EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Character Creation

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:47 pm

Recommended Races:
Warforged or Warforged Scout

Starting information about the setting: It takes place in Eberron

Starting Level: 1st

Starting classes: Gestalt (combinations not listed in Unearthed Arcana must be approved)

Starting Stats: 38 point buy, which is enough for the elite array of 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8

Current players: 9 / ?? ( Max players will be a multiple of 4 most likely. If I have more than 4, I will split it up into two parties to keep the groups small. This should maximize validations.)

Post to this thread if you are interested in playing. If you want a race other than warforged, that will be acceptable, but I still recommend you reconsider. I will suggest taking plenty of ranks in Swim and having a very high constitution score if you go non-warforged.

As always, taking players who are not currently in a PbP game first. Slots are first-come-first serve. We will probably begin in a week or two.

Edit: Don't worry about starting equipment for right now. We will get to that.

Edit: This campaign requires TOS+. I will not accept any .mcs files.
Last edited by shai-hulud on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 10 times in total.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:05 pm

I'd like to apply !

R

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:14 pm

Of course, understanding the idea of New Players first, I would also like to throw my hat in.

I have been reading through the other campaign you are running and absolutely enjoy it.

egyas
Soldier
Soldier

Post by egyas » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:19 pm

I'd like to play. This would be my first PbP campaign. :)

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:21 am

For those who are interested, please send me your ideas for class combinations.

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:31 pm

Rather then make assumptions, max hp at 1rst level?

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:57 pm

Yes, max hp for first level. Also, I have received a couple of questions about my comment about Swim. I was not trying to indicate that there will be a lot of underwater activity. All I meant by that is I am designing this campaign for what a party of warforged would be capable of. Some things, other races will not be capable of completing (like scavenging the bottom of a lake for a lost item). Other things that will be difficult for non-warforged will be healing in the Mournlands, 24 hour/day travel, traveling through poisonous terrain, energy drain, getting prepared quickly (a warforged as always ready since he never needs to don armor and if he chooses, can attach weapons to himself).

So, it is possible to play a nonwarforged character, but that is really not what the campaign is designed for. Undead or deathless characters would work fine, though, but it is difficult to start first level as undead or deathless.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:48 pm

Also, here is some information about Warforged in general:

Taken from Player's Guide to Eberron:
  • Living Constructs

The warforged are living constructs--machines made to serve as soldiers during the Last War. They are massive, powerful creatures built in a generally humanoid shape from materials such as iron, stone, obsidian, and darkwood. Warforged are genderless (although the personalities of individual warforged can seem masculine or feminine). Their bodies are made up of flexible plates interconnected by fibrous bundles somewhat resembling muscle. The head of a warforged is mostly featureless, though an individual sometimes decorates or augments itself to create a recognizable face. Every warforged has one distinctive feature: the unique symbol carved on its forehead.

As a general rule, warforged do not have particularly expressive personalities. In fact, the emotion most often attributed to them is vague disinterest or lingering resentment. This situation is only exacerbated by the fact that many don't even have names. Warforged were made for the sole purpose of fighting in the Last War, so not a lot of effort was devoted to instilling them with interesting personalities, animated expressions, or the need for a particular sense of identity.

That is not to say that warforged have no opinions or feelings. Despite their origins, they are sentient creatures, each possessing a complex array of likes, dislikes, preferences, and even hates. They simply are not naturally good at expressing those feelings. Warforged may spend years trying to find a name they think adequately sums up their tastes, personality, and goals. People who have spent time with different members of the race compare them to snowflakes or flowers--from a distance they seem uniform, but looking closely reveals myriad complexities and great individual beauty.

The warforged were created by House Cannith under commission from King Jarot of Galifar during his final years. Jarot wanted construct warriors that could protect the kingdom from attacks by monster hordes and invasions from overseas. However, with Jarot's death and the start of the Last War, the warforged went immediately to the front lines of the internal battle that would soon consume the Five Nations.

The first few versions of the warforged were simple constructs--automatons that followed their owners' commands and had no ability to think for themselves. As House Cannith improved the creation process, though, the warforged became more and more autonomous, gaining the ability to make decisions, improvise, and eventually think for themselves. The first sentient warforged were created in 965 YK.

For the remainder of the Last War, House Cannith sold warforged soldiers to anyone who could afford them. Breland, Thrane, and Cyre had the largest contingents of warforged troops, and their highly visible presence among the armies of the Last War inextricably linked them with that conflict in the popular imagination. Virtually every front-page story about events in the last decade of the war features lurid illustrations of warforged soldiers marching, drenched in blood. This accounts for much of the difficulty faced by the warforged in this time of peace: They have come to symbolize the Last War, and all that was painful and destructive about the conflict.

During the war, warforged were considered to be the property of whatever army paid for their creation. The warforged did not object to this--it was, after all, the reason they had been made. But when the Treaty of Thronehold ended the Last War, it was decided that the warforged would be treated as sentient beings, possessed (according to some) of living souls. With free will and intelligent thought, they would be regarded as citizens of their respective nations, not as property.

However, writing this emancipation into the Thronehold Accords was one thing; putting it into practice has proven to be quite another. In every nation, the warforged face some degree of prejudice, much of it fed by wartime images from the chronicles. The expressionless faces of the warforged reveal no remorse, compounding this animosity and making the warforged seem more like objects than people. Worse, the governments of Thrane and Karrnath use the application of indentured servitude to effectively keep their warforged enslaved--insisting that all warforged pay back the costs incurred in their creation before citizenship is granted to them, then making sure that they never can.

The tragic aspect of the warforged is that they were created as social creatures. The tactics of a successful soldier rely as much on cooperation and teamwork as they do on brute strength and inhuman endurance, and the warforged excelled at teamwork as they did all aspects of combat. Warforged now find themselves cut off from their past military lives, searching for a group to belong to.

Some warforged have chosen to gather in communities of their own, particularly in the Mournland under the banner of the Lord of Blades. The Lord of Blades does not appeal to many warforged, however, and the majority seeks companionship among humanoids. Some find it involving heavy lifting, dangerous work conditions, or dealing with unpleasant materials. Others discover the camaraderie of an adventuring party, finding their sense of belonging in the purpose for which they were made--fighting shoulder to shoulder or back to back with an ally.

No New Warforged
    There is no denying that warforged are living creatures, but the fact remains that they are constructs--assembled and then imbued with life through a mechanical process. As such, they are not capable of bearing children, nor can they simply create offspring for themselves. The construction process is a complex one, and it requires a creation forge--a device that only House Cannith knows how to make and use.

When the Treaty of Thronehold granted the warforged status as citizens of their various nations, it also specificed that no more warforged would be made. House Cannith was to deactivate and dismantle all their creation forges, and so the number of warforged in the world would never increase from the last day of the war. This was not especially bothersome to most warforged, since few had any desire or need to procreate--they had enough difficulty simply fitting into society.

However, rumors persist that new warforged are being created. One such rumor centers on an enigmatic figure known as the Lord of Blades. It is said that this renegade warforged is gathering the most disaffected and violent members of his kind somewhere in the ruins of theMournland, and that they have found a battered creation forge and nursed it back to working condition. However, the resulting warforged are said to have strange mutations and defects. Another rumor speaks of new warforged suddenly appearing on the streets of Sharn with no memory of how they got there or who created them. These individuals might be suffering from some kind of damage done to them during the war, or may simply have defective parts, but the fact that this phenomenon is occurring only in Sharn makes those possibilities less likely.
Additional Warforged Feat to consider:

Overload Metabolism [Warforged]
You can heal damage at a cost to your other physical attributes.
  • Prerequisite: Warforged, Str 13, Con 13.
    Benefit: Once per day as a standard action, you can excite your warforged metabolism to heal a number of hit points equal to 5 + your HD. Doing this incurs a -2 penalty to your Strength and Dexterity scores for 10 minutes.

If you are unconscious and have not yet used this ability, any infusion that targets you automatically activates it.

rednetra
DUKE
DUKE

Post by rednetra » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:14 pm

I would like in if i can

Nargath
Level 14 Contributor
Level 14 Contributor

Post by Nargath » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:51 pm

I would like to play as well, I keep not putting my hand up for these things :)
Although I have never played a gestalt character before. Is there anything I really need to know, apart from it is like playing 2 classes side-by-side?

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:13 am

Nope, that's about it. Pretty much, I want the party to be able to last through several encounters before tiring. That is the point of gestalt. You will find yourself not running out of energy after several tough encounters.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:32 pm

I will set Friday, August 3 as the deadline for getting character concepts to me. TOS files will by or before Monday, August 6, for those characters that I approve.

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:14 pm

Well, we will be delaying the start of the game for v1.3. It will make some of this a bit easier, and some a bit harder. For many of the custom classes, the spell lists will need to be redone.

Return to “{PbP} The Fight for Eberron [FULL][ENDED]”