Let the games begin --- again

An entirely abusive world in which level 100 characters have to band together or be wiped out as the world itself is subjected to the will of Sunbolt and the members of this forum! OR maybe it's just about fun role play. . . .
User avatar
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 1153
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post by Flinx » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:37 am

I will delay to see what happens.
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
Image
Image

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:11 pm

Your sense motives checks are in... you're getting the distinct impression that the dragons are curious, but not very interested in your proposal - they're clearly more interested in how you got here, and not at all happy about the idea of more of you coming. (ie they don't want/need worshipers so much as peace and quiet.) However, they still find you and your presence here interesting enough to let you continue.

(This is all in demeanor - so far they haven't said anything - and if some of you didn't have sense motives in the 100+ range... well.... anyway - daryn is the one who is speaking - but you are all telepathically linked, so even though he didn't make it himself... I'm sharing the info with the group - clearly he's bluffing the wrong argument... but he does have them convinced that he's telling the truth, for now....)

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5787
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:02 pm

Realizing his ruse is failing to have its desired impact, Daryn queries through the telepathic bond, "Should we just let them know that either they cooperate and tell us what we want to know or we destroy them before they have a chance to blink?"
Last edited by shai-hulud on Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 1153
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post by Flinx » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:35 pm

Emily grins, "Now that is my kind of negotiating."
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
Image
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:38 am

[Massive edit since I didn't catch the second part of Daryn's bluff at first ...]

Syasalil replies through the telepathic link, "Given my sense that a battle here would not be advantageous, I advise a more diplomatic tack. Dragons do not like to be threatened, especially by the smaller and younger races. And we've made no demonstration that we have the power to back up such a threat."

"It might be better to tell them that we seek only to know this mighty creature. If they do not wish our followers to intrude upon their territory, we can prevent that. Once we have met this creature and learned its will, we will depart and leave them in peace."
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5787
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:54 am

Daryn replies through the link, "There is no need for a battle. We can stop time, cast several delayed fireballs over them, dimension door away, then return when the dragons are dead. We have no need for a battle at all! If things don't go well, that is my suggestion, anyway. In the meantime, perhaps I can make these dragons less* uncomfortable."

Using his telepathy, he adds, The sooner we know the being we have come to serve, the sooner we can leave the great treasures we are bringing and return to our homelands where we will work to make more. Once every thousand years, our people will make a pilgrimage back here to bring to you the fruits of our labors! In this way, we hope the being our seer has sensed will take favor upon us and grant us prosperity and power! I know that great dragons would like nothing more than peace and quiet, so please, tell us about the being we seek and we will leave in short order!

Edit: I just realized I said the wrong thing through the link to the party (luckily not to the dragons). I said I wanted to make the dragons more uncomfortable. I meant *less* uncomfortable.
Last edited by shai-hulud on Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 1153
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post by Flinx » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:26 pm

Emily frowns, and replies through the link: "Where would the fun in that be? You mages take all of the thrill out of fighting."
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
Image
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Post by patransom » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:50 pm

Syasalil gives Emily a stern, disapproving look ;) then waits to see how the dragons react to Daryn's latest attempt.

Ready action remains the same if she gets the sense that the dragons aren't falling for it ...
Image

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Re: Let the games begin --- again

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:27 am

Daryn continues his ruse in another direction - the dragons are still waiting patiently - and this time do not respond. They have neither increased nor decreased their posture, and you're pretty certain that they aren't truly worried about this turning against them.

Then from behind you, you hear a slight rumbling, a "whoop" of air that is loud enough to hear over the roaring winds of the blizzard and you get the distinct feeling that something is rising from the chasm behind you.

This leaves you with a choice - you can watch in front of you where the two dragons are - or turn your backs on them to see what's coming out of the chasm. Or you could make a run for it - between the two dragons - or try spell casting in front of them....

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5787
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: Let the games begin --- again

Post by shai-hulud » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:23 pm

Daryn is still talking to the dragons. He would not turn his back on them. Whether they can see him or not, that would be rude.

To the dragons: Ah! This must be the creature we seek. We will ask you no more questions, then! Thank you for your time, great dragons! We will speak directly to the creature we serve!
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

User avatar
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 1153
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Re: Let the games begin --- again

Post by Flinx » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:58 am

I will continue to wait and see how this is going to develop, and follow the rest of the teams lead.

Through the link: "I don't like the idea of having enemies in front and behind us."
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
Image
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: Let the games begin --- again

Post by patransom » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:26 pm

Syasalil, without turning from the dragons, focuses her other senses on whatever it is that might be rising from chasm, trying to see if she can get a hint of what it is. (Listen +117, Blindsense 245 ft, detect magic instinctively, Sense Motive +113 to detect alignment and surface thoughts. Edit: oh yeah, and permanent detect poison, too ...)
Image

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Re: Let the games begin --- again

Post by Sunbolt » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:16 pm

Those of you looking see the snout of the largest dragon you've ever imagined. It makes huge look like tiny. It dwarfs the two white dragons already towering over you. And this is just its snout. In moments, it has risen it's neck out of the chasm, and the tips of its wings span the length of the opening. If the ice hadn't already broken, you doubt it could have possibly gotten out of there - unless it broke through on its own.
It has charcoal-gray scales the bear no ridges, giving the creature a very smooth look. An hour-glass-shaped mask of black scales surrounds its eyes. The rest of it is hidden from view by the edge of the chasm, or the blizzard's winds and snow.

"Serve me? Do you? Why would you want to do that?"

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: Let the games begin --- again

Post by patransom » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:56 am

Syasalil will let Daryn continue his ruse in answer to the very big dragon, but she's clearly worried. She attempts to determine what she can about the new arrival (Knowledge: Religion, Arcana, History, Nature, Planes, Psionics +70; Sense Motive +113; Bardic Knowledge +54. She'd really like to try to get a sense of the creature's alignment).

Readied action: should a battle begin, cast Dimension Door to the bottom of the chasm beneath the big dragon (she's seen the location from her void trip before), taking anyone in the party who's willing with her, putting the big enemy between us and the little enemies.
Image

User avatar
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 1153
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Re: Let the games begin --- again

Post by Flinx » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:43 pm

I will also wait to see what Daryn is planning, and trying to get a feel for what the big dragon is planning (Sense Motive +103)
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
Image
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: Let the games begin --- again

Post by patransom » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:58 pm

After a moment of thought, Syasalil adds, through the telepathic link, "This is no ordinary dragon - neither chromatic, nor metallic, nor a planar dragon. I might have heard a legend about such a dragon appearing throughout history every so often ... but I'm not sure.

Daryn, I think your approach is not fooling him. It only serves to amuse him for the time being ... In any case, I sense no evil in any of these dragons. I think, perhaps, that a more truthful approach might serve us better now ..."
Syasalil appears ready to begin conversation with the large dragon herself, awaiting only any cautions from the others before doing so.
Image

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Re: Let the games begin --- again

Post by Sunbolt » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:52 am

The dragon watches you and starts to grow just the slightest bit board.

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: Let the games begin --- again

Post by patransom » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:16 pm

With no objections from anyone, Syasalil speaks to the dragon:

"Mighty dragon, I apologize for my comrade’s attempts at deception. You must understand that it is in our nature to be wary when faced with the unknown, particularly when it takes the form of a being as powerful as yourself.

"I am Syasalil, High Seer of Sehanine Moonbow, and I believe it is in our interest to reveal fully our reason for venturing into your domain. In the lands far to the south, we have, through investigation and divination, discerned a threat to that which we hold dear. A coven of witches, in service to some unknown deity, being, or force, is acting to summon something terrible. Something old, older than old. Something that needs more.

"To investigate the threat of this summoning, we used a Finder’s Stone. It brought us here. While you have may little interest in the concerns of the lands to the south, I believe the Stone would not have brought us to you without a reason. Perhaps you might provide us with some information or guidance that will further our investigation?"


Diplomacy +123
Image

Sunbolt
DUKE
DUKE
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 am
Location: Fl
Contact:

Re: Let the games begin --- again

Post by Sunbolt » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:11 am

As you speak the dragon rises more from the chasm, until it is fully perched on the lip. Those of you who have never seen a dragon before simply gape at it's size. It makes a castle seem like a doll house. For those of you who have seen dragons before you are simply amazed. This dragon makes the greatest of great wyrms look small. It is larger than colossal, larger than a battle ship, larger than any one being, building, or natural formation you have ever seen short of a mountain.

As you gaze into his massive eyes, each of you finding the will power to meet this dragon's stare, you start to see something of a reaction. He's gone from being simply amused to, possibly, slightly impressed.

"A finder's stone is a dangerous object to use - it will send you anywhere to secure the resources you need - and you must be prepared for anything. And in my hoard, there is indeed an object that can affect the summoning. Two in fact, one to aid it - to speed it to the now, and one that will delay or possibly, stop it forever. Which would you request from me - and what will you offer to me in return?

User avatar
Flinx
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.
Posts: 1153
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA

Re: Let the games begin --- again

Post by Flinx » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:39 pm

Emily thinks to the others "Wow... That is one big dragon. Well, I don't know what item of treasure that we could offer such a magnificent beast, but I have heard that sometime that they treasure beautiful experiences as much if not more than gold. If this wondrous being is one who feels that way, then I would be willing to sing and dance for him. Not to brag, but I have herd from many that it is an experience worth a fortune."
R.I.P. Ernest Gary Gygax, July 27, 1938 - March 4, 2008 - You will be critically missed

TOS+ - Crash, Minotaur Male Favored Soul
Image Marsaili - Human Female Bard
Image Emily - Human Female Scout / Fighter / Dervish
Image Valor - Warforged Knight
Image
Image

User avatar
patransom
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Arlington, Virginia

Re: Let the games begin --- again

Post by patransom » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:07 pm

Syasalil responds to Emily, "I have seen you dance and agree it is a thing of great worth ... perhaps the most valuable thing we have to offer. A good suggestion. I also think we should request both items, one to use and the other to protect it from our enemies. Before I continue the negotiation, does anyone have other thoughts on the matter?"
Image

User avatar
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor
Posts: 5787
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:47 am
Location: Waterbury, CT

Re: Let the games begin --- again

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:28 pm

Daryn thinks about draconic desires and remembers that their spirits are in part tied to their hoard in some way. Likely, it is the power of the item which provides the dragon with its bond to it. Based on their approximate location, Daryn thinks of any artifacts he knows in the area which the party may be capable of recovering. Should he succeed, he will offer the possibility that they recover any items he can think of. Should he fail, he will offer that they ask the dragon what it may value in trade that the group could retrieve for it.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Post Reply

Return to “{PbP} The Outstanding Adventures of TOS 100+ [ENDED]”