Binding made easy!!!

Home Sweet Shattered Home.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Binding made easy!!!

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:47 pm

Lesser Planar Binding is the lowest level spell capable of binding a creature. But, certain creatures are susceptible to binding while others require coersion. Creatures most susceptible to binding are those with no will of their own. These creatures can actually be bound without a spell. Mere force of will and a khyber dragonshard can accomplish the task.

Any character, regardless of spellcasting ability, can bind a mindless creature into a Khyber dragonshard by succeeding on first an opposed charisma check (the target receives its hit dice as a bonus on the check). Next, the character must expend experience in the amount of 50 XP/HD of the creature to be bound. For creatures up to four hit dice, this can be accomplished without any feats. Beyond that, there are binding feats which can be taken.

What exactly does binding do for you? Why is it good to have bound creatures?

In Eberron, bound elementals power airships, the lightning rail, and all manner of other enhancements. These are creatures of intellect, and as such, they are immune to simple binding. They also provide more powerful benefits from being bound. Ordinarily, binding a mindless creature would have little effect, other than filling a khyber shard with a useless binding. But, in this setting, these lesser bindings become quite valuable. Most of you have at least an idea what I am talking about.

Different sizes of Khyber shards are required to bind different creatures. A small khyber shard might be capable of binding a creature with relatively few hit dice while a very large shard would be required for a creature with many hit dice. There are even theories among your respective encampments about what would happen if a shard large enough were bound with multiple creatures. The power such a thing could achieve would mimic the power of the cataclysms of the giants and the creation of the Mournland.

One binding feat that can be taken is in the Eberron Campaign Setting (Bind Elemental). There are others that will become available as you increase in level. For now, if you have any questions, please post them.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

admin
-={ CREATOR }=-
-={ CREATOR }=-

Post by admin » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:10 pm

I'm not sure I understand where this is going....

Khyber shards? Is that the recipient for a binding?
why would I want to put an elemental in a gem?

Ok for Airships, but that does not seem very useful on a "poor" PC's point of view... How would it be useful to get a feat to do this??

R

klakxor
Retired Global Op.
Retired Global Op.

Post by klakxor » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:42 pm

Certain items and abilities can use the power in the khyber shard. Some weapons allow you connect a khyber shard to them.

Lets say I have a fire elemntal trapped in a khyber shard. Attach it to my weapon and I can make it a flameburst. Stuff like that.

Correct me if I am wrong Shai

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:58 pm

klakxor is correct. Many of the magic items in the Eberron Campaign Setting have been converted to Dragonshard items. Pretty much, they accomplish the same thing as the traditional items, but they require a dragonshard to create them. The dragonshards are kind of like the basic building blocks of magical items. Khyber dragonshards happen to possess the ability to bind creatures. In traditional magic, only elementals have been found useful to bind into Khyber dragonshards. In this setting, you will find it is useful to bind just about anything into a dragonshard. Every creature might possess a different property that could be useful. Trial and error will play a large part in this. Some of your quests may be quests of discovery, to discover how things work, and to experiment.

Additionally, I did not say this, but in order for a creature to be ready to be bound, it must be stationary. They must be on the cusp of death to be bound without magics. Undead creatures cannot be bound (once they are brought to the cusp of death, they are destroyed). There is a feat that is available to you at first level:

Vermin Binding
While the name suggests that only vermin can be bound, this is not entirely accurate. This process works on any mindless creature.
Prerequisites: Caster level 1
Benefit: Mindless creatures of any hit dice can be bound without expending the normal amount of XP. They must still be rendered immobile for the duration of the binding ritual, which requires an amount of ground Siberys dragonshards equal in gp to the amount of XP the ritual would ordinarily require. For example, a cleric of the Silver Flame decides to bind a Gargantuan Monstrous Spider into a khyber shard. Once he renders it immobile through his attacks, he must prepare 800gp in ground Siberys shards (a gargantuan monstrous spider has 16 hit dice, so 16x50=800).

Richard, in response for what can this do for you... your character would believe nothing. He has never experienced a use for this form of binding.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

Image Kolgu 'Sparky' Dermott: Android Rogue/Wizard
Image Garrick Cae'Sarr: Human Bard
Image Hormy Noodzo: Goblin Hunter

Return to “{PbP} The Fight for Eberron [FULL][ENDED]”