*** FORUM UPGRADE *** COMPLETED ***

Archives of the Old News.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

*** FORUM UPGRADE *** COMPLETED ***

Post by admin »

Folks, be advised:

I will start work on upgrading the forum to a newer version of PHPBB. While normally this has no impact on you (i.e. you usually do not even notice these updates!), this time around, the 'newer' update makes some changes which will break the existing "Dice Mod" of the forum. This means that the current dice system used on the forum will soon be gone, as that mod is not compatible with the NEW forum update. The *is* a newer mod that handles dice (and it should be even better then before!) but all previous rolls will be lost.

I will try to make the transition as smooth as possible,
Thank you for your understanding!
admin
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Re: *** FORUM UPGRADE ***

Post by admin »

*UPDATE*

I have been doing some reading/learning to prepare for this upgrade, and the guys at phpbb have came up with yet another major upgrade! They went from 3.1 to 3.2 ... and it seems there a MANY reports of problems with the latest upgrade. Because of this, I will put this work on hold until the 3.2 version/upgrade is more stable.

admin
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

admin wrote:*UPDATE*

I have been doing some reading/learning to prepare for this upgrade, and the guys at phpbb have came up with yet another major upgrade! They went from 3.1 to 3.2 ... and it seems there a MANY reports of problems with the latest upgrade. Because of this, I will put this work on hold until the 3.2 version/upgrade is more stable.

admin
The 3.2 version is stable!
I need to upgrade this forum to the latest version - actually, I have no choice in the matter: It would appear the board is causing some input/output Fault on my Provider's server, and they are none too happy with this. I strongly suspect that the old DICE MOD is causing this... That mod is no longer supported, and isn't compatible with PHPBB 3.2 anyways... so it has to go.

I'll be working on upgrading the board... Once that is up and working, I'll take a look at adding an alternative dice roller Mod, compatible with the current version (AND supported!)
Alas, we'll lose all previous dice rolls... but that can't be helped.

Very sorry for any inconveniences this may impart to you guys.

admin
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

FORUM UPGRADE completed!

I was successful in updating the old version to the latest version of PHPBB, as you can probably see in the slight change in style of the forum!
As I mentioned, the old dicemod module was not compatible with this update (the dicemod was abandoned some time ago by its author, and thus never updated to follow the PHPBB versions)

So yeah, we lost all existing dice rolls.... sorry 'bout that :(
I will soon be hunting for a NEW dice mod, one that is supported and follows the latest version of PHPBB. In the mean time, perhaps THIS can be used?

admin
P.S. Wanna see new posts since last you logged-in? Try the QuickLink button at the top left!
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Re: *** FORUM UPGRADE *** COMPLETED ***

Post by patransom »

Looks like the other custom codes aren't working with the upgrade (see below). Is that expected?

[AE]Active effects[/AE]

[ooc]Out of character[/ooc]
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

patransom wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:33 pm Looks like the other custom codes aren't working with the upgrade (see below). Is that expected?

[AE]Active effects[/AE]

[ooc]Out of character[/ooc]
Indeed, those were custom stuff (and I completely forgot to note them *before* I erased the previous forum... *sigh*)
I'll work on re-creating them... :(

admin
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

admin wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:58 pm Indeed, those were custom stuff (and I completely forgot to note them *before* I erased the previous forum... *sigh*)
I'll work on re-creating them... :(
admin
Investigated the BBCODE issues we've been experiencing and it seems it is a problem new to phpbb 3.2 ... :(
I posted a support request on the PHPBB forum, but so far no luck/help...

I'll keep digging, but the main issue is that the phpbb devs changed the parsing engine, and this new engine does not seem able to support the delimiter used in our custom BBCodes. So that's bad news for now. I'll keep you guys posted as I get new info.

admin
patransom
Divine Rank 1
Divine Rank 1

Post by patransom »

Not really a huge issue. It makes a lot of the old posts in PbP hard to read, but we can work around it going forward.
Image Humble Servant of the Wormgod
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

patransom wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:11 pm Not really a huge issue. It makes a lot of the old posts in PbP hard to read, but we can work around it going forward.
yeah.. but I think it's a bug in their new implementation - I found something and reported it in that thread...!
Hoping they confirm they have a bug and eventually fix it! *crossing fingers*

admin
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Allright!
After many days of work, I've been able to recreate the BBCODES we need for play!
I discovered flaws in their new implementation, and I had to work around those limitations...

As I mentioned, we ain't got no DICE roll anymore :( so please suggest alternatives (I think the Invisible Castle dice roller is dead, so an alternative that keeps results online will be needed)

Also for those posting using the [1effect], or [2effect] bbcodes - we can't start bbcodes with digits anymore, so I renamed them to: Effet1, Effect 2 ... Effect6. Unfortunately, that won't change the 'existing' posts - I'll have to manually edit those.
Message from the Moderator:
Feel free to send me a Private Message with a post (i.e the link) where I need to update these bbcodes!
admin
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

I am not sure if this will work, but there is a site called rolz.org. Here is the out put from a test of that site.

[url=https://rolz.org/info?X2815612]9]Image[/url

For some reason the link is not working, but I am wondering if it because I was a guest and not in a room????
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

kabkal wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:14 am I am not sure if this will work, but there is a site called rolz.org. Here is the out put from a test of that site.
Does that site logs in rolls on an account? (i.e. someone can see "all* the rolls made on an account) - You also want to include a short text with your roll... (example: Dregs: round 3 attack vs goblin: 1d20+3)

The minimum requirements for an online roller should be (as Invisible Castle did):
  • Keeps a log of the rolls made by a player
  • Allows a DM to 'see' the logs of all rolls from a player
  • Includes comments so that rolls can be distinguished between each other
Now that I think about it, it would be possible for ME to own such a rolling tool on my hosted server - not for the whole internet, but at least for the community here!! I wonder if that would be possible... *needs to research this!*

admin
kabkal
Divine Rank 13
Divine Rank 13

Post by kabkal »

Site has been down since I last posted, so I can not test anymore.
Image Lola: Amazon/Cleric
Image BART 1173: Andriod/Pisterol
ImageDM of We Just Stopped Here...
ImageMach Agh: Goblin/Barbarian

Return to “The Lost Writings [Old News]”