Action Points (From pages 45-46 of the ECS)

Home Sweet Shattered Home.
shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Action Points (From pages 45-46 of the ECS)

Post by shai-hulud » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:01 pm

Eberron Campaign Setting pg. 45 wrote:Action Points

Action points provide a player with the means to alter d20 rolls in dramatic situations, reflecting the luck that can change crushing failure into heroic success. Your character has a limited number of action points, and you must use them wisely, since you don't replenish this supply until your character attains a new level.

You can spend an action point to improve the result of an attack roll, a skill check, an ability check, a level check, or a saving throw. Certain feats and prestige class features allow you to spend action points in different ways, but this is their most basic use.

When you spend an action point, you add the result of a roll of 1d6 to your d20 roll to help you meet or exceed the target number for the roll. You can declare that you are spending an aciton point after you have already rolled the d20, but you must do so before the Dungeon Master reveals the result of your roll (whether the attack roll or check or saving throw succeeded or failed). You can't use an action point on a skill check or ability check when you are taking 10 or taking 20.
--This is why I am allowing you to declare ranges where I will add the action point. You know what you can roll, now you just need to decide what range you would want to add an action point to.--
Eberron Campaign Setting pg. 46 wrote:You can only use action points once in a round. If you spend 1 or more action points on a special action (see below), you can't spend a point in the same round to improve a die roll, and vice versa. No spell, power, or other special ability can allow a character to reroll an action point die. If a character suffers permanent level loss, he does not lose any action points he has remaining, and any subsequent level advancement provides new action points as normal.
Special Actions
Instead of altering the result of a d20 roll, you can use action points to perform one of the special actions described below. In addition, some prestige classes and feats allow you to spend action points to gain or activate specific abilities.

Activate Class Feature: You can spend 2 action points to gain another use of one of the following class features that has a limited number of uses per day: bardic music, rage, smite evil, Stunning Fist, turn or rebuke undead, or wild shape.

Hasten Infusion: On his turn, an artificer can spend 1 action point to imbue an infusion in 1 round, even if the infusion's casting time is normally longer than 1 round.

Stabilize: When your character is dying, you can spend 1 action point to stabilize at your current hit point total. Spending an action point does nothing for you if you're already dead.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
"Danger is like Jello. There's always room for more."

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:02 am

Format for posting an action point:
  • Action point activity - modified low bound - modified high bound (optional - special conditions)

Example:
    Attack roll - 8 - 12

This would mean that if I roll your attack roll and it winds up between eight and 12, I apply an action point which adds 1d6 to you die roll. You can ask to use an action point every round if you like (provided you still have action points to spend). In that example, there is only a 25% chance that an action point would be applied.

If you have multiple actions that could potentially benefit from an action point, you can give me bounds for each of them. I will place each action in order. If one of previous conditions were met, all following conditions would be ignored. Example:

I tumble past four enemies, then make a grapple check on a fifth. I create action point activities for each roll I am making:

Tumble - 11 - 14
    Tumble - 13 - 16 - if previous tumble roll failed, do not apply action point
    Tumble - 15 - 18 - if previous tumble roll failed, do not apply action point
    Tumble - 17 - 20 - if previous tumble roll failed, do not apply action point
    Attack - 10 - 15
    Grapple - 5 - 10

Now, the first condition to be met gets the action point. All future conditions are ignored and modified rolls (without action points) are evaluated for action success/failure.

guysorrow
VISCOUNT
VISCOUNT

Post by guysorrow » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:25 pm

just to make it clear, i only have to post about action points when i want to use them. if i post nothing you will assume i am not using them right?
The First Campaign - Kelran, Human Scout
The Madragar Campaign - Tromble Kimerry, Halfling Performer
TOS+ Campaign - Vaykor, Chitine Monk/Kensai
TOS 100+ Campaign - Garias, Admiral of the Lord's Navy

shai-hulud
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by shai-hulud » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:01 pm

Correct

Return to “{PbP} The Fight for Eberron [FULL][ENDED]”