."

(OOC) Are we at a stopping point to get healed up? Provided that Rain agrees on this action, we can then move forward to try and locate Grug. (/OOC)
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:33 pm

"Jear, that could work out exceptionally well. If we can convince my associates that they have, in fact, been double-crossed, we may be able to take enough heat off our shoulders to live to see next month.

Sunim, pardon the defensive. I'm under a little stress. I'm not certain how our comrades were freed from the crazy Lady Morr, but I do have an investigator looking in to the matter. I need to speak with her soon to get this sorted out."
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
beltzclan
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by beltzclan » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:28 pm

"So then what proof would we need? We have the attack on the gaurds that will certainly spread around the city. The rucus in the street right after we left with the gold that I am sure they already know of. We also have... Wait... I met a lady in a bar that was wanting me for a job. She was... alluring to say the least. I wonder if that lady I met was also the same elf but in disguise. She gave me coin. We can have a spell placed on it to help trace back to the owner. In addition you have her blood. That will also show proof. We get this done in advance and bring it to your employers. That is a start. But what to convince them to let us stay on the job and try to work to get it back - with their help of course.

Also, we need to locate our friend Grug. I would assume he is alive, or captured in jail by the gaurds we just encountered. Regardless we at the very least need to know what fate has befallen in him and his strange bleeding armor."
"Hey where did the thief go? He was standing right where that pile of goo is just a second ago... Uh Oh... There wasn't a pile of goo there a second ago. Dang it! We go through thieves like peasants through a dragon."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:15 pm

"Let's sort that out in a bit. First, we need to rest up and get ourselves some fit healing."

Rain heads over to one of the healers.

"Excuse me, perhaps you could tell me where my friends and I can find a safe place to rest?"
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5766
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:48 pm

The halfling looks at Rain and says, "This facility is perfect for safe rest. What happened to all of you? You look like you took part in the Race of the Winds without the blunted lance tips!"
OUT OF CHARACTER
The Race of the Winds is a race where contestants ride flying mounts around Sharn. Each contestant may use a blunted lance to try to knock opponents from their mounts.

 

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:03 pm

"It's a lot like that, actually. We were unfortunately caught in the middle of a spikehead's spooked rampage. It really was no fun at all, as you can tell from the gore marks."

He smiles at the halfling

"But, we will definitely take a safe night's rest."
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5766
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:57 pm

The halfling, with no indication of Rain's affiliations, offers the standard 7sp/night for each of you.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:26 am

Rain gladly covers the costs for himself and his companions.

"Thank you. Please show us where we'll be sleeping."
Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5766
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:28 pm

Rain, Sunim, and Jear are shown to beds in the main area, the halflings still having no idea of Rain's connections and Rain not being very forthcoming.

I don't like it here. We can't trust these halflings. They are dragonmarked. says the voice in Rain's head. We should head to House Tarkanan. Once they find out that you are aiding me, they will be able to provide all the support we need. They may not have very good healing services, but at least I know I can trust them.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Catalyst
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT
Posts: 518
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Post by Catalyst » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:02 am

OUT OF CHARACTER
What does Rain know about house Tarkanan? Does he believe it would be safer there?

 

Image Rain Talayan
ImageAndraes Grey & Kain Canterbury
Image Kal'Tathel
ImageNathan Snow
Image

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} Sharn: The Rising Night [ENDED]”