[NEWS] MAC support discontinued

Click HERE to request access to the FORUM if you have not already done so after subscribing
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

[NEWS] MAC support discontinued

Post by admin »

Folks,

I am sorry to report my inability to continue to support the MAC version of my products... It is simply untenable.

Making my products compatible with Mac has been a constant source of issues, problems and headaches, and I simply do not have the resources nor the energy to continue supporting that platform.

So as of today, all my main products (TOS+, TOS FIVE and TOS 2nd CORE edition) will officially be tagged as "Does not work on Mac Excel" from now on. Of course if you have a current version that already works on your Mac, that won't change. But updates will not.

I heard that some people use a virtual version of a Windows machine with Excel on a Mac to good effect... So that is an option for those willing to go that route.

admin
cmaeckel
Peasant
Peasant

Re: [NEWS] MAC support discontinued

Post by cmaeckel »

Sorry to hear that. Much like the last version compatible with Excel 2003, please leave the last Mac compatible version in the download forum.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

cmaeckel wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:50 am Sorry to hear that. Much like the last version compatible with Excel 2003, please leave the last Mac compatible version in the download forum.
I have not actively removed any of the MAC code from The Sheet - meaning that the *current* version is as good as it gets.
Note that Mac Excel 2011 was the best version that could handle The Sheet without any detectable issues...!

If there is a specific version you'd like to see, let me know and I'll put it up.

admin
Uncle Traveling Matt
Horseman
Horseman

Post by Uncle Traveling Matt »

Sad, but I understand. The difference in Micro$oft products from Window$ to Mac are very challenging. I applaud your persistence in overcoming them to this point.

What is the last version of TOS that contains Mac Excel support? I would like to make sure I grab it for my next projects.

Thanks

FYI - I tried the latest version (6.1.15) and it crashed Excel 2011 on my Mac Version 14.7.7 (170905)
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Uncle Traveling Matt wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:18 pm What is the last version of TOS that contains Mac Excel support? I would like to make sure I grab it for my next projects.
I don't know.
I did not specifically remove any of the Mac support code in any of my products... yet issues with Mac keep appearing... :(
surrender.jpg
surrender.jpg (4.84 KiB) Viewed 53829 times
SeanB
EPIC Contributor
EPIC Contributor

Post by SeanB »

if you are interested in futzing with mac version again, I can open up my mac to your use again. I have 2 macs at home and both have excel O365 for mac. just let me know and I can hook you up again :)

Sean
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Thank you for the offer - I'll keep that in mind should I get enough courage to battle the differences in Mac Excel...!

admin
silentguardian wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:26 am if you are interested in futzing with mac version again, I can open up my mac to your use again. I have 2 macs at home and both have excel O365 for mac. just let me know and I can hook you up again :)

Sean
Hiro Quester
Knight
Knight

Post by Hiro Quester »

FYI, for those wondering which versions work, I have been using 5.170 (build 8) on a Mac, with the latest Excel and that version still works fine. It just does not have some of the new features. But for my (not simple) needs it works just fine.

I tried version 6.139 and it worked, but loading stalled for almost 10 minutes, and it stalls again after changes.

However, I just tried 6.152, and it seems to be working with one minor issue on Mac Excel.

Microsoft Visual Basic pops up an error saying
"Microsoft Visual Basic
Compile error in hidden module: 'Version'. This error commonly occurs when code is incompatible with the version, platform, or architecture of this application"
Just dismiss that error. Every time you make a change an error will pop up saying
Microsoft Visual Basic
Can't find project or library

You then need to dismiss a popup asking for a password.

But apart from that annoying error, everything (so far) seems to work on a Mac. Admin might be able to clarify whether that project or library VB can't find is crucial for features I didn't test. But I have not yet found any, after doing mundane things like selecting options on the laptop sheet, leveling up, changing weapon qualities, changing skill points, etc.

So unless you need features that 6.152+ might implement, 5.170 seems to work just dandy on a Mac with Excel. 6.152 works fine too (so far), but with that annoying error popping up all the time.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Hiro Quester wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:33 am But apart from that annoying error, everything (so far) seems to work on a Mac. Admin might be able to clarify whether that project or library VB can't find is crucial for features I didn't test. But I have not yet found any, after doing mundane things like selecting options on the laptop sheet, leveling up, changing weapon qualities, changing skill points, etc
I sent you a test version which removes the version stuff which is not MAC-compatible on MAC Excel...
Please test this out, thanks!!

admin
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Thanks to Hiro Quester's feedback, I made a Mac-specific version of TOS+, which is available HERE.

Please note that am I NOT claiming MAC support, but I am told the version I posted works on the latest version of Mac Excel...

admin
Hiro Quester
Knight
Knight

Post by Hiro Quester »

Thanks for making that change! as far as I can tell it works well.

I'll post here if I notice a problem that seems Mac-related and not due to my own shenanigans or partially competent use of T0S.
admin
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-
-={ ARCHMAGE }=-

Post by admin »

Hiro Quester wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:46 pm Thanks for making that change! as far as I can tell it works well.

I'll post here if I notice a problem that seems Mac-related and not due to my own shenanigans or partially competent use of T0S.
Do share your Mac Excel version in case someone else wishes to test this out and has a different experience - thanks!!

admin

Return to “The Town Crier [Public News]”