In the cold white waste

An entirely abusive world in which level 100 characters have to band together or be wiped out as the world itself is subjected to the will of Sunbolt and the members of this forum! OR maybe it's just about fun role play. . . .
Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

In the cold white waste

Post by Sunbolt » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:00 pm

Daryn and Emily exit the cottage and while Daryn makes a right turn and heads east - Emily heads west her back to the snow flurries that she thinks might have outlined a small humanoid figure for just a moment.

After a while - as the cold nips at you and the wind howls so loudly you think that pandamonium itself would be quieter you find that you're in a white open area filled with snow and blizzard and so very very cold.

You go on again and again - searching for landmarks - for bluffs - for a rise or lull in the endless planes - and finding so very little that you're not sure you've even left - except that you know that you've traveled steps on feet and legs that are numb to the cold now.

Again you move further away, trying to get your bearings. You're still both confident that you could reverse course and return having failed to find anything - but still you push on. There has to be a reason you were sent here.

It's Emily that calls through the link that she's seen something. A large crack in the snow field - about thirty minutes west of the area between the cottage and the mansionorb.

Daryn still hasn't found anything but more cold and white and snow snow snow.

Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:56 pm

I will move closer to the crack, to see if I can get a better look at what it is.

(through the mental link): "Guys, I think I found something. It is a crack in the snow. I am going to get a little closer to investigate, no reason to bring everybody out if it is nothing."
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:26 pm

Having faith in the magics of the link and Syasalil, Daryn begins proceeding at a relatively fast pace through the snow, flying when the winds die down enough for him to do so, walking otherwise.
Last edited by shai-hulud on Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Does anyone else do anything out in the snow - or shall I keep this moving for the two of them?

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:35 pm

Syasalil will continue listening to the telepathic link to see what else Emily can discern ...

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:21 pm

As Emily looks down the chasm she sees that there's a long passage down - nearly straight down. There's no movement beyond the snow fall. She sidles closer to the edge to look straight down, taking care to spread her weight evenly - as it becomes evident that the chasm actually begins several yards back and in order to get to the opening she's had to walk on solid ice suspended over the mouth of the opening. Alas, the ice itself is virtually opaque and covered with snow. As she reaches the edge, she lays herself on the slab of ice and peers down the opening.

There's little to see in the darkness and no movement per se. But it's clear that there's a long way down and it would provide shelter from the worst of the weather.

Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:45 am

"Well, it looks like it goes pretty far down. If someone who can fly could come take a look. Being able to see in the dark would be a bonus as well."
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:11 am

Daryn says, "I can fly and see in the dark. If no one else is available, Syasalil, please guide me to Emily's location. If someone else is available, I will continue searching in this direction."

With the spells Daryn has active, he is a Wyrmling Silver Dragon (because of Shapechange), his flight speed is 100 ft, perfect maneuverability (because of Persistent Greater Wings of Air), and he has darkvision 120 ft., blindsense 30 ft. (because he is a dragon). I am not certain if his Reduce Person affects him while he is in dragon form. If it does, he is tiny.

Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Icefire » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:27 am

Bella listens as she waits with Syasalil. "Sounds like it could be worth investigating..."
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:50 am

shai-hulud wrote:<snip> I am not certain if his Reduce Person affects him while he is in dragon form. If it does, he is tiny.
OOC: The target of the Reduce Person spell is "One Humanoid Creature", and, as a dragon, you are no longer humanoid, so no, it shouldn't work.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:55 pm

OUT OF CHARACTER
Sunny, not sure if you follow the Sage's advice, but this is it from the FAQ:

[quote="FAQ pg 79"]If, while under the effect of a spell that depends on type (such as hold person), my character is transformed into a different creature type by polymorph*, does the spell’s effect remain?

Yes. A spell only checks to see if you are a legal target when it is cast. If you become an illegal target later (such as via the polymorph spell), the spell remains in effect.
*The question and answer uses “polymorph” to refer specifically to spells that rely on the polymorph or alter self spell to adjudicate their effect (including alter self, polymorph, polymorph any object, and shapechange), psionic powers based on the metamorphosis power (including metamorphosis and greater metamorphosis), and any other effect based on either of these lists.[/quote]

Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:01 pm

ooc: Hmmm... That is a good point. On the other hand, you shapechanged into a small silver dragon, not into a tiny silver dragon, and since you shapechanged after casting reduce person, I would say that any changes cause by reduce person were overwritten by the changes made by shapechange. But, I could see it going either way.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:06 pm

"As you wish, Daryn, but I can take a look for myself from here." Syasalil will use the Status spell to tell Daryn Emily's location, then use Sense Void (Void Disciple class feature) to investigate down the chasm.

OOC: Sense Void allows a spellcraft check to perceive whatever person, area, or thing Syasalil directs her attention to. Assuming Emily is still within 10 miles, the DC is 15, or 20 if she's within 100 miles. Sense void includes all physical, magical, empathic, and mental senses, and includes the ability to detect magic, detect evil, discern lies, and detect thoughts at will. With dragonsight, Syasalil's physical senses include low-light vision, darvision, and blindsense. So, Syasalil will sense void all the way down to the bottom of the chasm, continuing from there if there's anything of interest.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:05 pm

DAryn gets the info - and heads to Emily. Who finds that lying on the ice is not comfortable at all. (you actually start taking damage from the cold... 10 pts... believe it or not the first damage done by the cold yet.)

Do you move or wait for Daryn to arrive, taking the damage each turn?

Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:43 am

Finding that the ice is incredibly cold, I will carefully make my way back from the edge, and wait till Daryn arrives. "Syasalil, how is that scrying going? Is there anything in the crack? How far down is it?"

OOC: Even though I heal the damage almost instantly, it still hurts, so I will try to avoid it.

patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by patransom » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:44 pm

Syasalil sits in a lotus position on the floor, closing her eyes as she sends her senses out through the void. Through the telepathic link, she describes what she sees:

"The opening in the ground is sixty feet wide, but coated in ice so that only a five foot opening remains. The opening spans the 100 foot length of the chasm ..."

"Descending the chasm now ... the walls close in a bit from sixty feet down to fifty ... now they expand to more than 100 feet apart. The walls are smooth and the air seems warmer here. I can see scorch marks on the walls, either from fire or lightning, I know not which ..."

"I have reached a large chamber now. I am not sure how far down. The walls are nondescript save for a few scorch marks ... and something interferes with my senses here ... what can it be?"

"This is very strange ... what can interfere through the void? I am trying to determine what it is ... there is a large white dragon here ... it cannot sense me, as it should not ... but ... there is something behind the dragon ... its eye opens ... what? It stares at me? But how?"

Syasalil's thought speech goes silent.

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:03 am

Those of you in the room with her - see her head slump as if in slumber. The rest of you are unaware of anything but her silence.

What now?

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:37 pm

Is Daryn near at all to the crevice?

Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:46 pm

"Syasalil? Syasalil, what happened? Bella, are you still there with Syasalil? What is going on?"

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE

Post by Sunbolt » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:28 pm

Daryn makes his way past the "buildings" and to the crevice finding Emily waiting for him. There is otherwise no activity.

Emily has no idea he's there.

Syasalil lies there sleepily and does not respond to prompting.

(I'm going to be delayed for about a week as I put this play together - and then things should pick up - fast.)

Icefire
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by Icefire » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:39 am

"I am with her, but she is not responding..." Bella replies concerned.
Perearth: Tana Lattia, Monk of the Order of St. Cuthbert, human female
Brave New Peareath: Leenah, Viridian female rogue
TOS 100+: Belladona Southfarthing, halfling rogue/swashbuckler/thief acrobat

Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:33 am

"Bella, stay with her, and make her comfortable. It might even be a good idea to take her into the magical mansion. Daryn, whenever you get here, we can decide what we are going to do."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:52 am

Daryn says, "I just arrived. Syasalil said that he saw a white dragon with something behind it. Perhaps it is time to find out what that something is. If it likes white dragons, that is what I shall be when I head down there. What do you think?"

Tech Trooper
BARON
BARON

Post by Tech Trooper » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:30 am

Jax moves to Bella and sees if she needs any assistance with Syasalil.
Grug - Half-Ogre Fighter
Sharn: The Rising Night

Plagus - Chaos Gnome Cleric/War Mage Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

Yasmin - Human Paladin
Welcome to Perearth

Jax - Halfling Rogue/Beguiler/War Mage
TOS 100+

Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:20 pm

Emily Replies "That sounds good, but if you are undetectable, does it matter what form you are in? Also, do you want me to come down as well?"

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:59 pm

Daryn says, "Syasalil was not only undetectable, but was not even there, and he said the being was looking at him. I doubt my invisibility will mean much to whatever is there.

"Feel free to come with me. If you like, I can choose the form of a larger dragon and you can ride upon me."

Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:05 pm

"If you can't be sure of being undetected, then I would feel better going with you. We have only just met, and I would hate to lose a potential friend. If you want to stay small, I can just jump down, but riding a dragon would be cool."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:23 pm

Daryn changes form to either a Juvenile or Adult White Dragon (not sure if you are having my size category reduced for my dragon form, as well). My resulting size will be medium so that I am the proper size category for a small creature to ride.

"Emily, I am going to cast a True Seeing spell upon you. My casting power should be enough to defeat my own invisibility... hopefully... But regardless, you should be able to see much more than normal, just like me."

Assuming that Emily will not resist, Daryn casts True Seeing on Emily, hoping it will allow her to defeat his invisibility.

Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by Flinx » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:02 pm

OOC: I am medium, not small (I know, there are so many halflings in the group, it is hard to keep track of us humans :wink: )

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:36 pm

OOC: In that case, I become a Large white dragon, either an Adult or an Old white dragon (Old is the oldest age category I can become due to HD restrictions of my chosen form).

Return to “{PbP} The Outstanding Adventures of TOS 100+ [ENDED]”